Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Specialized dropping women road specific designs

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Specialized dropping women road specific designs

Old 05-04-19, 01:56 PM
7up

Bikes: Aurelia*Bianchi*Cannondale*Colnago*Dahon*Giant*Haro*Lynsky*Monkey Faction*Origin8*Panasonic*Paramont*Peugeot*Ross*Schwinn*SE*Specialized*Trek

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Liked 26 Times in 18 Posts
This was done with cars in the 80’s.It was stated that the boxy look looked too manly.Manufacturers then switched up the look to more flowing round body lines.Those were the years GM cars started looking more alike.I still can not for the life of me pick out woman’s from men’s saddles and the top bars used to be the only giveaway to what sex the bike was for.

Last edited by 7up; 05-04-19 at 02:02 PM.
Old 05-04-19, 06:15 PM
Kent T

Bikes: 2002 Trek 800 Singletrack, 1982 Bridgestone Spica

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked 41 Times in 32 Posts
Originally Posted by CliffordK
Mixte and Step Through bikes. There were some quality ones, and many with drop bars.
And I see the Mixte, as a universal, easily accessible frame design for all. My next bike most likely will be a Mixte for functional reasons. Do agree with earlier commentary about Specialized dropping the smaller frame sizes. Shorter people and people with unusual built ride and need bikes too. I agree with the statement, that Specialized needs to offer a bike model or two in smaller sizes, in colors which are universally liked by men and women, as a practical alternative.
Old 05-05-19, 02:24 PM
Korina
Happy banana slug

Location: Arcata, California, U.S., North America, Earth, Saggitarius Arm, Milky Way

Bikes: 1984 Araya MB 261, 1992 Specialized Rockhopper Sport, 1993 Hard Rock Ultra, 1994 Trek Multitrack 750, 1995 Trek Singletrack 930

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 1530 Post(s)
Liked 1,527 Times in 915 Posts
Originally Posted by a1penguin
With sloping top tubes, stand over is less of an issue for finding a proper fitting bike. Women typically have smaller hands and brake reach and drop bar curl might also be problematic. Shops will often swap the stem at no charge, but no one wants to purchase a bike and then have to replace a lot of the parts. I suspect that these are more of a problem for people who fit the very small frame sizes, like 48s.

I am so tired of the mostly women's colors when trying to find cycling clothing to purchase. I don't want pink or aqua and I do not want flower patterns on my clothing. Often there is no high viz green/yellow in women's jerseys. While i don't see non-women specific bikes being much of a problem, it matters a lot with it comes to clothing.
I don't see 48 as 'very small', as I'm 5' 4", average height for a woman, and I ride ~48. If you're going by men's sizes, then yes, it is pretty small. That's what I like about Surly bikes; all their smaller frames are designed for smaller wheels, usually 650b. And yes, my brake levers are pretty far out, but I plan on wearing them out before swapping for something smaller.

My refurbished old skool steel mtb has 26" wheels, and it's a flippin' revelation. My hybrid with 700c wheels fits fine, but the mtb feels proportional, and is a delight to ride. Fortunately I had it set up as a road bike with big supple cruiser tires, so I rarely have to get off. What surprises me is that I'm just as fast as on my hybrid. It's also lighter, '90s steel vs. modern aluminum. Go figure.

And I feel ya about women's cycling clothes; I prefer plain hi viz as patterns tend to act like camouflage to break up your outline. I discovered that men's tech tees, while not stylish, work great at a fraction of the cost.
Old 05-08-19, 05:03 PM
StanSeven
Administrator

Bikes: Cervelo C5, Guru Photon, Waterford, Specialized CX

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1104 Post(s)
Liked 2,167 Times in 1,459 Posts
Ok, several posts were deleted as off topic. Miata’s are a long stretch on what this thread is about. Plus it drifted towards insults.

Thanks in advance for getting it back back in line.

Stan
Old 05-08-19, 08:50 PM
ColonelSanders
Banned.

Bikes: 2017 Surly Troll with XT Drive Train, 2017 Merida Big Nine XT Edition, 2016 Giant Toughroad SLR 2, 1995 Trek 830

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 1916 Post(s)
Liked 310 Times in 218 Posts
Originally Posted by bbbean
Repeating and simplifying: "men" and "women" don't buy or ride bikes. Individual riders buy and ride bikes.

