Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Mountain Biking
Reload this Page >

DB Mason Trail for Beginner

Notices
Mountain Biking Mountain biking is one of the fastest growing sports in the world. Check out this forum to discuss the latest tips, tricks, gear and equipment in the world of mountain biking.

Old 01-05-18, 08:04 PM
cmb1177

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hello all,

I'm totally new to mountain biking and have been shopping around for my first bike.

With the little I've learned about mtb components and parts, the DB Mason Trail looks (to me) to be a pretty decent option for the money (sales/offers bring it in under $900).

I have yet to ride any *real* local single track, but I'm told we have a lot of roots in the region and a plus bike would be a nice option.

I've been road riding for a bunch of years and I'm reasonably comfortable with ordering online and doing some assembly and maintenance. I do feel guilty not buying from my local shops, but if the DB is what it looks like, it's hard to beat the value.

So, I'm hoping to get some more experienced opinions!

Thanks!
Old 01-06-18, 07:06 PM
buffalo4life

Bikes: 86 Trek 330 fixie, 2011 Trek 1.1, POS mb

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
That bike looks like a good beginner bike, particularly if you are looking for plus sized tires. Hard to fault a 1 x 10 drivetrain and hydro brakes. I bought a plus sized hardtail last year, the Raleigh Tokul 4130 and I love it!
Old 01-07-18, 12:08 PM
RayLee

Bikes: YT Izzo, Privateer 161, Carbonda 696, Mason InSearchOf, cheap SC High Ball knock off

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 5 Posts
Got to ride one around my local trails and its a really fun bike! slack HTA and steep seat tube makes it blast.
Thought the Suntour forks and Tektro brakes might suck (Im 200 pounds) but they worked really well.

I ride a Specialized Camber full suspension and haven't been on a hardtail in many years but I was able to make it up and over steep rooty spots just fine even with my terrible form... thinking the fat tires were the reason. Really liked this bike

Maybe Im just unlucky but I haven't had great luck with local bikes shops... they never seem to stock XL bikes or any of the parts I need anyway so I just do my own work.

Outside of the Raleigh Tokul I dont think there are many/any modest price hardtail with "newer" longer slacker fork geometry... all the sub $1500 ones I have seen are more XC like.
Old 04-11-18, 01:21 PM
hell_yes
Custom User Title

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
This thread is a little aged but I picked up a Mason Trail and I'm loving it.