Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Gulp!

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-15, 02:32 PM
Digital Gee
I need more cowbell.

Bikes: 2015 Specialized Sirrus Elite

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Gulp!

After a number of false starts, I think I'm ready to start riding again.

I moved to Reno in September, 2013. I brought my bikes with me, of course, but never quite got around to riding. Reno is much hillier than where I'd been, and a LOT was going on in my personal life as well, so cycling took a back seat.

10 months later, I found the house I now rent (which is fabulous to me). As the weather improved, I began to get the first hints that maybe I had the cycling bug again. So I took Mrs. Jones to a shop, and had her all tuned up, lubed, tires inflated (they'd gone flat), spokes tightened, the whole bit. When I picked her up she looked as good as new.

But honestly, I haven't been biking much in several years. And now that I'm thinking of doing it again, I'll be honest - there's a new fear factor which I didn't have before. I'm 64 now, not 55 (when I started). BOTH knees hurt much of the time, not just after a ride. I've put on weight.

And yet, and yet. There she is, and she seems to still want to hang with me. I need almost all new gear - bibs, helmet, jerseys, you name it. I have some, but they've shrunk (or I got fatter).

We're having unseasonably warm weather as well. Today it's probably 70 degrees. I want to be out riding!

I'm almost like a brand new cyclist. I'm wondering if I should get a simple "comfort bike" off Craigslist first, and get my sea legs back on it, and then take to the Masi?

I feel like a damn rookie. Not that there's anything wrong with that. But I'm wondering if I still have the strength, the reflexes, and the chutzpah to be out on the road again.

Shout out to all the folks who've been on this forum for a few years. It will be great to reconnect!

Proud member of the original Club Tombay
Old 03-08-15, 03:13 PM
BigAura

Bikes: all steel stable: surly world troller, paris sport fixed, fuji ss

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 623 Post(s)
Liked 55 Times in 33 Posts
You've got bikes--> get out now!
  • Start slow and in less traffic intense areas.
  • Your confidence will return and your fitness will follow.
Old 03-08-15, 03:17 PM
Jim from Boston

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 800 Post(s)
Liked 218 Times in 171 Posts
Originally Posted by Digital Gee
After a number of false starts, I think I'm ready to start riding again.

I moved to Reno in September, 2013. I brought my bikes with me, of course, but never quite got around to riding. Reno is much hillier than where I'd been, and a LOT was going on in my personal life as well, so cycling took a back seat...

But honestly, I haven't been biking much in several years. And now that I'm thinking of doing it again, I'll be honest - there's a new fear factor which I didn't have before. I'm 64 now, not 55 (when I started). BOTH knees hurt much of the time, not just after a ride. I've put on weight...

We're having unseasonably warm weather as well. Today it's probably 70 degrees. I want to be out riding!

I'm almost like a brand new cyclist. I'm wondering if I should get a simple "comfort bike" off Craigslist first, and get my sea legs back on it, and then take to the Masi?

I feel like a damn rookie. Not that there's anything wrong with that. But I'm wondering if I still have the strength, the reflexes, and the chutzpah to be out on the road again.

Shout out to all the folks who've been on this forum for a few years. It will be great to reconnect!
Not that we have chatted before, nor did I note your absence, but when I saw this thread, I immediately recognized your screen name, and said to myself, “I haven’t seem (him) for a while.” So it’s nice to hear from you.

For me work issues have kept me off the bike (mainly as a year round cycle commuter) much more than I care for the past year or so, but posting here is somewhat a compensation, and keeps the desire alive. I ride enough though to at least feel comfortable when I do, and got to experience the worst of this historic winter. Nonetheless one does have to make a decision and prioritize cycling among other life issues, and it’s high on my list.