Question : What kind of bike do you have?

Man : It is a Specialized Roubaix with the frame being made from FACT11R carbon.

Woman : A blue bike.
Old 05-09-19, 06:57 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,095 Times in 5,053 Posts
Originally Posted by ColonelSanders
Question : What kind of bike do you have?

Man : It is a Specialized Roubaix with the frame being made from FACT11R carbon.

Woman : A blue bike.
Can we have a "dislike" button now?
Likes For livedarklions:
Old 05-09-19, 07:03 AM
DrIsotope
Non omnino gravis

Bikes: Nekobasu, Pandicorn, Lakitu

Mentioned: 119 Post(s)
Quoted: 4905 Post(s)
Liked 1,731 Times in 958 Posts
For me, the sexism is slightly less offensive than someone (of any gender) who would tell me what kind of carbon their bike is made of.

While she might not have all of the minutiae, my wife absolutely knows the make and model of her bike, the sizing, the gearing, etc. Perhaps the difference between an enthusiast and a participant.
Old 05-09-19, 08:57 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Originally Posted by DrIsotope
For me, the sexism is slightly less offensive than someone (of any gender) who would tell me what kind of carbon their bike is made of.
LOL.

I hadn't thought of it that way--maybe this was actually a "men are snobby jerks" post. I can take personal offense then.
Old 05-09-19, 08:59 AM
Trsnrtr
Super Modest

Bikes: Trek Emonda, Giant Propel, Colnago V3, Co-Motion Supremo, ICE VTX WC

Mentioned: 107 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10954 Post(s)
Liked 4,609 Times in 2,115 Posts
Originally Posted by DrIsotope

While she might not have all of the minutiae, my wife absolutely knows the make and model of her bike, the sizing, the gearing, etc. Perhaps the difference between an enthusiast and a participant.
Same with my wife. She's an accomplished cyclist of 37 years, rides thousands of miles a year, ex Cat 3 racer, ex USPRO official, and she definitely knows what she wants to ride and what bike to buy.

For the record, she's currently riding a Specialized Amira.

Old 05-09-19, 09:00 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Originally Posted by KraneXL
On the road I see men cyclist, and men riding bikes every day. Women riding bikes? Zero. Women cyclists? Only on the MUPs.

I'm sure there are enclaves where the portion is bigger, but certainly not a major economic segment.
Would all of New England count as an "enclave"? Because I see lots of women riders on the roads, and have biked in all of the NE states.

And what makes you think MUP-riding women don't buy lots of bikes? Silly point.
Old 05-09-19, 09:07 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Originally Posted by Trsnrtr
Same with my wife. She's an accomplished cyclist of 37 years, rides thousands of miles a year, ex Cat 3 racer, ex USPRO official, and she definitely knows what she wants to ride and what bike to buy.

For the record, she's currently riding a Specialized Amira.
I thought it was rather ironic that the "blue one" joke appeared in a thread where several women posted knowledgeable information about their bikes and their buying process.
Old 05-09-19, 06:08 PM
ColonelSanders
Banned.

Bikes: 2017 Surly Troll with XT Drive Train, 2017 Merida Big Nine XT Edition, 2016 Giant Toughroad SLR 2, 1995 Trek 830

Originally Posted by livedarklions
I thought it was rather ironic that the "blue one" joke appeared in a thread where several women posted knowledgeable information about their bikes and their buying process.
It stands to reason that the women in this thread would be a lot more serious about their cycling than most women who are recreational cyclists.

Last year I was conversing with a female friend online and she told me how she had bought a new bike and when I asked her what kind of bike it was, she told me that it was a "Yellow one".

When I pressed further, she still couldn't tell me what the model was and only when she sent me a picture of it, was I able to determine it was a Kona Coco and then I was able to look up the specs for it.
Old 05-09-19, 10:29 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

It stands to reason that the women in this thread would be a lot more serious about their cycling than most women who are recreational cyclists.

Last year I was conversing with a female friend online and she told me how she had bought a new bike and when I asked her what kind of bike it was, she told me that it was a "Yellow one".

