Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Correct 700c rims for 1973 Paramount?

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-19, 12:07 AM
Olympianrider

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Hello all,

I wanted to post a note here because I'm thinking some of you with greater experience may be able to offer guidance. The other day I was contemplating the purchase of a modern carbon-fiber frame when I took a peek at eBay and found the bike I'd wanted back in high school. In my color, my size, my price, and from a seller just a couple hours away. So now I am the owner of a reddish-orange 1973 Schwinn Paramount 10-9 with the chrome Nervex lugs and everything else that makes bike people giddy. The modern-bike purchase has been put off another year.

Forty years ago I saw one on the wall of a Schwinn shop in Spokane. The salesman explained it was what the serious riders used -- there was nothing better in the world. In high school I couldn't afford a $700 bicycle. That's about what I paid the other night.

Now, there's a lot of stuff that's going to need to be changed out in order to put it back to original, in my preferred configuration. Most of it I understand fully, after building another similar-vintage bike from the frame up. And I recognize the importance of getting everything right on a bike like this one. But one part throws me. The rims.

I get the idea, perusing various vintage-bike websites, that this bike came originally only with Weinmann 27-inch rims. That size is what most everybody used at the time. But I much prefer 700c rims, and dang it, that's what I'm going to use. (Of course, with the Campy Nuovo Record high-flange hubs.)

Was there a 700c option on the 1973 Paramount?

If so, what was the manufacturer and model name?

Is there a new rim that looks the same as the original equipment, but in 700c size?

And finally, I've always had this idea that rims wear out, and using a vintage rim is a bad idea. But is it? Keep in mind, this is a bike that's going to get used, not hang on the wall.

Thanks,

Erik Smith
Olympia, Wash.

Last edited by Olympianrider; 05-22-19 at 12:16 AM. Reason: typo
Old 05-22-19, 12:26 AM
Wildwood 
Veteran, Pacifist

Bikes: Bikes??? Thought this was social media?!?

Mentioned: 284 Post(s)
Quoted: 3898 Post(s)
Liked 4,830 Times in 2,228 Posts
Not a Paramount expert, but if you are putting 700c - might as be tubulars with silver rims - and tan walls.
'It was what the serious riders used.'
Old 05-22-19, 12:58 AM
merziac

Bikes: Merz x 5 + Specialized Merz Allez x 2, Strawberry/Newlands/DiNucci/Ti x3, Gordon, Fuso/Moulton x2, Bornstein, Paisley,1958-74 Paramounts x3, 3rensho, 74 Moto TC, 73-78 Raleigh Pro's x5, Marinoni x2, 1960 Cinelli SC, 1980 Bianchi SC, PX-10 X 2

Mentioned: 267 Post(s)
Quoted: 4510 Post(s)
Liked 6,377 Times in 3,667 Posts
Originally Posted by Olympianrider
Hello all,

I wanted to post a note here because I'm thinking some of you with greater experience may be able to offer guidance. The other day I was contemplating the purchase of a modern carbon-fiber frame when I took a peek at eBay and found the bike I'd wanted back in high school. In my color, my size, my price, and from a seller just a couple hours away. So now I am the owner of a reddish-orange 1973 Schwinn Paramount 10-9 with the chrome Nerves lugs and everything else that makes bike people giddy. The modern-bike purchase has been put off another year.

Forty years ago I saw one on the wall of a Schwinn shop in Spokane. The salesman explained it was what the serious riders used -- there was nothing better in the world. In high school I couldn't afford a $700 bicycle. That's about what I paid the other night.

Now, there's a lot of stuff that's going to need to be changed out in order to put it back to original, in my preferred configuration. Most of it I understand fully, after building another similar-vintage bike from the frame up. And I recognize the importance of getting everything right on a bike like this one. But one part throws me. The rims.

I get the idea, perusing various vintage-bike websites, that this bike came originally only with Weinmann 27-inch rims. That size is what most everybody used at the time. But I much prefer 700c rims, and dang it, that's what I'm going to use.

Was there a 700c option on the 1973 Paramount?

If so, what was the manufacturer and model name?

Is there a new rim that looks the same as the original equipment, but in 700c size?

And finally, I've always had this idea that rims wear out, and using a vintage rim is a bad idea. But is it? Keep in mind, this is a bike that's going to get used, not hang on the wall.

