Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Mountain Biking
Reload this Page >

Should I upgrade tires on new bike?

Search
Notices
Mountain Biking Mountain biking is one of the fastest growing sports in the world. Check out this forum to discuss the latest tips, tricks, gear and equipment in the world of mountain biking.

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-17, 04:29 PM
Jixr
Banned.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 99 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I recently picked up a new mtb, and the stock tires on it are kenda havoks.

I've never ridden a kenda tire I've liked, and i know these are cheap pencil eraser rubber tires. They are super heavy but I did go ahead and ditch the tubes which nearly weigh a pound each.

They are expensive, but I know on road bikes there is a massive difference in how it rides.

I'm wondering if I should go ahead and upgrade the tires to something nice or just rock what I have and upgrade them later on when play money is a bit more bountiful. The tread pattern i have now is fine for my area, but I've been reading how people have dropped over 2 lbs in rotating weight going tubeless and nicer tires.
Old 12-18-17, 04:35 PM
twodownzero

Bikes: Surly Disc Trucker, Ribble Nero Corsa, Surly Karate Monkey, Surly Ice Cream Truck, Cannondale MT800, Evil Insurgent

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 186 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Tires are the most important part of the bicycle and so yes, it would absolutely be a great idea to throw away what appear to be perfectly good, crappy tires and replace them with better ones.
Old 12-18-17, 11:17 PM
HerrKaLeun

Bikes: Giant Toughroad SLR1 and Motobecane Sturgis NX

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 900 Post(s)
Liked 231 Times in 168 Posts
Try them first. My strategy is if the tires are kind of OK, I ride them till they wear out and i reward myself with new ones. Wearing down bicycle parts is a badge of honor - it shows you actually use the bike.
Too many people just buy new bikes, and then buy new stuff... but don't ride a lot. ride the bike and over time you see what things you want to upgrade, and which parts are fine.
Old 12-18-17, 11:23 PM
Dave Cutter

Bikes: '17 Access Old Turnpike Gravel bike, '14 Trek 1.1, '13 Cannondale CAAD 10, '98 CAD 2, R300

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 1571 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 9 Posts
1st thing I do when I get a new (or nice used) bike.... is replace the saddle, and the pedals. After all I know what I like, want, and expect. I don't see anything wrong with having favorite tires either. Actually... I think you have a good idea there.
Old 12-19-17, 12:45 AM
DMC707

Bikes: Too many to list

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 1765 Post(s)
Liked 1,124 Times in 746 Posts
Life's too short to ride on sub par equipment

But that said -- everything Kenda makes is spot on and far superior to Maxxis --- (Long time Kenda user -- Nevegal, Small Block 8's, Slant Six, etc etc ) --- And my extremely loaded statement just goes to show that tire choice is an individual thing , --- even on my DH bike, I sought out Nevegal DH tires over the popular Minions as I greatly prefer the neutral feeling drift qualities of the rounder knobbed Kendas -- (Other people , yourself included - have different opinions and that's ok too ----- as an example I despise Lizard Skins grips, but love Oury's as an example -- some people don't care either way

Id give them a try to see if the tires are actually bad , or if past poor experiences are clouding your opinion --- If after 2 rides go by and your suspicions are confirmed , then heck yes -- get some new rubber !

Not to go on a side rant --- but ever since I have been working at pain in the ass "grown up jobs" for the last 20 years, --- my free time gets more and more valuable to me as the years go passing by , --- so much so that I don't want to waste a ride with a less than stellar experience if at all possible -- that's why I take time and spend a little bit when needed amaking sure my suspension and valving are dialed in for my weight, tires are on point, and the contact surfaces (seat, grips, bars, ) are dialed in and if that means spending a couple of bucks on top of what is already an expensive bike, so be it ------
Old 12-19-17, 02:52 PM
Jixr
Banned.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
the thing is kenda has cheap OEM versions of all their tires. For example the Small block eights which are very popular on cheap cyclocross bikes, are NOT the same tire compounds and performance of the Small block eight pro's you can buy on kendas website.

They just cheap out and have the same tread pattern and names on their OEM spec tires vs their true tires.
Old 12-24-17, 03:39 PM
buffalo4life

Bikes: 86 Trek 330 fixie, 2011 Trek 1.1, POS mb

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
My 2017 Raleigh Tokul 4130 came with Kenda Havocs 2.8s. I agree they are not the best tire. After trying them for a few months I replaced my front tire with a nice 3.0 Nobby Nic. I still run the kenda on the back and it rolls pretty quick but my front end has tons more grip with the tire swap. Being fairly cheap I would recommend trying out what you got especially if budget is tight. Of course tire selection will have a huge impact on your bikes performance.
Old 12-25-17, 09:37 AM
UtahRider

Bikes: 2017 Specialized Camber FSR

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
When these wear out I will make a decision at that time, to go same of different.
Old 12-25-17, 10:51 AM
Gallo

Bikes: 2019 KonaLibre- 2003 Litespeed Vortex -2016 Intense Spider Factory Build -2008 Wilier Mortorolio- Specialized Stumpjumper Hardtail converted to bafang 750 mid drive -1986 Paramount 2014 - --- Pivot Mach 429c

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 11 Posts
Originally Posted by TruthBomb
They are plus-sized tires which is one reason why they are heavier. They aren't especially heavy given their size when compared to some of the better tires - like the Minion DHF WT @ 945 g.

