Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational)
Reload this Page >

What did you just buy for your gravel bike?

Search
Notices
Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational) This has to be the most physically intense sport ever invented. It's high speed bicycle racing on a short off road course or riding the off pavement rides on gravel like : "Unbound Gravel". We also have a dedicated Racing forum for the Cyclocross Hard Core Racers.

What did you just buy for your gravel bike?

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-19, 09:31 AM
tsmorr

Bikes: Rossin SLX; Miyata Team Track; Fat Chance Kicker; Austro-Daimler Inter 10; Geekhouse Mudville

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 5 Posts
Hopefully nothing this week!

In the last week and a bit I ordered all the parts to finally build-up a F/F I've been sitting on for a few years. Selle Anatomica, Hunt 4 Seasons, (mostly) Force, Whisky bits.

After all that purchasing I hope I enjoy the bike (I am a lazy inexact person so I put it mostly together and then dropped it off at the local shop for them to do the cabling and adjusting).
Old 05-09-19, 05:05 PM
LeFreakyBone

Bikes: BMX – FBM Gypsy; Gravel/Adventure – Rodeo Labs Flaanimal 4.1; Mountain – Santa Cruz Bronson CC X01

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked 18 Times in 6 Posts

What did I just buy for my gravel bike?
A new gravel bike!

I ordered it in April and just took delivery today!
I got a Rodeo Labs Flaanimal 4.1. Working with Soren at the company made this an extremely easy process, and I give him a lot of credit for answering all of my questions and putting all my concerns at ease.

I have it built up with a Shimano 105 hydro groupset, Praxis Alba cranks, Easton EA50 cockpit, Easton EA70AX wheels, WTB Volt seat, WTB Nano 700x40 tires setup tubeless, and iSSi Flash III clipless pedals.

After a few years of researching bikes, coming close to buying, then backing out, I am super happy that i finally pulled the trigger!

It’s going to take me some time to get used to it, as every bike I’ve owned has been a single speed. This is also my first time using clipless pedals. I only got about 10ish miles on it so far, but I can say with absolute certainty that I love this bike and it will treat me well for many, many years!

Last edited by LeFreakyBone; 05-09-19 at 07:05 PM.
Likes For LeFreakyBone:
Old 05-09-19, 08:37 PM
TimothyH
- Soli Deo Gloria -

Bikes: 2018 Rodriguez Custom Fixed Gear, 2017 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2015 Bianchi Pista, 2002 Fuji Robaix

Mentioned: 235 Post(s)
Quoted: 6844 Post(s)
Liked 736 Times in 469 Posts
^^ That is a super nice bike.

You are going to have so much fun on that thing.

-Tim-
Likes For TimothyH:
Old 05-10-19, 09:05 AM
LeFreakyBone

Bikes: BMX – FBM Gypsy; Gravel/Adventure – Rodeo Labs Flaanimal 4.1; Mountain – Santa Cruz Bronson CC X01

Originally Posted by TimothyH
^^ That is a super nice bike.

You are going to have so much fun on that thing.

-Tim-
Thank you!
I am already making plans to do a 5 day / 250 mile gravel trip in Vermont, stopping at a number of breweries. I found the route here.
Old 05-10-19, 01:59 PM
tsmorr

Bikes: Rossin SLX; Miyata Team Track; Fat Chance Kicker; Austro-Daimler Inter 10; Geekhouse Mudville

Liked 7 Times in 5 Posts
Hard to go wrong with a route that brings you by Hill Farmstead - gorgeous area and amazing beer. Fan of Drop-In as well, although their taproom wasn't anything to write home about. I don't recall seeing Lawson's Finest Liquids on their route (they didn't use to have a taproom, but I just bought some of their beer the other day and the cans said something about there being a taproom now), and someone once told me that... Lost Nation I think it was, had a great taproom with attractive prices? Guy at Tour de Heifer, so I imagine it's a cycle friendly place.
Old 05-10-19, 02:43 PM
TimothyH
- Soli Deo Gloria -

Bikes: 2018 Rodriguez Custom Fixed Gear, 2017 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2015 Bianchi Pista, 2002 Fuji Robaix

Originally Posted by LeFreakyBone
Thank you!
I am already making plans to do a 5 day / 250 mile gravel trip in Vermont, stopping at a number of breweries. I found the route here.
Perfect. That's such a great website.

I'm planning the Dirty 130 soon. Maybe as a three day/two night trip.