Thanks,

Erik Smith
Olympia, Wash.
So gotta say it, "pics or it didn't happen". As far as the wheels, Super Champion would be one of the main choices if you can find some NOS in the right hole count, they would likely be cost prohibitive for regular use.
Old 05-22-19, 03:56 AM
pastorbobnlnh 
Freewheel Medic

Bikes: Snazzy* Schwinns, Classy Cannondales & a Super Pro Aero Lotus (* Ed.)

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Quoted: 1452 Post(s)
Liked 2,194 Times in 962 Posts
While the 1973 P-13 would have come equipped with tubular 700c wheels, it would not be unusual for the owner of a P-10 to upgrade the 27" clinchers to a tubular wheelset. In fact, if the bike was ordered at the Schwinn LBS (as opposed to being on the showroom floor), the customer could have easily specified tubulars at that time.

I bought a '71 P-13 frameset about a decade ago. Originally I had a set of 27" clinchers (that just barely fit). I eventually found a set of vintage Hi-E hubs/Fiamme rims tubular wheels and oh how the ride is exquisite! Keep an eye on ebay, CL and the C&V classified for good deals on vintage tubular wheel sets. Even if they don't have the Campy high flange hubs, they will be worth the effort.

Thanks for visiting my website: www.freewheelspa.com

Likes For pastorbobnlnh:
Old 05-22-19, 04:04 AM
Bianchigirll 
Bianchi Goddess

Bikes: Too many to list here check my signature.

Mentioned: 192 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2930 Post(s)
Liked 2,923 Times in 1,491 Posts
I am no expert but wasn’t there lots of options available for a Paramount? So unless you have the build sheet how can you be sure what is “original”.

As others mentioned silver tubulars are the mostly likely choice �� but I think a nice box section clincher like the Sun CR 18 would look good and pretty correct on it.

Sugar "Kane" Kowalczyk
Likes For Bianchigirll:
Old 05-22-19, 05:58 AM
TenGrainBread 

Mentioned: 52 Post(s)
Quoted: 1136 Post(s)
Liked 650 Times in 336 Posts
Using vintage rims is ok but I usually only do so I there is little to no use on them.

If you get to vintage clinchers, I would get hooked rims. Something from the 80s. I got Wolber Super Champion Alpines when I upgraded my 70s Schwinn to 700c clinchers.
Old 05-22-19, 06:14 AM
big chainring 

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 751 Post(s)
Liked 727 Times in 351 Posts
700c clincher wheels wasnt an option in '73. I dont think you would see any bike with 700's until Raleigh put them on the Super Course in '77. 27" rims and tires were standard well into the 80's.

Schwinn ran with Weinmann rims for many years. A pair of Weinmann Concave rims would be a nice option.
Old 05-22-19, 06:19 AM
bikemig 

Bikes: A bunch of old bikes and a few new ones

Mentioned: 178 Post(s)
Quoted: 5888 Post(s)
Liked 3,471 Times in 2,079 Posts
I'd built 700c clinchers for that bike and I wouldn't sweat using a modern, quality rim that would look right on a vintage bike like the H plus son TB 14:

TB14 | H PLUS SON

If I were looking for vintage rims, I'd get the Mavic MA 2s. Before I pay good money for a vintage rim, I'd hunt around for a decent period correct clincher wheelset. They're out there. Used rims are a bit of a crap shoot and NOS vintage rims are expensive.
Old 05-22-19, 06:20 AM
63rickert

Mentioned: 44 Post(s)
Quoted: 1090 Post(s)
Liked 331 Times in 247 Posts
Vintage Weinmann exist in 700 though they will be a bit hard to find as here in US everyone was still on 27. They are good rims but not that strong, always vulnerable to damage. Without a hook better to use them with steel-beaded tires or at least keep the pressure down.

1973 was right about when the Super Champion #58 rim began to be popular. Again they exist in 700 and will be hard to find. Ten years ago they were priced crazy, you can get them now for less than most better new rims. An extremely strong and tough rim, lasts at least as long as anything new. Has bead hooks. Wide enough to be comfortable with tires as wide as an original Schwinn LeTour or wider if you want. Only imaginable downside is they are a little heavier than most (not all) new rims.

Slightly later rims are labeled as 'Gentleman' and even later ones are Wolber Gentleman but all same rim as a #58 .

Closest current production rims with a vintage look would be Pacenti Brevet or H+Son TB14.