You're not going to lose 2 lbs of rotating weight unless you go with some pinner 1.95 race tires. Which would be stupid.

Ride them until they die.
Really Without knowing the terrain style of riding or the rider you can recommend staying with a tire?

My Kenda Slant Six which came stock with my bike I am sure are great for certain conditions. I read reviews and they are a good tire. They did not work for me at all. Switched them after 3 rides which all confirmed they were not the right tire for my conditions and riding style.

I would argue that tires are by far the most important part of your bike for dedicated off road riding. Figuring out what is best for you is more than important

Truth is riding the right tire is very important.

OP I would see what other riders at the same level as you and above are using for the same and similar trails. Weight should not be a factor unless racing and those tires should be saved for race day only.

Grip is everything for recreation riding in my opinion. I want to ride well and avoid copays

I am riding the minion dhf up front and a high roller in the rear by the way

Last edited by Gallo; 12-25-17 at 10:54 AM.
Old 12-28-17, 09:50 AM
Gallo

Bikes: 2019 KonaLibre- 2003 Litespeed Vortex -2016 Intense Spider Factory Build -2008 Wilier Mortorolio- Specialized Stumpjumper Hardtail converted to bafang 750 mid drive -1986 Paramount 2014 - --- Pivot Mach 429c

Originally Posted by TruthBomb
It would help if you re-read the original post and pay attention to "The tread pattern i have now is fine for my area" and "I've been reading how people have dropped over 2 lbs in rotating weight going tubeless and nicer tires" to understand the context of my reply.
I did read it and came to a different conclusion. I think more information is needed from the OP to advise. Your ride it till it dies might be the right answer and might not be.

The OP said

"I've never ridden a kenda tire I've liked" This indicates to me he does ride as he knows the brands

"i know these are cheap pencil eraser rubber tires" This indicates to me he does not fancy the tire

"They are expensive, but I know on road bikes there is a massive difference in how it rides." This indicates to me an experienced road cyclist based on that he is asking questions including rotational weight indicates that he has little experience with MTB and is asking a question

"The tread pattern i have now is fine for my area" Given that I had already and maybe falsely so concluded the OP had little experience on MTB I took this as a grain of salt and like your advice may or may not be true.

I looked at the pattern on the tire and my first impression is a tire for everything which means it could lack in many conditions. I am not sure however as I have not ridden the tire. If he were riding hard pack, fire trails and other easy type areas I would have the opinion they are fine.

But if he were pushing into area with varied terrain and trail conditions and a bit higher level the tires might or might not be sufficient.

And if you read my response I thought he should look at the tires of other riders on the same trail as he is riding at his level and higher. If most are running a wide space pattern block tire like the one referenced he is fine. If not he should chat them up and ask why their tire choice.

There is no on piece of equipment that means more than your front tire when on the trail. You can have the best bike with all the bells and whistles but if the front tire does not grip when you need it to you are hosed. Having the right tire at the wrong pressure you are hosed. If there is any one thing that means more than your tires on the trail. Different conditions and even riders to me would dictate different tire choices

So without the proper information TB if you are an experienced MTB'r which I assume you are I find your reply lacking based on the information given

your mileage might vary
Old 12-29-17, 03:35 PM
Jixr
Banned.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
For clarification, I'm an experience road rider, but fairly new to the mtb game. Aside from some old 26" budget bikes, this is my first modern mid level mtb.

But back on topic.

I found a used wheelset for sale that I'm thinking of jumping on. RaceFace ARC 40's with rotors, cassette, and Maxxis Minion DHR II tires for $350.

Considering those tires alone run about $75 a pop, I'm wondering if I should just pick these up. Lose a little weight, get nicer tires, hubs, cassette and rotors all in one go, Then sell my stock wheels/tires for $100 or so.
Old 12-29-17, 04:48 PM
UtahRider

Bikes: 2017 Specialized Camber FSR

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Jixr
For clarification, I'm an experience road rider, but fairly new to the mtb game. Aside from some old 26" budget bikes, this is my first modern mid level mtb.

But back on topic.

I found a used wheelset for sale that I'm thinking of jumping on. RaceFace ARC 40's with rotors, cassette, and Maxxis Minion DHR II tires for $350.

Considering those tires alone run about $75 a pop, I'm wondering if I should just pick these up. Lose a little weight, get nicer tires, hubs, cassette and rotors all in one go, Then sell my stock wheels/tires for $100 or so.
Sounds like the way to go.
Old 12-29-17, 08:37 PM
Jixr
Banned.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
yeah, its actually the exact size for my bike, and i'm tempted to go for it.
Old 01-02-18, 09:14 AM
Gallo

that seems like a good deal. just like road bikes upgraded wheels are a good investment on mtb