Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Group ride pacing

Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Group ride pacing

Old 08-06-20, 08:12 PM
mcours2006

Bikes: ...a few.

Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2010 Post(s)
Liked 408 Times in 234 Posts
Group ride pacing

Just wanted to get some opinions here about organizing group rides.

So I'm part of a large group of riders, but we're not an official club. We organize rides on FB and group chat. The usual protocol is that someone will post a ride a day or two before. It's not necessarily the same person. So, let's say that someone posts a ride for an easy-paced recovery ride. During the ride the speed creeps up to where it's no longer easy. What do you do? Do you start yelling at folks? Do you, as the person who organized it, get to the front and slow things right down? We usually say, for example, easy pace xx kph average.

Some in the group are perfectly happy going at the higher pace. Others who signed up expecting an easy-paced ride are not so happy.

What say you?
Old 08-06-20, 08:15 PM
Bmach

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 440 Post(s)
Liked 264 Times in 162 Posts
The leader should slow things down it is their ride. If others want to go faster they should not have joined the ride.
Old 08-06-20, 08:55 PM
colnago62

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 741 Post(s)
Liked 412 Times in 230 Posts
Maintain the stated pace. If there are guys who want to go faster, let them go. I could never understand why riders chase guys who role off the front on an organized ride with a slower pace. As long as you, the ride leader maintain the posted pace, those who were there for that will stay with you.
Old 08-06-20, 09:02 PM
njkayaker

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 4242 Post(s)
Liked 1,342 Times in 931 Posts
Split the group.
Old 08-06-20, 09:13 PM
tomato coupe

Bikes: Colnago, Van Dessel, Factor, Cervelo, Ritchey

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 3933 Post(s)
Liked 7,256 Times in 2,935 Posts
Originally Posted by colnago62
Maintain the stated pace. If there are guys who want to go faster, let them go. I could never understand why riders chase guys who role off the front on an organized ride with a slower pace. As long as you, the ride leader maintain the posted pace, those who were there for that will stay with you.
Yeah, it really is this simple.
Old 08-07-20, 05:07 AM
Bah Humbug
serious cyclist

Bikes: S1, R2, P2

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9334 Post(s)
Liked 3,679 Times in 2,026 Posts
Exactly that. Poor form for someone to show up to an easy ride and accelerate because they wanted a harder ride, but no reason to let them ruin it for everyone.
Likes For Bah Humbug:
Old 08-07-20, 05:14 AM
datlas 
Should Be More Popular

Bikes: 1986 Alpine (steel road bike), 2009 Ti Habenero, 2013 Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 560 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22570 Post(s)
Liked 8,918 Times in 4,152 Posts
It’s called pirating a ride and it happens.

Best strategy is let him/them go.
Old 08-07-20, 06:53 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Quoted: 18391 Post(s)
Liked 15,465 Times in 7,306 Posts
Originally Posted by colnago62
And then smirk and wave when you ride by someone who went off the front and then developed a mechanical.
Likes For indyfabz:
Old 08-07-20, 07:27 AM
Reflector Guy

Bikes: Bianchi Infinito XE, Via Nirone 7, GT Aggressor Pro

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 599 Post(s)
Liked 1,271 Times in 588 Posts
My biggest worry is that I'd eventually be the last guy left in the slower group.
Old 08-07-20, 07:52 AM
John Foster

Bikes: '16 Scott CR1 '82 Norco MagnumII

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 18 Times in 15 Posts
Originally Posted by Reflector Guy
My biggest worry is that I'd eventually be the last guy left in the slower group.
"Never Apologize or Make Excuses" is my motto, I am an older rider who is not naturally athletic or competitive , with bad knees and ankles to boot. If someone rides with me that is great, if they all vanish in the distance, that is okay too, I can set my own pace and enjoy the ride. I get there when I get there . Ironically on the few occasions when I am out in front, I either slow my pace or loop around and go back to the stragglers Just think about what you are doing versus the person watching television while eating Doritos.
Old 08-07-20, 08:13 AM
John Foster

Bikes: '16 Scott CR1 '82 Norco MagnumII

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 18 Times in 15 Posts
Also posing a question.

