Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Nexus Inter-8 IGH Coasting Fault

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-19, 10:32 PM
paulb_in_bkln

Bikes: 1983 Trek 600, 1972 Raleigh Sports Step Thru, 1963 Rudge Sports, 2007 Dahon MuP8, Dahon Speed, Public Mixte 8-speed IGH, mid-70s Peugeot Mixte AW conversion, Riv Platypus

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 350 Post(s)
Liked 24 Times in 17 Posts

Last year I came across a website that panicked me into deciding to open, clean, and relube my five-year-old Nexus Inter-8. It had pictures of hubs with horrible internal damage caused by careless owners. So I watched videos and bought a tube of Shimano's runny white grease and opened the hub and actually it was just fine. There was plenty of grease, no dirt, no rust, no contamination, no damage. But I removed the circlip/snap ring, separated the two halves, cleaned it all off, regreased, and then re-assembled it. But for my problems with the old cable housing and the improperly installed (by a bike shop) new cable described in another thread, the hub seemed to be working fine. Basically it works just like it did before. EXCEPT: there's a lot of drag now when the hub is coasting, that is, dragging the pedals around. It's slight in first gear and then gets more pronounced with each higher gear. In 8th gear the pedals get carried around firmly enough to give one quite a whack. Did I overtighten one of the bearings? I don't feel like I did. Could there be another cause?
Old 02-17-19, 07:02 AM
Dan Burkhart 

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 942 Post(s)
Liked 656 Times in 370 Posts
Originally Posted by paulb_in_bkln
Last year I came across a website that panicked me into deciding to open, clean, and relube my five-year-old Nexus Inter-8. It had pictures of hubs with horrible internal damage caused by careless owners. So I watched videos and bought a tube of Shimano's runny white grease and opened the hub and actually it was just fine. There was plenty of grease, no dirt, no rust, no contamination, no damage. But I removed the circlip/snap ring, separated the two halves, cleaned it all off, regreased, and then re-assembled it. But for my problems with the old cable housing and the improperly installed (by a bike shop) new cable described in another thread, the hub seemed to be working fine. Basically it works just like it did before. EXCEPT: there's a lot of drag now when the hub is coasting, that is, dragging the pedals around. It's slight in first gear and then gets more pronounced with each higher gear. In 8th gear the pedals get carried around firmly enough to give one quite a whack. Did I overtighten one of the bearings? I don't feel like I did. Could there be another cause?
Sounds more like friction between the cog and dust cover.While it's possible to remove the internals with the cog still on the driver, it's better to remove it so you can ensure everything is fully snapped into place when you're putting it back together. An improperly seated dust cover can cause exactly what you describe.
Old 02-17-19, 08:29 AM
paulb_in_bkln

Bikes: 1983 Trek 600, 1972 Raleigh Sports Step Thru, 1963 Rudge Sports, 2007 Dahon MuP8, Dahon Speed, Public Mixte 8-speed IGH, mid-70s Peugeot Mixte AW conversion, Riv Platypus

Originally Posted by Dan Burkhart
Sounds more like friction between the cog and dust cover.While it's possible to remove the internals with the cog still on the driver, it's better to remove it so you can ensure everything is fully snapped into place when you're putting it back together. An improperly seated dust cover can cause exactly what you describe.
Thanks! I will check it again. It seemed like I had it seated correctly, but maybe not.
Old 02-17-19, 11:38 AM
paulb_in_bkln

I think you're right that the dust cap is not seating properly. Is that visible in the photo? But that's the best I can do. I just removed everything, sprocket included (yet again). The hub internals seem (I say, "seem") fully seated in the hub shell. But the cap will not go down any further, even with some tapping from a hammer. When I re-joined the two sections of the hub's internals, could I somehow not have fully seated those? But the circlip is in place. If the two halves weren't perfectly joined, would the gears work at all? Incidentally, the dust cap has its own removable seal which has a flat side and a grooved side. I've lost track which side should face where. Anyone remember? Hard to tell from Shimano's PDF but it looks as if the groove is supposed to face in toward the hub. Not sure, though.
Old 02-17-19, 08:43 PM
sweeks

Bikes: Airborne "Carpe Diem", Motobecane "Mirage", Trek 6000, Strida 2, Dahon "Helios XL", Dahon "Mu XL", Tern "Verge S11i"

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 980 Post(s)
Liked 580 Times in 398 Posts
Originally Posted by paulb_in_bkln
Incidentally, the dust cap has its own removable seal which has a flat side and a grooved side. I've lost track which side should face where. Anyone remember? Hard to tell from Shimano's PDF but it looks as if the groove is supposed to face in toward the hub. Not sure, though.
It's been a couple years since I had mine apart, but I believe you're right.
Old 02-21-19, 09:01 AM
paulb_in_bkln

Almost ready to drop this thing in the Hudson River. (I won't really do that.) I did discover my own bonehead error; when I re-joined the two halves of the hub mechanism I reversed the big bearing retainer. I've corrected that. Experimentally, I put the hub together without the dust cover and put it on the bike. That seemed to eradicate the noise and coasting friction. But with the cover on, it's still there, though I think less than when the bearing retainer was on wrong. (That is not surprising.) I guess the last resort is to bring the thing to a Shimano Service Center and ask them to go over my work and find out what, if anything, I've done incorrectly. Picture shows my error. Part #7 , I had it reversed.