Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Transporting a bike... by bike!

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Old 08-07-17, 08:32 PM
corrado33

Bikes: 199? Landshark Roadshark, 198? Mondonico Diamond, 1987 Panasonic DX-5000, 1987 Bianchi Limited, Univega... Chrome..., 1989 Schwinn Woodlands, Motobecane USA Record, Raleigh Tokul 2

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1131 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I've tried many... many times to figure out a way to transport a bike with a bike. Most of them involved somehow attaching a bike to a trailer. None of them ever worked. The bike always flopped sideways. So today I tried something different and... well... it worked... sorta.

The problem it has is that there is no freedom of movement in the y direction (up). So if I went over a speed bump or through a significant dip, bad things would happen. Well, it wasn't too terrible. The cording I used was stretchy, so it soaked up the bumps. Luckily the road between where I started and where I ended was good and flat. It made it 5 miles home.

Basically I used three trucker's hitches. (Trucker's hitches are basically a rope's version of a ratchet strap. You can pull it very... very tight and it stays in place on it's own.) Two on the handlebars and one over the top tube. Then I pulled them tight. I shoved the fork dropouts on my rack on one of the cross supports. It probably would have worked a bit better if my rack had thinner tubing, as then the dropouts could have fit ONTO the tubing, instead of just sitting on top of it. The attachment was super secure regardless.

I know they make fork attachment mechanisms with quick releases for transporting bikes by truck, but that would run into the same problem as my setup, with no "rotational" freedom. So going over bumps or dips would be a problem. So any decent attachment would need to have two directions of freedom. Left and right, and up and down. Mine had plenty of the former, and only a touch of the latter. Optimally, if you could find a way to attach the front WHEEL securely without flopping, that would allow for two directions of freedom.

Have you found any better way to transport a bike by bike?

Last edited by corrado33; 08-07-17 at 08:42 PM.
Old 08-07-17, 09:01 PM
thumpism 
Bikes are okay, I guess.

Bikes: Waterford Paramount Touring, Giant CFM-2, Raleigh Sports 3-speeds in M23 & L23, Schwinn Cimarron oddball build, Marin Palisades Trail dropbar conversion, Nishiki Cresta GT

Mentioned: 69 Post(s)
Quoted: 2647 Post(s)
Liked 2,446 Times in 1,557 Posts
Take a look at my bike board, at the old front hubs with QRs that I use as fork mounts. Perhaps you could adapt something like this to attach to your rack; a piece of plank with a hub U-bolted to it and you would then clamp the plank to the rack. Good luck!
bike block in red van.jpg
Old 08-07-17, 09:16 PM
corrado33

Bikes: 199? Landshark Roadshark, 198? Mondonico Diamond, 1987 Panasonic DX-5000, 1987 Bianchi Limited, Univega... Chrome..., 1989 Schwinn Woodlands, Motobecane USA Record, Raleigh Tokul 2

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by thumpism
Take a look at my bike board, at the old front hubs with QRs that I use as fork mounts. Perhaps you could adapt something like this to attach to your rack; a piece of plank with a hub U-bolted to it and you would then clamp the plank to the rack. Good luck!
Oooo super good idea. I could even skip the board completely and attach the hub directly to my rack. We've got boxes of low level hubs at the shop. (We got donations from a shut down shop once, and the donations included literally (and I'm using that correctly) boxes of new front hubs that we will likely never... never use. I think there were low to mid range shimano hubs. Interestingly, bulk hubs come in a box with many many seperate compartments for each individual hub stacked vertically. (so you're looking at all the hubs from the side.)

Last edited by corrado33; 08-07-17 at 09:21 PM.
Old 08-08-17, 01:01 PM
rajarajan

Bikes: '07 Felt F85, '14 Cervelo S3

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have done this many times. If you are not on clipless pedals, its fairly easy for short/medium distances.
Old 08-08-17, 01:13 PM
corrado33

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by rajarajan
I have done this many times. If you are not on clipless pedals, its fairly easy for short/medium distances.
Yes, I've also ghostridden bike across town, but this particular time I had to ride on roads with no bike lane, so I wanted to be a bit... thinner than I would be if I were ghostriding a bike.

The trick when ghostriding a bike is that if the 2nd bike gets out of control, just lift the front wheel off the ground and it'll correct itself.
Old 08-08-17, 01:15 PM
gabe3366

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Nice, now try towing two bikes...
Old 08-08-17, 01:24 PM
coffeesnob

Bikes: Trek DS 8.3 - cannondale M500

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 2634 Post(s)
Liked 141 Times in 82 Posts
Originally Posted by corrado33
I've tried many... many times to figure out a way to transport a bike with a bike. Most of them involved somehow attaching a bike to a trailer. None of them ever worked. The bike always flopped sideways. So today I tried something different and... well... it worked... sorta.

The problem it has is that there is no freedom of movement in the y direction (up). So if I went over a speed bump or through a significant dip, bad things would happen. Well, it wasn't too terrible. The cording I used was stretchy, so it soaked up the bumps. Luckily the road between where I started and where I ended was good and flat. It made it 5 miles home.

Basically I used three trucker's hitches. (Trucker's hitches are basically a rope's version of a ratchet strap. You can pull it very... very tight and it stays in place on it's own.) Two on the handlebars and one over the top tube. Then I pulled them tight. I shoved the fork dropouts on my rack on one of the cross supports. It probably would have worked a bit better if my rack had thinner tubing, as then the dropouts could have fit ONTO the tubing, instead of just sitting on top of it. The attachment was super secure regardless.

