Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Is there such a thing as a “natural climber”?

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-20, 08:50 AM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
Did you do your cycle road training in the Andes? and are young strong and light?
Old fat and living at sea-level myself..
Likes For fietsbob:
Old 07-13-20, 09:39 AM
davei1980
Very Slow Rider

Bikes: Jones Plus LWB, 1983 Centurion Japanese CrMo bike

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 500 Post(s)
Liked 132 Times in 101 Posts
Originally Posted by rosefarts
You might be one of the guys I used to hate. Started the season overweight but doing ok, by the time July rolled around, the winter fat was gone and suddenly they were faster uphill than me. Keep at it and keep trying to improve. Make sustained efforts on the climb, keep it up a little longer than you'd like.

I started my season at 138lbs, I finished my season at 138lbs and 15 years later with a job, kids, a couple health problems, and limited time to ride, 138lbs.

As far as natural or not, you've just got to hate yourself a bit. The difference between keeping your lungs in your throat, letting everything hurt, and barely able to see because of sweat is huge. This is as important as any physical gift.

I'm still a fast climber, always was due to my size, but I can't draw on that depth and challenge the actual fast guys anymore. It's disappointing too, I know guys my age who do still have that demon.
The worst part about everything you describe is not being able to see! I have to wait for relatively straight sections of my local single track to wipe my eyes. AND I WEAR GLASSES!
Old 07-13-20, 09:42 AM
davei1980
Very Slow Rider

Originally Posted by fietsbob
Did you do your cycle road training in the Andes? and are young strong and light?
Old fat and living at sea-level myself..
I have 20-30 lbs to lose at 5'8", 173#

I have been climbing ~1,000 vertical feet (single track, not roads) every weekday since march on a 35lb bike. I feel like if I lost 20lbs it's like riding a 15lb superbike!
Old 07-13-20, 09:47 AM
Clyde1820

Bikes: 1996 Trek 970 ZX Single Track 2x11

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 614 Post(s)
Liked 565 Times in 429 Posts
Yes, I think so.

I was one.

Hated the pain just like most people, of course, and the training for it was tougher. But at least in my case it turned out my shorter stature and more-powerful legs resulted in my being able to climb much faster than most. Of course, I'd get skunked on the flats by the speedier folks, but on hills I could be quite capable. When I eventually moved to an area where ~75% of the routes involved climbing, I got even better at it. (No surprises, there.) Was fairly fit, at the time, but so was everyone else, and there was no question about the other competitors' abilities on the same hills I was doing so well on. Many years ago, but I believe that the essential leg strength and stamina I had in those years made hills a "natural" thing for me.
Likes For Clyde1820:
Old 07-13-20, 10:38 AM
davei1980
Very Slow Rider

Originally Posted by Clyde1820
Yes, I think so.

I was one.

Hated the pain just like most people, of course, and the training for it was tougher. But at least in my case it turned out my shorter stature and more-powerful legs resulted in my being able to climb much faster than most. Of course, I'd get skunked on the flats by the speedier folks, but on hills I could be quite capable. When I eventually moved to an area where ~75% of the routes involved climbing, I got even better at it. (No surprises, there.) Was fairly fit, at the time, but so was everyone else, and there was no question about the other competitors' abilities on the same hills I was doing so well on. Many years ago, but I believe that the essential leg strength and stamina I had in those years made hills a "natural" thing for me.
Sounds like me except I try to use as little leg strength as possible and instead spin in the saddle up the hills. I find I can go all day like that and still have bursts in me if I need to power up a switchback or something.