When I pressed further, she still couldn't tell me what the model was and only when she sent me a picture of it, was I able to determine it was a Kona Coco and then I was able to look up the specs for it.
It stands to reason that she had approximately the same knowledge of bikes as the average man.

I hate to break it to you but most men who are "recreational cyclists" wouldn't know the difference between a carbon fork and a plastic spoon. Congratulations on basing your stereotype on one conversation.
Likes For livedarklions:
Old 05-10-19, 12:01 AM
ColonelSanders
Banned.

It stands to reason that she had approximately the same knowledge of bikes as the average man.

I hate to break it to you but most men who are "recreational cyclists" wouldn't know the difference between a carbon fork and a plastic spoon. Congratulations on basing your stereotype on one conversation.

It wasn't based on one conversation.

Keep denying reality, I'm sure that will work out real well for you in the long run.
Old 05-10-19, 12:26 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

It wasn't based on one conversation.

Keep denying reality, I'm sure that will work out real well for you in the long run.
What reality am I denying? Do you really think men can generally identify types of carbon? Hilarious.
Old 05-10-19, 12:30 AM
ColonelSanders
Banned.

What reality am I denying? Do you really think men can generally identify types of carbon? Hilarious.
Yeah, men can ascertain carbon types by smell alone.

The point behind my posts were to say in a roundabout way, that some products should not be marketed to men and women in the same way, if you want maximum success.

I believe bikes to be such a product.
Old 05-10-19, 05:32 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Yeah, men can ascertain carbon types by smell alone.

The point behind my posts were to say in a roundabout way, that some products should not be marketed to men and women in the same way, if you want maximum success.

I believe bikes to be such a product.
If that's the point you were making, you should probably choose a different roundabout. You sounded like "that uncle" when he's had a few at the family gathering.

That's a really superficial analysis, and misses a lot. Specialized isn't giving up on marketing to women, they just aren't going to have separate product lines for them. Much advertising for products that aren't differentiated by sex is targeted to appeal to one sex or the other, so that's nothing unusual. But I think you and the "difference" you pointed to in your joke are just wrong about how the advertising should vary.

In case you don't realize it, the vast majority of new bikes sold only cost a few hundred dollars or less. These aren't generally being marketed to people knowledgeable about bikes, male or female. To the extent there is marketing for these, it will say something like "blah, blah, blah, sturdy lightweight aluminum frame, blah blah blah Shimano parts."

Advertising for bicycles is almost all marketing higher priced bicycles. "Recreational cyclists" who don't know more about bikes than color generally don't buy higher priced bikes, and the more expensive the bike is, the truer that statement is likely to be. People who are willing to spend $1000 or more on bicycles is a small minority of the population, male or female. You can lose sight of that hanging out on this forum and with other bicyclists. If you try to market to such people of either gender by deemphasizing tech specs and promoting things like color, your advertising is bound to fail.
Likes For livedarklions:
Old 05-10-19, 07:31 AM
NomarsGirl

Bikes: Specialized Ruby Sport

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 318 Post(s)
Liked 314 Times in 165 Posts
There are plenty of men who are recreational cyclists who also could not tell you much about their bikes beyond the color. Some people take their cycling seriously and do their homework to find the best bike for them that they can afford. Others just pick up a Wally World bike and ride. And some are in between. They buy from the LBS, but still don't really know much other than whatever the sales person emphasized. For example, my husband knows he has disk brakes. He couldn't tell you whether they are hydraulic or mechanical, what chainrings and cassettes he has or how wide his tires are. He knows he has presta valves (but can't remember that name) only because we had to buy a new pump.
Old 05-10-19, 08:08 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Originally Posted by NomarsGirl
There are plenty of men who are recreational cyclists who also could not tell you much about their bikes beyond the color. Some people take their cycling seriously and do their homework to find the best bike for them that they can afford. Others just pick up a Wally World bike and ride. And some are in between. They buy from the LBS, but still don't really know much other than whatever the sales person emphasized. For example, my husband knows he has disk brakes. He couldn't tell you whether they are hydraulic or mechanical, what chainrings and cassettes he has or how wide his tires are. He knows he has presta valves (but can't remember that name) only because we had to buy a new pump.
I bought my son a Specialized Roll Sport. He rides it happily around campus and it is his go-to transportation. I would bet money he couldn't tell me what kind of derailleurs are on there without googling it or peeking at the bike. I don't think he's atypical of the average light commuter in this regard.
Old 05-13-19, 10:41 AM
Korina
Happy banana slug

