Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

The danger of using a ride app

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

The danger of using a ride app

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-20, 09:21 AM
hillyman
WALSTIB

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 280 Post(s)
Liked 384 Times in 183 Posts
Originally Posted by mstateglfr
1984 v

Is it government overreach and mass surveillance if we choose to be tracked? This is simply user generated interest which isnt at all a theme of 1984.
That book is over referenced.
Bet your fun at parties.

Old 06-10-20, 09:30 AM
powermatt99

Bikes: Felt VR5, '85 Trek 520, '84 Trek 890

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 16 Times in 8 Posts
Fortunately, we can decide whether or not to use this technology. You get to decide how much other people know, for the most part.
Likes For powermatt99:
Old 06-10-20, 09:32 AM
friday1970

Bikes: Optima Baron LR, '14 Nishiki Maricopa,'87 Trek 330 Elance, '89 Miyata 1400, '85 Peugeot PGN10, '04 Fuji Ace, '06 Giant Rincon, '95 Giant Allegre, '83 Trek 620, '86 Schwinn High Sierra

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 225 Post(s)
Liked 163 Times in 107 Posts
Originally Posted by MattTheHat
I'm pretty sure I don't interest many stalkers.
Neither did the person referenced in the article. He just happened to be near the area where another person knocked over BLM signs. A twitter person decided the strava user was the culprit based on heat data and then doxxed him.

Because of that article, I've made my Strava much more private. I've got nothing to hide, but no reason to give that info away either, especially to the SJW/Karen crowd.
Old 06-10-20, 09:40 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,098 Times in 5,054 Posts
Originally Posted by downhillmaster
I am not sure what is more amusing.
That so many insignificant people believe that they are in any danger of being stalked.
Or that those same people believe that they are safeguarding themselves from a potential stalker by not using an exercise tracking app.
Their tin foil hats must be uncomfortable to wear in the summertime
And there you go with your usual trolling.

What I do for a living often puts me into an oppositional relationship with people of questionable mental health and/or violent tendencies, many of whom live in my immediate home area. You're damn straight I don't care to make my riding habits too easy to find online. As far as security settings, I'm pretty sure I'd screw those up from time to time, and would rather not have to worry about it.

I know there's some risk to riding out in public, there's nothing crazy about avoiding something of very limited benefit that makes that risk any higher.
Old 06-10-20, 09:43 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Go right ahead and enjoy your data-free ride. You’ve been granted permission from the interwebs.

I get data, I just don't use an app that blasts it out to everyone.
Likes For livedarklions:
Old 06-10-20, 09:46 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

I'm pretty sure I don't interest many stalkers.

I've had a couple of bona fide stalkers try to hire me to defend them. You'd be amazed how random their obsessions can be.
Likes For livedarklions:
Old 06-10-20, 09:48 AM
MattTheHat 

Bikes: 2021 S-Works Turbo Creo SL, 2020 Specialized Roubaix Expert

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 762 Post(s)
Liked 4,035 Times in 1,429 Posts
Originally Posted by friday1970
Neither did the person referenced in the article. He just happened to be near the area where another person knocked over BLM signs. A twitter person decided the strava user was the culprit based on heat data and then doxxed him.

Because of that article, I've made my Strava much more private. I've got nothing to hide, but no reason to give that info away either, especially to the SJW/Karen crowd.
It just doesn't seem like the end of the world to me. If it did, I guess I would worry more about my ride data. The chances of my ride data causing a problem for me is many, many, many times less likely to cause any real danger than the act of riding a bicycle on the road in the first place. And to be honest, I don't worry much about that.

I can think of scenarios where other riders would justifiably feel much differently. But I would think they would have already known that before reading the article.
Old 06-10-20, 09:52 AM
MattTheHat 

Originally Posted by livedarklions

What I do for a living often puts me into an oppositional relationship with people of questionable mental health and/or violent tendencies, many of whom live in my immediate home area. You're damn straight I don't care to make my riding habits too easy to find online. As far as security settings, I'm pretty sure I'd screw those up from time to time, and would rather not have to worry about it.

I know there's some risk to riding out in public, there's nothing crazy about avoiding something of very limited benefit that makes that risk any higher.
Yep, I can see that. I can also see someone who left an abusive relationship wanting to avoid their data being out there. A few other scenarios too.

