Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Clydesdales/Athenas (200+ lb / 91+ kg)
Reload this Page >

2015/2016 Indoor Bike Trainer Thread

Search
Notices
Clydesdales/Athenas (200+ lb / 91+ kg) Looking to lose that spare tire? Ideal weight 200+? Frustrated being a large cyclist in a sport geared for the ultra-light? Learn about the bikes and parts that can take the abuse of a heavier cyclist, how to keep your body going while losing the weight, and get support from others who've been successful.

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-15, 12:46 PM
WonderMonkey

Bikes: 2011 Cannondale Quick 5, 2014 Raleigh Revenio 2.0

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 80 Post(s)
Liked 66 Times in 36 Posts

How about we use this thread, or another that someone starts, to keep each other going as we move into biking indoors at least part of the time?

I'll start with my intro post in the next ... post.
Old 10-01-15, 12:46 PM
WonderMonkey

I'm getting my bike back tomorrow. Well not my bike but my replacement bike. Mine was taken so I got another. Same model, etc. as that is what my insurance dictated. I'm sure I could have fooled that a bit but I liked the bike so I didn't even try to do a "Give me value and I'll put that towards...."

So... I'm getting my indoor bike trainer area setup. I've really struggled with this in the past. I've got a nice setup with a CycleOps Fluid 2, front wheel block, special trainer tire, etc. but I've under-utilized it SEVERELY. I even have a table I can put my laptop and watch shows or listen to music yet I still struggle with it.

I'm looking for tips on how to get it done. Threads here, articles, etc. but at some point I just have to make it so.

11 Tips for Riding the Trainer?A Lot | Leap Day Sports
Old 10-01-15, 12:59 PM
Fangowolf

Bikes: 2012 Surly LHT / Motobecane Fhantom CX 105 / Giant Cypress ST / EZ Sport AX / Trisled Touring Trike

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I use this in front of the bike
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...ilpage_o04_s00

Try some of the software programs : Zwift is in Beta and free (til winter?) Something to tie your effort into results and measurements. Article on several software apps The Winter 2014-2015 Trainer App In-Depth Guide | DC Rainmaker
Old 10-01-15, 01:04 PM
WonderMonkey

Originally Posted by Fangowolf
I use this in front of the bike
Amazon.com: Stellar Labs 555-11690 Heavy Duty Laptop / Projector Presentation Stand: Computers & Accessories

Try some of the software programs : Zwift is in Beta and free (til winter?) Something to tie your effort into results and measurements. Article on several software apps The Winter 2014-2015 Trainer App In-Depth Guide | DC Rainmaker
Looks like a modified music stand!

There was some good suggestions in my ride thread that I'm going to look up, possibly it is the same as one in the list of the link. I'll read that link later so I can then click and click and read.
Old 10-01-15, 01:58 PM
dagray

Bikes: Orbea Orca,Raleigh Talus 29er, Centurion Le Mans 12 speed

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 164 Post(s)
Liked 84 Times in 42 Posts
Monkey load the BKool software and you can ride inside on virtual routes using your trainer. You will want an Ant+ USB dongle to plug into your laptop to read your speed/cadence sensor, heart rate monitor, and power meter (if you have one..... I don't).

Cost for one year of premium is $144.00 so you can input your own routes and ride with others on the same course. The software/app will run on computer, phone, laptop and on Apple, PC, Android systems.

The basic is free and it is still good.
Old 10-01-15, 06:02 PM
dr_lha

Bikes: 2016 Black Mountain Cycles Monster Cross v5, 2015 Ritchey Road Logic, 1998 Specialized Rockhopper, 2017 Raleigh Grand Prix

Quoted: 374 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 11 Posts
I'm setting up my trainer for the first time tonight. Re-upper my TrainerRoad subscription: first thing I notice, it's gone up $2 a month in price. I'm using a Kurt Kinetic Road Machine 2.0 with the inRide pod for power measurement. Last year the inRide support in TR kind of sucked, but now they have proper calibration and a summer to work out bugs I'm hopeful. I'd like to try Zwift but their non support of BLE makes it a non starter for me.
Old 10-01-15, 06:44 PM
WonderMonkey

Originally Posted by dagray
Monkey load the BKool software and you can ride inside on virtual routes using your trainer. You will want an Ant+ USB dongle to plug into your laptop to read your speed/cadence sensor, heart rate monitor, and power meter (if you have one..... I don't).