Location: Arcata, California, U.S., North America, Earth, Saggitarius Arm, Milky Way

Bikes: 1984 Araya MB 261, 1992 Specialized Rockhopper Sport, 1993 Hard Rock Ultra, 1994 Trek Multitrack 750, 1995 Trek Singletrack 930

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 1530 Post(s)
Liked 1,527 Times in 915 Posts
I'm kind of in-between; I know what brands my bikes are and what they're best at, but if you start talking gear ratios and cassettes my eyes glaze over and I blurt out 'Make it go!' Not that this has ever happened every time the husbeast and I start talking upgrades for my bikes.
Old 05-13-19, 10:51 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Originally Posted by Korina
I'm kind of in-between; I know what brands my bikes are and what they're best at, but if you start talking gear ratios and cassettes my eyes glaze over and I blurt out 'Make it go!' Not that this has ever happened every time the husbeast and I start talking upgrades for my bikes.

Gear ratios and cassettes I can talk about forever, but if you get to "stiffness", "flexibility" and bottom bracket height, I want to puncture my eardrums and never hear another word.
Likes For livedarklions:
Old 05-13-19, 10:55 AM
PepeM

Mentioned: 180 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2739 Post(s)
Liked 119 Times in 59 Posts
Likes For PepeM:
Old 05-13-19, 12:06 PM
KraneXL

Bikes: Cannondale Quick SL1 Bike - 2014

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quoted: 3405 Post(s)
Liked 240 Times in 185 Posts
Originally Posted by PepeM
Funny should mention math. It reminds me of the little story related to the male/female controversy. Like a lot of students, math was my most feared subject. When I took it I knew it was going to be difficult so I resolve to go to the lab everyday if I had to. When I'd go there was typically several tutors available. I remember this one instance where I had a problem and needed help to solve it.

The tutor looked at the problem then solve it for me while rapidly speeding through the steps (which took about 2 minutes) and sent me on my way. Meanwhile, the girl from another table asked him for help with a problem and got a slow paced step-by-step explanation of how to solve the problem. When she still looked bewildered, he went over the steps a second time and didn't leave her table until she gave him the OK that she completely understood. He must have spent a good 20 minutes on that one problem.

Women (for obvious reasons) get hands on care whether they ask for it or not. In this lab, there were no female tutors ever, even though women outnumber males in college. The only female working in the math lab was the receptionist who wasn't even a math major.
Old 05-13-19, 12:14 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Originally Posted by KraneXL
Funny should mention math. It reminds me of the little story related to the male/female controversy. Like a lot of students, math was my most feared subject. When I took it I knew it was going to be difficult so I resolve to go to the lab everyday if I had to. When I'd go there was typically several tutors available. I remember this one instance where I ha a problem and needed help.

The tutor looked at the problem then solve it for me while rapidly speeding through the steps (which took about 2 minutes) and sent me on my way. Meanwhile, the girl from another table asked him for help with a problem and got a slow paced step-by-step explanation of how to solve the problem. When she still looked bewildered, he went over the steps a second time and didn't leave her table until she gave him the OK that she completely understood. He must have spent a good 20 minutes on that one problem.

Women (for obvious reasons) get hands on care whether they ask for it or not. In this lab, there were no female tutors ever, even though women outnumber males in college. The only female working in the math lab was the receptionist who wasn't even a math major.
OMFG! My sister is a full professor in math ed. at a good university. She can give you story after story about STEM professors who were clearly uncomfortable working with women when she was a grad student, and would try to avoid it like the plague.

Things may or may not be turning around these days, but historically, women in the STEM fields have had to continually face discrimination and discouragement from men who have stereotyped them as inherently "less capable."
Old 05-13-19, 01:52 PM
Siu Blue Wind
Homey

Mentioned: 56 Post(s)
Quoted: 2425 Post(s)
Liked 1,399 Times in 894 Posts
Maybe we should move this to another part of the forum?
Please dont outsmart the censor. That is a very expensive censor and every time one of you guys outsmart it it makes someone at the home office feel bad. We dont wanna do that. So dont cleverly disguise bad words.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.