Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Short Touring on a Continental - NJ

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-11, 08:08 AM
wkatastrof

Bikes: 1974 Schwinn Continental, 1980 Peugeot UO10

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hello forums,

Just wondering what distances anyone's done on one of the old Schwinns? I've had a 1974 Conti for a few years now; using it for commuting mostly. It's got alloy wheels with a sunrace freewheel, shimano tourney rear derailleur, crane creek levers... nothing high-end but still a bit lighter. Old bikes are still OK in my book as long as its not incredibly hard to find parts. - I'm sewing up a saddle bag from an old messenger bag to be ready soon.

I'm interested in your set-ups and stories with these bikes too.

I've taken a larger interest in longer distances.
Took a 40 mile ride from New Brunswick to Princeton and back in NJ. Looking to take the D&R Canal Tow Path from Brunswick to Trenton, hop over to the Pennsylvania side, head down toward Palmyra in NJ and then go another 15 miles. All in all, its going to run about 75 miles. I hope to do it in one straight shot in a few weeks. I'll be taking some tools, pump, and much water.

I've also got a much lighter Peugeot UO-10 that I need to clean, touch-up paint, and rebuild. Can't wait to ride that one.

Thanks.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
0715111759-01.jpg (104.7 KB, 20 views)
Old 07-21-11, 08:23 AM
that_guy_zach

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
I dont see a problem. Check out this Schwinn for some inspiration

https://pathlesspedaled.com/2010/11/y...oing-it-wrong/
Old 07-21-11, 08:54 AM
rhm
multimodal commuter

Bikes: 1940s Fothergill, 1959 Allegro Special, 1963? Claud Butler Olympic Sprint, Lambert 'Clubman', 1974 Fuji "the Ace", 1976 Holdsworth 650b conversion rando bike, 1983 Trek 720 tourer, 1984 Counterpoint Opus II, 1993 Basso Gap, 2010 Downtube 8h, and...

Mentioned: 584 Post(s)
Quoted: 1908 Post(s)
Liked 574 Times in 339 Posts
My brother had a Continental, rode it all over the place in the 70's. It's a heavy bike, but when riding long distances over flat stretches like you're describing the weight really doesn't make that much difference.

Before you try to ride to Palmyra NJ through PA, make sure you can ride your bike over the Palmyra-Tacony bridge. Last time I checked there were no bicycle accessible bridges between Philadelphia and Trenton, and I got in some trouble for trying to ride across the Burlington bridge once. There are pretty nice roads on the NJ side, but you have to steer pretty far east as you head south from Princeton. I've ridden a nice route that went through Robbinsville, Georgetown, Jobstown, etc. but from there west into Palmyra I don't know. It is definitely an option to take the RiverLine train from Trenton to Palmyra.
Old 07-21-11, 09:02 AM
Olebiker
Resident Old Fart

Bikes: Douglas Precision Ti

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
In 1976 my wife's best friend did the entire Bikecentennial cross country ride on a Varsity.
Old 07-21-11, 11:11 AM
gna
Count Orlok Member

Bikes: Raleigh Sports, Raleigh Twenty, Raleigh Wyoming, Raleigh DL1, Schwinn Winter Bike

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 122 Post(s)
Liked 177 Times in 97 Posts
Ken Kifer toured on a Varsity, though it sounds like he started on a Raleigh 3-speed: www.kenkifer.com/bikepages/touring/
Old 07-21-11, 02:49 PM
vonfilm 

Bikes: 73 Super Sport, 86 Tempo, 86 Peloton, 87 Super Sport, 83 Peugeot PFN10, 76 Super Course MK IV, 94 Univega Alpina 5.5

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 175 Post(s)
Liked 70 Times in 34 Posts
Heavy bikes have momentum on their side.
1983 Gitane Super Corsa
1991 Trek 750 Multitrack
Old 07-21-11, 05:10 PM
bradtx

Bikes: Cannondale, Trek, Raleigh, Santana

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 308 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
wkatastrof, Pick up a Blackburn or similar rack, a top bag, and/or panniers, and a couple of Bell bottle cage mounts (~$8 at Wal-Mart). Have fun.