Unless you are seeking very rare rims, much scarcer than what's being discussed, use NOS rims on a rider. They are out there.
Likes For 63rickert:
Old 05-22-19, 06:44 AM
Hudson308 
Mr. Anachronism

Bikes: fillet-brazed Chicago Schwinns, and some other stuff

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 526 Post(s)
Liked 256 Times in 165 Posts
My '72 Paramount came with Weinmann AG Alesa 210 clinchers from the factory.

One popular option for "serious" riders back then was the substitution of Fiamme Ergal gold label (700c) tubulars, such as these.
They have a reputation for being very light, and a bit fragile. "Serious" riders accepted this, and spent the extra effort and $$$ to have them trued or replaced when needed.
These Fiamme yellow label rims are a bit more robust. Replacement labels for both types are readily available.
Old 05-22-19, 07:09 AM
PilotFishBob 
So it goes.

Bikes: A few. Quite a few.

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 432 Post(s)
Liked 639 Times in 261 Posts
Sometimes better to forego the old and use the new, at least as far as the wallet is concerned... +1 on the H+Son TB14's, box section rims that both look and ride great and both my Paramounts wear them. Velo Orange has a sale on their PBP and Raid rims, also very nice looking and less expensive than the TB14's, I purchased a set of Raids for later use. And the Sun Rims CR18's look good, not quite as nice as the others but close and even less expensive.. Any of those have the right look you're after. .

Last edited by PilotFishBob; 05-22-19 at 07:13 AM.
Old 05-22-19, 07:27 AM
unterhausen
Randomhead

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 3,694 Times in 2,516 Posts
clinchers were not that great in '73 and I didn't see anything as small as 25mm until a little later than 73. But I did have a set that fit on my racing bike in '75 or '76. I'm pretty sure those were 27x1" which I would swap for tubulars on race day. Tubulars were starting to get a bit expensive for a high schooler at that time, although I had some Wobler CX tubulars that sold for $10. 700c clincher rims weren't real common in the U.S. until later in the '70s.

Even non-racers would often ride on tubular tires, it was just what you did back then. Every bike shop had them.
Old 05-22-19, 07:55 AM
Bandera
~>~

Mentioned: 87 Post(s)
Quoted: 1112 Post(s)
Liked 180 Times in 119 Posts
Hudson308;My '72 Paramount came with Weinmann AG Alesa 210 clinchers from the factory.
Yep, the common OEM set-up for both P-10 & P-15 in the era with either the plush 27X1 1/4 Schwinn LeTour or 27X1 1/8 Schwinn skin-wall tires fitted.
Modern rims and tires are arguably "better" but the OEM set-up worked just fine.

-Bandera
Old 05-22-19, 07:57 AM
Salamandrine 

Bikes: 78 Masi Criterium, 68 PX10, 2016 Mercian King of Mercia, Rivendell Clem Smith Jr

Mentioned: 120 Post(s)
Quoted: 2317 Post(s)
Liked 597 Times in 430 Posts
As already mentioned by others, there are no correct 700c clincher rims because they hadn't been introduced yet in 1973 (at least in N. America). When 700c first became available it was mostly as a convenience for racers who wanted to swap training clinchers with race day wheels (sew ups) without having to readjust the brakes. It was a small niche.

If you really want to be concours correct about it, the wheels have to be shod with either vintage Weinmann 27" rims, or tubulars.

Vintage clinchers sucked. Both the tires and the rims. Therefore, I'd suggest not being to OCD about it and using a modern rim with a polished finish instead. TB14, Sun M13II, etc. Nobody will be able to tell from 6 feet away.

Or put sew ups on it...
Old 05-22-19, 09:12 AM
Ex Pres 
Cat 6

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Quoted: 500 Post(s)
Liked 183 Times in 118 Posts
Silver tubulars
Old 05-22-19, 09:53 AM
3alarmer 
Friendship is Magic

Bikes: old ones

Mentioned: 304 Post(s)
Quoted: 26402 Post(s)
Liked 10,374 Times in 7,203 Posts
Originally Posted by Olympianrider

Thanks,

Erik Smith
Olympia, Wash.
...in my personal experience, I usually ride the bikes I own that have tubular rims and tyres way less than the ones with more modern rims and high performance modern clincher tyres.

