Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

Have you ever been buzzed by a car while on tour?

Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

Have you ever been buzzed by a car while on tour?

Old 11-02-18, 09:11 AM
CreakingCrank

Bikes: Two. One daily rider. One with detachment issues.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Thanks Tom and mev for sharing your stories. I had heard about purposeful and dangerous harassment toward bicycles but always thought they were quite rare. After my encounter and hearing yours, maybe not so rare. FWIW, I find the overwhelming majority of drivers courteous and careful while on tour. Some less careful than others, but this was my first (hopefully last) malicious encounter.

BTW, I also had an unexpected bear encounter in the middle of the night on that tour. The bear actually tore through a neighboring tent and touched the occupant's head, before screaming chased it off. The truck was far more unnerving than the bear.
Old 11-02-18, 09:42 AM
boomhauer

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 226 Post(s)
Liked 45 Times in 32 Posts
These stories are incredible and make me super angry.
I want to carry a paintball handgun to get back at the jerks that do stuff like this.
I'm thinking that soybean oil paint ball will force them to stop and wipe off their windshield so i will be able to catch up and beat them to death with my bike lock.
Old 11-02-18, 11:02 AM
M69thunder

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I've had numerous close calls

I have had many close calls. A young girl, on a cell phone, driving way over the speed limit, on narrow road (about 1 1/2 cars wide) coming head on, ran me off the road. There was no shoulder, about a foot deep ditch. When my front tire hit the ditch, I fell to the left. My shoulder slid along the side of her SUV. She never even slowed down, kept on going. That was probably my closet. I've had beer bottles thrown at me. Even got hit with a apple. Almost caught them, they ran a red light to get away. A friend got killed a few months ago, hit head on by a guy, with a suspended license, turning into a one way street, going the wrong way. Never been to Europe, but some friends told me it's a lot safer.

Hope every one stays safe...
Old 11-02-18, 11:15 AM
Papa Tom

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 863 Post(s)
Liked 234 Times in 136 Posts
By the way, I'm not even sure the driver of the pickup in my story was intentionally harassing me. This was a very narrow, winding road with a lot of blind corners. I would never choose it for cycling again. My assumption is that the driver, who was going way too fast (especially with an empty flatbed in tow) was taken by surprise when he saw me. He probably became flustered and angry and instinctively hit the gas pedal, mowing down the mailbox and then driving off just to get away from the situation. There were no words exchanged and I can't even say I saw him laugh, flip the bird, or do anything to antagonize me.

Sometimes it's OUR fault, too.

UPDATE: OK, I realized, after re-reading my post, that I kind of implied the whole harassment thing with lines like "crazy New England red-neck" and "primed to terrorize some other unsuspecting cyclist," but while that is how I felt at the time, I've taken a softer, more sympathetic attitude toward the driver all these years later.

People sometimes react in dangerous, careless ways out of pure fear. He might have been a kid going way too fast down an empty road he traveled every day and the thought of being involved in a collision - maybe even a fatal one - may have scrambled his brain for that one moment. As a young, macho man, his instinct was to hit the gas, bump out his chest, and take off as fast as he could. I will never know what was in his head. Only mine.

Last edited by Papa Tom; 11-02-18 at 03:20 PM.
Old 11-02-18, 02:15 PM
JoeyBike
20+mph Commuter

Bikes: Surly LHT, Surly Lowside, a folding bike, and a beater.

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 1422 Post(s)
Liked 315 Times in 210 Posts
Originally Posted by Papa Tom
...then felt a massive wave of hot hair blowing through my t-shirt....
Setting: Somewhere in Montana on a long, straight 2-lane highway, perfect clear day, no cars in sight for miles. A huge, wide, pink Cadillac with steer horns on the front grill (I kid you not, just like in a movie) driving about 100mph "purposely" strafed me missing me by mere inches. I felt the HOT AIR from the engine pouring out from under the front wheel-well as "he" passed! Just like you. Been there, $h!7 myself, but never veered ONE INCH past the end of the pavement or missed a pedal stroke. It was a good day to die anyway. Not my time apparently. How on Earth could that not be on purpose? Long before cell phones. c.1989.