I was off the bike totally for about 5 months after an accident, and it didn’t take too long to get back to satisfactory, albeit a new level. If you are in a new environment, previously unfamiliar to you, perhaps the novelty of exploration may get you out onto the road. I would think the area around Reno is beautiful. I continue to amaze people I meet from all over Boston, when I ask them where they live, and we have a lively chat about intimate details of their neighborhood that I learned on my bike.

I don’t know if cycling would damage the knees or make them stronger, or effectively reduce the weight if that’s an issue, but those are motivations for me to ride and keep cycling as a high priority, FWIW
Old 03-08-15, 03:18 PM
CrankyFranky
Procrastinateur supreme

Bikes: Enough bikes...for today!

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Yah, knees. If it serves to spur you back onto two wheels, my knee guy says that the strength of my quads is inversely proportional to the pain in my knees. I find that it's true. Roll on!
Old 03-08-15, 04:04 PM
MinnMan

Bikes: 2022 Salsa Beargrease Carbon Deore 11, 2020 Salsa Warbird GRX 600, 2020 Canyon Ultimate CF SLX disc 9.0 Di2, 2020 Catrike Eola, 2016 Masi cxgr, 2011, Felt F3 Ltd, 2010 Trek 2.1, 2009 KHS Flite 220

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 4392 Post(s)
Liked 3,016 Times in 1,865 Posts
I've lost chunks of time repeatedly owing to injuries and other health problems, and coming back is hard. You said, "bikes", so what else do you have besides the Masi? When I am starting from almost zero, I prefer to start with one of my less sporty bikes - it helps keep my expectations low and helps me enjoy the ride without worrying about distance and speed. I don't have any comfort bikes and I wouldn't suggest that you go that far - in my case it's an old MTB or a touring bike. It doesn't take long for me to move back to the faster road bikes, and I enjoy the progression.
Old 03-08-15, 04:17 PM
Digital Gee
I need more cowbell.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by MinnMan
I've lost chunks of time repeatedly owing to injuries and other health problems, and coming back is hard. You said, "bikes", so what else do you have besides the Masi? When I am starting from almost zero, I prefer to start with one of my less sporty bikes - it helps keep my expectations low and helps me enjoy the ride without worrying about distance and speed. I don't have any comfort bikes and I wouldn't suggest that you go that far - in my case it's an old MTB or a touring bike. It doesn't take long for me to move back to the faster road bikes, and I enjoy the progression.
Funny you mention that; I've been thinking about that. I also have a 2009 Specialized Globe Vienna 2, which in my old neighborhood served as the grocery / library / coffee shop bike. Heavy, slow, but steady and sturdy. It, too, needs a major tune-up, and I had been thinking I would sell that because I can't get the same kind of usage here, maybe my first stop is to get it rideable and use it to get my confidence back. Thanks for the suggestion!

Old 03-08-15, 04:21 PM
MinnMan

Bikes: 2022 Salsa Beargrease Carbon Deore 11, 2020 Salsa Warbird GRX 600, 2020 Canyon Ultimate CF SLX disc 9.0 Di2, 2020 Catrike Eola, 2016 Masi cxgr, 2011, Felt F3 Ltd, 2010 Trek 2.1, 2009 KHS Flite 220

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 4392 Post(s)
Liked 3,016 Times in 1,865 Posts
Something else is that I have done is to NOT take the Garmin. It's better for me at first to not be paying any attention to speed. I just want to enjoy being out and riding. And I can estimate the distance after the fact.
Old 03-08-15, 04:35 PM
EvilWeasel

Bikes: Trekalized 7.Sequoia Elite+

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Get your bike properly fitted. Most people's seats need to be raised more than they would think. Especially if bad knees are involved.
Old 03-08-15, 05:20 PM
Retro Grouch 

Bikes: Catrike 559 I own some others but they don't get ridden very much.

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1572 Post(s)
Liked 643 Times in 364 Posts
Deege - Just do it! You never forget how, it's like riding a bicycle.