Just last winter I built up five or six wheelsets to swap out for the tubulars on the bikes that have them. If you go with a a modern lightweight alloy rim like the H plus sons one mentioned, or maybe a Mavic Open Elite (which is bargain priced by one seller on e-bay), and buy a quality high pressure, lightweight tyre in something like a 700x25c, you can get a ride that is not far off the ride of tubulars. It's just a lot more sensible for something that gets ridden because the tyres are more easily repaired when flatted.

Anyway, that's what I do. I have a red early 70's P13 that came to me with what were said to be the original wheels, and they are tubulars. I hardly ever ride it. I have a P15, and the originals on that bike were said to be clinchers. Even in the 70's, very few people were bold enough to tour on tubular tyres.
Likes For 3alarmer:
Old 05-22-19, 10:07 AM
JaccoW
Overdoing projects

Bikes: Batavus Randonneur GL, Gazelle Orange Excellent, Gazelle Super Licht, Gazelle Grand Tourist, Gazelle Lausanne, Gazelle Tandem, Koga-Miyata SilverAce, Koga-Miyata WorldTraveller

Mentioned: 58 Post(s)
Quoted: 784 Post(s)
Liked 1,238 Times in 686 Posts
Another +1 for the H+Son TB14's. I recently build a set to replace Weinmann concave 700C wheels.

Like a few others have mentioned already, alternatives are Velo Orange rims, Pacenti Brevet (also 650B), Cycles Grand Bois and SunXCD.

Last edited by JaccoW; 05-22-19 at 04:39 PM.
Likes For JaccoW:
Old 05-22-19, 10:49 AM
ThermionicScott 
working on my sandal tan

Bikes: 1991 Bianchi Eros, 1964 Armstrong, 1988 Diamondback Ascent, 1988 Bianchi Premio, 1987 Bianchi Sport SX, 1980s Raleigh mixte (hers), All-City Space Horse (hers)

Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
Quoted: 3871 Post(s)
Liked 2,568 Times in 1,579 Posts
Another vote for tubulars.
People in this forum are not typical.
RUSA #7498
Old 05-22-19, 11:08 AM
squirtdad

Bikes: Kirk Custom JK Special, '84 Team Miyata,(dura ace old school) 80?? SR Semi-Pro 600 Arabesque

Mentioned: 106 Post(s)
Quoted: 2337 Post(s)
Liked 2,820 Times in 1,540 Posts
put me in the tubular vote....

Old 05-22-19, 12:52 PM
Dfrost 

Bikes: ‘87 Marinoni SLX Sports Tourer, ‘79 Miyata 912 by Gugificazione

Mentioned: 166 Post(s)
Quoted: 500 Post(s)
Liked 466 Times in 256 Posts
+N for polished TB-14’s, of which I have two 700C sets, and the Pacenti Brevets (have a 650B pair of these) are also very nice, less weight, higher price.

If you go with clinchers, which I’d recommend if you’re planning to put serious miles on this beauty as you say (let’s see some photos!), I’d also recommend Rene Herse tires in the largest size that will fit. They remind me of the Clement sew-ups of my distant past. Love my 28’s, 32’s and 650x38’s!

https://www.renehersecycles.com/prod...ts/tires/700c/(let’s see some photos!)

Don’t forget to put new brake pads on it, too! Even if the original ones look great, they are surely as hard as bricks by now.

And join us for C&V rides here in the upper left corner. They’re typically listed in this forum. We have them occasionally in and around Seattle, and the Portland folks have them even more often.

Last edited by Dfrost; 05-22-19 at 01:01 PM.
Old 05-22-19, 01:16 PM
dddd
Ride, Wrench, Swap, Race

Bikes: Cheltenham-Pedersen racer, Boulder F/S Paris-Roubaix, Varsity racer, '52 Christophe, '62 Continental, '92 Merckx, '75 Limongi, '76 Presto, '72 Gitane SC, '71 Schwinn SS, etc.

Mentioned: 132 Post(s)
Quoted: 1565 Post(s)
Liked 1,295 Times in 865 Posts
I really liked the TB14 rims for their vintage look, decent internal width and rock-solid construction.

I've also built with the Pacenti Brevit rims, lighter than the TB14's, wider-yet inside width, and with most credible vintage proportions, makes these quite special imo.

The TB14's are more robust and can be built up with higher tensions that the Brevits, so the loading should be considered when choosing one of these really fine modern rims.
I'm quite thankful to both of these vendors for stepping up with reasonably-priced products having the design features that seem perfect for us vintage riders.