We're living in a crazy world, there's no doubt about that.
Old 06-10-20, 09:52 AM
Riveting

Bikes: '13 Diamondback Hybrid Commuter, '17 Spec Roubaix Di2, '17 Spec Camber 29'er, '19 CDale Topstone Gravel

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 590 Post(s)
Liked 445 Times in 260 Posts
The danger I see from using a tracking app, is that my friends will see how many times (and for how long) I was a slacker when I stopped to rest or just to smell the roses, which is really easy to do now that COVID encourages solo rides.

But seriously, I know that I'll be uploading my ride to the public, so it makes me think twice about viciously laying into someone (rider, driver, or ped) for being a jerk on the road or path (maybe the police should think this way about their body cam footage?). You never know who will try to hunt you down and seek revenge, and the Strava FlyBy (which I intentionally leave enabled) makes it really, really easy to identify me.
Old 06-10-20, 09:54 AM
Litespud

Bikes: 2000 Litespeed Vortex Chorus 10, 1995 DeBernardi Cromor S/S

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 645 Post(s)
Liked 797 Times in 446 Posts
Originally Posted by hillyman
Very true. 1984+ now and well on the way to Soylent Green
Hence all this exercise and clean living - I don't want to be just Soylent, I want to be Gourmet Soylent.....
Likes For Litespud:
Old 06-10-20, 10:04 AM
MattTheHat 

I've had a couple of bona fide stalkers try to hire me to defend them. You'd be amazed how random their obsessions can be.
After thinking about this a bit more, it occurs to me that I don't have any *need* for my ride data to be public. Even if the additional risk is very minor, it's still there. Why not eliminate it? Strava privacy setting adjusted.
Likes For MattTheHat:
Old 06-10-20, 10:12 AM
Kapusta
Advanced Slacker

Bikes: Soma Fog Cutter, Surly Wednesday, Canfielld Tilt

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 2762 Post(s)
Liked 2,537 Times in 1,433 Posts
I just don’t see any upside for me to having more of my personal info... in this case my location history... out there in the open, or being collected by a company or government. Only potential downsides.

I need to be getting something of value in return, and I don’t see what value letting others see my rides is really offering me.
Likes For Kapusta:
Old 06-10-20, 10:19 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

After thinking about this a bit more, it occurs to me that I don't have any *need* for my ride data to be public. Even if the additional risk is very minor, it's still there. Why not eliminate it? Strava privacy setting adjusted.
That's pretty much how I am with Strava generally--it's big advantage is the ability to compare myself to a lot of people I don't know or care about and for them to compare themselves to me. Really just doesn't bring anything I want. If I wanted my riding to be a social activity, I wouldn't be riding solo all the time.

Also, I just kind of hate the word "kudos". Sounds too much like "cooties".
Old 06-10-20, 10:34 AM
hillyman
WALSTIB

Originally Posted by Litespud
Hence all this exercise and clean living - I don't want to be just Soylent, I want to be Gourmet Soylent.....

Likes For hillyman:
Old 06-10-20, 10:51 AM
tgenec86
Rouleur

Bikes: Felt FC (SRAM Red), Nashbar Carbon (SRAM Red), Felt BR2 (SRAM Red), Salsa El Mariachi 29'er - solid steel, Peugeot PX-10 1972

Quoted: 73 Post(s)
Liked 166 Times in 63 Posts
Here's the reality. Simply riding with a smartphone allows you to be tracked. Just ask the rider who was listed as a prime suspect for a home robbery based on the fact that the police had no suspects and used tracking data from a cell tower. The rider had been doing loops in his neighborhood and passed near the house in question multiple times in the general time period when the burglary occurred. It was actually his good fortune he had a GPS computer active because it showed the DA that he never stopped and could not have been the perpetrator. Moral of the story is, between mobile phones, internet devices, camera's, etc... someone, somewhere, knows exactly where you are and what you're looking at. If you don't use a tracking app you're just keeping it out of the public forum. Big Gubment knows. It always knows...
Old 06-10-20, 10:55 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Originally Posted by tgenec86
Here's the reality. Simply riding with a smartphone allows you to be tracked. Just ask the rider who was listed as a prime suspect for a home robbery based on the fact that the police had no suspects and used tracking data from a cell tower. The rider had been doing loops in his neighborhood and passed near the house in question multiple times in the general time period when the burglary occurred. It was actually his good fortune he had a GPS computer active because it showed the DA that he never stopped and could not have been the perpetrator. Moral of the story is, between mobile phones, internet devices, camera's, etc... someone, somewhere, knows exactly where you are and what you're looking at. If you don't use a tracking app you're just keeping it out of the public forum. Big Gubment knows. It always knows...