Is pacing an issue in other group "travelling" activities such as running, canoeing, kayaking, cross country skiing, snowshoeing etc.? Is it human nature for the fast people to break out ahead and for the slow ones to be left behind? just wondering
Likes For John Foster:
Old 08-07-20, 08:31 AM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 10392 Post(s)
Liked 11,842 Times in 6,062 Posts
Originally Posted by John Foster
Also posing a question.

Is pacing an issue in other group "travelling" activities such as running, canoeing, kayaking, cross country skiing, snowshoeing etc.? Is it human nature for the fast people to break out ahead and for the slow ones to be left behind? just wondering
I dunno. I do know that back in the 70s my brother and I were both runners, and every time we'd try to run together, we had to consciously remember to slow down, because entirely without meaning to we both kept upping the pace.

"Everybody's gotta be somewhere." - Eccles
Likes For genejockey:
Old 08-07-20, 08:39 AM
OldTryGuy

Bikes: Day6 Semi Recumbent "FIREBALL", 1981 Custom Touring Paramount, 1983 Road Paramount, 2013 Giant Propel Advanced SL3, 2018 Specialized Red Roubaix Expert mech., 2002 Magna 7sp hybrid, 1976 Bassett Racing 45sp Cruiser

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 1065 Post(s)
Liked 778 Times in 502 Posts
Originally Posted by mcours2006
............................... The usual protocol is that someone will post a ride a day or two before.......................What say you?
The person who "posted" the ride leads the ride. If the leader wants to give others a chance to "pull" just let it be known what the pace is to be held at and how long on the front. If others wish to dart out, let them go. If someone is on the front too long or slows down or speeds up, YELL at them to correct the situation.

p.s. -- we have a Tuesday AM "A" ride. It was announced before we headed out that it was an "A" ride at 20mph average for a 40+ no stop ride. As the season progressed and EVERYBODY got stronger the average pace increased to where we would finish at 22mph to 24mph average. Had new people join in and we would tell them that the ride should be faster than the announced 20mph average. They all typically figured that it's SW FL, so flat and no hills, soooo easy to stay with the group and such it will be NO PROBLEM. After some complaints the announcement became Fast group A+ head out now.

Last edited by OldTryGuy; 08-07-20 at 04:57 PM.
Likes For OldTryGuy:
Old 08-07-20, 09:11 AM
mcours2006

Thanks for all the response.

The group does have a few fast guys. Their ride is not as popular as it was the beginning of the season. Guys who are consistent and diligent about training continued to get stronger, so this particularly semi-weekly ride was initially advertised as a "no-drop steady pace" ride became just "steady pace". Guys who weren't so diligent in their training would get dropped, and then fewer and fewer guys were showing up for it. But if that's what is advertised, then that's fine. You'd expect that if you couldn't keep the pace you'd be dropped.
Old 08-07-20, 09:15 AM
mcours2006

Originally Posted by njkayaker
Split the group.
We've done this as well. Last weekend's ride we had 15 riders come out, but the pace wasn't advertised, and there was a substantial disparity in the fitness level of the riders. It was darn impossible to keep the group together. Splitting up was the only logical thing to do. Trying to keep a single pace for the whole group would have pleased no one.
Old 08-07-20, 09:17 AM
mcours2006

Originally Posted by datlas
It’s called pirating a ride and it happens.

Best strategy is let him/them go.
Pirating does happen, but letting him/them go is not as easy as it sounds, especially if I'm at the middle of the back, and whoever is behind the guy surging follows, and so on. You could have several riders just following the lead of the guy at the front. I think I need to just yell more.
Old 08-07-20, 09:30 AM
Bah Humbug
serious cyclist

Bikes: S1, R2, P2

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Quoted: 9334 Post(s)
Liked 3,679 Times in 2,026 Posts
Originally Posted by John Foster
Also posing a question.

