Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

2018! The “How was your commute?” thread!

Search
Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

2018! The “How was your commute?” thread!

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-18, 08:33 AM
Tundra_Man 
The Fat Guy In The Back

Bikes: '81 Panasonic Sport, '02 Giant Boulder SE, '08 Felt S32, '10 Diamondback Insight RS, '10 Windsor Clockwork, '15 Kestrel Evoke 3.0, '19 Salsa Mukluk

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 320 Post(s)
Liked 177 Times in 115 Posts
12°F but the wind was at 0 mph. Wind that calm is rarer than a Sasquatch sighting here in South Dakota.

I took a gamble and rode the hybrid without studs today, even though there's still plenty of ice on the pavement. For the most part I was able to just ride around the patches, but there were a few long sections where I had no choice but to cross the ice. I kept it upright, so all was good. My routes today have me going around 21 miles and I really didn't feel like fighting the winter bike that distance so I opted to take the risk. I figured that over 21 miles I'll save myself about 1/2 an hour of riding by taking the faster bike. Indeed, the first 8 mile stretch from home to our office was more than 10 minutes quicker on the hybrid.
Old 12-11-18, 08:46 AM
Darth Lefty 
Disco Infiltrator

Bikes: Stormchaser, Paramount, Tilt, Samba tandem

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 3126 Post(s)
Liked 2,105 Times in 1,369 Posts
Originally Posted by gtharv
I just bought a surly ogre for everyday 39 km work commute.. I love it. Despite heavy still very comfortable ride
That's a good bike. Welcome to the forum!
Genesis 49:16-17
Old 12-11-18, 09:11 AM
wphamilton

Bikes: Nashbar Road

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Quoted: 2934 Post(s)
Liked 341 Times in 228 Posts
Rolling by all the cars warming up in the parking lot, people all bundled up scraping ice off their windshields, gives me a guilty sort of satisfaction. Knowing that I'll be nice and warmed up in a couple of minutes, and they'll still be shivering and waiting on their heater.
Old 12-11-18, 11:18 AM
HardyWeinberg
GATC

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 464 Post(s)
Liked 49 Times in 27 Posts
Nice sunset last night while I stopped to fix a flat. Unfortunately, apparently did not clear the sharp object so the new tube was flat by the time I got home.

Old 12-11-18, 01:40 PM
Darth Lefty 
Disco Infiltrator

Last night was the Santa parade, presented by the PD and FD. It was supposed to be done with before I went home but as I rode into the neighborhood everyone was still waiting at the stop and my wife flagged me down. She was frazzled from minding a preschooler and two toddlers for an hour but fortunately the guest of honor soon arrived.

Last edited by Darth Lefty; 12-12-18 at 01:43 AM.
Old 12-12-18, 01:43 AM
Darth Lefty 
Disco Infiltrator

I can't get the image size tags to work in the bbcode
Genesis 49:16-17
Old 12-12-18, 07:54 AM
mgw4jc

Bikes: Cannondale Synapse, Trek 5000 TCT, Giant OCR

Mentioned: 43 Post(s)
Quoted: 255 Post(s)
Liked 22 Times in 18 Posts
I drove to work yesterday, but rode in this morning. Still some spots of ice here and there. I could generally see them in time to slow down or go around if needed. This thaw/freeze cycle will probably continue as we have highs at 50 and lows at or below freezing.

The snow from the weekend's storm is still covering most yards, but not the roads. And apparently the new Dollar General store on my route has automatic sprinklers. Yes, the sprinklers were watering the snow covered lawn. Hey, can't argue with corporate decisions I guess.
Old 12-12-18, 08:19 AM
Tundra_Man 
The Fat Guy In The Back

Bikes: '81 Panasonic Sport, '02 Giant Boulder SE, '08 Felt S32, '10 Diamondback Insight RS, '10 Windsor Clockwork, '15 Kestrel Evoke 3.0, '19 Salsa Mukluk

I must finally have my winter skin on. I rolled out of the driveway and down the street and thought to myself, "Wow, it sure is WARM this morning!" It was 31F. Warmest temp I've ridden in for a couple of weeks, but really it felt much more like 50 degrees even with the 10 mph head wind.