Uh - good to see you back, by the way.
Old 03-08-15, 06:06 PM
qcpmsame 
Semper Fi

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 1172 Post(s)
Liked 358 Times in 241 Posts
Great to see you post, Deege, I had wondered of a memorial was in order for you. As long as the Masi/Mrs. Jones is in good order now, it was fitted pretty well as I remember, get some miles in, even if it is just a few each day and get your legs and butt back in shape. The weight will disappear with riding and sound nutrition, as you probably can recall. Even if its a few miles a day, several days a week, get back in the habit if getting out on the bike. I hope that you were able to stay away from the coffin nails, you were working on quitting them as I remember a few years back, when you had gotten the Masi. If not the riding will help you with getting them gone for good.

Lots of new folks around the place now, it will be nice to have another of the old gang back around the place. stick around regardless of how things are going, we can help you get back in the groove.

Bill

I Can Do All Things Through Him, Who Gives Me Strength. Philippians 4:13

Old 03-08-15, 06:16 PM
OldsCOOL

Bikes: '77 Colnago Super, '76 Fuji The Finest, '88 Cannondale Criterium, '86 Trek 760, '87 Miyata 712

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 659 Post(s)
Liked 595 Times in 313 Posts
Reno? And it was 70F today? Oh man. Get out and do a spin around the block, you'll find the rest of it.

Welcome back.
Old 03-08-15, 07:25 PM
Artkansas 
Pedaled too far.

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
DG! Well, there's no rule that says that n+1 needs to be more expensive than n. I'm glad you've kept Mrs. Jones. Anything that gets you riding regularly is the right thing to do.

3 months ago I started a new job that required an 8 mile bike commute after several years of staying at home. I remember one of the first nights returning from work, I had to stop to rest while rolling down hill. I'm better now, but there are still some parts of the route that require me to take breaks. So do it, but be easy on yourself.

Originally Posted by Bjforrestal
I don't care if you are on a unicycle, as long as you're not using a motor to get places you get props from me. We're here to support each other. Share ideas, and motivate one another to actually keep doing it.
Old 03-08-15, 08:06 PM
Spoke
Team Geritol

Bikes: Cannondale R700 USA Ed., & Motobecane Century Team & Motobecane Titanium

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
DG, welcome back. I second getting a fitting. That is important for the knees! Try my tried and true two step return to cycling program: Step 1: Ride. Step 2: repeat. Enjoy!

Ride On!
-Spoke
Old 03-08-15, 08:09 PM
Mr IGH
afraid of whales

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 347 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
...I also have a 2009 Specialized Globe Vienna 2, which in my old neighborhood served as the grocery / library / coffee shop bike. Heavy, slow, but steady and sturdy....
Nothing wrong a second bike. You can use it for running errands too. Wait on getting new clothes, I'd buy a pair of cycling shorts and start calorie counting, you'll fit in those old clothes before you know it.
Old 03-08-15, 08:41 PM
doctor j

Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 3 Posts
Oh no! Ride reports with WHITE bikes
Old 03-08-15, 08:49 PM
Digital Gee
I need more cowbell.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by qcpmsame
I hope that you were able to stay away from the coffin nails, you were working on quitting them as I remember a few years back, when you had gotten the Masi.

Lots of new folks around the place now, it will be nice to have another of the old gang back around the place. stick around regardless of how things are going, we can help you get back in the groove.

Bill
Happy to report that March 14th will be the THIRD anniversary of giving up cigarettes. Yay!

Old 03-08-15, 08:57 PM
Digital Gee
I need more cowbell.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
It feels SOOOOO good to reconnect with you folks and this forum. Thanks to EVERYONE who responded; it's all great advice. I took out all my old jerseys and bibs and such, and the good news is they all still fit! Washed 'em up and gave 'em proper hangers like they deserve.

I'm going to get the Globe all tuned up and start with that. I'm going to leave any Garmins or other cyclometers at home for now and not even think too much about how far I went, or how fast I went, etc. I just want to reconnect with the joy of riding.