Originally Posted by Papa Tom
jumped the curb and completely took out the mailbox!
Old 11-02-18, 10:51 PM
DropBarFan

Bikes: 2013 Surly Disc Trucker, 2004 Novara Randonee , old fixie , etc

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 671 Post(s)
Liked 49 Times in 43 Posts
Never got buzzed by a semi; once got buzzed by a drunk in a pickup truck but that was a suburban area in the home stretch of tour. Generally I find the rural drivers to be more polite & competent than urban/suburban drivers but of course there can be aggressive drivers anywhere.
Old 11-03-18, 04:12 AM
KraneXL

Bikes: Cannondale Quick SL1 Bike - 2014

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quoted: 3405 Post(s)
Liked 240 Times in 185 Posts
Originally Posted by tspoon
I had a guy in a pickup break his right hand mirror on my left arm in Alabama. I don't really know if it was intentional or if he was some other type of incompetent. He pulled off a side road and stopped in a car park but I was too annoyed to try to engage in any way. It is a little disheartening when it happens, especially when you consider the vast majority of courteous drivers who appreciate your effort to share to road and share it back accordingly.
You should have reported it. In some states in the U.S. any incident involving contact is required by law regardless of whether there's any injury or not.
Old 11-03-18, 06:40 AM
andrewclaus

Bikes: 2016 Fuji Tread, 1983 Trek 520

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 669 Post(s)
Liked 725 Times in 422 Posts
I'd be real surprised if anyone who spends a lot of time on a bike has NOT been buzzed by a car clown.

How about the one who pulls off in the gravel shoulder in front of you, then peels out?
Old 11-03-18, 03:41 PM
KraneXL

Originally Posted by andrewclaus
I'd be real surprised if anyone who spends a lot of time on a bike has NOT been buzzed by a car clown.

How about the one who pulls off in the gravel shoulder in front of you, then peels out?
Fortunately, we don't have a lot of gravel around these parts.
Old 11-03-18, 07:56 PM
kaos joe

Bikes: Trek 5200, Rivendell Atlantis, Soma DoubleCross, Bilenky Signature tandem, Cannondale RT3000 tandem, Santa Cruz TallBoy, Kona Explosif, Bridgestone MB2

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 386 Post(s)
Liked 164 Times in 89 Posts
Originally Posted by DropBarFan
....Generally I find the rural drivers to be more polite & competent than urban/suburban drivers but of course there can be aggressive drivers anywhere.
This.
I've encountered Buzzers, Hecklers, Honkers, Throwers of Things and General Asshats aplenty here on Long Island, but can't remember any negative incidents on my tours, most of which have been in very rural places. I did get chased by a dog once north of Watkins Glen, NY.
Old 11-04-18, 01:53 AM
jamawani 
Hooked on Touring

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 347 Post(s)
Liked 141 Times in 91 Posts
That's why I have a top tube mounted bazooka.
Old 11-04-18, 01:59 AM
3speed

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 363 Post(s)
Liked 28 Times in 22 Posts
I’ve had some jackass honkers and yellers, but no one actually driving at me. I hope it never happens.

Sounds like the story about a ride in the rockies, while not right that a driver would put someone in danger, was very deserved driver frustration. A Massive group of cyclists decide to get together, say f-you to everyone else on the road and overtake the whole thing, leaving probably Many drivers with no choice but to follow at 10mph for god knows how long or try to make pass after nerve-racking pass trying to overtake 2,000 self-centered cyclists safely. Who wouldn’t be frustrated??? I love biking and put down probably 150mi/week biking on the roads and I’d still be flipping you guys off if you did that to me. That’s outright rude and inconsiderate to say the least. How would you like it if a wall of impassable pedestrians walking 2mph took over your cycling paths one day while you’re trying to get to work? We should all be sharing the roadway and coexisting peacefully together.
Old 11-04-18, 11:06 AM
Spoonrobot 

