Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Professional Cycling For the Fans
Reload this Page >

Difference btw sprinters and climbers?

Search
Notices
Professional Cycling For the Fans Follow the Tour de France,the Giro de Italia, the Spring Classics, or other professional cycling races? Here's your home...

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-07, 07:34 PM
stevel610 

Bikes: Novara Safari, CAAD9, WABI Classic, WABI Thunder

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 365 Post(s)
Liked 457 Times in 240 Posts

This may be a basic question, but what is the difference between sprinters and climbers physical ability. More specifically why do sprinters get dropped quickly on hill stages?
Old 07-14-07, 07:50 PM
pcates

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
they weigh 20lbs + more
Old 07-14-07, 07:51 PM
Ryanf
Banned.

Bikes: giant tcr c1 and giant ocr limited

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Mountain stages. Mountains baby not hills. The sprinters take it a little easy because there not going to keep up. The sprinters are massive, heavy riders too. Tom is 180 pounds of lead. Tom is almost the size of a mountain. Sprinters are good at short sprints and long flat stages. They are just trying to get over the mountains.
Old 07-14-07, 08:09 PM
oldspark

Bikes: Trek 7000 and a Trek 1200

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by pcates
they weigh 20lbs + more
Not a chance-Thor Hushovd is 180 lbs and that's about as big as they get. I do believe there was one rider in the TDF that weighed over 200 lbs a year ago or so, don't know if any one is that big this year. Robbie is not very big at all.
Old 07-14-07, 08:11 PM
ElJamoquio
Burning Matches.

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 4077 Post(s)
Liked 1,002 Times in 676 Posts
Originally Posted by oldspark
Not a chance-Thor Hushovd is 180 lbs
And the average tour rider is ~150 lbs. Boonen is 180 lbs. Robbie is 5'7", should weigh ~130 lbs as a climber and actually does weigh about 150 lbs.
Old 07-14-07, 08:19 PM
oldspark

Bikes: Trek 7000 and a Trek 1200

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by pcates
they weigh 20lbs + more
My bad they do weigh 20lbs+.
Old 07-14-07, 10:00 PM
airsoft510
Cannondale

Bikes: 05' bianchi 938 carbon, 05' cervelo p3 carbon, 05' cervelo soloist carbon, torrelli road, cannondale mountain

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Like people said body size. People are born with different sized bodies. Take for example one of my team mates can easy be around 140 lbs and he's slightly taller than me. He can keep that weight without much problem. With me however, i weigh 160, and its hard for me to get lower than 150, and I am shorter than he is.

Muscle mass can also have to do with it. I have the biggest thigh muscles on my team, but I can't climb as well as that 140lbs kid.
Old 07-14-07, 10:54 PM
NotAsFat
as I used to be

Bikes: 2006 Lemond Tourmalet triple

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Climbing is about power/weight ratio. Sprinting is about peak power output for 10-20 seconds. Time trialing is about sustained power for periods up to about 1 hr. Sprints and time trial courses are usually flat enough to make power/weight irrelevant.
Old 07-15-07, 03:09 AM
bad timmy
not a doctor

Bikes: Fuji Team 06, Giant ATX-something from mid-90's, Bob Jackson tourer from 1976 (belonged to my late father), a custom touring tandem (ditto).

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
plus they train for different things. a sprinter relies on power and acceleration, and a climber relies on aerobic capacity and endurance. the training is significantly different for these two types of effort (although both types of rider obviously need to work on all aspects of their cycling, just the emphasis is different).
their natural body composition (fast twitch/slow twitch muscle fibre ratio, body mass, aerobic capacity, cardiac capacity) would play a big part in what sort of rider they become - no matter how hard mcewen or boonen tried, they would never be pure climbers. just as rasmussen is never gonna have the speed and power of mcewen over a short sprint, no matter how many power cleans he does.

given that they're never going to compete with pure climbers in the mountains, it makes sense for sprinters to conserve as much energy as possible, just making sure they get through the mountain stages within the time limit, and get to the flat stages as fresh as possible.
Old 07-15-07, 03:32 AM
dahoss2002

Bikes: 70's Motobecane, 89 Centurion Ironman

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by NotAsFat
Climbing is about power/weight ratio. Sprinting is about peak power output for 10-20 seconds. Time trialing is about sustained power for periods up to about 1 hr. Sprints and time trial courses are usually flat enough to make power/weight irrelevant.

Power/ weight ratio.... That makes sense.....Takes alot more juice to shove a 180lb weight up a hill than a 155lb weight. Thats what I tell my 112 lb daughter as she accelerates away from my 205 lb arse on a decent hill. I tell her its "Physics" but she says," I'm just good!"
Old 07-16-07, 07:34 AM
meb

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by oldspark
Not a chance-Thor Hushovd is 180 lbs and that's about as big as they get. I do believe there was one rider in the TDF that weighed over 200 lbs a year ago or so, don't know if any one is that big this year. Robbie is not very big at all.
Magnus Backstadt 210 lbs, and yes he was a sprinter.

Always wondered how much power output he must have had to propel that much weight into a final sprint with the likes of much smaller riders like Thor, Tom, and Robbie.
Old 07-16-07, 08:57 PM
stevel610 

Bikes: Novara Safari, CAAD9, WABI Classic, WABI Thunder

Quoted: 365 Post(s)
Liked 457 Times in 240 Posts
Thanks. I thought sprinters were supposed to be larger but Robbie M. looks like the peleton swishing past would blow him off the road. Genetics must play a part.
Old 07-16-07, 09:19 PM
OrionKhan

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by NotAsFat
In addition, on flats you're primarily working against wind resistance. The difference in frontal area between sprinters and climbers is relatively small and easier to overcome. For climbing, you're working against gravity. That's where the weight comes into play.

Do a search on the road cycling board for a more detailed scientific explanation.