Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Does riding build muscle or change muscle fibers?

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-07, 11:59 PM
kmac27

Bikes: MTB Agressor for now.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

So I am learning that aerobic excercise doesn't really create "new muscle" as opposed to weightlifting. So does cycling really change your muscle fibers from fast twitch to more slow twitch cheracteristics or am I missing something?

Also how hard, dense can your muscles get from cycling. How about defined?
Old 12-29-07, 12:07 AM
Red Rider
Don't mince words

Bikes: '16 BH Quartz, 2017 Calfeecustom carbon tandem, Fuji D6 TT bike

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by kmac27
So I am learning that aerobic excercise doesn't really create "new muscle" as opposed to weightlifting. So does cycling really change your muscle fibers from fast twitch to more slow twitch cheracteristics or am I missing something?

Short answer: Yes.

Climb some hills and tell me about fast/slow twitch. Then sprint and discuss.

Your muscles can become very defined, if your diet is in sync with your cycling. I'll bet you know plenty of cyclists who have terrific definition that's obscured by that layer of adipose tissue acquired by improper/uneducated eating.

If you're primarily a distance rider and don't ride many hills, your legs may tend to be smaller, leaner, more defined (much is dependent on your DNA). If you're a sprinter and hill climber, count on larger and defined muscles. Again, that's dependent on your DNA, as well as your eating habits.

You're genetically predisposed to the number of fast twitch & slow twitch fibers you have, as well as how big your muscles will get. You may want to consult a professional to get a program specific to you.

YMMV.
Old 12-29-07, 12:32 AM
fogrider

Bikes: Ron Cooper, Time VXSR, rock lobster, rock lobster, serotta, ritchey, kestrel, paramount

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I think weightlifting builds your muscles by building lactic acid which pretty much tears down your muscles and rebuilds more and bigger. that s why you need time to recover. aerobic tones and builds the muscles you have. but the real advanage to aerobic is it builds up your lung and heart to deliver oxygen to your muscles.
Old 12-29-07, 01:54 AM
timmyquest
Banned.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Do both.
Old 12-29-07, 02:01 AM
Edonis13

Bikes: S-Works SL3 Tarmac, Allez E5, Leader 735TT, others

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Red Rider
cyclists who have terrific definition that's obscured by that layer of adipose tissue acquired by improper/uneducated eating.
thats me!
Old 12-29-07, 02:21 AM
remixity
annoying zzz sound

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Well if you mash your pedals, it's pretty much the same as weight training. Aerobic exercise does bulk up the muscle matter in your heart, though. Lance Armstrong's heart, for example, is relatively huge.

I don't think it's been established that fast-twitch fibers convert to slow-twitch fibers, but obviously something goes on during cardio exercise that leads to the building and recruitment of more slow-twitch fibers.
Old 12-29-07, 02:23 AM
dauphin

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Red Rider
Short answer: Yes.

Climb some hills and tell me about fast/slow twitch. Then sprint and discuss.

Your muscles can become very defined, if your diet is in sync with your cycling. I'll bet you know plenty of cyclists who have terrific definition that's obscured by that layer of adipose tissue acquired by improper/uneducated eating.

If you're primarily a distance rider and don't ride many hills, your legs may tend to be smaller, leaner, more defined (much is dependent on your DNA). If you're a sprinter and hill climber, count on larger and defined muscles. Again, that's dependent on your DNA, as well as your eating habits.

You're genetically predisposed to the number of fast twitch & slow twitch fibers you have, as well as how big your muscles will get. You may want to consult a professional to get a program specific to you.

YMMV.
you are a certified personal trainer? a physician? a medical reseacher?
Old 12-29-07, 08:38 AM
oldspark

Bikes: Trek 7000 and a Trek 1200

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by dauphin
How about someone who just knows what they are talking about, some of the posts on Bike Forums are way out in left field and are defended with brainless babble.
Old 12-29-07, 09:45 AM
brundle_fly

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The truth is;Cycling will turn you into a stick insect
Old 12-29-07, 09:50 AM
pseudobrit
1.9lb/in

Bikes: LeMond, CAAD9/1

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Everyone on BF is expert. Never question our credentials. Where's pcad to tell us credential is for wussy?

