Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Living Car Free
Reload this Page >

Powering a computer from a hub generator?

Search
Notices
Living Car Free Do you live car free or car light? Do you prefer to use alternative transportation (bicycles, walking, other human-powered or public transportation) for everyday activities whenever possible? Discuss your lifestyle here.

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-06, 07:58 PM
attercoppe

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

{I searched the forums and didn't find anything relevant, and I'm not sure this is the best place to post this, but I don't see any other sub-forum that seems really good for this, so I figured I'd ask the other folks who live on their bikes.}

Yesterday I went to the LBS to get a headlight and a computer, and the tech showed me the hub generator on his bike. Long story short, I ordered one instead of getting a battery powered light. I also didn't get a computer yet, because I thought I might be able to find one that I could power from the generator. Anyone heard of this, or have one? Otherwise, any suggestions on computers? All I would really want is trip and cumulative odometer and speedometer, I don't need calories burned or anything, though a clock and temperature would be okay. Suggestions for head/tail light sets (to be powered from the generator) welcome as well.
Old 05-29-06, 08:24 PM
pedex
Banned

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 501 Times in 397 Posts
those little cycling computers need constant juice or they lose whats stored in them, hence the little watch battery inside

never heard of one for use with a schmidt hub
Old 05-30-06, 07:31 AM
jeff-o
Recumbent Evangelist

Bikes: Rebel Cycles Trike, Trek 7500FX

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by pedex
those little cycling computers need constant juice or they lose whats stored in them, hence the little watch battery inside

never heard of one for use with a schmidt hub
Ditto. A single 3V button cell battery lasts for a year or two; it's just not worth it to try and hook it up to a generator!
Old 05-30-06, 10:33 AM
gwd
Biker

Bikes: one Recumbent and one Utility Bike

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by attercoppe
Suggestions for head/tail light sets (to be powered from the generator) welcome as well.
My hub generator, although larger and heavier than the "bottle" type puts out the same voltage / wattage / amperage. Those values for your generator plus the old formula relating them are your keys to selecting the light bulbs. Some bulbs are labeled by watts others amps.

There are several European manufacturers of quality lights that have diodes which produce light for a minute after you stop- blue for front and red for rear. My front says B&M and rear DToplight. These brands seem to last a long time. I have a pair in my parts box that outlasted the bike they came with. They will be spares for whenever those that came with the hub generator break or if I build up another bike from a dumpster find.

You can also get $10 generator kits from sports authority with poor quality head and tail lights.

If there isn't a big bike lighting theft problem in your area I'd go with the well made long lasting items or fit them to be easily removable.

Unasked for advice: On my bike with the hub generator I have a spare non-generator wheel. Since my generator hub has some resistance even when turned off, and it is heavy I switch to the non-generator hub in summer and for long tours where I probably won't be riding at night.