Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Helmet with "goggles"?

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Helmet with "goggles"?

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-20, 07:32 PM
56Buick

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Helmet with "goggles"?

I am getting back into cycling, and I came across a helmet that has a detachable "goggle". Simply put it is a shaded eye shield. I do wear prescription sun glasses when I ride. Is it worth the investment? Or should I pass on this?
Old 07-12-20, 09:24 PM
Greiselman
longtime noob

Bikes: 2018 Trek Domane SL 6 // 1999 Trek 5000 // Burley Encore X

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked 63 Times in 28 Posts
Did it look something like this? I believe helmets with built-in face shields are almost always designed to be aero, meaning they're less comfortable and much hotter. To each his own but I'd prefer to invest in a comfortable, well-ventilated helmet.

Old 07-13-20, 02:06 AM
smashndash

Bikes: 2017 Specialized Allez Sprint Comp

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 850 Post(s)
Liked 344 Times in 247 Posts
I’d be careful and try it on before ordering. I wanted to see if I could wear a giro vanquish with glasses, but the visor sits too close to the face.
Old 07-13-20, 07:00 AM
topflightpro

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 1851 Post(s)
Liked 678 Times in 429 Posts
They can be great, but you have to make sure you get the appropriate one. The POC above is a TT helmet. It has no ventilation and covers your ears, so you can't hear traffic as well. It is great for racing, but not for general riding.

Others, like the Giro Vanquish are designed as aero road helmets with vents and open ears that have a sun visor. These are much better suited to regular riding.

Some of them have room so you can wear prescription glasses - or sunglasses - behind the lens. The Kask Bambion (like the POC) has more than enough room to wear glasses behind the lens. I cannot say whether the Vanquish does.
Old 07-13-20, 07:39 AM
sced
South Carolina Ed

Bikes: Holdsworth custom, Macario Pro, Ciocc San Cristobal, Viner Nemo, Cyfac Le Mythique, Giant TCR, Tommasso Mondial, Cyfac Etoile

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 344 Post(s)
Liked 291 Times in 138 Posts
I have 2 and have been buying them for family members. Some are well ventilated. I have 2 grown sons wearing these which appear to be very well made. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Old 07-13-20, 08:02 AM
fooferdoggie 

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 680 Post(s)
Liked 947 Times in 554 Posts
expensive but does well with ventilation https://www.biketiresdirect.com/prod...ps-helmet?sg=3
Old 07-13-20, 08:14 AM
mpath
Recusant Iconoclast

Bikes: Look 695, Wilier Izoard

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 247 Post(s)
Liked 58 Times in 29 Posts
I have the OGK Kabuto AERO-R1. The visor detaches magnetically, which reattaches back on the helmet upside down when not in use. My sunglasses fit under the visor with no issues. Overall been very happy with them.