Originally Posted by brundle_fly
I love being a stick insect. The figure below my username is not a joke. Although winter chub and too much weight training has pushed it over 2 for the moment.
Old 12-29-07, 10:18 AM
Red Rider
Don't mince words

Bikes: '16 BH Quartz, 2017 Calfeecustom carbon tandem, Fuji D6 TT bike

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Personal trainer and wannabe kinesiologist.
Old 12-29-07, 10:25 AM
ldesfor1@ithaca

Bikes: 2 cdale Caad7. Scatantte CX/winter bike. SS commuter.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
[QUOTE=fogrider;5885341]I think weightlifting builds your muscles by building lactic acid which pretty much tears down your muscles and rebuilds more and bigger.

this is the dumbest, most useless comment ever. I'm sorry, but if you're just guessing about physiology, please dont post it in a forum where some one may accidentally take it for fact. this is wrong on so many levels. Yes, i do work in the fitness industry and this is just silly.

OP:

Get a book on physiology or at least look for some credible sources on the net and do some reading.

sorry, nothing personal. this is not a "what's your opinion" question, please dont answer it as one.
Old 12-29-07, 10:45 AM
ldesfor1@ithaca

Bikes: 2 cdale Caad7. Scatantte CX/winter bike. SS commuter.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Kmac27:

I am an ACE certified personal trainer who takes his job and own cycling training seriously (but still, take my comments with a grain of salt).

Firstly, most reaserch/accepted knowledge suggests that your body has a predetermined number of muscle fibers and that no ammount of weight lifting or cycling will ever increase the number of muscle fibers one has. Check this out (the good doctor has stated clearly):

Provided by C. Subah Packer, Ph.D., associate professor, Indiana University School of Medicine, Indianapolis

"Muscles generally get bigger in response to working harder. Although the cells do not typically divide and produce more cells (a process called hyperplasia) in response to a greater workload, they do grow bigger. This increase in cell size is called hypertrophy.

The main mechanism for skeletal muscle cell hypertrophy in response to increased workload is an increase in contractile protein production. Therefore, the result of increased exercise, especially load-bearing exercise such as weight lifting, is increased synthesis of the contractile proteins, actin and myosin, by the muscle cells. The larger cells are bigger and stronger and, therefore, the whole muscle or group of muscles becomes bigger and stronger.

Conversely, lack of exercise results in a process of atrophy, which is a decrease in muscle size and strength (remember: no pain, no gain). Atrophy is likely because of down-regulation of the cell signals that stimulate contractile protein synthesis. Eventually, cell proteins break down, and if the proteins are not replaced as fast as they are lost, the cells will decrease in size and strength. The exact cell signals involved in both hypertrophy and atrophy are under investigation and have yet to be completely understood. "

-Additionally, genetics, diet, rest, and training techniques will place limiters on muscle size. For example, no amount of weight lifting will get you 20 inch biceps if your caloric intake is not great enough to maintain and develop that high level of cellular density.

To address your question about fast and slow twitch fibers:

genetics tend to predetermine the % of fast and slow twitch fibers in each individual. This makes sense as some cyclists (or any other sport's athletes) are seemingly "natural" sprinters or excel at long climbs or endurance events. This does not mean that one can not improve ones weaknesses, and fast twitch response can be vastly improved with training. Your fast twitch fibers do not increase, but the ones you do have become stronger, faster and more efficient with appropriate training and rest.

To address the muscular definition question: again genetics play a role here, but nutrition, rest and training really determine muscular definition. The more bodyfat one has, the less defined the muscles, as the layers of fat cover up the underlying muscles. Now, losing bodyfat is a whole other can of worms.
Pro cyclists are extremely defined...does that answer that question?

Hopefully this helps a bit.

