Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Stuck between choosing the 49cm and 52cm Specialized Allez Elite

Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Old 08-06-20, 03:06 PM
folhas

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hello everyone,

Been struggling with bike fit for a while, and with COVID killing inventory it's made it even tougher.I've decided to put in a pre-order for a 2021 Specialize Allez Elite

I'm 5'6" with some tiny legs. My inseam is 705mm (27.76in) barefoot & 725mm (28.54in) with my shoes/cleats on. Following the height guides - I should get a 52cm frame. This frame gives me no clearance with a stand-over height of 745mm. My bits are squished. In fact - this is was a main reason for selling a 54mm roubaix I had.

With the 49cm frame, I will just barely have clearance with shoes on. 720mm frame, so 5 mm to be exact. Pretty negligible.

I know standover height is not that important to bike fit - but living in a city where bikers are an afterthought, I do have to stop a lot.

I'm thinking of going 49cm, and if I need I can add spacer/ larger stem to get the right reach IF I feel cramped in the cockpit.

Need some more opinions on this matter - LBS recommended 52cm and deal with stops by standing on my tippy-toes
Old 08-06-20, 03:24 PM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Quoted: 6100 Post(s)
Liked 4,732 Times in 3,262 Posts
If you don't try the 49 cm you'll never know. I rode exceedingly large frames for my size and never had an issue. Not sure why people seem to want both feet on the ground. Maybe as a result of me growing up on the large frames, I got into the habit of standing on one leg with the other on the pedal ready for the light to change. Of course the bike has to lean a little, but not much. However I do have longer legs than many people four inches taller than me.
Old 08-06-20, 03:39 PM
SapInMyBlood
Enthusiastic Sufferer

Bikes: 2015 Specialized Roubaix, 2014 Salsa Fargo, 2013 Trek Remedy, 2014 Cannondale Synapse

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 124 Post(s)
Liked 311 Times in 107 Posts
I'm 5'7 (170cm) with a rather short inseam as well ... 28-29". I ride a 52cm Roubaix and the standover height is a non-issue. I wonder where they're measuring it, since these Specialized bikes have quite pronounced sloping top tubes.

Are you able to try out the bikes in person? That would solve a lot of issues ... :/

The standover height on my bike is listed as 756mm and I've never had an issue standing with both feet on the gorund
Old 08-06-20, 03:59 PM
RedBullFiXX

Quoted: 73 Post(s)
Liked 41 Times in 33 Posts
Smaller frame may also have a lower stack, perhaps that is why the dealer recommends the larger frame ?
Old 08-06-20, 04:49 PM
folhas

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by SapInMyBlood
I'm 5'7 (170cm) with a rather short inseam as well ... 28-29". I ride a 52cm Roubaix and the standover height is a non-issue. I wonder where they're measuring it, since these Specialized bikes have quite pronounced sloping top tubes.

Are you able to try out the bikes in person? That would solve a lot of issues ... :/

The standover height on my bike is listed as 756mm and I've never had an issue standing with both feet on the gorund

Unfortunately my LBSs don't have anything smaller than 54cm available in store. it's been tough finding bikes in my area - even used.
Old 08-06-20, 04:58 PM
surak

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix, Canyon Inflite AL SLX, Ibis Ripley AF, Priority Continuum Onyx, Santana Vision, Kent Dual-Drive Tandem

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 871 Post(s)
Liked 725 Times in 436 Posts
Originally Posted by Iride01
Not sure why people seem to want both feet on the ground. Maybe as a result of me growing up on the large frames, I got into the habit of standing on one leg with the other on the pedal ready for the light to change. Of course the bike has to lean a little, but not much.
^This.
Old 08-06-20, 06:17 PM
GAtkins

Bikes: 2021 Trek Domane SLR7 Project One 62cm- 2010 Specialized Allez 61cm

Quoted: 118 Post(s)
Liked 88 Times in 44 Posts
Remember that the Allez geometry is more aggressive than that of the Roubaix if that matters to you.

