Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Hybrid Bicycles
Reload this Page >

Post pictures of your Hybrid

Notices
Hybrid Bicycles Where else would you go to discuss these fun, versatile bikes?

Post pictures of your Hybrid

Old 05-14-19, 11:05 PM
ColonelSanders
Banned.

Bikes: 2017 Surly Troll with XT Drive Train, 2017 Merida Big Nine XT Edition, 2016 Giant Toughroad SLR 2, 1995 Trek 830

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1916 Post(s)
Liked 310 Times in 218 Posts
Originally Posted by Jac of Hearts
After further research I think you are right. It does not have the iso-zone frame, it has nebula wheels and a Shimano Octalink Crank. And I think the color is described as Matte Black Titanite. So it looks as though it's a 2012. After reading I'm glad not to have the isozone frame.

However coming off a 2009 Mako I'm still thrilled with my purchase. It rides and looks great and I am happy with the $$$ I paid.

Thanks for the info and I fixed the original post.
I certainly wasn't trying to rain on your parade or anything like that, it's just that I was looking very hard at getting a Trek DS 8.5 a few years ago, so became very familiar with the models on offer.

I think I made a mistake in not getting one myself, as everything I have heard suggests they are pretty good.
Old 05-14-19, 11:30 PM
Jac of Hearts

Bikes: 2012 Trek Dual Sport 8.5 Gary Fisher Collection

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked 77 Times in 46 Posts
Originally Posted by ColonelSanders
I certainly wasn't trying to rain on your parade or anything like that, it's just that I was looking very hard at getting a Trek DS 8.5 a few years ago, so became very familiar with the models on offer.

I think I made a mistake in not getting one myself, as everything I have heard suggests they are pretty good.
I was not offended, well maybe a little at 1st, but I'm very glad I found this one. I think the DS is going to be a very good bike for my riding style.
Old 05-17-19, 04:54 AM
giantcfr1
Ha ha ha ha ha

Bikes: 2004 ORBEA Mitis2 Plus Carbon, 2007 Cannondale Bad Boy Si Disc, 2012 Trek Gary Fisher Collection Marlin WSD 29er Aldi Big Box (Polygon) 650b

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 7 Posts

Still the same after all these years

Still the same after all these years
Likes For giantcfr1:
Old 05-22-19, 09:45 PM
t_e_r_r_y

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked 76 Times in 44 Posts
can i even still call this a hybrid? i don't know

2011 sirrus elite disc
Old 05-23-19, 05:14 AM
giantcfr1
Ha ha ha ha ha

Bikes: 2004 ORBEA Mitis2 Plus Carbon, 2007 Cannondale Bad Boy Si Disc, 2012 Trek Gary Fisher Collection Marlin WSD 29er Aldi Big Box (Polygon) 650b

Liked 11 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by t_e_r_r_y

2011 sirrus elite disc
Looks like one to me. A mixture of a bit of this, a bit of that...Hybrid.
Old 05-23-19, 06:12 AM
nuxx 

Bikes: S-Works Tarmac SL6, Custom Carbon Flatbar, Giant XTC Composite 29er, Trek FX 7.6

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked 42 Times in 18 Posts
Well @t_e_r_r_y the Sirrus series are hybrid geometry frames to begin with, you got platform pedals on there... no front-derailleur and a fairly upright riding position (dat lift on your dropbar)... yeah definitely not a racer so if not a hybrid then I dunno what to call it

If yours didn't qualify I don't know that mine would either.
Likes For nuxx:
Old 05-23-19, 12:47 PM
t_e_r_r_y

yeah, i'm still playing with the bar height/reach. switching from a flat bar has been taking me some messing around to find what's comfortable. i've lowered it some since the picture, but the bars are still pretty high.

what's funny about this bike is that i've lusted after a crust evasion for years, but i'd never be able to swing one. i got this sirrus cheap and have been replacing worn out parts/upgrading it as i've been riding it. i put both the sirrus and evasion into bikeinsites.com and they have almost identical geometry - especially if i were to put 43 width tires on this, which is the plan.