We had our monthly bicycle commuter breakfast this morning. There were 8 of us there. Unlike last month, only one person drove their car to the breakfast.
Old 12-12-18, 09:39 AM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 511 Post(s)
Quoted: 7348 Post(s)
Liked 2,462 Times in 1,433 Posts
@Tundra_Man, it's funny how we grow a winter skin. I wonder how that works. I'm impressed that you have so many bike commuters there. You are a hardy bunch, and I'm sure you're the toughest of them all.

Today might be my last ride into this job. The bureaucracy here is weird, and they have a weird way of terminating people. I have an appointment for Friday morning for being fired, so I'm on the job hunt again. Oh well. I sure am sad, and I feel defeated. I plan to put a lot of effort into my job search, but I also think it will help if I put in as many miles in as I can. When I ride, my focus improves.

Tomorrow's forecast calls for a mix of rain and snow, and I don't think I'll want to ride in it. And I may have a box or two to bring home from my office, so a bike may not make sense.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
Old 12-12-18, 04:04 PM
Tundra_Man 
The Fat Guy In The Back

@noglider : Actually, I don't think I'm the toughest of them all. I know some guys that ride a lot farther than me every day year round. Last winter a local news station contacted me about doing a segment about winter bicycle commuting. Then they met another rider here who lives in a small town 15 miles from the city limits, rides gravel every single day of the year to get to work, and hasn't missed a day in more than five years. They quickly lost interest in talking to me.

Last edited by Tundra_Man; 12-12-18 at 04:08 PM.
Old 12-12-18, 04:26 PM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

I saw your video before you edited it out. That's a big flock of geese! Lucky they flew away. Sometimes they just stand their ground!

You can always find someone stronger or tougher than you, but you definitely rank up there. And so do I, compared with average people who don't ride 100 miles a year. I'm going to hit 2,900 or 3,000 miles this year. Some ride much more.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Old 12-12-18, 05:11 PM
Tundra_Man 
The Fat Guy In The Back

Originally Posted by noglider
I saw your video before you edited it out. That's a big flock of geese! Lucky they flew away. Sometimes they just stand their ground!

You can always find someone stronger or tougher than you, but you definitely rank up there. And so do I, compared with average people who don't ride 100 miles a year. I'm going to hit 2,900 or 3,000 miles this year. Some ride much more.
I think I'm going to come in just a few miles short of 3k this year. Probably would have broken 3k but I'm off the last week of December to take my wife to see her family.

For some reason the link for that video stopped showing up a couple of minutes after I posted it. I'll try it again. This is a a flock of geese a friend of mine here in town encountered during his ride to work this morning: (Edit: Ugh. It's doing it again. I can see the link when I'm editing the post, but as soon as I save it the link goes away.)

A Really Big Flock Of Geese " data-width="500" data-show-text="true" data-lazy="true">
A Really Big Flock Of Geese " class="fb-xfbml-parse-ignore">Facebook Post
Old 12-13-18, 07:34 AM
essiemyra

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked 143 Times in 87 Posts
It was another pleasant commute this morning with the temp at 12f degrees. The skies were dark and I saw another rider this morning at 5:30 am heading in the other direction. We greeted each other. I typically do not see other riders.
Old 12-13-18, 07:42 AM
mgw4jc

@noglider - bummer about the job. You had a good commute going there. Hopefully something will turn up soon.

Coworkers and local friends think I'm brave and tough for riding to work here in North Carolina. I think if they saw the conditions @Tundra_Man and even anyone north of the Ohio river rode in their minds would be blown. Right at freezing to start this morning, but warmed up a few degrees by the time I got to the office. Highs in the low 50s.

Busy next few days around my house. Mother-in-law flew in last night and my parents arrive today. All are here to see both my daughters in their winter dance performance on Sunday. Tis the season!
Old 12-13-18, 08:16 AM
pdlamb

Bikes: Fuji Touring, Novara Randonee

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 2603 Post(s)
Liked 1,925 Times in 1,208 Posts
It was a beautiful day for a ride yesterday morning, but I was driving. Great way to ruin a day.

This morning wasn't bad, normal cool weather but not freezing, but I missed yesterday's sunshine as it's overcast today. What's the fancy term for not getting to see enough sunlight? I suffer from that -- although it's nowhere near as bad here as it is further north, just two days of sunshine this week.
Old 12-13-18, 08:29 AM
Tundra_Man 
The Fat Guy In The Back

Today was a day when I'm thankful I have a flexible job situation. I originally had planned to ride to our office in the morning, ride to a client location over lunch and then ride home after work for a total of about 21 miles.