-L
Old 12-29-07, 11:01 AM
dauphin

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
finally...an intelligent post... ^^^^
Old 12-29-07, 01:33 PM
Dubbayoo

Bikes: Pedal Force QS3

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
So does cycling really change your muscle fibers from fast twitch to more slow twitch cheracteristics?
No, only Jebus can do that. Muscle fibers get larger but the distribution doesn't change nor does the number.

Muscle defintion is mostly a function of calorie intake versus expenditure. I have very large muscles but little definition because a) I do more talking about riding than actual riding. b) I like pizza and c) I'm getting old.
Old 12-29-07, 01:54 PM
timmyquest
Banned.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
+1
Bravo
Old 12-29-07, 02:01 PM
asgelle

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1031 Post(s)
Liked 450 Times in 264 Posts
Originally Posted by Dubbayoo
Muscle fibers get larger but the distribution doesn't change nor does the number.
You don't believe in the conversion of type IIb to type IIa fibers?
Old 12-29-07, 02:06 PM
wfrogge

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
[QUOTE=ldesfor1@ithaca;5886515]
Originally Posted by fogrider
I think weightlifting builds your muscles by building lactic acid which pretty much tears down your muscles and rebuilds more and bigger.

this is the dumbest, most useless comment ever. I'm sorry, but if you're just guessing about physiology, please dont post it in a forum where some one may accidentally take it for fact. this is wrong on so many levels. Yes, i do work in the fitness industry and this is just silly.

OP:

Get a book on physiology or at least look for some credible sources on the net and do some reading.

sorry, nothing personal. this is not a "what's your opinion" question, please dont answer it as one.
I agree with you but to be honest if somebody is dumb enough to take any posting here as fact they get what they deserve.....

But back on topic...

If you want to get defined you need to have a low ammount of body fat. And BTW aerobic cycling does build muscle.
Old 12-29-07, 02:13 PM
Dubbayoo

Bikes: Pedal Force QS3

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by asgelle
You don't believe in the conversion of type IIb to type IIa fibers?
Well, we could get into inducing hyperplasia with HGH and IGF-1, which is possible. I just chose to keep it simple and not to go there.
Old 12-29-07, 02:25 PM
asgelle

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1031 Post(s)
Liked 450 Times in 264 Posts
Originally Posted by Dubbayoo
Well, we could get into inducing hyperplasia with HGH and IGF-1, which is possible.
I guess we could, but I don't see how that's germane. The USAC coach's manual gives as one response to aerobic training, the conversion of type IIb to type IIa fibers. Are you saying this is incorrect?
Old 12-29-07, 03:30 PM
oldspark

Bikes: Trek 7000 and a Trek 1200

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
No one read red rider's post?
Old 12-29-07, 03:56 PM
haimtoeg
Magnesium Dogmatic

Bikes: Look 585 Ultra, Pinarello Dogma, Pegoretti Duende, Orbea, Cannondale Capo

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ldesfor1@ithaca
Kmac27:

I am an ACE certified personal trainer who takes his job and own cycling training seriously (but still, take my comments with a grain of salt).

Hopefully this helps a bit.

-L
Excellent post!
Old 12-29-07, 06:06 PM
Naterider

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Ok. So how do you lose body fat AND gain muscle?

Magic pill???

It is difficult to eat enough healthy foods to recover properly and lose BF.
Old 12-29-07, 06:39 PM
Road Fan

Bikes: 1980 Masi, 1984 Mondonico, 1984 Trek 610, 1980 Woodrup Giro, 2005 Mondonico Futura Leggera ELOS, 1967 PX10E, 1971 Peugeot UO-8

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 1854 Post(s)
Liked 661 Times in 504 Posts
Originally Posted by brundle_fly
This has been my expereince, 'cep I'm a stick insect who likes french fries!

Road Fan
Old 12-29-07, 07:33 PM
Machka 
In Real Life

Bikes: Lots

Mentioned: 141 Post(s)
Quoted: 3203 Post(s)
Liked 596 Times in 329 Posts
Well, I was going to answer this, but both Red Rider and Ides have said was I was going to say. I too have kinesiology and fitness theory textbooks to quote from, which say what their texts say.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.