Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Electronics, Lighting, & Gadgets
Reload this Page >

Need help with dynamo + LED system

Search
Notices
Electronics, Lighting, & Gadgets HRM, GPS, MP3, HID. Whether it's got an acronym or not, here's where you'll find discussions on all sorts of tools, toys and gadgets.

Need help with dynamo + LED system

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-09, 01:06 PM
PaulRivers

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 539 Post(s)
Liked 44 Times in 38 Posts
Originally Posted by cbr2702
I put a light together for a roadster six months ago, and I had good results with lazyness. That is, I decided I didn't really need everything I thought I wanted at first.

I thought I wanted a dynamo tail light. Then I realized that LED taillights take so little power that I could run a rear stand alone with on an enclosed non-rechargeable battery for six months to a year. So no wires to the rear.

I thought I wanted something to smooth the beam so it wouldn't flicker. That is, a dynamo hub puts out power in a sine wave of increasing frequency. If you rectify with just a little bridge recitifier, you get flicker at low speeds. To get the nicest output you can make moderately complex rectifier that uses capacitors to smooth this. When I actually put the light together, though, I found that there was no flicker unless I was walking the bike or going insanely slowly.

I thought I wanted a standlight. But with the complexity of batteries and charging circuits, and running a rear battery powered light, I decided the benefits were quite small.

I thought I wanted several emitters. Then I realized that with a single cree XR-E (R2, WH tint) (I'm sure there are better ones now) I had more light output than people with 20W halogens had been riding on five years ago.

I thought I wanted a switch. I even chose an enclosure with one. But after setting it all up, I realized I couldn't feel whether it was on or off, and I liked that drivers would see me better with it on. So I leave the switch on 'on'.

So you can certainly make something complex that meets all your criteria, but you may decide it's not worth it. If you do, and just want something like I made, all you need is:

1 White power led
1 heatsink for led
1 elliptical (10/40) lens for led
1 bridge rectifier

Connect the two outputs of the dynamo to the two pins marker ~ on the rectifier. Connect the rectifier + to the led +, the rectifier - to the led -. Attach the led to the heatsink with thermal glue. Attach the lens to the led as appropriate. Put in housing. Done.

If you want a switch, it can go anywhere.
I can see some of your points. I can understand not wanting to hook up the rear dynamo light because of the hassle, though I personally prefer them (running wires is a one-time task, and you can't tell while riding if the rear light has run out of battery).

But saying the benefits of a standlight are quiet small is just insane if you ever ride on the road. Well...I guess if your tail light isn't dynamo powered it's not at bad. But with no standlight, you go from being visible to completely invisible whenever you stop - you know, when you'd be most likely to be hit because you're standing still expecting traffic to see you.

To the original poster, sorry I can't offer any real advice. I have seen manufactured retro dynamo lights, and I think my Lumotec Cyo is a fairly "clean" looking design. I'm just so impressed with both the light output and the shaped lense design I can't imagine any reason to build my own.
Old 04-16-09, 05:41 PM
unterhausen
Randomhead

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 3,697 Times in 2,518 Posts
Originally Posted by Wordbiker
No problem.

What I was looking for was simply something that was proven to work and reliable. What I am gathering is that this is yet another complex hobby I don't need. No worries, we'll work out something. I was just hoping to save some time.
I wish someone had done this an published a board. Probably happen sooner or later.
Old 04-16-09, 10:14 PM
Wordbiker
Pwnerer

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by PaulRivers
I can see some of your points. I can understand not wanting to hook up the rear dynamo light because of the hassle, though I personally prefer them (running wires is a one-time task, and you can't tell while riding if the rear light has run out of battery).

But saying the benefits of a standlight are quiet small is just insane if you ever ride on the road. Well...I guess if your tail light isn't dynamo powered it's not at bad. But with no standlight, you go from being visible to completely invisible whenever you stop - you know, when you'd be most likely to be hit because you're standing still expecting traffic to see you.

To the original poster, sorry I can't offer any real advice. I have seen manufactured retro dynamo lights, and I think my Lumotec Cyo is a fairly "clean" looking design. I'm just so impressed with both the light output and the shaped lense design I can't imagine any reason to build my own.
I do appreciate your post and agree with a couple of your thoughts.

My main goal with this project is to have a "set it and forget it" type of rig. I do not wish to deal with dead batteries for the rear flasher, so it will definitely be wired to the dynamo and include a standlight. I also agree with your standlight position for the headlight. Going from bright to dark at night sounds dangerous, especially since this may be my only light source. I know it will be more difficult to build these features in, but once it's done, it's done. I'll be able to jump on and go.

Unfortunately I cannot use the Lumotec Cyo. According to Peter White, it is incompatible with the Shimano dynohub and requires bulbs that eventually burn out. I'm looking for a 100,000 hour LED solution precisely to avoid that issue. I'd also want to build my own enclosure anyway for aesthetics and durability.
Old 04-17-09, 01:47 AM
PaulRivers

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 539 Post(s)
Liked 44 Times in 38 Posts

My main goal with this project is to have a "set it and forget it" type of rig. I do not wish to deal with dead batteries for the rear flasher, so it will definitely be wired to the dynamo and include a standlight. I also agree with your standlight position for the headlight. Going from bright to dark at night sounds dangerous, especially since this may be my only light source. I know it will be more difficult to build these features in, but once it's done, it's done. I'll be able to jump on and go.

