Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Questionable LBS practice

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-18, 04:16 PM
jackb

Bikes: Trek Domane SL5, Trek Checkpoint SL5, Cannndale Trail SE 4, Specialized Langster

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 162 Post(s)
Liked 134 Times in 72 Posts

I just bought a brand new road bike for over $2000 from a local LBS. Two weeks ago my wife bought a bike for over $3000 from the same shop. As it turns out, the stem that came with my bike was too long, so I had to change it out. The LBS gave me a 10 percent discount on the new one, but refused to exchange it for the one the bike came with at no charge. So I had to spend an additional $50 for the new stem. I never heard of this sort of thing before. Every bike I've ever bought had to have a stem change, yet is had always been a free exchange. Doesn't this sound a little unusual?
Old 06-08-18, 04:39 PM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene, Nashbar steel CX

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4733 Post(s)
Liked 1,532 Times in 1,003 Posts
Should a different length crank, or different width handlebar, or a saddlepost with a different amount of setback also be swapped out at no charge?
Old 06-08-18, 04:39 PM
blue192

Bikes: Norco Scene 1, Khs Westwood, Jamis Allegro 3x

Quoted: 142 Post(s)
Liked 74 Times in 47 Posts
I think the issue here is that you did not buy the original stem as it came with the bike. So in essence you are upgrading an existing bike with a new part and not simply exchanging a part. Now if you just bought a stem and decided it was the wrong one and exchanged it then I could see exchanging for store credit.
Old 06-08-18, 05:13 PM
Kontact 

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 4408 Post(s)
Liked 1,561 Times in 1,024 Posts
Yeah, your $2000 bike didn't come with a $55 stem, so you upgraded.
Old 06-08-18, 05:30 PM
puma1552

Bikes: '17 Colnago C-RS (Full 5800); '16 Specialized Sirrus Elite

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 363 Post(s)
Liked 62 Times in 40 Posts
I always wondered about this, if you buy a bike and part of the fit requires a new stem, do they really not just swap out the identical stem in a different length at no charge at the time of sale? I was under the impression they had stock of new parts specifically for this.

Personally I'd want the exact, identical stem my bike came with, just in the correct length needed for fit. Does seem ridiculous to have to pay extra for that (and have two stems) when they could just take off the stem the bike came with (it's still new) and just swap that out for whatever length from the back room and throw the one off my bike into the stem swap supply box.

Could just as easily have not bought the bike at all if the shop wasn't cool with a reasonable identical stem swap, then the LBS makes $0.

I'm with OP on this one. Shouldn't have to pay 2x for the stem the bike came with when this is a common fit swap part.

Last edited by puma1552; 06-08-18 at 05:36 PM.
Old 06-08-18, 05:41 PM
Lazyass

Mentioned: 66 Post(s)
Quoted: 2432 Post(s)
Liked 638 Times in 395 Posts
I seriously doubt bike shops stock the exact model stems of every bike they sell, of every length, just so they can swap them for free. As a matter of fact, I know they don't.
Old 06-08-18, 05:42 PM
mcours2006

Bikes: ...a few.

Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Quoted: 2012 Post(s)
Liked 409 Times in 235 Posts
You could sell your old stem and recoup the money that way. The LBS is under no obligation to sell it for you. At least you got a 10% discount. They have to run a business too.
Old 06-08-18, 05:45 PM
Kontact 

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 4408 Post(s)
Liked 1,561 Times in 1,024 Posts
Originally Posted by puma1552
I always wondered about this, if you buy a bike and part of the fit requires a new stem, do they really not just swap out the identical stem in a different length at no charge at the time of sale? I was under the impression they had stock of new parts specifically for this.

Personally I'd want the exact, identical stem my bike came with, just in the correct length needed for fit. Does seem ridiculous to have to pay extra for that (and have two stems) when they could just take off the stem the bike came with (it's still new) and just swap that out for whatever length from the back room and throw the one off my bike into the stem swap supply box.

Could just as easily have not bought the bike at all if the shop wasn't cool with a reasonable identical stem swap, then the LBS makes $0.

