Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

2018! The “How was your commute?” thread!

Search
Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

2018! The “How was your commute?” thread!

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-18, 04:52 AM
essiemyra

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked 153 Times in 87 Posts
Originally Posted by arsprod
I hosted a Warmshowers rider last night. Nice young guy who's moving from Vermont to San Francisco and rather than packing his bike he packed his bike and is riding it. Oh man to be young and intentionally unemployed!
I agree, not so necessarily to be young but to be intentionally unemployed would be nice with means to support oneself. I would want to be able to do multi-day tours. I like the idea of hosting warmshower riders, unfortunately my husband is not as open to the idea of strangers in our house .

A very pleasant uneventful ride to work this am.
Old 07-24-18, 06:14 AM
mgw4jc

Bikes: Cannondale Synapse, Trek 5000 TCT, Giant OCR

Mentioned: 43 Post(s)
Quoted: 255 Post(s)
Liked 22 Times in 18 Posts
My wife picked me up yesterday. It rained pretty heavy for a while between 4 and 5. It let up and stopped by 5, but we hit more showers on the drive home. I would have been pretty soaked.

Instead, I got soaked this morning. It wasn't raining when I left, but started about halfway through. I was in a steady rain for about 10-15 minutes, then it got lighter. I don't mind it, but the wet clothes are a bit of problem. I hung them on my bike which is parked inside under some stairs. More rain is expected most of the day, so we'll see if I get a rescue again or if I'll just ride in the rain again this afternoon.
Old 07-24-18, 07:07 AM
Nate1991

Bikes: 2018 Giant Roam 2

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Temperatures have been pretty nice lately, little windy at times. More and more construction on sidewalks I use for crossing busy intersections are popping up. Makes it a little more of nuisance to get across.
Old 07-24-18, 08:00 AM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 511 Post(s)
Quoted: 7348 Post(s)
Liked 2,464 Times in 1,433 Posts
I took 5th Ave home from rehearsal last night, and the police stopped me and diverted me as I approached the site of the steam pipe explosion. It was actually a much bigger disaster than I realized. Many buildings were evacuated. There was asbestos, and they were asking people to drop off their exposed clothing for testing. Some of the area is still off limits.

This morning was neither hot nor cool, but the air is thick with humidity. I got to work drenched. I gave myself a sponge bath of witch hazel and changed my clothes. I am now cool and dry.

Yesterday, a maintenance guy came to fix the A/C in my office. It was insanely cold, and I was having trouble thinking. I wondered if this would worsen my cool-down period in the morning. I found that it does not, so that's good news. I don't know how cold it was before, but it's 75F in here now, which is fine.

This evening, I'm going to make a blood platelets donation. I've been doing this a lot lately, as the blood center keeps asking me back. I wish I could make it more comfortable. It's pretty uncomfortable, as it takes a lot longer than a regular whole blood donation. They tell me it's a huge help to people whose lives are at stake, so that's what keeps me going. The needle stays in my arm for two hours, and it feels progressively worse as time wears on. But I'm enjoying unusually good health, so I give back in this way.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
Old 07-24-18, 09:12 AM
ptempel

Bikes: 2007 Ridley Excalibur, 2003 Orbea Orca, 199? Cannondale Headshock MTB hardtail

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 520 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 10 Posts
I took advantage of the decent weather and ride in from home today. It was humid but not raining. So all good! There was some wind later into the ride but it was nice. It acted as a bit of natural air conditioning for me. Beats the hell out of a stuffy and hot Path train car that I rode yesterday to Hoboken. The Penn station train delays and the Path ride to Hoboken are some reasons to cyclecommute if there were any. I might have to take the day off tomorrow. Its supposed to rain more than Monday but depends on if I want to get wet or not. Will see.
@noglider, I like your photos and the description of the lady that passed you. I don't recall seeing anyone on a bike smoking a cigarette, but it is NYC. So just about anything is possible. And running red lights too.
Old 07-24-18, 09:20 AM
Tundra_Man 
The Fat Guy In The Back

Bikes: '81 Panasonic Sport, '02 Giant Boulder SE, '08 Felt S32, '10 Diamondback Insight RS, '10 Windsor Clockwork, '15 Kestrel Evoke 3.0, '19 Salsa Mukluk

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Quoted: 320 Post(s)
Liked 177 Times in 115 Posts
It was surprisingly chilly this morning. I didn't look at the thermometer before I left (hey, it's July) so I don't know how cold it was. For the first half of the commute I found myself wishing I had worn gloves. By the second half I had warmed up where my hand's weren't freezing, but weren't warm either.

On the flip side, there wasn't a cloud in the sky and there was absolutely no wind. So overall it was good.
Old 07-24-18, 09:23 AM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

@ptempel, the cigarette was the least unusual thing of that woman. I see some really crazy sh*t here. Like people on skateboards going the wrong way reading their phones. And worse stuff I can't even remember. I wish I could take pictures more quickly.