Glenn
Old 08-06-20, 07:08 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 10244 Post(s)
Liked 11,597 Times in 5,944 Posts
Originally Posted by Iride01
If you don't try the 49 cm you'll never know. I rode exceedingly large frames for my size and never had an issue. Not sure why people seem to want both feet on the ground. Maybe as a result of me growing up on the large frames, I got into the habit of standing on one leg with the other on the pedal ready for the light to change. Of course the bike has to lean a little, but not much. However I do have longer legs than many people four inches taller than me.
I do that, but I do stand over the top tube with both feet on the ground when I first swing leg over saddle. THEN I clip the left foot in, and stand as you say, and at stops always clip the right foot out to stand on.

"Everybody's gotta be somewhere." - Eccles
Old 08-06-20, 07:42 PM
jimmyodonnell

Bikes: Specialized Langster SS Specialized Sirrus X 4

Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked 51 Times in 37 Posts
To me it sounds like 49 might be the better choice, for these reasons . . .

I'm 5-6 and I ride a 52 Langster, it's now discontinued but the frame is quite similar to the Allez Elite. My LBS at the time used Allez Elite to size me before special-ordering my Langster frame.
My inseam is just a bit longer than yours and when I stand over my 52 in sneakers I can feel the top tube just slightly. The geometry of these frames is fairly aggressive, as noted in the post a couple above. My bike fits really well, I wouldn't want it any larger.

Also -- a couple months ago I bought a Sirrus X, which has frame sizing in S / M / L rather than by CMs. On the Specialized size chart, my height indicated a Medium frame was my fit . . . but when I test rode a Medium it was way bigger than I was looking for. The next day I found a Small and it was a much better fit for me. I realize the S / M / L sizing is much broader than frames sized by CMs, but in my case the Specialized recommended sizing was too big . . . and I found the same applied to my kids, when I bought them each a Sirrus X, the size chart indicated they would fit Smalls but we opted for Extra Smalls and they fit properly. So I think the Specialized size chart runs a little larger than what's accurate.

My last note is on personal preference, I'd rather have smaller frame than one too large because it's easy to adjust the seat height and the stem height rather than deal with a too-large frame. And I personally don't want a frame that's too large for my standover height, it feels unwieldy to me and I like the smaller / more aggressive shape of these frames.
Old 08-07-20, 09:21 AM
Pizzaiolo Americano 
Pizzaiolo Americano

Bikes: 2021 Trek Domane, Bianchi Intenso, Specialized Epic Evo, Surly Ice Cream Truck, Some other stuff

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 287 Post(s)
Liked 140 Times in 69 Posts
I am short and between sizes as well. I always go with the larger bike. If I go with the smaller ones, the seat has to come way up and the stack is already lower on the smaller frame, usually putting me in a much more aggressive position than I want. I also don't care if I can put two feet on the ground...
Old 08-07-20, 12:31 PM
sdmc530
Heft On Wheels

Bikes: Specialized,Cannondale,Argon 18

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 887 Post(s)
Liked 560 Times in 346 Posts
I am sort of in same issue....so 56 is smaller, 58 is bigger, 57 is perfect for me. when I purchased my 2018 Allez elite I got the 58, shortened the stem and got a seat post with some forward set. No issues on fit after thousands of miles. My gravel bike is a larger yet, way to big even after mods and now I really don't ride it. My "show off" carbon bike is a 56. Put a longer stem on it and its fine and fun to ride but by far the best comfort I get is on my Allez. Go the size slightly bigger if its your only option....just my opinion.
Old 08-07-20, 08:53 PM
DaveSSS 

Bikes: Cinelli superstar disc, two Yoeleo R12

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 1090 Post(s)
Liked 554 Times in 443 Posts
I'd buy the smaller frame. I'm the same height with opposite issue. I have a cycling inseam of 83cm and a 73cm saddle height. I ride a Colnago C-RS size 48 that has a 527mm stack and 383mm reach. I use no spacers and a -17 stem to produce a 10cm saddle to bar drop. I could ride a 45cm, since the stack is only 1mm less.