I'm with OP on this one. Shouldn't have to pay 2x for the stem the bike came with when this is a common fit swap part.
What a shop pays for a bike that comes with a Ritchey Expert stem is much less, parted out, than what the shop would have to pay for the same stem at wholesale. So if a shop happens to carry that same stem, they might be okay with putting the one that came with the bike back into inventory. But they do have to invest extra money in having stems to offer as the bike company sure doesn't send any spares along.

In this case, it sounds like the bike might have come with an no-name OEM stem and was replaced with a higher end aftermarket stem. Swapping them doesn't make any sense, and getting a different no-name OEM isn't going to happen, either.
Old 06-08-18, 06:15 PM
downhillmaster

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 980 Post(s)
Liked 776 Times in 402 Posts
Not questionable at all. Especially if it wasn’t discussed prior to purchase.
Old 06-08-18, 06:27 PM
prathmann

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 659 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by jackb
... the stem that came with my bike was too long, so I had to change it out. The LBS gave me a 10 percent discount on the new one, but refused to exchange it for the one the bike came with at no charge. So I had to spend an additional $50 for the new stem. I never heard of this sort of thing before.
Was this discussed with the LBS before or after you had agreed to buy the bike? I've had changes made, but they were discussed and agreed upon before the sale was finalized so both I and the shop knew exactly what we would be getting.
Old 06-08-18, 06:36 PM
Patriot1

Bikes: (2) 2019 Specialized Roll Sports, 1992 Merlin Road Ti, 1986 Schwinn Peloton, 2 Trek 920’s,

Quoted: 153 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 9 Posts
Originally Posted by Sy Reene
Should a different length crank, or different width handlebar, or a saddlepost with a different amount of setback also be swapped out at no charge?
Exactly.
Old 06-08-18, 06:46 PM
Rollfast
What happened?

Bikes: 3 Rollfasts, 3 Schwinns, a Shelby and a Higgins Flightliner in a pear tree!

Mentioned: 57 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1835 Post(s)
Liked 292 Times in 255 Posts
You spent $2000. Why didn't you do that while you were buying the bike? It's not a warranty issue. And your wife spend $3000 so I don't see poverty as the driving force. You saved five bucks on a necessary part.

No foul.
Old 06-08-18, 08:05 PM
Paul Barnard
For The Fun of It

Bikes: Lynskey GR300, Lynskey Backroad, Litespeed T6, Lynskey MT29, Burley Duet

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 2135 Post(s)
Liked 1,647 Times in 829 Posts
Most of the shops I have associated with have a bin of take off parts that they swap in instances like yours. I don't know of any that do free upgrades. I have had one that let me do an upgrade but charged me the difference between the two parts.
Old 06-08-18, 08:14 PM
BlazingPedals

Bikes: Trek 7500, RANS V-Rex, Optima Baron, Velokraft NoCom, M-5 Carbon Highracer, Catrike Speed

Quoted: 1514 Post(s)
Liked 734 Times in 455 Posts
It's pretty common for a shop to offer a discount on parts to customize a new bike, often with free labor to install it. Just about everyone wants a different saddle. Stem length is a pretty common change, too.
Old 06-08-18, 09:27 PM
Bmach

Quoted: 440 Post(s)
Liked 264 Times in 162 Posts
LBS can swap it out with another one they have laying around. That is what they did for me when I bought my bike.

Last edited by Bmach; 06-08-18 at 10:01 PM.
Old 06-08-18, 10:07 PM
McBTC

Bikes: 2015 22 Speed

Quoted: 1543 Post(s)
Liked 51 Times in 39 Posts
I wouldn't call it questionable. There's certainly no dishonesty involved. When I bought my last bike I made the best deal I could but it did involve paying an extra $100 to swap out the 175mm 105 cranks for 165s.
Old 06-08-18, 10:22 PM
HerrKaLeun

Bikes: Giant Toughroad SLR1 and Motobecane Sturgis NX

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 900 Post(s)
Liked 231 Times in 168 Posts
On the one hand for a $2K costumer ($5K if you include wife) they could have thrown in the 5 minutes labor it takes to swap the stem. they gave you 105 discount but may have a 305 margin, so they could have eaten the labor for a good client.