I don't know about "human nature", but it's definitely jackass nature. A good group run has the fastest people juuuuust barely dragging the others faster than they would otherwise. There are guys I gave up on running with because they'd drop me in the first two miles and leave me on my own, and if I'm running alone I might as well plan for it from the start. When I agree to run with someone, I do not drop them.
Likes For Bah Humbug:
Old 08-07-20, 09:35 AM
prj71

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 2970 Post(s)
Liked 1,177 Times in 768 Posts
Originally Posted by njkayaker
Split the group.
This. Do a faster group and a slower group.

This isn't rocket science folks.
Old 08-07-20, 09:36 AM
prj71

Quoted: 2970 Post(s)
Liked 1,177 Times in 768 Posts
Originally Posted by Reflector Guy
This is actually a worry?
Old 08-07-20, 09:36 AM
LAJ
So it is

Bikes: Luzerne, 684, Boreas, Wheelhouse, Alize©®, Bayamo, Cayo

Mentioned: 246 Post(s)
Quoted: 11385 Post(s)
Liked 4,706 Times in 2,745 Posts
I try to be the rider behind them in a paceline, and when they up the pace, I don't, and have no issue dropping them from the front.
Old 08-07-20, 10:02 AM
fried bake

Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked 21 Times in 11 Posts
It works best if there are clear expectations before the ride. Example: A group: 21+; B group: 18-20; C and so on. This worked really well in my last locale as the leaders were held to account (and, more importantly, took responsibility) for enforcing it.
The group I used to ride with in my current locale are a mess because they never did this, so now I mostly ride solo.

Last edited by fried bake; 08-07-20 at 11:23 AM.
Old 08-07-20, 10:32 AM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 10392 Post(s)
Liked 11,842 Times in 6,062 Posts
Originally Posted by mcours2006
We've done this as well. Last weekend's ride we had 15 riders come out, but the pace wasn't advertised, and there was a substantial disparity in the fitness level of the riders. It was darn impossible to keep the group together. Splitting up was the only logical thing to do. Trying to keep a single pace for the whole group would have pleased no one.
The club I used to ride with had two big group rides, Saturday and Sunday. We'd roll together for the first 8 miles or so, but when we reached one stretch it was understood that the racers would take off and the recreational/century folks would not. And if you got dropped by the fast group, you could let the slower group catch up and you could join them. But we're talking a big group of about 30 or more riders total. The slower group was generally about 10 or so folks.

"Everybody's gotta be somewhere." - Eccles
Old 08-07-20, 10:41 AM
Reflector Guy

Bikes: Bianchi Infinito XE, Via Nirone 7, GT Aggressor Pro

Quoted: 599 Post(s)
Liked 1,271 Times in 588 Posts
Originally Posted by prj71
This is actually a worry?
Nope, just some self-deprecating humor. A moot point since I'm usually riding solo.
Old 08-07-20, 10:44 AM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 2952 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts
Ride the stated pace. If people want to ride off the front, let them go.
Likes For caloso:
Old 08-07-20, 11:04 AM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene, Nashbar steel CX

Quoted: 4728 Post(s)
Liked 1,530 Times in 1,001 Posts
A stated pace is fine as far as it goes. However, my experience is that this falls apart if the routes are hilly, and combined with whether or not the leader of the ride is a rotated role. You can for example say that it's a 20mph ride, but is that on flat ground? Relative differing abilities in rolling terrain and various climbs. What's the agreed upon pace for 2%, 5% or 8% gradients? How often will you want to stop or slow to regroup, etc? Hard to get away from these issues with groups made up of individuals who don't know each other at all.
Likes For Sy Reene:

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.