I got up this morning early so I could ride to our office. I was feeling particularly tired today. I checked the weather and they cautioned drivers that there was some freezing drizzle that was making the roads slick. That meant I should probably ride the winter bike with studded tires rather than my hybrid which I was originally planning on using today.

I really didn't feel motivated to fight the winter bike for 21 miles, especially over lunch when the wind is supposed to get strong and I would have to ride straight into it to get to the client's location. I didn't have a particular need to go to our office this morning, I just try to show up a couple of times a week so my coworkers there remember what I look like. Nobody was counting on me physically being there.

I opted to just ride straight to the client's office. This would shorten the day's commute down to 8 miles, and I wouldn't have to fight the wind over lunch. Because of the amended plans I found myself with 45 minutes extra time this morning so me and the cat took a nap in my recliner during that time.
Old 12-13-18, 09:06 AM
arsprod 

Bikes: Fairdale Weekender Drop, Motobecane 29LTD, Cannondale H400, Basso Coral

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 183 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 14 Posts
My first ride after last week's bicycle/car meeting - still sore but felt great to be back on the bike! Doesn't hurt that it's relatively warm, 34F
Old 12-13-18, 10:44 AM
RidingMatthew
Let's Ride!

Bikes: --2010 Jamis 650b1-- 2016 Cervelo R2-- 2018 Salsa Journeyman 650B

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 327 Post(s)
Liked 37 Times in 24 Posts
i have driven all week because of the snow piled on the sides of the road. my wife is nervous about me riding with no place to bail. It is supposed to rain 1.42" tomorrow. this weather is terrible this year. WET WET WET.
I am over it.

a full size van behind that pile of snow
Old 12-13-18, 11:00 AM
HardyWeinberg
GATC

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 464 Post(s)
Liked 49 Times in 27 Posts
45F, intermittent showers
Old 12-13-18, 12:13 PM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

I was cautious today and took the subway to work instead of riding. The snow was coming down lightly during my commute. After I got to work, it was coming down heavily, but it's still warmish here, and it didn't stick. It's now raining. I could have ridden. Oh well, no big deal.

I believe tomorrow is my last day at the job, but I haven't received official word yet.

Old 12-13-18, 01:07 PM
wphamilton

Someone else's bike parked in "my" spot at the rack this morning. After my fleeting indignation subsided I thought, "at least it's a good looking bike".

Single speed, like mine. Black, like ... wait a minute, it's exactly like my bike!. Same brand, model, color, wheels, size, only brand new. In my spot. You'd probably suspect"copycat" but honestly I think sheer strange coincidence.
Old 12-13-18, 03:20 PM
pdlamb

Bikes: Fuji Touring, Novara Randonee

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 2603 Post(s)
Liked 1,925 Times in 1,208 Posts
Originally Posted by wphamilton
Someone else's bike parked in "my" spot at the rack this morning. After my fleeting indignation subsided I thought, "at least it's a good looking bike".

Single speed, like mine. Black, like ... wait a minute, it's exactly like my bike!. Same brand, model, color, wheels, size, only brand new. In my spot. You'd probably suspect"copycat" but honestly I think sheer strange coincidence.
You didn't forget and take alternate transportation home last night and rode the spare bike in this morning?
Old 12-13-18, 03:40 PM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Originally Posted by pdlamb
You didn't forget and take alternate transportation home last night and rode the spare bike in this morning?
My bike was stolen off my porch (when I lived in NJ). Months later, I saw it locked up at the train station. It turns out it wasn't stolen. I rode it to the station, took the train to the city, and got a ride back to the house and forgot about the bike at the train station. Duh!

Old 12-13-18, 06:32 PM
wphamilton

Originally Posted by pdlamb
After looking at it more closely, not exactly like my bike after all (whew). He's changed his handlebars, no logos, and the brakes are different. So close enough to be a weird coincidence, but not that weird.
Old 12-14-18, 07:31 AM
mgw4jc

Bailed on the ride this morning. 40F or just under and rain. Light rain but enough it would have been pretty cold an wet. Supposed to warm up a bit, but rain all day. Probably going to take off early to get the busy weekend underway.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.