Brad
Old 07-21-11, 09:09 PM
wkatastrof

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by rhm
My brother had a Continental, rode it all over the place in the 70's. It's a heavy bike, but when riding long distances over flat stretches like you're describing the weight really doesn't make that much difference.

Before you try to ride to Palmyra NJ through PA, make sure you can ride your bike over the Palmyra-Tacony bridge. Last time I checked there were no bicycle accessible bridges between Philadelphia and Trenton, and I got in some trouble for trying to ride across the Burlington bridge once. There are pretty nice roads on the NJ side, but you have to steer pretty far east as you head south from Princeton. I've ridden a nice route that went through Robbinsville, Georgetown, Jobstown, etc. but from there west into Palmyra I don't know. It is definitely an option to take the RiverLine train from Trenton to Palmyra.
Yeah, the RiverLine is an option... Have you done or heard of the High-Point - Cape May line? I read about it on another thread. Looks like the State routed it specifically for bikes, but it seems to be a lot of roads and hard to follow without looking at a map. If possible, I might just ride down that route and turn West when I need to head to Camden County. It would probably avoid Trenton and the more urban areas closer to Philly.

https://www.state.nj.us/transportatio...ike/tours.shtm
Old 07-21-11, 11:15 PM
Uprighter

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm soaking wet behind the ears when it comes to multi-geared bikes, but I would think that with the right freewheel, 75 miles would be very manageable. A 70's Continental fixie conversion would be another story!!!
Old 07-22-11, 08:10 AM
Glennfordx4

Bikes: Too many Bicycles to list

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 90 Post(s)
Liked 137 Times in 45 Posts
Originally Posted by wkatastrof
Yeah, the RiverLine is an option... Have you done or heard of the High-Point - Cape May line? I read about it on another thread. Looks like the State routed it specifically for bikes, but it seems to be a lot of roads and hard to follow without looking at a map. If possible, I might just ride down that route and turn West when I need to head to Camden County. It would probably avoid Trenton and the more urban areas closer to Philly.

I am familiar with the southern route from about the Browns Mill area down to Cape May and for the most part there are better shorter routes that one could map out, the whole thing with that map is to promote tourism so it brings you off the beaten path in quite a few places which is fine for some.
Old 07-22-11, 09:12 AM
rhm
multimodal commuter

Bikes: 1940s Fothergill, 1959 Allegro Special, 1963? Claud Butler Olympic Sprint, Lambert 'Clubman', 1974 Fuji "the Ace", 1976 Holdsworth 650b conversion rando bike, 1983 Trek 720 tourer, 1984 Counterpoint Opus II, 1993 Basso Gap, 2010 Downtube 8h, and...

Mentioned: 584 Post(s)
Quoted: 1908 Post(s)
Liked 574 Times in 339 Posts

The Princeton Freewheelers do an annual ride called the Longest Day that goes from High Point to Cape May; and it is possible to find the cue sheet for it online. Are you familiar with bike route websites such as Bike Route Toaster, Bikely, Mapmyride, &c? One of them may have a route that will work for you.

I can map out the part of the route that I'm familiar with, which would go from Millstone to Jobstown or so, so more than half of the ride.
Old 07-22-11, 11:04 AM
wkatastrof

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks for all of this mapping info. I was able to find one of the routes used in the 'Longest Day' High Point - Brown Mills run.

Basically, my route is now New Brunswick to the end of Amwell Road where it meets the Delaware-Raritan Canal Trail. From there it follows the High-Point route until Brown Mills. From there I made it follow rt 70 to Medford, then heading south down Taunton/Hopewell Road until I reach Berlin, NJ which is where I need to be!

About 90 miles which is a bit longer than the original route through PA I had planned, but I think it'll be a much more relaxed route than riding through Trenton and right above Philadelphia. Let me know what you think. Thanks for the help! The mapmyride site is a bit glitchy, but sure works better than google maps for bikes with the search-other-peoples-routes feature.