Tomorrow's forecast calls for heavy rain all day tomorrow. I haven't decided what to do yet, but I'm leaning towards riding now that my clothing changing routine works so well. I have a party to attend tomorrow evening, so I should bring an extra extra set of clothes.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Old 07-24-18, 10:32 AM
HardyWeinberg
GATC

Quoted: 464 Post(s)
Liked 49 Times in 27 Posts
64F, hazy. Should get to the 90s later.
Old 07-24-18, 12:43 PM
no motor?
Unlisted member

Bikes: Specialized Hardrock

Quoted: 1376 Post(s)
Liked 432 Times in 297 Posts
I had my first commute in over a week this morning after not being able to ride due to bad weather, car problems and family obligations. If was wonderful.
Old 07-24-18, 01:23 PM
wphamilton

Bikes: Nashbar Road

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Quoted: 2934 Post(s)
Liked 341 Times in 228 Posts
Easy going ride today, mostly considerate drivers. A couple of close passes, but going past slowly so it barely even registers.

A co-worker asked out of the blue where my "bike shell" was, which I haven't used since once or twice over six months ago. I said it was too hot for that, which is true, but the bigger reason is I want to overhaul the shape some. It's got some angles that I thought would work, but really don't, so I want to smooth those out and slim it down before riding again. Maybe this week, while I have a few days off ...
Old 07-24-18, 05:51 PM
surak

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix, Canyon Inflite AL SLX, Ibis Ripley AF, Priority Continuum Onyx, Santana Vision, Kent Dual-Drive Tandem

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 873 Post(s)
Liked 726 Times in 436 Posts
I brought my bike in by bus this morning because I had an early call. Gonna be a hot one going home tonight, but what has me a tad worried is me realizing that the squeaking coming from the front end of the bike wasn't just tire rubber, but either a headset or steerer issue. Of course I did some Web searches for possible reasons, and unfortunately I'd taken my multitool out and forgot to put it back in my saddle bag, so can't test whether it's as simple as tightening the headset, or as bad as something is cracked and going to break. Most likely just need to tighten down the bolts... Going to check down in my building's bike cage to see if they have any allen wrenches. I know there are some tools hanging off the bike pump in there.
Old 07-25-18, 04:55 AM
essiemyra

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked 153 Times in 87 Posts
A very pleasant ride to work this am even with the humidity at 70%. As I was stopping at a red light this am I heard a small noise behind me. I looked in my helmet mirror and there was a guy on a road bike coming to a stop also. He immediately passed me when the light turned green, though he did say hi.

I typically never see other riders on my way to work. Though I have been noticing more people riding in our area lately. I think that is due to the bike path that has been put in and it still in the process of extended. I even see young(10-15) kids out riding in groups.
Old 07-25-18, 07:44 AM
arsprod 

Bikes: Fairdale Weekender Drop, Motobecane 29LTD, Cannondale H400, Basso Coral

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 183 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 14 Posts
I could get used to these morning upper 60's, evening mid 80's temps!
Old 07-25-18, 07:53 AM
pdlamb

Bikes: Fuji Touring, Novara Randonee

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 2604 Post(s)
Liked 1,928 Times in 1,210 Posts
I had an overnight business trip the first of the week that hit when a "cold" front had just cooled things down to tolerable. I fooled the weather, I got back and it was still comfortable this morning! It's amazing how much difference 5 degrees cooler can make.

The problem with biking to work in this weather is when I get here I have to stop and go to work. :/
Old 07-25-18, 09:22 AM
rhm
multimodal commuter

Bikes: 1940s Fothergill, 1959 Allegro Special, 1963? Claud Butler Olympic Sprint, Lambert 'Clubman', 1974 Fuji "the Ace", 1976 Holdsworth 650b conversion rando bike, 1983 Trek 720 tourer, 1984 Counterpoint Opus II, 1993 Basso Gap, 2010 Downtube 8h, and...

Mentioned: 584 Post(s)
Quoted: 1908 Post(s)
Liked 574 Times in 339 Posts
While I was sleeping peacefully on the train this morning, it started raining. No way around it, I rode the 0.8 miles from the station to my office, and I got pretty drenched. Let's say 85% drenched (there were still a few small dry spots on me, like on the back of my legs). Oy! I've dried out now, but the forecast is for another drenching this afternoon. Ugh.
Old 07-25-18, 09:51 AM
HardyWeinberg
GATC

65F, blinding sun
Old 07-25-18, 10:07 AM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

I decided that with lots of rain in today's forecast, it would be a good day off the bike. I put some nice music on my headphones and read The New Yorker on the subway, and it was a pleasant ride.