Unfortunately I cannot use the Lumotec Cyo. According to Peter White, it is incompatible with the Shimano dynohub and requires bulbs that eventually burn out. I'm looking for a 100,000 hour LED solution precisely to avoid that issue. I'd also want to build my own enclosure anyway for aesthetics and durability.
I find your initiative intriguing and interesting, however, in the spirit of being helpful I believe you are completely and totally mistaken on that last part.

According to the official Shimano page:
https://bike.shimano.com/publish/cont...71.-type-.html
Your hub (a Shimano DH-3D71) is a standard 6w 3 volt hub. I do not believe Shimano actually makes hubs to any other spec - some other company makes 12 volt hubs, but not Shimano. I personally have a Shimano Alfine hub which has the same specs - 6v, 3 watt:
https://bike.shimano.com/publish/cont...-L.-type-.html

Some sort of communication error perhaps? I can with great certainty state that the Lumotec Cyo does NOT require bulbs that burn out. Just take a look at the Peter White site:
https://www.peterwhitecycles.com/schmidt-headlights.asp
Under the Cyo it says "It uses a different LED and has a heavier heat-sink to keep the LED running cooler, so the already brighter LED can run brighter still."
Also from the same page "and because LEDs work for many thousands of hours without failing (unlike the 100 hour run times with halogen bulbs) some riders like to use LED headlights without a switch and just have the light on all the time."

Aesthetics-wise the Cyo is what it is, I like it but you might prefer something different. Durability-wise, I would think the waterproof casing it comes with would be more durable than anything you could build yourself at home, especially once you add in standlight features and everything.

But the big, huge advantage the Cyo has over a home-built solution is the optics. The light has a lense on it that is just *fantastic*. It only throws light onto the ground ahead of you where you need it. It doesn't throw light up into the trees, doesn't throw it way off to the side, it's just there in front of you and a little to the sides in case you're turning, and the beam has more light at the top (where it has to go farther) which gives a pretty even distribution of light on the ground right in the area where you're looking. With the exact same LED but no optics, I can't imagine you would get nearly the reach and visibility from the light. I just can't say enough how incredibly impressed I am by the beam pattern - I actually *don't need* another light to bike at night with it (well...to be fair I also *like* to have a helmet mounted light so I can point it while riding).

When you say that the light won't work with your dynamo and the bulb needs replacing, it sounds to me like there was a communication error somewhere and those are specs for a different, not Cyo light. Hope I'm being helpful.
Old 04-17-09, 08:34 AM
Wordbiker
Pwnerer

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
When you say that the light won't work with your dynamo and the bulb needs replacing, it sounds to me like there was a communication error somewhere and those are specs for a different, not Cyo light. Hope I'm being helpful.
You certainly were being helpful, and you were also correct.

I just checked my information again and the incompatibility listed was for the Lumotec Halogen modified for the Schmidt hub. Peter says to not use it with the Shimano hub as it grounds to the frame.

I have no doubts your shared experiences with the Cyo will be helpful to someone else reading this thread, but I am still committed to building my own. I am not dependent on this one bike for transportation. If I were, I'd certainly consider a commercially produced solution. Since I do have the luxury of time...I'll stick with the plan.
Old 04-17-09, 08:45 AM
cbr2702

Bikes: flying pigeon roadster

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

When I'm stopped, at least two of the following are always true:

1) dangerous things (other bikes, cars) are approaching only from the back
2) there are no cars (bike path)
3) there are street lights

So as my tail light is not on the dynamo I think I'm pretty safe.

It wasn't the hassle of rigging a dynamo powered rear light or running wires that got me to use a rear battery system. It was that I'd need to (1) build in standlight circutry and (2) have to worry about running it down and going completely invisible if I was stopped for a while.
Old 04-17-09, 11:49 AM
Cue
Banned.

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 477 Post(s)
Liked 16 Times in 13 Posts
This thread below might have the answers you need.

https://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/...d.php?t=203223
Old 04-17-09, 10:49 PM
Michel Gagnon
Year-round cyclist

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

The problem with the Lumotec Oval Plus and the Shimano is not voltage or amperage, but simply the fact the Shimano hub is grounded while the Schmidt is not. So when one uses the Lumotec Oval Plus with the Shimano hub, the grounding prevents the light from working.

Peter White's warning goes for the Lumotec Oval Plus (i.e. the one with a halogen light bulb and a standlight). I know that the Lumotec IQ Fly and I think that the Lumotec Cyo are OK with the Shinano dynohubs. But anyway, there is a very solution to wire a "non-compatible" Lumotec Oval Plus with a Shimano dynohub: electrically insulate the headlight from the frame by installing it on a piece of pexiglass or flexible plastic tubing. On my daughter's bike, I have used a section about 2 cm long of EMT electrical tubing.

Finally, with regard to standlight or no standlight, I think it is essential in the back. I prefer to have one in front too, but unless I ride on well lit city roads, I prefer to have a small battery-operated LED headlight too (ex.: Planet Blaze). The standlight is no good when you need to fix a flat in the dark.

Last edited by Michel Gagnon; 04-17-09 at 10:56 PM.