Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Lifting my leg to dismount

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Lifting my leg to dismount

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-18, 02:03 PM
crobertrose
Rider

Bikes: 1976 Raleigh Grand Prix, 1978 Peugeot, 1988 Bridgestone RB2, 1990 Trek 830, 2018 Fuji Jari 1.3

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 3 Posts
Lean more

Yep, I have to lean the bike more than in the past. Its still all good but took some getting used to at first. Different body motions.
Old 12-10-18, 02:04 PM
sabele

Bikes: Basso Loto, Andre Bertain, Schwinn Madison, Litespeed Unicoi, Easton full sustension, Macau non-suspended MTN, Merlin Agilis, A-D Superlicht, Daccordi Piuma, Scott CR1 (former owner Thomas Frischnecht), Van Diesel CX, Alan Top Cross, Scattante CX, Ri

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 11 Posts
Being 67 myself and a long-time althea (in very general terms), I had hip issues from doing gymnastics with a lot of tumbling until I was 38. Had a bilateral hip replacement Apr 20, 2011. Rode 20 miles in less than 2 weeks on the road. Before my surgery I also could not ride only because I could not lift my leg to get on or off the bike.

Get your hips checked
Old 12-10-18, 02:08 PM
KraneXL

Bikes: Cannondale Quick SL1 Bike - 2014

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quoted: 3405 Post(s)
Liked 240 Times in 185 Posts
Originally Posted by Arthur Peabody
I made my original argument flippantly, but it has 4 serious aspects:
1) I wouldn't pay to join a gym; I exercise at home and in the real world, so being in a program that 'prepays' for it makes the difference;

2) Ideally 'free' gym memberships save money; they will if they avoid greater medical costs;

3) The insurance company makes money or it goes out of business. It gets money from the government. It's not a charity;

4) Medicare hasn't collected enough money to pay for all the medical care recipients are scheduled to receive. Up to now, the average recipient receives 3 times what s/he has paid in.

I shop, often have significant weight loaded on the rear rack.
Not sure how that would interfere? The lean should lower the bike then you step into it. Oh well.

Old 12-10-18, 02:40 PM
Grampa

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
This has been a great discussion. All my running buddies either are dead or switched to bicycling. Nonetheless, those of us who have done both have had to adapt, including me, the grateful owner of two Mobie-C prosthetic cervical disks and a troublesome left degenerative hip, which I call the handwriting on the wall. I still have my trusty hybrid commute bike, and actually now that I can crank my head back again have actually been dreaming of the wonderful road bike fun of attacking a mountain standing up. But how would I get off the thing?
As somebody already mentioned, my best friend besides my dog is now my trike, a Scorpion FS 26 with a rear pedal-assist Copenhagen wheel, which allows me and my 52 lb trike to keep up on those uphills with my younger two wheeler friends. I have no trouble getting on and off, and sitting clipped in at a red light is like being in a Lazy Boy.
Regarding postural exercise, I go to a Taoist Tai Chi Center (Portland) and practice the health recovery exercises, which have made me an inch taller, made my belly flat, and helped reduce the hip pain and allowed me again to run. (My head injury from a 2001 contact with a Ford Expedition make the 108 steps of Tai Chi too positionally difficult to master.)
Happy ageing!
Old 12-10-18, 04:08 PM
etsisk

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by cambiker71
As easy as riding a bicycle...

https://www.wikihow.com/Mount-a-Bicycle
shoot, If I was riding a little kid's bike like that guy I wouldn't have any trouble either!!
Old 12-10-18, 05:40 PM
Arthur Peabody

Quoted: 250 Post(s)
Liked 110 Times in 66 Posts
Originally Posted by KraneXL
Not sure how that would interfere? The lean should lower the bike then you step into it.
I have to lift it up again. Because all the weight's in the rear, the front kicks up, off the ground, I drop it. This happens to me occasionally now.

The bicycle in the picture is way short, as the length of the seat post shows.
Old 12-10-18, 06:15 PM
Carbonfiberboy 
just another gosling

Bikes: CoMo Speedster 2003, Trek 5200, CAAD 9, Fred 2004

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Quoted: 3886 Post(s)
Liked 1,938 Times in 1,383 Posts
My bike and my gym have long been the best doctors I've ever had. I'm as flexible and strong as I was 55 years ago. Thus I have no problems mounting or dismounting from my single bike. I'm short-legged, so I can't flip my leg over the bars like my more talented compatriots, but I easily mount either foot-on-ground or foot-on-pedal and dabbing. Our tandem is more complicated because dear Stoker has aero bars. So with the tandem, my wife stands beside the bike and guides my foot inside the bar and over the saddle. So there's a proposal for you: get a tandem.
Old 12-10-18, 09:33 PM
slowrevs

Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by winston63
I agree with the above: I have to lean the bike at a fairly ridiculous angle for both mounting/dismounting. It's not usually a problem except when I've got a loaded touring bike.