Cost for one year of premium is $144.00 so you can input your own routes and ride with others on the same course. The software/app will run on computer, phone, laptop and on Apple, PC, Android systems.

The basic is free and it is still good.
The BKool is what I had in mind based on your recommendation in another one of my threads. I'll have to pick up a speed/cadence and HR monitor sensor. Not sure if I care about a power meter but I don't know enough to know. I need to get that even for normal riding so it's an easy decision.
Old 10-01-15, 10:36 PM
chaadster
Thread Killer

Bikes: 15 Kinesis Racelight 4S, 76 Motebecane Gran Jubilée, 17 Dedacciai Gladiatore2, 12 Breezer Venturi, 09 Dahon Mariner, 12 Mercier Nano, 95 DeKerf Team SL, 19 Tern Rally, 21 Breezer Doppler Cafe+, 19 T-Lab X3, 91 Serotta CII, 23 3T Strada

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 3129 Post(s)
Liked 1,698 Times in 1,026 Posts
Originally Posted by dr_lha
I'm setting up my trainer for the first time tonight. Re-upper my TrainerRoad subscription: first thing I notice, it's gone up $2 a month in price. I'm using a Kurt Kinetic Road Machine 2.0 with the inRide pod for power measurement. Last year the inRide support in TR kind of sucked, but now they have proper calibration and a summer to work out bugs I'm hopeful. I'd like to try Zwift but their non support of BLE makes it a non starter for me.
Could a translator, like the 4iiii Viiiiva heart rate monitor strap, be used to funnel the Kinetic's BLE signal to an ANT+ dongle in the computer? I use one to change ANT+ from a Powertap to BLE for pickup by my iPhone, which works.
Old 10-02-15, 06:21 AM
dr_lha

Bikes: 2016 Black Mountain Cycles Monster Cross v5, 2015 Ritchey Road Logic, 1998 Specialized Rockhopper, 2017 Raleigh Grand Prix

Originally Posted by chaadster
Could a translator, like the 4iiii Viiiiva heart rate monitor strap, be used to funnel the Kinetic's BLE signal to an ANT+ dongle in the computer? I use one to change ANT+ from a Powertap to BLE for pickup by my iPhone, which works.
I don't think there are any products on the market that do BLE to ANT+. They all just do the other way around.
Old 10-02-15, 08:51 AM
WonderMonkey

I'm looking at cadence & HR options and there are so many choices it's almost paralyzing. Throw in the possibility of having a small unit (easy ladies!) on the handlebars for display and the thoughts of purchasing things then making the wrong choice is concerning.
Old 10-02-15, 10:50 AM
dagray

Originally Posted by WonderMonkey
I'm looking at cadence & HR options and there are so many choices it's almost paralyzing. Throw in the possibility of having a small unit (easy ladies!) on the handlebars for display and the thoughts of purchasing things then making the wrong choice is concerning.
I use the Cateye Cadence/speed sensor, and the MIO Link heart rate wrist strap. The BKool Software will allow both of those to pair as long as you have the Ant+ dongle/stick to put in your computer or phone. For outside rides I use the Cateye Stealth 50 which tracks speed, distance, route by GPS and reads the heart rate monitor and of course the cadence sensor.

Mio Link can be had for under $100.00, Cateye speed/cadence sensor can be had for under $50.00, and the Cateye Stealth bike computer can be had for between $100.00 and $150.00
Old 10-02-15, 10:54 AM
Fangowolf

Bikes: 2012 Surly LHT / Motobecane Fhantom CX 105 / Giant Cypress ST / EZ Sport AX / Trisled Touring Trike

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I use a scosche rhythm heart rate and an 800 Garmin, although I am coveting the Live segments of the new edge's.
Old 10-02-15, 11:43 AM
dr_lha

Question here:

Do you want to record your cadence and HR for upload to something like Strava?

If yes, then in terms of picking which one to get, you need to decide about whether you want to go ANT+ or Bluetooth. If you plan on pairing with a Garmin, then ANT+ is the clear winner. If you're going to use a mobile phone, then BLE is the clear winner. If you want to pair with a computer, then you'll likely need a BLE or ANT+ USB dongle for the computer. That said, your chances of your computer having BLE built is higher than it having ANT+ (especially if you own a recent Mac), but the dongles for both are cheap.