I know they make fork attachment mechanisms with quick releases for transporting bikes by truck, but that would run into the same problem as my setup, with no "rotational" freedom. So going over bumps or dips would be a problem. So any decent attachment would need to have two directions of freedom. Left and right, and up and down. Mine had plenty of the former, and only a touch of the latter. Optimally, if you could find a way to attach the front WHEEL securely without flopping, that would allow for two directions of freedom.

Have you found any better way to transport a bike by bike?
easy peasy you have one hand on the handlebar you are on and the other on the one in tow. I used to do it all the time as a kid.
Old 08-08-17, 01:36 PM
BobbyG

Bikes: 2015 Charge Plug, 2007 Dahon Boardwalk, 1997 Nishiki Blazer, 1984 Nishiki International, 2006 Felt F65, 1989 Dahon Getaway V

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 1362 Post(s)
Liked 1,674 Times in 827 Posts
Cool!
Old 08-10-17, 09:58 AM
Tape2012

Bikes: 2017 Ribble CX5

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 704 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by corrado33
Oooo super good idea. I could even skip the board completely and attach the hub directly to my rack. We've got boxes of low level hubs at the shop. (We got donations from a shut down shop once, and the donations included literally (and I'm using that correctly) boxes of new front hubs that we will likely never... never use. I think there were low to mid range shimano hubs. Interestingly, bulk hubs come in a box with many many seperate compartments for each individual hub stacked vertically. (so you're looking at all the hubs from the side.)
You could try scavenging a lazy susan or an old swivel chair for the circular bearing. Mount the lazy susan to your rack and an old hub to the lazy susan.

The hub will give you freedom of movement over bumps and the circular bearing will give freedom of movement during turns.
Old 08-10-17, 06:53 PM
thumpism 
Bikes are okay, I guess.

Bikes: Waterford Paramount Touring, Giant CFM-2, Raleigh Sports 3-speeds in M23 & L23, Schwinn Cimarron oddball build, Marin Palisades Trail dropbar conversion, Nishiki Cresta GT

Mentioned: 69 Post(s)
Quoted: 2647 Post(s)
Liked 2,446 Times in 1,557 Posts
Originally Posted by Tape2012
The hub will give you freedom of movement over bumps and the circular bearing will give freedom of movement during turns.
Might be overkill. The headset of the towed bike provides that movement.
Old 08-10-17, 09:58 PM
joejack951

Bikes: 2016 Hong Fu FM-079-F, 1984 Trek 660, 2005 Iron Horse Warrior Expert, 2009 Pedal Force CX1, 2016 Islabikes Beinn 20 (son's)

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 1242 Post(s)
Liked 94 Times in 65 Posts
Anyone ever try mounting a trunk-mount bike rack onto their bike (likely on to a rear rack)? That could allow for carrying 2-3 bikes, if one could manage the weight distribution.
Old 08-11-17, 01:15 AM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Quoted: 18349 Post(s)
Liked 4,502 Times in 3,346 Posts
Hmmm, sounds a bit like déjà vu.

https://www.bikeforums.net/living-car...e-bicycle.html

I have a photo of my fork adapter (off the bike). It works reasonably well, although it gets the weight pretty high.

I don't think I'd want to tow two bikes that way, although there is a photo of a person who carries two bikes with the front wheels in a small trailer, and the rears rolling.
Old 08-11-17, 07:54 AM
locolobo13 

Bikes: Trek Mtn Bike

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 281 Post(s)
Liked 2,623 Times in 943 Posts
This is the only technique I'm familiar with.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/rollingspoke/16029543778
Old 08-11-17, 06:51 PM
corrado33

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by locolobo13
This is the only technique I'm familiar with.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/rollingspoke/16029543778
I've found it works better if you ride the lower bike and "hold" the taller bike. If you ride the tall/upright bike you'll be bending over a bunch to reach the low bike.
Old 08-11-17, 07:00 PM
corrado33

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by CliffordK
Hmmm, sounds a bit like déjà vu.

https://www.bikeforums.net/living-car...e-bicycle.html

I have a photo of my fork adapter (off the bike). It works reasonably well, although it gets the weight pretty high.

I don't think I'd want to tow two bikes that way, although there is a photo of a person who carries two bikes with the front wheels in a small trailer, and the rears rolling.
Ooo I like the trailers in that thread of yours, although they're a bit specific. I don't know why I'd ever have to transport more than two bikes at a time.

I really like the idea of a simple front hub as suggested above. That should be secure enough and provide all of the degrees of freedom that you'd need. If I could mount it low on the rack it'd be even better.
Old 08-11-17, 10:17 PM
pickettt

Bikes: DiamondBack Podium 7, Focus Raven 1.0, Ritchey BreakAway Cross, (2) Trek 8500, Paramount PDG 90, Trek T2000, Redline Flight Pro 24

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 160 Post(s)
Liked 57 Times in 33 Posts
If anyone's got a good idea for transporting a bike on a motorcycle, I'd be interested.
Old 08-11-17, 10:23 PM
CrankyOne

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 358 Post(s)
Liked 48 Times in 35 Posts
There's this:

Old 08-11-17, 10:24 PM
CrankyOne

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 358 Post(s)
Liked 48 Times in 35 Posts
Originally Posted by coffeesnob
easy peasy you have one hand on the handlebar you are on and the other on the one in tow. I used to do it all the time as a kid.
This.