Old 07-25-18, 09:50 PM
Darth Lefty 
Disco Infiltrator

Bikes: Stormchaser, Paramount, Tilt, Samba tandem

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 3126 Post(s)
Liked 2,105 Times in 1,369 Posts
I’ve been in Huntsville, AL this week for work. It’s interesting to see a place so weirdly similar and different to my own. Most of my time has been spent in the industry park region north of Redstone. The streets all look about the same quality or price as the ones in a similar area back in CA. But there are no provisions for bikes or pedestrians. The streets have hard curbs and no shoulder. I’ve seen a few cyclists on these roads and the drivers must slow or swerve to avoid them. There are similarly no sidewalks and no crosswalks. Even in a mall parking garage there was nowhere to walk. The handicap spaces are just randomly wide. In CA they’d be marked whether they were suitably wide for a side loading wheelchair and have a lot of cross hatching. One of my coworkers who moved here was a daily cyclist for a 5 mike ride in Folsom. Here he’s trying it for 7 miles but it’s clearly going to be a lot more taxing. I’m glad he rides before rush hour.
Old 07-26-18, 06:38 AM
mgw4jc

Originally Posted by Darth Lefty
I’ve been in Huntsville, AL this week for work. It’s interesting to see a place so weirdly similar and different to my own. Most of my time has been spent in the industry park region north of Redstone. The streets all look about the same quality or price as the ones in a similar area back in CA. But there are no provisions for bikes or pedestrians. The streets have hard curbs and no shoulder. I’ve seen a few cyclists on these roads and the drivers must slow or swerve to avoid them. There are similarly no sidewalks and no crosswalks. Even in a mall parking garage there was nowhere to walk. The handicap spaces are just randomly wide. In CA they’d be marked whether they were suitably wide for a side loading wheelchair and have a lot of cross hatching. One of my coworkers who moved here was a daily cyclist for a 5 mike ride in Folsom. Here he’s trying it for 7 miles but it’s clearly going to be a lot more taxing. I’m glad he rides before rush hour.
Welcome to the southeast. Your description of the roads lacking pedestrian/cyclist paths is very common. While I can use a couple of greenways on my commute, 80+% of it is on a road with no shoulder and drivers must go around.
Old 07-26-18, 06:44 AM
mgw4jc

I was off work yesterday. Rain and clouds are out now and we're back to humid mornings and 90F afternoons.

I came out of a MUP today and another cyclist was riding through the neighborhood. I rode with him for a bit. He had some pretty wide tires on what looked like a road bike and said his normal road bike was in pieces. he looked like a strong rider but definitely slowed a lot on any incline.

15 miles for the morning in hopes to get my 4 days of commuting (actually 3.5) as close to 100 miles as possible.
Old 07-26-18, 07:34 AM
KCBikeCommuter

Bikes: Klein Quantum Race; Cannondale Supersix EVO Di2; Trek Crossrip LTD; Trek Boone 9 Disc

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Had an interesting encounter on my commute home last night. I was riding through a more ‘industrial’ part of town (past the local Ford plant) and I can see an SUV parked the shoulder about ¼-mile up the road. The driver is standing outside the SUV and flags me to stop. Now, normally I might be inclined to keep right on pedaling, but I did notice this SUV had a bike rack on the back… so I stopped. Turned out to be a really nice guy that had just moved to the area. He was out trying to find a safe route to commute when he saw me and thought he’d ask. We probably talked for 15-minutes. Hopefully I’ll have another commuter along my route soon!
Old 07-26-18, 08:17 AM
Nate1991

Bikes: 2018 Giant Roam 2

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Little brisk this morning, was not expecting it or dressed for it really, probably could of wore pants. If the wind would die off my commutes would be a little more enjoyable. Group of 8-10 cyclists getting on the train with me this morning, must have had a group ride somewhere. Looked far more fun than going to work.
Old 07-26-18, 08:48 AM
pdlamb

Bikes: Fuji Touring, Novara Randonee

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 2604 Post(s)
Liked 1,928 Times in 1,210 Posts
Nice weather, especially since I didn't see the fog the Weather Service was reporting. I extended my ride in, since I'll be off (and off the bike) tomorrow. I'm a lot more energetic in the cool mornings than I am when the heat index passes 100 degrees in the afternoon.
@Darth Lefty, your observations seem a lot like where I ride. Strangely enough, I find the four-five lane minor arterials a lot better to ride than many of the designated bike routes around here. Even during rush hour the drivers can normally get around me with minor difficulty at most (and I usually catch up to them at the next traffic light anyhow). Between that and the older, gridded street networks, there's a lot of good places to ride.

FWIW, I've observed similar roads most places I've been, except California and urban Colorado and Arizona. Only in the last 15 years have most other states started widening shoulders to the point a bicycle can ride on them, and it takes a long time for funding to do that to any significant fraction of rural roads.
Old 07-26-18, 09:25 AM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Hazy and cloudy but cool. I had a tail wind, which is always nice. Towards the end, I slowed down so I wouldn't sweat too much. I knew I would be drenched by the time I got to work, and I was. I dried off while changing clothes. It was nice to be back on the bike today after a day off. There are lots of good looking walkers and joggers and cyclists on the river path.

Old 07-26-18, 09:50 AM
HardyWeinberg
GATC

69F, sunny. Took 23 mile route in.

I have to be somewhere dressed up at 5:30. I brought a nice shirt as well as work clothes today so I can either a) ride there, try to cool down, put on nice shirt b) leave work early, ride home, shower, drive back, or c) some other version of drive there (take work car from office, drive back, ride home, race home, drive back, don't shower...)

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.