If you are undecided or want both, then the choice is easy, for cadence get the Wahoo BlueSC v2.0, and the Wahoo TICKR HR strap. These both broadcast in both ANT+ and BLE, so you can use them with a Garmin or a mobile phone.
Old 10-02-15, 12:05 PM
WonderMonkey

Originally Posted by dagray
I use the Cateye Cadence/speed sensor, and the MIO Link heart rate wrist strap. The BKool Software will allow both of those to pair as long as you have the Ant+ dongle/stick to put in your computer or phone. For outside rides I use the Cateye Stealth 50 which tracks speed, distance, route by GPS and reads the heart rate monitor and of course the cadence sensor.

Mio Link can be had for under $100.00, Cateye speed/cadence sensor can be had for under $50.00, and the Cateye Stealth bike computer can be had for between $100.00 and $150.00
Well now you have just added something into the mix! I will look into those before laying down any cash.

Thanks for confusing me! In a good way!
Old 10-02-15, 12:06 PM
WonderMonkey

Question here:

Do you want to record your cadence and HR for upload to something like Strava?

If yes, then in terms of picking which one to get, you need to decide about whether you want to go ANT+ or Bluetooth. If you plan on pairing with a Garmin, then ANT+ is the clear winner. If you're going to use a mobile phone, then BLE is the clear winner. If you want to pair with a computer, then you'll likely need a BLE or ANT+ USB dongle for the computer. That said, your chances of your computer having BLE built is higher than it having ANT+ (especially if you own a recent Mac), but the dongles for both are cheap.

If you are undecided or want both, then the choice is easy, for cadence get the Wahoo BlueSC v2.0, and the Wahoo TICKR HR strap. These both broadcast in both ANT+ and BLE, so you can use them with a Garmin or a mobile phone.
The Wahool Blue SC and TICKR HR strap is EXACTLY what I had zoned in on! Glad to see a recommendation for it. I am going to look at what dagray suggested just to cover my bases though.
Old 10-02-15, 12:08 PM
WonderMonkey

Originally Posted by Fangowolf
I use a scosche rhythm heart rate and an 800 Garmin, although I am coveting the Live segments of the new edge's.
I have not picked out an on-bike computer yet though I am making sure the other things I choose are compatible with standard offerings. For my indoor rides I'll just use my phone and laptop. Garmin keeps coming up though.
Old 10-02-15, 12:14 PM
dr_lha

The Wahool Blue SC and TICKR HR strap is EXACTLY what I had zoned in on! Glad to see a recommendation for it. I am going to look at what dagray suggested just to cover my bases though.
I should have added if you only want cadence and not speed, then the Wahoo RPM is what you want.
Old 10-02-15, 12:19 PM
WonderMonkey

I should have added if you only want cadence and not speed, then the Wahoo RPM is what you want.
I noticed that on their site. I figured I would get both so I can have another number to distract myself with.
Old 10-02-15, 12:31 PM
dr_lha

I noticed that on their site. I figured I would get both so I can have another number to distract myself with.
You don't need both. BlueSC does speed and cadence, RPM does only cadence.
Old 10-02-15, 12:38 PM
WonderMonkey

You don't need both. BlueSC does speed and cadence, RPM does only cadence.
Right. I meant the one product that did both.
Old 10-02-15, 12:57 PM
dr_lha

Right. I meant the one product that did both.
OK. Duh!
Old 10-02-15, 04:45 PM
dagray

With the Cateye Stealth 50 bike computer I can set a screen to show heart rate, cadence, speed, and local time, I can then change to a screen that shows the trip mileage, then to another with trip 2, then total miles, then a stop watch that displays time moving (so if you stop to rest that time doesn't count toward moving time).

I can also put the bike computer in my pocket and use it to track distance, speed, route, heart rate on a walk.
Old 10-02-15, 08:42 PM
baron von trail 

Bikes: 3 good used ones

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I'm still over two months away from trainer season. Here's to hoping for clear roads until Dec 21.
Old 10-02-15, 09:23 PM
WonderMonkey

Originally Posted by baron von trail
I'm still over two months away from trainer season. Here's to hoping for clear roads until Dec 21.
I'll still be able to ride outside as well but I'm I'll be indoors incrementally. Just prepping.
Old 10-03-15, 10:21 AM
dagray

I use my BKool trainer year round. Sometimes to take an FTP test, and sometimes to beat the weather. It gets hot here in the summer (triple digits), cold in winter (sustained icy conditions), and the wind blows year round at 20-35mph sustained. I also wimp out at times and ride inside when it is raining.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.