Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

How low of a temperature can you comfortably ride?

Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

How low of a temperature can you comfortably ride?

Old 12-10-12, 07:32 PM
Sixty Fiver
Bicycle Repair Man !!!

Bikes: See my sig...

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked 129 Times in 96 Posts
Originally Posted by valygrl
THis thread has turned into (yet another) pissing contest about who can ride in the coldest temperatures.

The OP was interested in actual "comfortable" riding temps to help decide if his prospective new living locations were reasonable.

Helpful? er....
The point is that, if you are prepared there really are no limits as to how cold you can go.
Old 12-10-12, 07:36 PM
muzpuf

Bikes: Bianchi Argentin (X-4) Colnago Super, +3 misc Bianchi Corsa Bikes

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
until my bottle freezes over
Old 12-10-12, 07:37 PM
surgeonstone

Bikes: 1976 FRESCHI, 2004 Crumpton.

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 925 Post(s)
Liked 21 Times in 10 Posts
Originally Posted by valygrl
THis thread has turned into (yet another) pissing contest about who can ride in the coldest temperatures.

The OP was interested in actual "comfortable" riding temps to help decide if his prospective new living locations were reasonable.

Helpful? er....
Maybe, but it was this kind of pissing contest that got me out testing my limits and going out into conditions that 15 years ago I would not have considered. And the great thing is I have learned that being out in all kinds of crazy conditions is a blast. I thank my BF brothers and sisters for sharing that info to egg me on.
Old 12-10-12, 08:44 PM
valygrl

Mentioned: 83 Post(s)
Quoted: 163 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
^^ point taken. I think I was wrong, sorry.
Old 12-10-12, 08:46 PM
jon c. 

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 1591 Post(s)
Liked 1,017 Times in 571 Posts
comfortably? about 50 degrees. if there isn't a stiff north wind.
Old 12-10-12, 08:49 PM
Dudelsack 

Bikes: Lectric Xpedition.

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 146 Post(s)
Liked 96 Times in 46 Posts
Louisville (KY, for you Boulder residents), soon to be the epicenter of recreational cycling in the US and host of the UCI CX World Championships...what was I talking about?

Oh yeah, the two major bike clubs here have rides year round. About 2/3 adopt a >40 only policy. I've done some club rides in the high 20's.

This might help you. This summer was hotter than the hinges of Hades and I rode a lot. I got used to riding in 100 weather. Honest, low 90s felt balmy, and I thought I would freeze to death when it got down to 70.

As it got colder I dressed better and asked myself, what would Chopper Reid do?

This month I've done rides in the high 20s, which is more remarkable because I am poikilothermic.

The key is sweat management. I tend to avoid nasty hills this time of year if I can, because I get sweaty and then get cold.

A thermos of Twining English Breakfast tea can do wonders for the morale on those rides.

The point being, you'd be surprised how adaptable you might be if you tried it.

Old 12-10-12, 09:47 PM
TupacInLA

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Damn, after reading most your guy's responses I feel like a wimp! Lol. I live in SoCal and its 60 degrees out and as much as I want to ride, I'd rather not because I feel its too cold smh..
Old 12-10-12, 10:57 PM
hhnngg1

Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Dudelsack
Louisville (KY, for you Boulder residents), soon to be the epicenter of recreational cycling in the US and host of the UCI CX World Championships...what was I talking about?

Oh yeah, the two major bike clubs here have rides year round. About 2/3 adopt a >40 only policy. I've done some club rides in the high 20's.

This might help you. This summer was hotter than the hinges of Hades and I rode a lot. I got used to riding in 100 weather. Honest, low 90s felt balmy, and I thought I would freeze to death when it got down to 70.

As it got colder I dressed better and asked myself, what would Chopper Reid do?

This month I've done rides in the high 20s, which is more remarkable because I am poikilothermic.

The key is sweat management. I tend to avoid nasty hills this time of year if I can, because I get sweaty and then get cold.

A thermos of Twining English Breakfast tea can do wonders for the morale on those rides.