I've been doing around 11 - 15 miles per day and I did a 40 mile trip last weekend. Hopefully I will survive 90mi.
Old 07-22-11, 11:28 AM
bradtx

Bikes: Cannondale, Trek, Raleigh, Santana

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 308 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Thanks for all of this mapping info. I was able to find one of the routes used in the 'Longest Day' High Point - Brown Mills run.

Basically, my route is now New Brunswick to the end of Amwell Road where it meets the Delaware-Raritan Canal Trail. From there it follows the High-Point route until Brown Mills. From there I made it follow rt 70 to Medford, then heading south down Taunton/Hopewell Road until I reach Berlin, NJ which is where I need to be!

About 90 miles which is a bit longer than the original route through PA I had planned, but I think it'll be a much more relaxed route than riding through Trenton and right above Philadelphia. Let me know what you think. Thanks for the help! The mapmyride site is a bit glitchy, but sure works better than google maps for bikes with the search-other-peoples-routes feature.

I've been doing around 11 - 15 miles per day and I did a 40 mile trip last weekend. Hopefully I will survive 90mi.
Be sure to properly hydrate as I think y'all are under that high pressure dome we had, it's brutal.

Brad
Old 07-22-11, 01:12 PM
wkatastrof

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by bradtx
Be sure to properly hydrate as I think y'all are under that high pressure dome we had, it's brutal.

Brad
Yeah, thanks. Going to haul as much water as I can. By next friday the high should be back around 92. Right now it's about 103 outside, (weather.com: feels like 114).
Old 07-22-11, 03:50 PM
wrk101
Thrifty Bill

Bikes: 86 Katakura Silk, 87 Prologue X2, 88 Cimarron LE, 1975 Sekai 4000 Professional, 73 Paramount, plus more

Mentioned: 96 Post(s)
Quoted: 1236 Post(s)
Liked 964 Times in 628 Posts
I did quite a few centuries on my 1971 Continental (back when the bike was new, so it has been a while). Bike was stolen in 1975.
Old 07-22-11, 04:49 PM
cycleheimer

Bikes: '02 Litespeed, '99 Bianchi Alfana. '91 Fuji Saratoga, '84 Peugeot Canyon Express, '82 Moto GR, '81 Fuji America, '81 Fuji Royale; '78 Bridgestone Diamond Touring, '76 Fuji America, plus many more!

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 180 Post(s)
Liked 224 Times in 127 Posts
I didn't have this 1960s Continental too long, but I did some long rides on it the Summer I did have it. I remember one time riding it around City Island and getting a bug to head north. I wound up going up towards north Stamford, Connecticut and back. I also had a Fuji S-10-S in my collection at that time. Now I have a "Varsi-nental" (Varsity with most of the good stuff found on the Continental) and an 18-speed Fuji S-12-S in my collection. Then and now, I would prefer the Fuji over the Schwinn for longer distance rides.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
scan0001.jpg (74.5 KB, 9 views)
Old 07-22-11, 08:13 PM
-holiday76
No one cares

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 226 Post(s)
Liked 106 Times in 64 Posts
You can ride across one of the Camden/Philly bridges, but I forget which one. I've done it during tours 2 or 3 times. Unfortunately I forget which one, so I'll have to double check.

Old 07-23-11, 05:18 AM
Pompiere

Bikes: 1984 Miyata 310, 1986 Schwinn Sierra, 2011 Jamis Quest, 1980 Peugeot TH8 Tandem, 1992 Performance Parabola, 1987 Ross Mt. Hood, 1988 Schwinn LeTour, 1988 Trek 400T, 1981 Fuji S12-S LTD, 197? FW Evans

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 531 Post(s)
Liked 1,004 Times in 514 Posts
Back when our bikes were new, we did centuries on them because that was all we had. Now, people think we are crazy to ride a century on anything that weighs over 20 lbs.