Mentioned: 63 Post(s)
Quoted: 1210 Post(s)
Liked 167 Times in 107 Posts
Yes quite the “story” 🤔
Old 11-04-18, 11:24 AM
samkl 

Bikes: 2004 Trek 520, resto-modded 1987 Cannondale SR400, rando-modded 1976 AD Vent Noir; 2019 Wabi Classic; 1989? Burley Duet

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 213 Post(s)
Liked 93 Times in 51 Posts
Originally Posted by JoeyBike
I had this exact same encounter. Pick-up truck with a cowboy driving and a woman in the passenger seat, both laughing. Highway 22 between Ponchatoula and Madisonville, Louisiana in the early '90s. They did not scare us off the road BTW. My touring bud was right behind me.

No doubt someone here will contest the intent of our cowboys.
I think this was the climax of the the 1969 classic Easy Rider.
Old 11-04-18, 11:34 AM
CreakingCrank

Bikes: Two. One daily rider. One with detachment issues.

Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by 3speed
I’ve had some jackass honkers and yellers, but no one actually driving at me. I hope it never happens.

Sounds like the story about a ride in the rockies, while not right that a driver would put someone in danger, was very deserved driver frustration. A Massive group of cyclists decide to get together, say f-you to everyone else on the road and overtake the whole thing, leaving probably Many drivers with no choice but to follow at 10mph for god knows how long or try to make pass after nerve-racking pass trying to overtake 2,000 self-centered cyclists safely. Who wouldn’t be frustrated??? I love biking and put down probably 150mi/week biking on the roads and I’d still be flipping you guys off if you did that to me. That’s outright rude and inconsiderate to say the least. How would you like it if a wall of impassable pedestrians walking 2mph took over your cycling paths one day while you’re trying to get to work? We should all be sharing the roadway and coexisting peacefully together.
Agree. It seems the cyclists who cry "Share the Road" the loudest, fail to share the road themselves.
Old 11-04-18, 12:17 PM
bird62

Bikes: Trek 720, 1984

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I once had a car change lanes and drive directly at me from behind (watching in my mirror) and laid on the horn as it reached me. I was riding as far right as I could on the road and there was no other traffic. 27x1,3/4 doesn't do too well on loose gravel shoulder so I stayed on the road. It was obvious it was intentional to try and get me off the road and it was sad to experience. My heart was racing as it was maybe a foot I was missed and I was too shaken to look at the driver.
Needless to say, I'm leery of cars when I'm riding, especially with cell phone use; but on the flip side, I'm also leery of cyclist when I'm driving as I've seen many swerve without paying any attention to traffic.
Old 11-04-18, 12:40 PM
baj2

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by JoeyBike
Yeah, but I am usually just grateful they don't make a second pass. I do agree that your technique would be quite effective at determining intent.

What about handfulls of M&Ms, lit firecrackers, empty or part full beverage bottles / cups, a quart of oil, air-soft pellets, paintballs, any available kids toy on the floorboard, one or both shoes, paperback novels, to name a few object thrown from moving cars at me over the years. Was that intentional? Or just litterbugs who happen to just be passing me. I look at getting buzzed the same way - they just couldn't get their hands on anything to throw. As you said: "It usually is [deliberate]"
I once had two high school kids in a car coming at me on a road with wide shoulders turn across the road and aim right at me, stop just short of the shoulder and the passenger threw their fast-food wrappers (wadded into a tight ball) at me. Must have been a poor athlete, missed by a wide margin. I did stop and pull out my phone, but only got a couple digits of the license plate so I didn't call 911. In retrospect the car was older and unique enough I probably should have called it in anyway.

But yeah, I've experience the swerves, shoulder-crowding, intentionally-timed horn blows and barking dogs hanging out windows, other debris thrown, cursing, having to explain the MN state law to drivers at stop lights, and why a "road" bike isn't riding on trails.