geometry comparison -
https://i.imgur.com/SRkAvpl.png
https://i.imgur.com/j1HHnEZ.png

i basically ended up with the geometry i've always wanted wanted by accident, though the aluminum sirrus will never ride as nice as the steel evasion would. the long carbon seat post makes up for some of that, and the high volume tires will help too once i get those.
Old 05-27-19, 09:16 AM
camjr

Bikes: 1976 Motobecane Grand Touring, 2013 Fuji Absolute 2.1 hybrid, 2000 Mongoose S2000 MTB, 2009 Schwinn Jaguar beach cruiser

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked 193 Times in 99 Posts

My 2013 Fuji Absolute 2.1 in the pre-dawn hours before I jumped on to ride this morning. 2100 miles on the original tires (finally getting to the point of being replaced), new pedals and cages a couple of years ago, Ergon GP2 grips and bar ends, better illumination, Avenir bar bag and Transit saddle bag. Still a fast, smooth ride.
Likes For camjr:
Old 05-28-19, 09:38 AM
Sceadu498

Bikes: Lemond Alpe d'Huez, Trek 6000, Built up a Carbon Raod Bike with a Wiel Frameset, Diamondback Insight

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 4 Posts
Here is a pic of my Diamondback Insight 1 along the Rock River in Illinois.
Likes For Sceadu498:
Old 05-29-19, 07:25 AM
StuBerger

Bikes: Trek FXS5

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Here’s my FXS5

Here’s my thing on 2
Attached Images
Likes For StuBerger:
Old 05-29-19, 06:21 PM
nuxx 

Bikes: S-Works Tarmac SL6, Custom Carbon Flatbar, Giant XTC Composite 29er, Trek FX 7.6

@StuBerger - that looks like a very comfortable and efficient ride - I've been wondering - how well does that IsoSpeed decoupler thing actually work in praxis? Neither my Madone road bike nor FX 7.6 have that feature.
Old 05-30-19, 10:24 AM
fat2fit

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 12 Posts

2019 Trek Dual-Sport 2

2019 Trek Dual-Sport 2
Likes For fat2fit:
Old 05-30-19, 02:29 PM
hokiefyd 

Bikes: More bikes than riders

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 1443 Post(s)
Liked 759 Times in 568 Posts
Great-lookin' bike, and scenery!
Likes For hokiefyd:
Old 05-31-19, 09:24 AM
subgrade

Bikes: Focus Crater Lake

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 391 Post(s)
Liked 336 Times in 204 Posts
Originally Posted by t_e_r_r_y

2011 sirrus elite disc
In today's world that would be called a gravel bike (which per se is a hybrid, of course)
Likes For subgrade:
Old 05-31-19, 12:57 PM
t_e_r_r_y

Originally Posted by subgrade
In today's world that would be called a gravel bike (which per se is a hybrid, of course)
it does see 30/70 off/on road, so i guess that makes sense. i really need to get some higher volume tires to help with that off road aluminum frame harshness though.
Old 06-02-19, 11:30 AM
SD70

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by subgrade
What brand of platforms are you running on that Specialized? How do you like them? I'm thinking of going platform myself.
Old 06-02-19, 06:25 PM
nuxx 

Originally Posted by SD70
What brand of platforms are you running on that Specialized? How do you like them? I'm thinking of going platform myself.
Looks a lot like Race Face Chester pedals to me.
Old 06-03-19, 08:01 PM
VK_Rides84
NooBie

Bikes: Giant - Roam3

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Giant Roam 3

Here is my Hybrid/Family fun roller...
Likes For VK_Rides84:
Old 06-05-19, 07:08 AM
nuxx 

Originally Posted by VK_Rides84
Here is my Hybrid/Family fun roller...
Hmmm... this is in no way a critique, merely curious discussion; I appreciate that even Giant is marketing the Roam 3 as a hybrid'ish bike... but it's making me question how far it really is from my hardtail MTB; Giant XTC Composite 2 - the geometry looks quite similar, and I would definitely not categorise my XTC as hybrid by any means - even if it rides quite fast. I mean... you have 28" rims... shorter front suspension... and well... that's the main configurative difference? Yours even has MTB front and rear mech... what actually makes this not simply an entry level hardtail MTB regardless of Giant's marketing positioning?