Read the article linked in the OP. The risk they're identifying is that of putting your location data in the public forum. Just because there are other risks is no reason to ignore this one.
Old 06-10-20, 11:05 AM
CyclingFever
I got a fever.

Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked 23 Times in 16 Posts
Originally Posted by hillyman
Bet your fun at parties.
Actually that would be a fun discussion at a party. Before everyone is sloppy drunk of course.
Old 06-10-20, 11:09 AM
CyclingFever
I got a fever.

Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked 23 Times in 16 Posts

So you're in a situation where you feel uncomfortable showing your rides online. That's fine. Others are more comfortable. To each his own.
Old 06-10-20, 11:25 AM
hillyman
WALSTIB

Originally Posted by CyclingFever
Actually that would be a fun discussion at a party. Before everyone is sloppy drunk of course.
Very true. I'm one to think one thing leads to next kind of thing. But Brother BF watching.

Last edited by hillyman; 06-10-20 at 11:29 AM.
Old 06-10-20, 12:02 PM
Flip Flop Rider

Bikes: 2010 Fuji Absolute 3.0 1994 Trek 850

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Liked 555 Times in 322 Posts
Originally Posted by DrIsotope
Imagine a level of hubris so great that you had in your possession electronically time-stamped GPS coordinates of the precise location you had committed a crime, and undoubtedly knew that this evidence could be used against you in a legal proceeding, and just decided to upload it to the internet anyway. Amazing.
hey, no upload, no ride
Old 06-10-20, 01:28 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10964 Post(s)
Liked 7,491 Times in 4,189 Posts
If someone isnt using Strava for the social side of it, then much(most?) of Strava's appeal is lost.
I could just use my GPS' own website to track data and keep it private.
Old 06-10-20, 02:34 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

If someone isnt using Strava for the social side of it, then much(most?) of Strava's appeal is lost.
I could just use my GPS' own website to track data and keep it private.
Exactly!

I use Komoot. Basically, almost no one in the area seems to use it, and it defaults to private.
Old 06-10-20, 02:41 PM
unterhausen
Randomhead

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 3,699 Times in 2,519 Posts
that's what I decided too, I know cyclists around the world and we have some (albeit limited) contact because of strava.

I think I saw the first person on twitter to identify PW (the wrong guy) and it was clear to me from the picture it wasn't the right person. For one thing, who wears a 20 year old orange MTB helmet if they have a much more recent helmet in their profile pic?

One thing that people probably shouldn't do is have their equipment in their profiles. This may have been the first known issue with strava, thieves.
Imagine a level of hubris so great that you had in your possession electronically time-stamped GPS coordinates of the precise location you had committed a crime, and undoubtedly knew that this evidence could be used against you in a legal proceeding, and just decided to upload it to the internet anyway. Amazing.
I don't know if the ride was actually on strava. We don't even know how he was found, it's possible someone recognize him. Twitter certainly didn't mention him at all until after he was arrested. But since he didn't appear to have a gps on his bike, he probably uses a phone, so the ride would have been uploaded automatically. And the default setting is public. So there may not have been any thought about this issue on his part.

Last edited by unterhausen; 06-10-20 at 02:45 PM.
Old 06-10-20, 02:57 PM
billridesbikes

Quoted: 347 Post(s)
Liked 418 Times in 250 Posts
1984 v

Is it government overreach and mass surveillance if we choose to be tracked? This is simply user generated interest which isnt at all a theme of 1984.
That book is over referenced.
This situation is more like David Eggers’s “The Circle” where the population slowly demands that everyone be surveilled, videoed, and tracked 24/7. Those that refuse are essentially stripped of their rights.
Old 06-10-20, 03:00 PM
cyccommute 
Mad bike riding scientist

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Mentioned: 152 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6219 Post(s)
Liked 4,218 Times in 2,365 Posts
Just to be clear...and to get this out as broadly as possible...the guy in the article was not the man in the video. He didn’t commit a crime and was only a victim of circumstance.
Gold Fever Three days of dirt in Colorado
Pokin' around the Poconos A cold ride around Lake Erie
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Likes For cyccommute:

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.