The original Weinmann clinchers (though single-walled, so not as strong) are quite nice if they can contain the pressures that you want to put in the tires. Some Weinmann rims of this vintage seemed to have lax quality control in terms of diameter, I've seen a few that couldn't hold decent pressure in wire-bead Pasela tires but you can test for this by watching the tire beads as you inflate past your preferred riding pressure.
Many of the old hookless clincher rims could reliably handle 100psi using wire-bead tires, but experience with certain batches of the Weinmann rims led people to make blanket statements to the contrary.
Old 05-22-19, 07:17 PM
Slightspeed

Bikes: 1964 Legnano Roma Olympiade, 1973 Raleigh Super Course, 1978 Raleigh Super Course, 1978 Peugeot PR10, 2002 Specialized Allez, 2007 Specialized Roubaix, 2013 Culprit Croz Blade

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 741 Post(s)
Liked 818 Times in 421 Posts
I recently had a new wheelset built using CR18 rims on my Campy high flange hubs (originally laced to Fiamne Red Label tubulars). I thought they looked too wide and kind of chunky, but after mounting a set of Pasela 28s, I'm very happy with the look and the ride. The big stickers are easily removable if you feel the need. At $70 for the pair shipped, I'm very happy with them. My '64 Legnano is a rider, not a museum piece, and it handled this past Eroica just fine.

I recently acquired a '60 or '61 Legnano Gran Premio that came with Araya 700c clinchers, one hook rim, one not. They look good to me and seem to ride fine, currently with Gatorskin 25s, but don't have the high polish look of the CR18s.

Naked CR18.

My Legnano Roma on CR18s.

The Gran Premio on period Arayas (my $100 Clunker ride)

BTW since my first junior race on a 40 lb Schwinn Continental a Paramount has been on my bucket list for over 50 years. The Legnano Roma was my junior race bike.

Last edited by Slightspeed; 05-22-19 at 10:37 PM.
Old 05-22-19, 08:37 PM
Kactus

Bikes: 1962 Schwinn Paramount P12, 1971 Schwinn Paramount P13-9

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 344 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 20 Posts
According to the 1973 Schwinn catalog, a P15 would have come with 27" x 1-1/4" high pressure clincher tires standard. the brand of rim isn't specified but Weinmann seemed to be very common in this era. Two tubular options were offered. Wheels and tires aren't specified for the P10, but I would think they are the same.

https://www.schwinnbikeforum.com/SLDB...73xlite02b.jpg
Old 05-24-19, 07:23 AM
jeirvine 

Bikes: '72 Motobecane Grand Record, '72 Gitane tandem, '72 Raleigh Super Course, '73 Raleigh Gran Sport, '73 Colnago Super, '76 Fiorelli Coppi, '78 Raleigh SBDU Team Pro, '78 Trek 930, '81 Holdsworth Special 650B, '86 Masi GC, ’94 Bridgestone RB-T

Mentioned: 67 Post(s)
Quoted: 786 Post(s)
Liked 518 Times in 281 Posts
Originally Posted by Kactus
According to the 1973 Schwinn catalog, a P15 would have come with 27" x 1-1/4" high pressure clincher tires standard. the brand of rim isn't specified but Weinmann seemed to be very common in this era. Two tubular options were offered. Wheels and tires aren't specified for the P10, but I would think they are the same.

https://www.schwinnbikeforum.com/SLDB...73xlite02b.jpg
Thanks for the link. Any idea what the stock tubular rims would have been? "Schwinn approved aluminum alloy". Or was there no specified maker?
Old 05-24-19, 08:23 AM
repechage

Mentioned: 130 Post(s)
Quoted: 3464 Post(s)
Liked 2,828 Times in 1,995 Posts
Originally Posted by jeirvine
Thanks for the link. Any idea what the stock tubular rims would have been? "Schwinn approved aluminum alloy". Or was there no specified maker?
Way back I saw what could have been either Super Champion or Mavic relabeled as Schwinn Approved Tubular rims.
I would check the frame and fork to verify what the bike was constructed for, tubulars or 27" clinchers.

There were 700c clinchers back then, they were uncommon, Michelin was the brand we saw. A mechanic at the shop I worked for trained on 700c clinchers just to save $ and to feel fast when he swapped out for his race wheels.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.