"Side by side": https://images.giant-bicycles.com/b_...cGE_ColorA.jpg vs https://giantcdn-qu2qwwv2de7wv85rz.s...r_2_2000px.jpg

I incidentally rode mine to the office today... probably why I noticed :

Old 06-05-19, 08:08 AM
VK_Rides84
NooBie

Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
I agree greed with all your points I believe the Roam was made as a poor mtn bike, the front suspension is minimal and locks to be static on the road. The tired are ok for easy trail riding but still good quality road use.

I think “hybrid” is becoming a catch all for those bikes or are not specificity great at one thing but good/decent at all.

Not to say your mtn bike wouldn’t make a good commuter but I will say I don’t think the Roam is hitting any heavy trails.

Just my 2 cents.

Originally Posted by nuxx
Hmmm... this is in no way a critique, merely curious discussion; I appreciate that even Giant is marketing the Roam 3 as a hybrid'ish bike... but it's making me question how far it really is from my hardtail MTB; Giant XTC Composite 2 - the geometry looks quite similar, and I would definitely not categorise my XTC as hybrid by any means - even if it rides quite fast. I mean... you have 28" rims... shorter front suspension... and well... that's the main configurative difference? Yours even has MTB front and rear mech... what actually makes this not simply an entry level hardtail MTB regardless of Giant's marketing positioning?

"Side by side": https://images.giant-bicycles.com/b_...cGE_ColorA.jpg vs https://giantcdn-qu2qwwv2de7wv85rz.s...r_2_2000px.jpg

I incidentally rode mine to the office today... probably why I noticed :

Old 06-05-19, 08:30 AM
nuxx 

I agree greed with all your points I believe the Roam was made as a poor mtn bike, the front suspension is minimal and locks to be static on the road. The tired are ok for easy trail riding but still good quality road use.
Makes me wonder why you don't upgrade/replace it with a more efficient option - unless your commute includes gravel? But even then an actual cross bike might still be preferable?

I think “hybrid” is becoming a catch all for those bikes or are not specificity great at one thing but good/decent at all.
I think you're right... it certainly smells of advertising.

Not to say your mtn bike wouldn’t make a good commuter but I will say I don’t think the Roam is hitting any heavy trails.
Specifically the XTC is actually surprisingly comfortable even in an urban setting like my commute is - but that's largely thanks to its relative low weight composite frame, quality components and hardtail acceleration. Hence I sometimes pick it when I'm in a more casual mood over my ridiculously speedy urban hybrid build I've already posted here before:

Last edited by nuxx; 06-05-19 at 08:35 AM.
Old 06-05-19, 11:14 AM
VK_Rides84
NooBie

Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts

So I actually bought this for light use with my daughter as she starts riding, (she’s 3).

I actually wanted more of a road bike so I bought an actual road bike 4 weeks later (oops). I don’t plan on doing much trail riding.

Originally Posted by nuxx
Makes me wonder why you don't upgrade/replace it with a more efficient option - unless your commute includes gravel? But even then an actual cross bike might still be preferable?

I think you're right... it certainly smells of advertising.

Specifically the XTC is actually surprisingly comfortable even in an urban setting like my commute is - but that's largely thanks to its relative low weight composite frame, quality components and hardtail acceleration. Hence I sometimes pick it when I'm in a more casual mood over my ridiculously speedy urban hybrid build I've already posted here before:

Old 06-05-19, 12:17 PM
Orkun KnighTR34

Bikes: 2016 Kron TX 150

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 8 Posts
Was buffed and detailed recently. And new tires were installed.

Likes For Orkun KnighTR34:
Old 06-05-19, 03:54 PM
nuxx 

So I actually bought this for light use with my daughter as she starts riding, (she’s 3).

I actually wanted more of a road bike so I bought an actual road bike 4 weeks later (oops).
Aha, that's more like it... but granted, also not very hybrid-y
Old 06-12-19, 11:59 AM
t_e_r_r_y

Originally Posted by SD70
if you were asking about the platforms on my bike, they are by fooker, a far-east inexpensive brand you'll find all over amazon. i don't have much in the way of an lbs around here, and these were cheap to test the waters of riding flats. i like them a lot!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.