It's easy to increase stem length and bar reach for a long torsos. With a low saddle height, the stack height should not be a problem. The stack is actually tall at 535mm.

https://www.specialized.com/us/en/al...ext=90021-4044
Old 08-12-20, 07:13 PM
ShannonM

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 405 Post(s)
Liked 430 Times in 286 Posts
Don't forget that bike fit influences bike handling. A smaller frame with a longer seatpost and stem will handle differently than a larger frame with a shorter seatpost and stem, even if the static fit is the same. Which setup one prefers is, of course, a matter of taste, but they will be different.

I prefer the handling of a larger frame... less twitchy / turny, more swoopy / carvy. The bigger bike feels like it turns more around the bottom bracket, the smaller frame more around the headset. Sorta kinda maybe... it's tough to describe, but easy to feel when riding.

--Shannon
Old 08-12-20, 09:55 PM
ryan_rides

Bikes: 2018 Aventon Cordoba 2021 Specialized Allez

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 145 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 23 Posts

I got the 2021 Allez. I think it’s pretty cool.
Old 08-13-20, 09:19 AM
jimmyodonnell

Bikes: Specialized Langster SS Specialized Sirrus X 4

Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked 51 Times in 37 Posts
Originally Posted by ryan_rides

I got the 2021 Allez. I think it’s pretty cool.
It looks GREAT I think that color is cool
Likes For jimmyodonnell:
Old 08-13-20, 01:58 PM
dscohen

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 12 Posts
I'm basically your height with your same inseam (5'6" with a 29" inseam). I've had this same debate with myself: size up (S) or size down (XS). You should be able to fit on both, but for me it always came down to geometry. The XS frames, to me, look super small aesthetically and aren't my cup of tea. I feel like I'm riding a child's bike. On an XS, I can really get the seatpost up and out of the frame for a more "pro" look, but generally those head tubes are short and, for me, would require too many spacers. On an S, I'd hardly need any head tube spacers, but my seatpost wouldn't be all that tall. To mitigate the whole head tube spacers vs seatpost height conundrum, I specifically looked for Endurance frames in size S that have tall head tubes, sloping top tubes, and short seat tubes. That allows me to use one 10mm spacer at the head tube and at least have 5" of seatpost showing, Not that much I know. I think this looks better than a super small frame with lots of seatpost and head tube spacers.
Old 08-13-20, 02:16 PM
sdmc530
Heft On Wheels

Bikes: Specialized,Cannondale,Argon 18

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 887 Post(s)
Liked 560 Times in 346 Posts
Nice color!!!
Old 08-13-20, 04:05 PM
aclinjury

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 497 Post(s)
Liked 170 Times in 128 Posts
I'd go with a 49 in your case.

I'm 5'7" with 29.5" inseam and all my bikes are XS (~49cm). I slam all my stems and they're all 110-120mm long. I have no reason to think why a 49cm wouldn't fit you.
Old 08-15-20, 12:14 PM
RockiesDad

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 220 Post(s)
Liked 31 Times in 17 Posts
Originally Posted by aclinjury
I'd go with a 49 in your case.

I'm 5'7" with 29.5" inseam and all my bikes are XS (~49cm). I slam all my stems and they're all 110-120mm long. I have no reason to think why a 49cm wouldn't fit you.
x2. I'm 5'6" with 29.5" inseam and barely fit a 51cm. You are a bit shorter so the 49cm should fit. Also you might want take into account is the reach will be longer on the 51cm and might not be as comfortable if its way out there. You can make a small frame fit with a longer stem and seat post but harder to make a large frame fit due to the frame being fixed.
Old 08-17-20, 11:51 AM
ryan_rides

Bikes: 2018 Aventon Cordoba 2021 Specialized Allez

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 145 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 23 Posts
Originally Posted by jimmyodonnell
It looks GREAT I think that color is cool
Thanks. This is my first road bike. I used to have a fixed gear track bike but I was hit a month ago (hit and run; been hit twice this year) and my bike was destroyed. So I got this with the help of a few friends of mine. I was lucky that my LBS had this on the floor too. Eventually will be going one-by and upgrading the whole groupset. already put over 300 miles on this bike. I like it.