The point being, you'd be surprised how adaptable you might be if you tried it.
WIKIPEDIA: Poikilothermic animals include types of vertebrate animals, specifically fish, amphibians, and reptiles, as well as a large number of invertebrate animals. The Naked mole rat is the only mammal that is currently thought to be poikilothermic.[SUP][2][/SUP][SUP][3][/SUP]
Old 12-10-12, 11:07 PM
Carbon Unit
Live to ride ride to live

Bikes: Calfee Tetra Pro

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by TupacInLA
Damn, after reading most your guy's responses I feel like a wimp! Lol. I live in SoCal and its 60 degrees out and as much as I want to ride, I'd rather not because I feel its too cold smh..
I did a ride this weekend and the temperature was in the mid to high 50s and damp when I started out the ride in So Cal, so I dressed accordingly. I was too damned hot. I think I was dressed for temperatures in the low 40s so I got sweaty quickly. This makes me think that riding in the 40s wouldn't be a big deal. However, a guy I ride with said that what sucks about riding in cold is that you sweat going up hill and the freeze going down hill. Is it possible to wich the moisture away with layers of clothing?
Old 12-11-12, 12:12 AM
bsektzer

Bikes: Pinarello Paris/Ui2, BMC TeamMachine SLR01/Campy Record EPS

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Born and raised in the city of Chicago, so I'm no stranger to -20 Fahrenheit plus 25 mph worth of wind chill. Yeah, yeah, I know... it's all about dressing properly for the cold, but I remember being bundled up in long Johns, sweaters, an overcoat, gloves, mittens, flannel lined jeans, leggings, 2 layers of socks and boots and then being told to go out and "play". Yeah right. Try playing when you've been padded up to where you look like a marine mammal. Being "properly dressed for the cold meant your mobility was so compromised that when the cold finally did penetrate, you couldn't open the door to get in without assistance.

Which is exactly why I moved to the balmy climes of Northern CA just as soon as I could. 35 years later, my blood has thinned out to the point that anything much less than 50 degrees feels downright chilly. I can get enough insulation on board to deal with temperatures down to about 45 - 50 without feeling too bound up, so that's pretty much where I draw the line. I don't feel too limited by that, although I do admire those of you with heartier constitutions.
Old 12-11-12, 12:24 AM
Machka 
In Real Life

Bikes: Lots

Mentioned: 141 Post(s)
Quoted: 3203 Post(s)
Liked 596 Times in 329 Posts
Originally Posted by datlas
I reiterate that if you dress properly, it's certainly feasible to be COMFORTABLE at cold temps, certainly colder than freezing.

It comes down to having the right gear.

In my experience, living in the NorthEast, the bigger problem in the winter is snow and ice on roads. That prevents rides more than temperature per se.
+1

In Winnipeg (where I rode in my coldest temps), it was fairly easy to ride in sub-freezing temps because they cleared the streets down to the pavement. At -40C/F, for example, when I commuted to work, I could comfortably commute on bare, dry pavement.

In central Alberta, however, where it also got that cold, I had much more difficulty riding because they had a very strange street clearing system which left a thick layer of lumpy ice and snow on the road. Riding on that was not at all comfortable for fear of doing some sort of damage to myself or the bicycle. In fact, there were many times, at much warmer temps, when I opted to use my trainer rather than ride outside on all that lumpy, bumpy frozen ice and snow that they called a plowed road.

Last edited by Machka; 12-11-12 at 12:29 AM.
Old 12-11-12, 12:42 AM
Bike Gremlin
Mostly harmless ™

Bikes: Heavy, with friction shifters

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1107 Post(s)
Liked 216 Times in 130 Posts
Celsius grade used here:

If there is no wind and rain, I'm comfortable at 10 C and warmer.

If there is wind, but no rain, I'm comfortable at 20 C and warmer.

If there is rain, but no wind, I'm comfortable at about 15 C and warmer.

If there is wind and rain, I'm comfortable at 25 C and warmer.

I'm never really comfortable when it is warmer than 33 C.

However, in spite of often not being comfortable, I somehow enjoj cycling in all weather conditions and do it daily.
Old 12-11-12, 12:55 AM
VegasVic

Bikes: Seven Axiom SL

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by TupacInLA
Same here, low 60's right now after work and I think it's too cold to go ride. OK until the sun goes down, then miserable IMHO.
Old 12-11-12, 12:59 AM
Machka 
In Real Life

Bikes: Lots

Mentioned: 141 Post(s)
Quoted: 3203 Post(s)
Liked 596 Times in 329 Posts
Originally Posted by VegasVic
Same here, low 60's right now after work and I think it's too cold to go ride. OK until the sun goes down, then miserable IMHO.
Throw on a jacket and you'll be fine.
Old 12-11-12, 01:01 AM
Sixty Fiver
Bicycle Repair Man !!!

Bikes: See my sig...

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked 129 Times in 96 Posts
Originally Posted by VegasVic
I don't even put on pants until it is 50F...

Old 12-11-12, 06:21 AM
Dudelsack 

Bikes: Lectric Xpedition.

