Search
Notices
Long Distance Competition/Ultracycling, Randonneuring and Endurance Cycling Do you enjoy centuries, double centuries, brevets, randonnees, and 24-hour time trials? Share ride reports, and exchange training, equipment, and nutrition information specific to long distance cycling. This isn't for tours, this is for endurance events cycling

Helmet-mounted headlights

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-19, 01:31 PM
samkl 

Bikes: 2004 Trek 520, resto-modded 1987 Cannondale SR400, rando-modded 1976 AD Vent Noir; 2019 Wabi Classic; 1989? Burley Duet

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 213 Post(s)
Liked 93 Times in 51 Posts
Helmet-mounted headlights

Anyone have a relatively cheap recommendation? It’d just be for illuminating cue sheet and road signs, a supplement to my regular headlight.

Nothing too powerful required or wanted. Non-rechargeable batteries preferred.
Old 05-19-19, 06:18 PM
clasher

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 229 Post(s)
Liked 148 Times in 103 Posts
I've thought about buying this topeak one but I've only ever played with it at the LBS but it seems pretty decent to me. I've just been using a headband lamp that is tiny and it's still one original batteries since I don't use it much at night.
Old 05-19-19, 08:42 PM
atwl77
Kamen Rider

Bikes: Fuji Transonic Elite, Marechal Soul Ultimate, Dahon Dash Altena

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 351 Post(s)
Liked 277 Times in 164 Posts
What about a basic Cateye HL-EL135 plus their helmet mount accessory?
Old 05-19-19, 09:44 PM
siebengang

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Petzl Tikka

The Petzl Tikka fits many helmets very well if you modify the strap so that it goes through the front ventilation holes. Lightweight, not too bright, 3 x AAA, water resistant, good run time, not very expensive.
Old 05-19-19, 09:57 PM
UniChris

Bikes: 36" Unicycle, winter knock-around hybrid bike

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 930 Post(s)
Liked 393 Times in 282 Posts
My primary light for urban settings is just a little flashlight I put on my helmet that takes either a 14500 lithium or single AA alkaline or NiMH. It's probably almost too bright for what you want, but it's compact and dirt cheap and I keep one in the saddle bag as a backup even on rural trails where I intend to use its 18650 big brother or that plus a bar light. I basically always have it, which means that should a "daytime" ride extend after dusk, I have something to get home on.

Pattern on a helmet light is less critical; I tend to keep it zoomed in fairly tight and aimed down at what I'm about to ride over. When I see someone coming the other way I shake it in their direction a couple of times at distance for recognition, then point it down and right and watch them with my eyes rather than head position.

Saw a blacked out pedestrian on the trail the other night - for lack of anything better in the moment I announced "I see you" and then looked away.

For cue sheet only, you might almost want some little coin cell keychain LED squeeze thing.

Last edited by UniChris; 05-19-19 at 10:05 PM.
Old 05-19-19, 10:10 PM
Spoonrobot 

Mentioned: 63 Post(s)
Quoted: 1216 Post(s)
Liked 185 Times in 116 Posts
Is this a constant on light or are you planning to turn on as needed and adjust brightness? What kind of primaries are you planning to use? Alkalines are pointless so it's lithium in AA/AAA form factor (L91/L92) or CR123A cells IMO.

Illuminating a road sign so you can read it while moving isn't the most hefty requirement but it's more demanding than lighting up a cuesheet. Personally I think the Fenix HL50 is pretty great. You can use NiMH, Alkaline, or Lithium and it also includes a small tube to allow you to run AA or CR123A so if you get stuck buying batteries on the road you're covered for commonly available AA but can use the better CR123A when you start out and have them as your spares. Low is good for cuesheets and depending on the conditions med or hi works great for road signs. I've probably 100 hours or so on mine, mostly running high with NiMH AA but often with CR123A - it's a good light.

For longer rides or more demanding conditions I use a Zebralight H600w MkIV but that's a 18650 light most likely not of interest.
Old 05-20-19, 03:06 AM
kingston 
Jedi Master

Bikes: https://stinkston.blogspot.com/p/my-bikes.html

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quoted: 1759 Post(s)
Liked 488 Times in 313 Posts
I use one of these little hatclip lights on my helmet visor for the cue sheet. It's not as good for street signs obviously.
Old 05-20-19, 01:45 PM
samkl 

Bikes: 2004 Trek 520, resto-modded 1987 Cannondale SR400, rando-modded 1976 AD Vent Noir; 2019 Wabi Classic; 1989? Burley Duet

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 213 Post(s)
Liked 93 Times in 51 Posts
Thanks everyone. I nearly forgot that I have one of those Petzl headlamps, so I’ll figure out a way to attach it to my helmet. If not I’ll pick up one of Kingston’s cool clip-on lights.
Old 06-15-19, 07:27 AM
Richard Cranium

Bikes: 2003 LeMond -various other junk bikes

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 78 Post(s)
Liked 44 Times in 35 Posts
Anyone have a relatively cheap recommendation? It’d just be for illuminating cue sheet and road signs, a supplement to my regular headlight.
Nothing too powerful required or wanted. Non-rechargeable batteries preferred.
I suggest you rethink your bicycling lighting needs. Using cheap equipment is always a bad idea - and using cheap lights can be dangerous.

There are excellent lights under $50. These are lights that are good enough to focus on the name of a road sign at 50 feet - or to shine in motorist's eye as he rolls toward you from a driveway or a road your right or left.

Cyclist's have always needed more than just forward facing head lamp that goes unnoticed from all but oncoming traffic. Either use a head-mounted light or get a couple of blinking lights for attention on your right and left.
Old 06-15-19, 01:39 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
So more be seen than see by? on your head won't light the road much ,

your petzel was for walking speed after all . but they are handy for fixing your bike at night...

https://www.lightandmotion.com/shop/...-pro-adventure

would be a bit brighter,,
Old 06-15-19, 04:26 PM
unterhausen
Randomhead

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 3,690 Times in 2,513 Posts
let me do some advanced calculations. The relative speed between a cyclist and his cue sheet under normal conditions is .... zero. Been a while since I have used my helmet light for anything like illuminating the road, I just use it to look at my cue sheet. I could never get my little petzl to sit right on my helmet, so I am using a low-end Cygolite. I wish there was something lighter.
Old 06-19-19, 07:35 PM
kingston 
Jedi Master

Bikes: https://stinkston.blogspot.com/p/my-bikes.html

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quoted: 1759 Post(s)
Liked 488 Times in 313 Posts
Originally Posted by samkl
Thanks everyone. I nearly forgot that I have one of those Petzl headlamps, so I’ll figure out a way to attach it to my helmet. If not I’ll pick up one of Kingston’s cool clip-on lights.
Confirmed Saturday night/Sunday morning that the hatclip light is definitely waterproof.