Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Clunker Challenge #5

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Clunker Challenge #5

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-19, 07:39 AM
rustystrings61 

Bikes: 2002 Mercian Vincitore, 1982 Mercian Colorado, 1976 Puch Royal X, 1973 Raleigh Competition, 1971 Gitane Tour de France and others

Mentioned: 55 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 823 Post(s)
Liked 1,395 Times in 694 Posts
I still haven't really bonded with the Bottecchia, but I felt sorry for the poor forlorn thing leaning against the pile of previous Clunker Challenge contenders, so back onto the workstand it went. I recycled the brake cables and housings that came on the Puch that has taken up most of my wrench time this month and found a quick-release rear cable housing stop in the bin and fitted all of those. The original Universal pads from Nixon's first administration are still in place, but they kinda sorta work on the textured steel Dolomiti rims, so they stay for a while - I mean, no way I'm riding this thing in the rain!

I felt pretty good, so far - $30 for the bike itself, another $5 for the yellow hoods (bought many years ago) and a generous $1 for the scarred Shimano aero levers missing trim. But I needed a seatpost and a saddle, and the steel seatpost I thought I would use wouldn't fit. A turn 'round the workshop brought me to the Unicamex (?) saddle and SR seatpost that came with a Jeunet 630 project I bought last year. Let's see - frame, fork, Stronglight P3 headset, SR bars and stem, SR seatpost and saddle, Sugino BB for $100, so let's call it $10 for the pair, taking me to $46. I scrounged through the Rubbermaid storage bin of Pletscher racks and scavenged bar wrappings and found enough black plastic tape to cover the bars. Two more wine corks for bar end plugs and I'll be done with the build!

Now to figure out where and when to ride this monstrosity ...
Old 05-29-19, 08:11 AM
Millstone

Bikes: Might as well, now that I am here...

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 79 Post(s)
Liked 78 Times in 66 Posts
The downtube shifters didnt fit, seems like Shimano Arabesque ones should do (we dry-fitted some at the bike shop but the owner was using them for another bike).
So,it's single speed for me so far. not too bad: the chain is on the small cog in front, and at the 2nd smallest in the rear. I can handle that, nice bit of training

Arabesque puts this bike in the mid 80 I guess, and it seems that although it has 6 speeds in the rear, 5 would fit better. Ah well.

I've put some miles/kilometres onit so far: few times for commuting, few times to ride to the LBS (well, the "old" local bike shop that is). I think I am halfway there.

Picture of the Arnhem Bridge I took today:

That's all folks!
Old 05-29-19, 09:55 AM
ryansu

Bikes: 2009 Handsome Devil, 1987 Trek 520 Cirrus, 1978 Motobecane Grand Touring, 1987 Nishiki Cresta GT, 1989 Specialized Allez Former bikes; 1986 Miyata Trail Runner, 1979 Miyata 912, 2011 VO Rando, 1999 Cannondale R800, 1986 Schwinn Passage

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 796 Post(s)
Liked 522 Times in 367 Posts
Originally Posted by Millstone
The downtube shifters didnt fit, seems like Shimano Arabesque ones should do (we dry-fitted some at the bike shop but the owner was using them for another bike).
So,it's single speed for me so far. not too bad: the chain is on the small cog in front, and at the 2nd smallest in the rear. I can handle that, nice bit of training

Arabesque puts this bike in the mid 80 I guess, and it seems that although it has 6 speeds in the rear, 5 would fit better. Ah well.

I've put some miles/kilometres onit so far: few times for commuting, few times to ride to the LBS (well, the "old" local bike shop that is). I think I am halfway there.

Picture of the Arnhem Bridge I took today:

That's all folks!
Was that A Bridge too Far? I visited your lovely city in 1999 and went to the War Museum as I was fascinated with Operation Market Garden as a kid. BTW my 1979 Miyata 912 had Arabesque shifters so your frame might be earlier than mid 80s.
Old 05-29-19, 08:01 PM
Oldsledz

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 66 Post(s)
Liked 185 Times in 80 Posts
I was out on my Specialized HardRock sport tonight, went 17.7 mile , I now have 47.92 miles on the bike. 5 miles of tonights ride was dirt roads the rest paved riding through woods and farm land

This store is the only thing left of JAM Michigan.

