Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Recreational & Family
Reload this Page >

Recommodation for USED bike in Portland

Notices
Recreational & Family Ride just to ride? Have a family and want to get them into cycling? Drop in here to discuss recreational and family cycling issues.

Old 05-23-19, 12:11 AM
sumimom05

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hi,
I am looking for a recommondation for a hybrid commuter bike in Portland to take my kids to and from school in. I would like to be able to attached a weeride to the back if possible and want it to be light an faster then what I currently have. I have a hand me down of a department store hybrid bike. A purple Avlaon. It is a horrible ride and very heavy to pedal. When I tried to bike with the weeride attachment it made my bike too heavy and hard to pedel

My daughter has a Trek Mystic and I love how light and easy to ride it is for her.

I would like to find something similar for myself in Portland, OR. Preferably used around $100 - $200 if anyone can assist in pointing me to a good bike. I had thought about the Xtracycle as well, but unable to find a place that would be able to demo it.

Please assist or advise.
Old 05-24-19, 01:07 PM
VegasTriker

Bikes: Catrike 700, Greenspeed GTO trike, , Linear LWB recumbent, Haluzak Horizon SWB recumbent, Balance 450 MTB, Cannondale SM800 Beast of the East

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 521 Post(s)
Liked 227 Times in 179 Posts
Readers can look at the local Craigslist for you. They can't tell you if the bike will fit. Many casual sellers don't know how to measure the frame size so you get responses like "way big frame" which isn't very helpful.

It helps if you are knowledgeable about bike components so you don't overpay or buy junk. Next best thing is to find someone who is capable and take them with you to look at bikes. It's quite possible to get a real bargain if you do. Some years ago I bought my Cannondale SM800 at a resale shop for $20. It was old and dusty but when I picked it up (lightweight) and looked at the components, I knew it was a steal. The best part is that it was the right size to ride comfortably.
Old 08-22-19, 03:39 AM
tim24k

Bikes: To many to list. I like them all!

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Liked 43 Times in 32 Posts
That’s a tuff one as we don’t know what size of bike you need. As said before Craigslist or eBay but you need to know what you are buying. Check out Citybikes on 1914 SE Ankeny, Bike Farm on 810 NE First Ave., and the Community Cycling Center 1700 NE Alberta street. All three of these places have used bikes and offer class on bike repair. If you can learn how to repair a bike and really it’s not rocket science you will know the difference between a good bike and junk bike and save a lot of money as well.

Last edited by tim24k; 08-22-19 at 03:47 AM.
Old 08-22-19, 04:12 AM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Quoted: 18319 Post(s)
Liked 4,488 Times in 3,337 Posts
There's a funky pawn shop in Beaverton that often has a unique selection of bikes out in front of the store. Worth having a look.

I think it is:
USA Pawn & Jewelry
12740 SW Canyon Rd