I've also just done this... https://atlantabikerides.exposure.co...-bikes-dont-go

-Tim-
Old 05-10-19, 02:58 PM
Cyclist0108
Occam's Rotor

Mentioned: 61 Post(s)
Quoted: 2366 Post(s)
Liked 2,331 Times in 1,164 Posts
@LeFreakyBone How to you like the Spork fork?
Old 05-10-19, 10:51 PM
TimothyH
- Soli Deo Gloria -

Originally Posted by wgscott
@LeFreakyBone How to you like the Spork fork?
I'll bet he doesn't say he hates it.

-Tim-
Old 05-11-19, 10:09 AM
Cyclist0108
Occam's Rotor

Mentioned: 61 Post(s)
Quoted: 2366 Post(s)
Liked 2,331 Times in 1,164 Posts
I'll bet he doesn't say he hates it.

-Tim-

So far, he doesn't say.

Maybe it killed him already.

I think that is version 1.2 of the fork. They have 2.0 now, which I am coveting.

Last edited by Cyclist0108; 05-11-19 at 10:27 AM.
Old 05-11-19, 12:11 PM
Hondo Gravel
Life Feeds On Life

Bikes: Too many Motobecanes

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 4413 Post(s)
Liked 4,524 Times in 3,026 Posts
The last thing I bought? A Kool Stop tire wrench to get these tight fitting modern tires on my rims no more sore thumbs and busted knuckles. The tool fits easily into my frame bag.
Old 05-11-19, 07:49 PM
TimothyH
- Soli Deo Gloria -

They have 2.0 now, which I am coveting.
Thou shall not...
Old 05-11-19, 07:51 PM
LeFreakyBone

So far, he doesn't say.

Maybe it killed him already.

I think that is version 1.2 of the fork. They have 2.0 now, which I am coveting.
Hahaha nope hasn’t killed me yet!
Correct, it is the 1.2 version of the fork. The 2.0 has even larger clearances than this one, and I believe it is what comes with their Trail Donkey frame.

I will say that I was initially a little bit nervous to ride with carbon (this is the first carbon part I’ve ever owned), but after getting in a good gravel ride today I can say it feels super sturdy and I am confident riding with it.

Originally Posted by tsmorr
Hard to go wrong with a route that brings you by Hill Farmstead - gorgeous area and amazing beer. Fan of Drop-In as well, although their taproom wasn't anything to write home about. I don't recall seeing Lawson's Finest Liquids on their route (they didn't use to have a taproom, but I just bought some of their beer the other day and the cans said something about there being a taproom now), and someone once told me that... Lost Nation I think it was, had a great taproom with attractive prices? Guy at Tour de Heifer, so I imagine it's a cycle friendly place.
Hill Farmstead is very appealing to me since it appears you cannot get it outside of that town. I’m a big fan of Lawson’s Sip of Sunshine! I really hope I can make this trip happen sooner than later.

Perfect. That's such a great website.

I'm planning the Dirty 130 soon. Maybe as a three day/two night trip.

I've also just done this... https://atlantabikerides.exposure.co...-bikes-dont-go

-Tim-
Nice! That Dirty 130 looks like it is in a super nice area of TN. I was out there a year ago on a motorcycle trip.
Old 05-11-19, 09:28 PM
RideMyLeMond

Bikes: 1972 Raleigh Professional, 1980 Raleigh Gran Sport (frame only), 1989 Diamondback Apex, 1997 LeMond Zurich, 2018 Specialized Diverge running R8020 Ultegra.

Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
A new wheelset that's going to make riding my 2018 Diverge on pavement oh so sweet. The wheels consist of DT-240 CLD hubs laced to HED Belgium + rims with DT Aerolight spokes in a 28 3x configuration. The stock wheelset (Axis Sport) were well more than a pound heavier. We'll see how these wheels hold up over time. I'm running Specialized Roubaix 30/32 tires to allow better coverage for a wider range of surface types. I'm looking at riding 80/20 pavement vs. simple trails and single track. Haven't yet ventured into tubeless as yet, maybe soon...
Old 05-12-19, 06:09 AM
ChinookTx

Bikes: Lynskey GR270

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 115 Post(s)
Liked 69 Times in 49 Posts

To match the original wheelset. This way I have a slick wheelset for commuting, and an aggressive knobby one for gravel/trails.
Old 05-12-19, 04:02 PM
ToppDogg

Bikes: 2023 Trek Checkpoint SL5, 2019 Jamis Renegade, 2018 Trek FX2

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 5 Posts

What did I just buy for my gravel bike?
A new gravel bike!