Oil well , not sure if you can see the wind turbines in the background.

An old barn.
Likes For Oldsledz:
Old 05-29-19, 11:15 PM
Manny66 

Bikes: 1973 Colnago Super, Litespeed Classic , Automoto , Pinarello Gavia TSX,Eddy Merckx Corsa Extra,Eddy Merckx EMX-5 , 1982 Moser SL, Concorde TSX, Vitus 979 KAS. Diamant SLX,60's Meteor

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 235 Post(s)
Liked 947 Times in 327 Posts
I think I got you all beat already, and I didnt even have to try.

I picked up a CIOCC Micro 84 from Chico81 a couple of weeks back for $80 total. Full Shimano 600 with mismatched Mavic wheels and a crummy seat. The paint polished up fine but the chromed Fork looks like trash. I completely disassembled the bike and everything looks like its in good working order minus the rear STI shifter lever which is stuck.

heres the bike,,https://www.bikeforums.net/classic-v...-40-worth.html

The frame has minimal surface corrosion which cleaned up with a little effort. The chrome polished up and the paint was shockingly easy to buff to a nice shine. The Forks though...
Old 05-30-19, 12:22 PM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 511 Post(s)
Quoted: 7348 Post(s)
Liked 2,462 Times in 1,433 Posts
@rustystrings61, I'm very sorry. I've lost both parents and both stepparents. It's very hard.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
Old 05-30-19, 12:24 PM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

@Jp42, fantastic work!

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Old 05-30-19, 05:14 PM
Cyclist3098765
Banned.

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked 38 Times in 17 Posts
Originally Posted by noglider
@Jp42, fantastic work!
Thank you!
I've ridden about 15 miles so far, couple times around the neighborhood and once out to the frisbee golf course.
I forgot how nice these bikes ride, I don't know if it's the wide 27" tires, the butted spokes or the sheer road crushing weight of the thing but it is very smooth.
Old 05-30-19, 09:35 PM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

@Jp42, most of those are factors to the ride quality (but not the spokes), as are the frame angles, which are pretty slack by modern standards.

Old 06-01-19, 07:30 PM
Oldsledz

I put a few more miles on my HardRock sport last night and tonight, I am at 58.55 miles now, I want to get one more ride on the trails to get over the 100km mark. I had my 2 year old Grandson along with me tonight.
Likes For Oldsledz:
Old 06-03-19, 03:51 AM
Millstone

Bikes: Might as well, now that I am here...

Quoted: 79 Post(s)
Liked 78 Times in 66 Posts
Originally Posted by ryansu
Was that A Bridge too Far? I visited your lovely city in 1999 and went to the War Museum as I was fascinated with Operation Market Garden as a kid. BTW my 1979 Miyata 912 had Arabesque shifters so your frame might be earlier than mid 80s.
Yes. It's about 5-6 kms from where I live now.
Lot of history about WWII here, espescially after Market Garden. I'll see if I can post some pics about that, including the bike .

Yes, the Benotto is probably more a late 70s-early 80s bike. Not sure if that puts it in the Mexican or Italian Benotto category. Honestly, at the moment I dont care. It's fun to ride and will definatly see more uses in the future. If I can get a small luggage carrier on it, and some fenders I might even make it my regular commute-bike.
Or just carry the stuff on my back and deal with the rain. No idea yet
Old 06-03-19, 12:12 PM
ryansu

Bikes: 2009 Handsome Devil, 1987 Trek 520 Cirrus, 1978 Motobecane Grand Touring, 1987 Nishiki Cresta GT, 1989 Specialized Allez Former bikes; 1986 Miyata Trail Runner, 1979 Miyata 912, 2011 VO Rando, 1999 Cannondale R800, 1986 Schwinn Passage

@Millstone since it doesn't appear your Benotto has fender eyelets you might look at the SKS Raceblade fenders which can attach to fork blades and seat stays on racier bikes. Or the Bike planet Speedez which are similar
Old 06-03-19, 01:01 PM
88Tempo

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 15 Posts
Originally Posted by Millstone
Yes. It's about 5-6 kms from where I live now.
Lot of history about WWII here, espescially after Market Garden. I'll see if I can post some pics about that, including the bike .