And due to my lack of flexibility and this issue, I'm very thankful for sloping top tubes!
I take a loaded mountain bike with a box and folding aluminum beach chair to the beach a number of times every summer.

Can't lift my leg over chair and box when mounting so I get going and fold it in toward me over the top tube. Works great both ways.

Unloaded, I find tipping the bike the safest way to dismount.
Old 12-10-18, 10:19 PM
KraneXL

Bikes: Cannondale Quick SL1 Bike - 2014

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quoted: 3405 Post(s)
Liked 240 Times in 185 Posts
I have to lift it up again. Because all the weight's in the rear, the front kicks up, off the ground, I drop it. This happens to me occasionally now.

The bicycle in the picture is way short, as the length of the seat post shows.
Got it. What about trying the curb mount then?
Old 12-11-18, 08:46 AM
big john

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 8278 Post(s)
Liked 9,033 Times in 4,471 Posts
Originally Posted by linberl
The BB on my Bike Friday is a LOT lower to the ground than on my 700c bike.
I would think it's about the same, around 12 inches? Seems like it couldn't be too low or your pedal would hit the ground when turning, unless you are using super short cranks. I know some fixed gear riders use 160mm cranks for this reason.
Old 12-11-18, 10:24 AM
linberl

Bikes: Trident Spike 2 recumbent trike w/ e-assist

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 1321 Post(s)
Liked 374 Times in 288 Posts
Originally Posted by big john
I would think it's about the same, around 12 inches? Seems like it couldn't be too low or your pedal would hit the ground when turning, unless you are using super short cranks. I know some fixed gear riders use 160mm cranks for this reason.
Varies, depends on the folding bike. Compare the Bike Friday Pocket Rocket to the Pocket Llama, for example, which is meant for offroad so the BB is higher whereas the Pocket Rocket is a road bike so lower. My 16" Bike Friday IS lower than my Trek and, yes, the cranks are shorter (as am I).
Old 12-12-18, 10:19 AM
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile

Bikes: Vaterland and Ragazzi

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 1,535 Times in 1,045 Posts
2) Ideally 'free' gym memberships save money; they will if they avoid greater medical costs;
A gym membership that is not "free" will also save the user money if he/she avoids greater medical costs, though not quite as much as with a so-called "free" membership.
Old 12-12-18, 04:35 PM
dannwilliams
Its only pain

Bikes: '18 Salsa Marrakesh, '14 Salsa Colossal, '89 GT Timberline

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by bargeon
Funny, in my years of riding it never occurred to me to mount a bike that way, seems cumbersome. Always swung up over the back
wheel. Maybe we need a poll on the subject.
I now do it over the top bar occasionally, since hip replacement. When the hip bothers, painful to swing it back over the seat.
Old 12-13-18, 02:07 AM
Cycle Tourist

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 195 Post(s)
Liked 207 Times in 126 Posts
Originally Posted by wphamilton
Leaning the bike over and stepping over the top tube is one way that people who have lost some flexibility mount the bike. It;s not that unusual. I have to do that on my hard-shell bike because there's no place to swing my leg. I am moving the bike forward slightly as I step off.

You might also try the "cowboy mount", stepping on the pedal and starting the bike forward as you swing your leg over the seat while the bike is in motion.
I'v seen many folks particularly in the Netherlands use this method. Left foot on the pedal and push down and swing right foot over from behind the saddle and settle in.
Old 12-13-18, 08:58 AM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5224 Post(s)
Liked 3,581 Times in 2,342 Posts
Wifey has been happy with the Trek FX Stagger I got for her

Old 12-13-18, 03:10 PM
chelvel

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 82 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Carbonfiberboy
I'm short-legged
That's what I thought... When I read you in a Fit Forum.
Old 12-13-18, 03:15 PM
chelvel

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
... double post ...

Last edited by chelvel; 12-14-18 at 03:54 PM.
Old 12-13-18, 03:16 PM
chelvel

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

You get the idea.