One of my favorites was a women having a complete melt-down, rolling down her car windows to scream at me because I was riding on the road and not the beat-up side walk. I kept passing her at every stop light, and she'd pass me back down the road, and I swear I could hear her screaming the whole way not just when she passed me. I probably should have been more afraid than I was, I started out really annoyed but just couldn't help laughing by the 3rd or 4th pass and her continued melt-down.

I've only been hit once, and it was pretty minor. I turned a corner onto a road with a bike lane and a really old man turned the corner right after me, accelerated until I was right on his rear quarter panel, then turned right into an apt complex parking lot right through me. I had one hand on his roof, one cleated shoe on his rear passenger door, and somehow steered my bike around the corner with him staying upright into the parking lot. By the time my heart stopped racing and I realized I wasn't dead he had disappeared.

And all of this has happened in the #1 bike-friendly state in the US (MN).
Old 11-04-18, 12:54 PM
cygnussailor

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Similar thing in Oklahoma!

I was riding on Hwy 70 near Durant, Oklahoma. It is a 2 lane country road that is the direct route between Hugo and Durant, and has a speed limit of 65 mph. I always get off the traveling lane when a semi is coming from my rear and there is oncoming traffic in the other lane. If the other lane is clear and there is no yellow line I maintain my position on the road. A triple trailer logging truck was coming from my rear, the oncoming lane was clear and there was no yellow line or restricted visibility. The trucker blew his horn at me several times as though he expected me to get off the road before he got to me. I maintained my position on the road. He moved out to give me a minimum amount of clearance, when the center trailer was directly next to me he blew his horn and then started moving to the right. When I had literally inches left before getting hit I got off the road. He continued over and would have hit me if I hadn't gotten off!!! I was also stopped by a small town (Bokchito) police officer who told me that I should be riding against traffic!!! I told him he was wrong, but he was getting so agitated that I thought he was about to arrest me, so I rode on the opposite side until he moved on. I then went back to the proper side and continued riding through Bokchito. About 1/2 mile later he was off the side of the road and saw me. He watched me go by and never stopped me again. I think he checked the law after our confrontation and realized that I was correct!!!
Old 11-04-18, 01:22 PM
KraneXL

Originally Posted by baj2
I once had two high school kids in a car coming at me on a road with wide shoulders turn across the road and aim right at me, stop just short of the shoulder and the passenger threw their fast-food wrappers (wadded into a tight ball) at me. Must have been a poor athlete, missed by a wide margin. I did stop and pull out my phone, but only got a couple digits of the license plate so I didn't call 911. In retrospect the car was older and unique enough I probably should have called it in anyway.

But yeah, I've experience the swerves, shoulder-crowding, intentionally-timed horn blows and barking dogs hanging out windows, other debris thrown, cursing, having to explain the MN state law to drivers at stop lights, and why a "road" bike isn't riding on trails.

One of my favorites was a women having a complete melt-down, rolling down her car windows to scream at me because I was riding on the road and not the beat-up side walk. I kept passing her at every stop light, and she'd pass me back down the road, and I swear I could hear her screaming the whole way not just when she passed me. I probably should have been more afraid than I was, I started out really annoyed but just couldn't help laughing by the 3rd or 4th pass and her continued melt-down.

I've only been hit once, and it was pretty minor. I turned a corner onto a road with a bike lane and a really old man turned the corner right after me, accelerated until I was right on his rear quarter panel, then turned right into an apt complex parking lot right through me. I had one hand on his roof, one cleated shoe on his rear passenger door, and somehow steered my bike around the corner with him staying upright into the parking lot. By the time my heart stopped racing and I realized I wasn't dead he had disappeared.

And all of this has happened in the #1 bike-friendly state in the US (MN).
Hysterical women are dangerous. Never let anyone pass you more than once. If necessary, just wait and let them go about their business. It only take a minute or so.
Old 11-04-18, 01:28 PM
cazzooo

Bikes: Pedal Force ZX3

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Yes, I was doing a fondo out here in NoCal one morning, and a carload of drunk teenagers buzzed me and screamed "you bicycle ******" as they threw an empty beer can out the window. This was at about 8am on a Sunday morning. For some reason there is a segment of society that hold bicyclists in great disdain. I see it all the time. Of course these people are a minority, but it is a constant minority. Never seems to diminish.
Old 11-04-18, 01:54 PM
JoeyBike
20+mph Commuter

Bikes: Surly LHT, Surly Lowside, a folding bike, and a beater.