Yes, the Benotto is probably more a late 70s-early 80s bike. Not sure if that puts it in the Mexican or Italian Benotto category. Honestly, at the moment I dont care. It's fun to ride and will definatly see more uses in the future. If I can get a small luggage carrier on it, and some fenders I might even make it my regular commute-bike.
Or just carry the stuff on my back and deal with the rain. No idea yet
Please do, my Great Uncle was KIA in that area shortly after Market Garden ended. He was in F Company 2/504 PIR 82nd Airborne. I'll never get to, but I'd love to do a tour of that area.
Old 06-04-19, 07:31 AM
Cl904

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 106 Post(s)
Liked 36 Times in 23 Posts
So, been riding a 6 mile loop every day, and I think I passed 100k this weekend.

Also, picked up another clunker...
1988 Schwinn prelude
cost, $20
had a Shimano 600 group from a trek I paid 20 for, so let’s say $10 for the bb, cranks, front and rear d.
saddle was free
105 dual pivot brakes were free from the co-op
wheel set was $12 from the thrift store
tires and tubes were $7 from the thrift store
brake pads were $12 I think... this is the third bike they’ve been on.
total as it sits, $61

total as it sits,
Old 06-04-19, 08:17 PM
Narhay

Mentioned: 124 Post(s)
Quoted: 956 Post(s)
Liked 568 Times in 314 Posts
Originally Posted by hazetguy
Well, I think I am going to try again this year. I had purchased a Centurion Ironman Master for exactly $100, sight unseen, and when it arrived there was a small chance that I would have been able to ride it as is, but the tubular front tire didn't hold air, so fixing that would have put me over budget, so I was out with that one.
Then a few weeks ago a Centurion Ironman Expert showed up on a local Craigslist for $75. No pictures, weird description, but what they hey, I took a chance. While in rougher condition, this one is actually at least potentially ridable as is, at least for the mileage of CC#5. Stem is stuck, headset indexes like crazy, not in the finest cosmetic condition. However, all it needed to get back on the road (at least temporarily) was a rear tire and pedals that I use. I replaced the rear tube just to be safe. Fortunately the local bicycle thrift store sells parts very cheap, so if I have any problems like tires and/or tubes, I should still be able to come in under budget.
So, here is my price breakdown so far:
$75 purchase price
$1 used tire (previously purchased at bicycle thrift store)
$1 used tube (previously purchased at bicycle thrift store)
$17 pedals/toe clips/straps (previously purchased at bicycle thrift store, removed from last year's Clunker Challenge Cannondale prior to selling the bike for a $20 profit, so maybe that doesn't count toward this year's total? I need a judge's ruling on that. @Narhay )

The rear tire that was on it. Kinda scary:

And here's the bike, after I swapped the tire and tube, pedals, and lubed all the pivots and the chain, made some small adjustments. Nope, I am not going to clean it.