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 146 Post(s)
Liked 96 Times in 46 Posts
Originally Posted by hhnngg1
WIKIPEDIA: Poikilothermic animals include types of vertebrate animals, specifically fish, amphibians, and reptiles, as well as a large number of invertebrate animals. The Naked mole rat is the only mammal that is currently thought to be poikilothermic.[SUP][2][/SUP][SUP][3][/SUP]
I never thought of myself as a mole rat. More like a turtle on a log in the summer...

Old 12-11-12, 06:43 AM
dave1442397

Bikes: 2014 Boardman SLS 9.4 Di2, 2011 CAAD 10 4

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Carbon Unit
I did a ride this weekend and the temperature was in the mid to high 50s and damp when I started out the ride in So Cal, so I dressed accordingly. I was too damned hot. I think I was dressed for temperatures in the low 40s so I got sweaty quickly. This makes me think that riding in the 40s wouldn't be a big deal. However, a guy I ride with said that what sucks about riding in cold is that you sweat going up hill and the freeze going down hill. Is it possible to wich the moisture away with layers of clothing?
I have a Campagnolo jersey that's windproofed in the front and on the sleeves, but has a mesh back. With a light merino wool base layer, it's perfect for that kind of ride with temps in the low 40s.
Old 12-11-12, 07:42 AM
RT
The Weird Beard

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Machka
Throw on a [STRIKE]jacket[/STRIKE] layer of sunscreen and you'll be fine.
ffa
Old 12-11-12, 08:17 AM
MarkThailand

Bikes: Lynskey Helix OS and R330, Parlee Z1, Anderson 953 Custom

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Here in sunny central Thailand, the lowest temperature that I have ridden in is 20 C - 75 F. Supposedly, up in northern Thailand in Chiangmai, it goes down to 10 C in the mornings.

But, in the summers here (in March-April), I have ridden centuries in 40 C - 105 C 90 % humidity weather.

Mark
Old 12-11-12, 11:39 AM
WC89

Bikes: 2011 Trek 8.4 DS hybrid; 2012 Felt F-75 road bike; 1990 Specialized Stumpjumper MTB; 1992 Guerciotti road bike (inactive)

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
So far, I don't stop based on temp. I know I can ride for about 1 hour when 14 degrees F (did it twice). Since it rarely gets lower than that, and since single digits are rare here in Maryland, I've not had the chance to try riding below 14. At 14, I was somewhere between comfortable and uncomfortable so it was doable with all of my gear on. At this point, I have every intention of going out to ride if temp is 10 -14 degrees. If we have a rare, single digit day, I think I'll try it just to find out if it's doable for an hour.
Old 12-11-12, 11:49 AM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 2952 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts
Originally Posted by fa63
I have clothes to ride comfortably down to about 30F. But with the right clothes, I am sure it is possible to ride comfortably in much colder temperatures.
This is me. The lowest I've ridden here is 28F, and my toes and fingers were numb, but I suppose if I had been wearing my good ski gloves and had better shoe covers, I'd have been fine.
Old 12-11-12, 12:45 PM
cyccommute 
Mad bike riding scientist

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Mentioned: 152 Post(s)
Quoted: 6192 Post(s)
Liked 4,192 Times in 2,352 Posts
Comfortably? Around 70F (20C). Uncomfortably? Down to 0F (-18C).
Gold Fever Three days of dirt in Colorado
Pokin' around the Poconos A cold ride around Lake Erie
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Old 12-11-12, 03:59 PM
banerjek
Portland Fred

Bikes: Custom Winter, Challenge Seiran SL, Fuji Team Pro, Cattrike Road/Velokit, РOS hybrid

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 232 Post(s)
Liked 53 Times in 35 Posts
It's all about the gear. I have comfortably ridden in single digit temps, though I didn't have to deal with it for much more than an hour.

I've never bumped against a temp limit, but the huge issue is fingers and toes. I find lobster mits, booties, chemical warmers, and great socks indispensible.

Keeping everything except fingers and toes warm is easy, but those are hard. Always keep in mind that if you have to stop for a repair, you and your fingers can freeze to the point of uselessness fast even if you're totally comfortable riding.
Old 12-11-12, 09:44 PM
surgeonstone

Bikes: 1976 FRESCHI, 2004 Crumpton.

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 925 Post(s)
Liked 21 Times in 10 Posts
To vallygirl
I would not say wrong, I get your point on the macho one upmanship that exists here. It does get me out of my comfort zone though and that is good.
Old 12-12-12, 01:06 AM
TupacInLA

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Carbon Unit
hmmm true.. I usually ride with shorts and a sweater if it is cold. I never get too hot, more usually I'm a little cold and always stuck with the runny nose effect while riding in the cold. (How can I prevent that?) Even when I dress I'm sweats and a sweater; I'll still be getting the sniffles. :/

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.