I ordered it in April and just took delivery today!
I got a Rodeo Labs Flaanimal 4.1. Working with Soren at the company made this an extremely easy process, and I give him a lot of credit for answering all of my questions and putting all my concerns at ease.

I have it built up with a Shimano 105 hydro groupset, Praxis Alba cranks, Easton EA50 cockpit, Easton EA70AX wheels, WTB Volt seat, WTB Nano 700x40 tires setup tubeless, and iSSi Flash III clipless pedals.

After a few years of researching bikes, coming close to buying, then backing out, I am super happy that i finally pulled the trigger!

It’s going to take me some time to get used to it, as every bike I’ve owned has been a single speed. This is also my first time using clipless pedals. I only got about 10ish miles on it so far, but I can say with absolute certainty that I love this bike and it will treat me well for many, many years!
I really like that one.
Likes For ToppDogg:
Old 05-12-19, 06:54 PM
tsmorr

Liked 7 Times in 5 Posts

Hill Farmstead is very appealing to me since it appears you cannot get it outside of that town. I’m a big fan of Lawson’s Sip of Sunshine! I really hope I can make this trip happen sooner than later.
If you want bottles/cans, yes, I believe you can only buy HF at their bottleroom. Also, not sure if they distribute all of their beers to the handful of restaurants I know carry them? Like, their IPAs? Not sure about those. They have a pretty wide selection on tap in their taproom.

As for restaurants that serve Hill Farmstead, Farmhouse Tap and Grille and Burlington, Prohibition Pig in Waterbury (on your map already), and I think Royalburger in South Royalston maybe, all serve at least some of their beers on the regular?

ETA: I haven't seen a total yet, but I did fail in my effort to stop buying parts for the bike I'm having built up: forgot about brakehangers and a few other sundry items. Hopefully not too expensive.
Old 05-12-19, 07:08 PM
Mitkraft

Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 11 Posts
Recently bought, finally installed, rode for the first time today a set of Crankbrothers Mallet DL pedals and a set of Salsa Woodchipper 2 bars. Love the pedals for the improved platform over the regular Mallets they replaced but they come with a slight weight penalty. The bars are so different that it will be a while before I can say for sure how I like them. This bike does double duty as a commuter so spends a fair amount of time on the road but I bought the bars with gravel use in mind. I wanted to try a set of slanted bars. Did 34 miles on the road today and thought the hoods were surprisingly comfortable. Still getting the feel for the hooks and drops.
Old 05-19-19, 09:40 AM
jan nikolajsen 
Mostly Mischief

Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked 58 Times in 24 Posts
Redshift ShockStop 'suspension' stem. First ride coming up.
Old 05-19-19, 11:14 AM
ChinookTx

Originally Posted by jan nikolajsen
Redshift ShockStop 'suspension' stem. First ride coming up.
Got one of those. I love it. Really takes the buzz off the handlebars. Don't expect them to feel like a RockShox fork but they do help!
Old 05-19-19, 04:18 PM
jan nikolajsen 
Mostly Mischief

Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked 58 Times in 24 Posts
Did you leave the stock dampers in place? Also interesting how the hoods have more spring than the end of the drops due to the lever arm.
Old 05-19-19, 05:25 PM
ChinookTx

Originally Posted by jan nikolajsen
Did you leave the stock dampers in place? Also interesting how the hoods have more spring than the end of the drops due to the lever arm.
I think I changed them initially, I was a lot heavier. I went back to the stock setup. The spring effect is a bit tricky at first but you quickly forget about it.
Old 05-19-19, 06:35 PM
rosefarts
With a mighty wind

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1086 Post(s)
Liked 859 Times in 488 Posts
A brand new high polished obsolete thing that nobody gets to see ever again!

Old 05-20-19, 09:21 PM
Jakedatc

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 7 Posts
Giro Cylinder shoes from gravel and CX.. my mtn bike shoes don't have any ventilation and get too hot in the summer
Old 05-21-19, 05:58 PM
DarKris

Bikes: Kona Kahuna DL Drop Bar - Sensah SRX Pro 1x11 (2012 Frame), Giant Toughroad GX 1 - Shimano Road Hydro + SLX 1x10 (2018), Diamondback Sync'r - SRAM NX 1x12 (2020)

Quoted: 160 Post(s)
Liked 97 Times in 54 Posts
Got a good price on a Shimano Metrea crankset. Which is good because afaik it’s the only one with a chain guard and it actually clears my chainstay

Old 05-23-19, 08:14 AM
TimothyH
- Soli Deo Gloria -

My carbon frame is seeing some abrasion from bikepacking bags so I just ordered a roll of Shelter tape.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.