Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Does riding build muscle or change muscle fibers?

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Does riding build muscle or change muscle fibers?

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-07, 08:11 PM
kmac27

Bikes: MTB Agressor for now.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Great information, except for the lactic acid comment. (lactic acid is created by the muscle and eventually gets too great in mass that stops the muscle from contracting. Its a byproduct of using atp) Anywho I am a decent mascular guy, I am 5'9 170 and about 7% body fat. 15 inch arms and legs so I think I'm genetically blessed in the legs but the upper half took a years worth of work.
Old 12-30-07, 01:06 AM
East Hill
Lanky Lass

Location: Take a deep breath, and ask--What would Sheldon do?

Bikes: Nishiki Nut! International, Pro, Olympic 12, Sport mixte, and others too numerous to mention.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by oldspark
No one read red rider's post?
Doesn't look that way...

East Hill
Old 12-30-07, 01:22 AM
kmac27

Bikes: MTB Agressor for now.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I guess I'm just asking how hard can I get my leggs through climbing hills and how big will they get?
Old 12-30-07, 01:33 AM
Machka 
In Real Life

Bikes: Lots

Mentioned: 141 Post(s)
Quoted: 3203 Post(s)
Liked 596 Times in 329 Posts
Originally Posted by kmac27
I guess I'm just asking how hard can I get my leggs through climbing hills and how big will they get?
That will be determined by genetics and how fast and well you put on muscle ... and how much cycling you do.

When I was bodybuilding, I discovered I put on muscle quite quickly, but all that bodybuilding never defined my my quads like cycling has done. However, I ride A LOT over a whole variety of terrain, and in all sorts of weather conditions (i.e. strong winds, etc.).
Old 12-30-07, 01:49 AM
KRunner

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by kmac27
Great information, except for the lactic acid comment. (lactic acid is created by the muscle and eventually gets too great in mass that stops the muscle from contracting. Its a byproduct of using atp) Anywho I am a decent mascular guy, I am 5'9 170 and about 7% body fat. 15 inch arms and legs so I think I'm genetically blessed in the legs but the upper half took a years worth of work.

Not sure if I'm reading your post correctly, but if you are indeed saying that lactic acid is what causes the muscle to stop contracting, thats not the whole story according to some new studies. Lactic acid is starting to be seen as an energy source in well trained athletes.

"He and his UC Berkeley colleagues found that muscle cells use carbohydrates anaerobically for energy, producing lactate as a byproduct, but then burn the lactate with oxygen to create far more energy. The first process, called the glycolytic pathway, dominates during normal exertion, and the lactate seeps out of the muscle cells into the blood to be used elsewhere. During intense exercise, however, the second ramps up to oxidatively remove the rapidly accumulating lactate and create more energy.

Training helps people get rid of the lactic acid before it can build to the point where it causes muscle fatigue, and at the cellular level, Brooks said, training means growing the mitochondria in muscle cells. The mitochondria - often called the powerhouse of the cell - is where lactate is burned for energy."

Full Storyhttps://www.berkeley.edu/news/media/r..._lactate.shtml
Old 12-30-07, 02:11 AM
kpfeif

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by KRunner
Not sure if I'm reading your post correctly, but if you are indeed saying that lactic acid is what causes the muscle to stop contracting, thats not the whole story according to some new studies. Lactic acid is starting to be seen as an energy source in well trained athletes.

"He and his UC Berkeley colleagues found that muscle cells use carbohydrates anaerobically for energy, producing lactate as a byproduct, but then burn the lactate with oxygen to create far more energy. The first process, called the glycolytic pathway, dominates during normal exertion, and the lactate seeps out of the muscle cells into the blood to be used elsewhere. During intense exercise, however, the second ramps up to oxidatively remove the rapidly accumulating lactate and create more energy.

Training helps people get rid of the lactic acid before it can build to the point where it causes muscle fatigue, and at the cellular level, Brooks said, training means growing the mitochondria in muscle cells. The mitochondria - often called the powerhouse of the cell - is where lactate is burned for energy."

Full Storyhttps://www.berkeley.edu/news/media/r..._lactate.shtml
Thanks professor, welcome to the 70's.
Old 12-30-07, 09:35 AM
oldspark

Bikes: Trek 7000 and a Trek 1200

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Machka
That will be determined by genetics and how fast and well you put on muscle ... and how much cycling you do.

When I was bodybuilding, I discovered I put on muscle quite quickly, but all that bodybuilding never defined my my quads like cycling has done. However, I ride A LOT over a whole variety of terrain, and in all sorts of weather conditions (i.e. strong winds, etc.).
I would love to see your legs DOM (dirty old man).LOL
Old 12-30-07, 10:54 AM
oilman_15106

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Screw the scienc, just go out and ride.
Old 12-30-07, 10:54 AM
oilman_15106

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
science
Old 12-30-07, 10:59 AM
asgelle

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1031 Post(s)
Liked 451 Times in 265 Posts
Originally Posted by oilman_15106
Screw the scienc, just go out and ride.
How?
Old 12-30-07, 10:04 PM
the shark

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
OP = what exactly is it you want - Big and defined legs I guess?

Then as stated:
1) Lift weights - squats, leg press, hamstring curls, weited lunges, calf raises etc.
2) Do sprints on the bike
3) Climb some hills
4) Ride into a headwind in a big gear

Eat a clean diet - as natural as possible and eiminate all sugrars and processed etc. Eliminate booze too.

After a hard workout get a recovery drink with protein powder in after the workout. Get rest / recover / Repeat. Also get 8-9 hrs sleep nightly.

Note: take measurements and some pictures before you do a solid 90 routine and see what you get.

No majic in this, just hard work and dicipline on diet and workouts and listeing to your body not to overtrain or get injured.
Old 12-31-07, 12:02 AM
Bikelyst
That's what she said

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac Pro SL, Bianchi Via Nirone '07, Fuji Ace '05

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by remixity
Well if you mash your pedals, it's pretty much the same as weight training. Aerobic exercise does bulk up the muscle matter in your heart, though. Lance Armstrong's heart, for example, is relatively huge.

I don't think it's been established that fast-twitch fibers convert to slow-twitch fibers, but obviously something goes on during cardio exercise that leads to the building and recruitment of more slow-twitch fibers.
Right, but early season weight training (now) should be used to adapt to the stresses later in the year...stresses your body has to adapt to. You can't simply go mash on the pedals and expect to become faster.
Old 12-31-07, 12:49 AM
recursive
Geosynchronous Falconeer

Bikes: 2006 Raleigh Rush Hour, Campy Habanero Team Ti, Soma Double Cross

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Cycling turned me into a sexy beast. That's all I know.
Old 12-31-07, 02:14 AM
foul smell

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Naterider
Ok. So how do you lose body fat AND gain muscle?

Magic pill???

It is difficult to eat enough healthy foods to recover properly and lose BF.
Ephedrine stack. Danerous though and not UCI legal.
Old 12-31-07, 12:44 PM
MyPC8MyBrain
Shut Up and Ride

Bikes: Cannondale t-700 [commuter], Cannondale MT-800 [Tandem so the Lil Misses can keep up], GT I drive Team [My tricked out Racer MTB]

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by recursive
Cycling turned me into a sexy beast. That's all I know.
+1, although sadly it's only from the waist down.

Legs are like chiseled rocks...Havent seen my belt buckle in 5 years.