CL ad, and 'as purchased' pic:

If you need the $17 then that would be reasonable to not count.
Old 06-04-19, 10:56 PM
ryansu

I love that the ads talks about the tire holding air but not that it's literally falling apart and has spots devoid of any actually rubber! I never see a car advertised with the tires hold air description. Nice Centurion rescue @hazetguy
Old 06-07-19, 07:57 PM
Oldsledz

Here is an update on my clunkers. I road some trails last Sunday to complete the 100 km, I am now at 102.78 km or 63.87 miles. I bought the bike in a package deal along with 4 others for 25.00 from a guy that runs the township recycling and trash compactor site. The other bikes were a Marukin. Fuji , AMF Sportmaster and a Motobecane. i sold the Sports master for 15.00, fixed and used the other 3 in the clunker challenge I used parts from the Marukin on the Motobecane and HardRock then sold what was left of the Marukin for 15.00. I also used parts from a couple bikes i found along the road in the trash. I used a seat with a rip from a bike I sold and a cable that was new but came from a yard sale, don't remember what I paid so I will call it one dollar that is what the cable was marked new. I put a used tire on the Fuji that came from a yard sale but took it off after finding a better tire with some other parts in the trash. After the ride Sunday I cleaned the bike up and put it on Craigslist and sold it the next day for 40.00. so I spent 25.00 on the 5 bikes + for parts 2 dollars sold 3 bikes for a total of 70.00 so I am ahead 43.00 and 2 decent bikes. i will keep the Fuji for myself and my wife will ride the Motobecane after I put a different seat on it and upright bars.
Last ride.

Last ride.

Last ride

The day I brought the 5 bikes home.

The 3 bike from this deal + one other after getting done with 100km on each.

The Hardrock sitting where I found it.
Old 06-09-19, 05:11 PM
Oldsledz

Up date on my Fuji. I bought the bike in a package deal along with 4 others for 25.00 from a guy that runs the township recycling and trash compactor site. The other bikes were a Marukin. Specialized Hardrock Sport, AMF Sportmaster and a Motobecane. I sold the Sports master for 15.00, I used parts from the Marukin on the Motobecane and Hardrock Fixed and used the other 3 in the clunker challenge then sold what was left of the Marukin for 15.00. I also used parts from a couple bikes i found along the road in the trash, and 2.00 in parts from my parts pile from parts bikes. I put a used tire on the Fuji that came from a yard sale but took it off after finding a better tire with some other parts in the trash. After I was done with the 100km on the Specialized it sold on Craigslist for 40.00 So I spent 25.00 on the 5 bikes + 2 dollars for parts sold 3 bikes for a total of 70.00 so I am ahead 43.00 and 2 decent bikes. I will keep the Fuji for myself and my wife will ride the Motobecane after I put a different seat on it and upright bars. I am now at 71.74 miles or 115.45 km on the Fuji
Old 06-09-19, 05:46 PM
Oldsledz

I got this Huffy Concours Professional a few weeks ago at a yard sale for 5.00. I started cleaning it up and greasing the wheel bearings last week, I still need to do the crank and head set. Trued the wheels and got the front derailer cable freed up.

Back wheel cleaned greased and new tire and tube.

Starting on the front wheel.

Front wheel greased and new tire.

Huffy Concourse Professional
I put on w new Kenda tires that cost 9.60 with shipping and one new tube that came from a LBS that was closing down for 1.25 so I have 25.45 into the bike.
Likes For Oldsledz:
Old 06-09-19, 06:20 PM
Oldsledz

I done my first metric century ever on this Huffy today. The weather forecast called for rain at 4:00pm but it came at 1:15 so I was soaked by the time I got home. Other than that it was a good ride, I road alone but my wife met me at the restaurant for lunch.
First stop of the day.

The Tridge. 3 legged bridge

Midland County Court House.

Sanford MI.

Old railroad bridge , now part of the rail trail, Sanford MI.

Sandord MI.

Coleman MI

Lunch stop.

Gordenville MI , almost home.
Likes For Oldsledz:
Old 06-09-19, 06:53 PM
eeuuugh

Bikes: Aerotek 4000, Trek 950, Huffy Nel Lusso

Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked 105 Times in 49 Posts
Posting this a few weeks after the fact, but I completed!
I rode the Azuki from New Orleans to Bay St. Louis Mississippi three weeks ago, 55 miles each way. I swapped out the uncomfortable seat for another free one, and threw on a rack, but had to spend a dollar on nuts and bolts, bringing my total to $28. The weather was beautiful on the way there. Highlights were the Pearl River bayous, the gas station in Pearlington Mississippi, and Old Lower Bay Road in Hancock County, a google maps inspired detour which turned out to be a mile or two of gravel with a mysterious and inviting pond of cold clear water 3/4 of the way down. Clear water is a rarity in swamp country and my traveling companion and I feared it was some kind of industrial drainage pond. I looked it up afterward and seems to be an old limestone quarry, so probably would have been safe to swim in.