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 1422 Post(s)
Liked 315 Times in 210 Posts
LA Hwy 51 just south of Kentwood, LA heading North. (c.1988) my bud and I are cycling single file, far right, on a 2-lane highway with no shoulder. A "bronco/blazer" FWD starts laying on the horn far behind us. My buddy, who is always happy to find trouble, movers to the CENTER of our lane, basically stops while looking back at the vehicle. The vehicle swerves around him, still blowing the horn, and some kids inside were screaming curses at us as they went past.

About ten minutes later we roll into Kentwood and there at a grocery store is the white FWD with three of the kids in it (no driver). They saw us coming and all flattened out on the floor of the vehicle hiding from us. Hahahahahaha! Man, did we laugh. We did not stop.
Old 11-04-18, 02:42 PM
yukiinu

Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 12 Posts
Buzzing mostly done by angry drivers.

Yes, there are drivers/passengers of all kinds of motor vehicles who have come dangerously close to my bike at all speeds. Even had pickup truck slow to my speed and kept crowding me off the road, until the car behind him layed on it's horn, and then the jerk took off like a scared rabbit. It is not unusual for a semi-truck to come within 3 feet at high speed (it's air stream will blow you out and then suck you in, and blow you out), trucks are large vehicles and they cannot make fast changes of direction like a car in order to give a bike extra clearance as they pass it, so they maintain as straight a course on the road as possiable and by necessity come close to bikes, which some bikers take as intentional harassment. I've done 9,000 miles of loaded U.S. bicycle touring, stay as far to the right of (providing road surface and tire flattening debris allow me to) whatever lane I'm in, and can't remember any truckers harrasing or threatening me. I can remember some immature/adolescents in cars being jerks though.
As for angry drivers harassing/buzzing me, there have been some. But I noticed that after I wore bright orange hunter safety vest and covered my luggage with bright colors and used blinking lights (front and rear) during the day, which enabled drivers to see me from as far away and as soon as possible, the # of angry drivers went to zero. I think that is because if a driver (by his thinking) has all of a sudden come up on, what is a hard to see bicycle and he is frightened and has to respond quickly to move away from the bike, that that fear than turns to anger toward the biker. As I said, after I have made myself as visible as possible and so have given drivers coming up on me plenty of time to safely make room for me and his car, no driver has reacted angerly towards me. No horns, shouts, middle fingers etc.
Old 11-04-18, 03:00 PM
Marci

Bikes: My Day 6, Big Red.

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked 24 Times in 16 Posts
Thankfully I haven't had it happen to me, just one noisy teen in a truck making his car backfire next to me. But my friend on the night of Trumps win followed one of the riders home in their small blue truck and threw a bottle out the window at him, and then turn around and try to run him off the road. He had a Bernie sticker on his bike. Its dangerous enough to ride without yahoos trying to hurt us.
Old 11-04-18, 03:37 PM
Happy Feet

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 2236 Post(s)
Liked 1,313 Times in 706 Posts
Yes.
But I try not to dwell on bad things if I can help it.
For most of the worlds population life is hard and then you die.
Being able to tour across beautiful landscapes is a blessing.
Old 11-04-18, 04:46 PM
jpbkerz

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Yes, indeed,
I have been buzzed and hit by cars in
Austin, TX USA. Crazy place, but have
seen similar driving elsewhere. I can't
seem to get far enough out of the road
(to the right, usually) even up on side-
walks, but then a car came up on the walk--
Had I been 10 seconds further down it, I would
have been grease. Not sure what "told" me
to pause; I thought that I was just tired. I
sure woke up after that event.

--John K.--Austin, TX USA.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.