On the other hand, you could have ordered a stem for less online and installed it yourself (really easy). Assuming they told you the complete price for new stem and labor upfront, you made a choice and now you are complaining about the choice you made?
Old 06-08-18, 10:27 PM
Unapomer

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 12 Posts
Originally Posted by downhillmaster
Not questionable at all. Especially if it wasn’t discussed prior to purchase.
What downhillmaster said
Old 06-09-18, 04:06 AM
exmechanic89

Bikes: '00 Koga Miyata Full Pro Oval Road bike.

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 475 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 7 Posts
It's too bad the shop didnt have a bin of take-off stems they might've done a swap with, OP. I do understand your frustration, but agree with the others, replacing the stem with something out of their normal inventory isnt gonna happen in any shop - especially without prior discussion. The profits on bike sales isnt nearly what a lot of people imagine it would be.
Old 06-09-18, 06:17 AM
ph0rk

Bikes: A hauler, a commuter, and a steamroller.

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Some shops will do this sort of thing, but I'm sure they end up with a surplus of 80, 90, and 100mm stems around 7 degrees. But, if they don't need to do that, you gotta pay for the stem. I've bought several and they've all been worth it.

If they don't do that as a matter of course, they probably won't stock lots of the affordable stems, either.
Old 06-09-18, 06:26 AM
Paul Barnard
For The Fun of It

Bikes: Lynskey GR300, Lynskey Backroad, Litespeed T6, Lynskey MT29, Burley Duet

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 2135 Post(s)
Liked 1,647 Times in 829 Posts
Originally Posted by HerrKaLeun
On the one hand for a $2K costumer ($5K if you include wife) they could have thrown in the 5 minutes labor it takes to swap the stem. they gave you 105 discount but may have a 305 margin, so they could have eaten the labor for a good client.

On the other hand, you could have ordered a stem for less online and installed it yourself (really easy). Assuming they told you the complete price for new stem and labor upfront, you made a choice and now you are complaining about the choice you made?
I didn't see the OP as being a complaint. He was questioning the way they handled the whole of his transaction. He did what reasonable people do in a situation like that. He bounced his thoughts off a bunch of people and weighed their comments in developing his own position. I think he's finding out that most of us think his bike shop did what most shops would do, and that it was reasonable.
Old 06-09-18, 06:44 AM
dennis336

Bikes: Trek Domane, Surly Disc Trucker

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 170 Post(s)
Liked 103 Times in 68 Posts
When I bought a new bike at my LBS I swapped out the handlebars (based on specs from a bike fit I had done from my older bike) and the saddle. The LBS charged me the delta of the cost of the original handlebars/saddle and the ones swapped in. No extra labor charge. That seemed fair (was a $2,000 bike).
Old 06-09-18, 09:39 AM
McBTC

Bikes: 2015 22 Speed

Quoted: 1543 Post(s)
Liked 51 Times in 39 Posts
Originally Posted by Paul Barnard
I didn't see the OP as being a complaint. ,,

Dictionary

The connotation of the word is that of calling honesty into question

ques·tion·a·ble
ˈkwesCHənəb(ə)l/
adjectiveadjective: questionable
  1. doubtful as regards truth or quality."it is questionable whether any of these exceptions is genuine"synonyms:controversial, contentious, doubtful, dubious, uncertain, debatable, arguable;More
    unverified, unprovable, unresolved, unconvincing, implausible, improbable;borderline, marginal, moot;informaliffy
    "the premise to the argument remains questionable"

antonyms:indisputable, certain

• not clearly honest, honorable, or wise."a few men of allegedly questionable character"synonyms:suspicious, suspect, dubious, irregular, odd, strange, murky, dark, unsavory, disreputable;More
      informalfunny, fishy, shady, iffy
      "questionable financial dealings"

antonyms: trustworthy

Old 06-09-18, 09:44 AM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10964 Post(s)
Liked 7,490 Times in 4,189 Posts
What was the stem you took off and the stem you bought?

its matter to me for sure. Removing some generic Bontrager stem and replacing it with a $55 stem isnt an even swap.
Old 06-09-18, 10:17 AM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
Doesn't this sound a little unusual?
No, Just resell it online , yourself..

you over it yet>?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.