On the way back we had rain the first two hours, but once we were back in Louisiana we dried up and it stayed overcast, which was nice. Took the rack off and sold the bike for $200 the following week

Fun challenge, can't wait for the next one!
Old 06-10-19, 01:29 PM
tiredhands 
Sempiternal Newb

Bikes: '92 Trek 750, '85 Univega Gran Turismo, '95 Stumpjumper,

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 232 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 11 Posts
The Huffy popped several rusty spokes, and since I really don't want to put any money into that cavalcade of bad ideas I'm starting over.

My friend unearthed this Ross Signature 290s from his garage. It's nearly original aside from the bullhorns, including Ross branded tires. I've started a proper overhaul, and will keep the bullhorns and add the aerobars for a TT Klunker. I'm running out of time in the challenge, so I'll definitely complete the 100k in one go.

Old 06-10-19, 06:03 PM
mrv 
buy my bikes

Bikes: my very own customized GUNNAR CrossHairs

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 519 Post(s)
Liked 428 Times in 249 Posts
The Rossstronsity- half way

see that rock? It’s a metaphor for how the bike rides and it’s mass.

I was hoping it would get towed away while I went for a run. That’s how awful this bike is. I’d rather run.

clipped of 12 miles today on this pig.
It’s really horrid. I can’t believe I signed up for this. I’ll probably die trying and for what!?!
Old 06-11-19, 06:25 AM
mechanicmatt
Hoards Thumbshifters

Bikes: '23 Black Mtn MC, '87 Bruce Gordon Chinook, '08 Jamis Aurora, '86 Trek 560, '97 Mongoose Rockadile, & '91 Trek 750

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 246 Post(s)
Liked 334 Times in 192 Posts
Originally Posted by Oscuro
Well, might as well throw my hat in here.

Found this good old Stumpy for $95 CAD ($70.90 USD). It's in good condition, shifts great, hubs roll smooth, cranks feel solid. I just need to either find my allen keys to adjust the brakes, or buy new ones.

About the only issue the bike seems to have, is that the headset has some play in it, and the front brakes are horribly adjusted.

So, the bike not be that much of a clunker, but I make up for it.

I haven't posted around here for closing in on 9 years, and it has been probably 3+ years since I have ridden a bike period, and more like 7-8 years since I was in any sort of shape. Have an extra 40ish lbs of weight to handicap me.

So, 1.27 km in, I will be going for this.
Whoa, others may have said this, and I'm going completely by memory here, but that is a first 2 years of production Stumpjumper. The frames were made in japan and a lot of details are popular inspiration for other classic style bikes today. Bullnose bars, biplane fork, Avocet saddle, lugged frame, wide cantilever brakes, and bear trap pedals. I'd advocate for clean up and grease, and if you don't like it sell it. I don't know if it is truly worth a lot or not but a lot of mountain bike collectors look for this model. It's a true Klunker frame too. Worth doing a little bit of research.
Likes For mechanicmatt:
Old 06-11-19, 05:39 PM
harlond

Bikes: Torelli Titanio; Serotta Atlanta Concept; Specialized Rockhopper, Raleigh Twenty, Velo Orange Polyvalent

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by mrv

see that rock? It’s a metaphor for how the bike rides and it’s mass.

I was hoping it would get towed away while I went for a run. That’s how awful this bike is. I’d rather run.

clipped of 12 miles today on this pig.
It’s really horrid. I can’t believe I signed up for this. I’ll probably die trying and for what!?!
I've looked at this post 3-4 times and laughed every one.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.