Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Singlespeed & Fixed Gear
Reload this Page >

Chain derailment more common on ring or cog?

Search
Notices
Singlespeed & Fixed Gear "I still feel that variable gears are only for people over forty-five. Isn't it better to triumph by the strength of your muscles than by the artifice of a derailer? We are getting soft...As for me, give me a fixed gear!"-- Henri Desgrange (31 January 1865 - 16 August 1940)

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-15, 07:35 PM
motorapido

Bikes: 1976 Schwinn Super Le Tour, tricked out with modern components. Shimano Alfine 11 internal gear hub. Dynamo hub. Titanium racks and bottle cages. Mercier Kilo Wide Tire dropbar singlespeed

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 1 Post

I'm finishing a build with an internal gear hub -- so technically I am posting on the wrong forum. However, since this is a setup with just one ring in front and one cog in back, I think the question is applicable here. When a chain derails on a 1x1 setup, is it more likely to derail on the ring or the cog? I have a bash guard outboard of the ring and a chain-drop preventer inboard, so I am not concerned with chain drop. I chose, however, not to use the dorky looking Shimano IGH cog that comes with a guard on either side of the cog. So I am wondering if I run the risk of chain derailment on the rear cog, or if derailment tends to happen at the ring rather than the cog. I have semi-horizontal rear dropouts and have achieved pretty good chain tension (about 5/8 slack at the loose point and very little slack at the tight point). Chain line is pretty good. I would grudgingly put on the shimano guarded cog in back if I am told that most chain derailment happens at the cog rather than the ring, so I don't have to worry when riding rough bike paths in the middle of nowhere, solo, on tour (C&O Canal/Great Allegheny Passage). What say ye?
Old 04-15-15, 08:00 PM
TejanoTrackie 
Veteran Racer

Bikes: 32 frames + 80 wheels

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1331 Post(s)
Liked 764 Times in 431 Posts
I have lots of 1 x 1 setups, fixed, singlespeed, even IGH. None of them have any kind of chainguards, and none of them have ever derailed on me either front or rear, and I've got more than 5/8" maximum slack on many of them. As long as you've got reasonable alignment between the front and rear sprockets, there should be no problem.

Originally Posted by Dcv
I'd like to think i have as much money as brains.
I see the light at the end of the tunnel, but the tunnel keeps getting longer - me
Old 04-15-15, 09:48 PM
sickz

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
on fixed: it's most likely to fall off on the inside of your chainring.

on a singlespeed it can fall off anywhere since you can coast.

use 3/32 ring and cog w/ 1/8" if you're worried about chain derailment.

Last edited by sickz; 04-15-15 at 09:52 PM.
Old 04-16-15, 02:40 AM
Night_shift

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I've never thrown a chain on my SS or FG. I have thrown chains several times on my 3x9 hybrid. Especially when going from 3 > 1 on the Crank... she loves to toss that chain right onto the bottom bracket.
Old 04-16-15, 08:42 AM
Scrodzilla
Your cog is slipping.

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 640 Post(s)
Liked 100 Times in 58 Posts
Originally Posted by motorapido
I have semi-horizontal rear dropouts and have achieved pretty good chain tension (about 5/8 slack at the loose point and very little slack at the tight point). Chain line is pretty good.
Why would you ever drop your chain then?

Stop overthinking it. Instead of asking a bunch of people on the internet, simply ride your bike and see what happens.
Old 04-16-15, 08:43 AM
prooftheory
pro in someone's theory

Bikes: FTP

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 72 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Get a brake.
Old 04-17-15, 10:35 AM
bikenh

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 138 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 16 Posts
Funny thing is I was just about to ask pretty much the same question. After having dropped the chain twice in the past 1.5 months, both times it appears to have dropped off the cog first(yesterday it was still wrapped around the chainring when I stopped) I was wandering the same thing. I know you always hear about it when it drops off the chainring and locks up the wheel. I was wandering if my homemade dropout set up was helping me to drop it off the cog or what. Some answers given thus far have been rather intriguing.
Old 04-17-15, 11:03 AM
TejanoTrackie 
Veteran Racer

Bikes: 32 frames + 80 wheels

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1331 Post(s)
Liked 764 Times in 431 Posts
Originally Posted by bikenh
I was wandering if my homemade dropout set up was helping me to drop it off the cog.
Yes.

*wondering

Originally Posted by Dcv
I'd like to think i have as much money as brains.
I see the light at the end of the tunnel, but the tunnel keeps getting longer - me
Old 04-17-15, 11:08 AM
Mumonkan
Brown Jersey Winner

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 243 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 13 Posts
#kilott

for serious tho ive never had a chain come off at the back except on a derailleur bike when i dumped 7 gears and hammered on the pedals

Last edited by Mumonkan; 04-17-15 at 11:43 AM.
Old 04-17-15, 11:25 AM
tuxxdk

Bikes: MTB & Road

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Are your chainline(s) out of bounds? I can't imagine how my chain would ever fall off, when proper tensioned. I have an offset in chainline on 1mm that I'll zero out tomorrow, but even that looks perfect and deadsilent to my ears and eyes. Can't see how it should derail with chainline within bounds.
Old 04-17-15, 12:51 PM
ThermionicScott 
working on my sandal tan

Bikes: 1991 Bianchi Eros, 1964 Armstrong, 1988 Diamondback Ascent, 1988 Bianchi Premio, 1987 Bianchi Sport SX, 1980s Raleigh mixte (hers), All-City Space Horse (hers)

Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
Quoted: 3871 Post(s)
Liked 2,568 Times in 1,579 Posts
Originally Posted by tuxxdk
Are your chainline(s) out of bounds? I can't imagine how my chain would ever fall off, when proper tensioned. I have an offset in chainline on 1mm that I'll zero out tomorrow, but even that looks perfect and deadsilent to my ears and eyes. Can't see how it should derail with chainline within bounds.
Same here. My chainline is off by 1mm at the most, but I use cheap cogs and road cranks/chainrings, so there are way uncool amounts of chain slack at some points of the crank rotation. I keep wondering when that'll cause a dropped chain, but after 4500 miles, I'm not holding my breath either.
People in this forum are not typical.
RUSA #7498
Old 04-17-15, 01:26 PM
rex615
canis lupus familiaris

Bikes: En plus one

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
The only times I have dropped a chain on a fixed gear has been due to my own neglect, the chain was way too loose and I was riding on "bumpy" surfaces. This was made worse by having cheap components that weren't very round so chain tension varied as the chain rotated.