I helped a friend move this week, and her new neighbor across the street appears to do some wrenching in his garage (two people came up and dropped off bikes today, for example). I'll see if he wants to get the Globe up and running, and then I'll start my new program. I think all I really need to buy is a new helmet; I have the old one but it feels a little dried up.

This just feels so good. Thanks, all.

PS: And yes, WHITE bike reports. The best kind.

Old 03-08-15, 09:05 PM
jppe
Let's do a Century

Bikes: Cervelo R3 Disc, Pinarello Prince/Campy SR; Cervelo R3/Sram Red; Trek 5900/Duraace, Lynskey GR260 Ultegra

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Quoted: 651 Post(s)
Liked 879 Times in 408 Posts
Hey DeeGee! A few of us are still hanging around. Didn't you used to have a "Ruby"? Seems like you enjoyed a lot of miles on her on the bike paths.
Old 03-09-15, 12:21 AM
Red Rider
Don't mince words

Bikes: '16 BH Quartz, 2017 Calfeecustom carbon tandem, Fuji D6 TT bike

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by BigAura
You've got bikes--> get out now!
  • Start slow and in less traffic intense areas.
  • Your confidence will return and your fitness will follow.
^^^^ This!

Deeg! I thought you quit us and we'd never see you again. So glad you're back!

So, yeah, just ride. I've put on weight as well, and don't like it, but I ride every chance I get; it will get me more healthy and fit and then my bike clothes won't be so tight.

The answers to most of life's problems it to ride your bike.
Old 03-09-15, 06:00 AM
qcpmsame 
Semper Fi

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 1172 Post(s)
Liked 358 Times in 241 Posts
Happy to report that March 14th will be the THIRD anniversary of giving up cigarettes. Yay!
Outstanding, Deege, I have been thinking about you recently, with so much turnover from old members not posting, for various reasons, and a big group of new guys/gals recently the ones that just fade out kind of bothers me. Its nice to hear from you, stick around, it will be great to have someone to review the colonoscopy films, once again.

Bill

I Can Do All Things Through Him, Who Gives Me Strength. Philippians 4:13

Old 03-09-15, 07:32 AM
big john

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 8281 Post(s)
Liked 9,053 Times in 4,479 Posts
Welcome back! Like they said, just start riding around, a little at a time, and keep it fun.
Oh, RacerEx has also moved to Reno. He'll show you the ropes whenever you're ready.
Old 03-09-15, 07:49 AM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5224 Post(s)
Liked 3,584 Times in 2,344 Posts
when I feel like a newbie I pack the bike on the car and take a shakeout ride on a paved trail w/o cars. good confidence builder cuz there's usually a little kid or wheelchair I can pass ...
Old 03-09-15, 09:25 AM
David Bierbaum

Bikes: 1992 Specialized Crossroads (red)

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked 35 Times in 19 Posts
Congratulations on that! Now you can go from smoking a pack a day, to smoking a pack of cyclists a day!
Old 03-09-15, 07:38 PM
Monoborracho

Bikes: More than I really should own.

Quoted: 205 Post(s)
Liked 20 Times in 18 Posts
Just go ride and let the rest sort itself out. Good to see you again.
Old 03-09-15, 07:48 PM
FBinNY 

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5791 Post(s)
Liked 2,581 Times in 1,431 Posts
Originally Posted by Monoborracho
Just go ride and let the rest sort itself out. Good to see you again.
+1, Just ride. let your hill climbing ability and traffic fear choose the routes, and your legs the distance. Later, you can go faster, climb higher, and ride farther along more interesting roads or trails. but all bike rides start with a single turn of the cranks.

An ounce of diagnosis is worth a pound of cure.

Just because I'm tired of arguing, doesn't mean you're right.

“One accurate measurement is worth a thousand expert opinions” - Adm Grace Murray Hopper - USN

WARNING, I'm from New York. Thin skinned people should maintain safe distance.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.