Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Folding Bikes
Reload this Page >

Brompton - CHPT3 vs. Black Lacquer

Search
Notices
Folding Bikes Discuss the unique features and issues of folding bikes. Also a great place to learn what folding bike will work best for your needs.

Brompton - CHPT3 vs. Black Lacquer

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-18, 01:10 PM
blakcloud

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 608 Post(s)
Liked 352 Times in 225 Posts
That is an upgrade I would probably wouldn't do until the headset that is already installed died. I love King headsets but to me not worth the cost at this point in the game. The wait must be the most difficult part at this point.
Old 03-08-18, 02:21 PM
Joe Remi

Bikes: Haibike Sduro Trekking SL, Rivendell Appaloosa, Concinnity singlespeed, KHS mini velo (Japan market), Trident Spike trike

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 653 Post(s)
Liked 91 Times in 74 Posts
I certainly wouldn't replace the headset on functional grounds, so it's a matter of spending the money for blingy coolness. Which, let's be honest, is a perfectly valid reason!
Old 03-08-18, 03:07 PM
1nterceptor
LET'S ROLL

Bikes: 2014 BMC Gran Fondo, 2013 Brompton S6L-X

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 306 Post(s)
Liked 44 Times in 33 Posts
After owning a few Bromptons over the years, and talking to a lot of other owners -
headset is not the 1st thing I'd worry about.

-It's nice that Brompton includes a pump with most models(except superlight/titanium).
But just like most portable pumps; it sucks. I carry a Topeak Morph G.
-Depending on you weight, how much you stand, masher or spinner; right/drive side pedal
gives up too fast for some. Some in as little as three months.
MKS ESPRIT SUPERIOR PEDALS by 1nterceptor, on Flickr
-Front carrier block is a very useful option. Can accept many kinds of luggage; big or small.
I'm using a Demano messenger bag since 2013:
Old 03-09-18, 03:44 AM
chagzuki

Bikes: Brompton, Dahon Vitesse D5

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Get the cheap Tange sealed bearing headset which fits, I forget the name. I did years back and it's perfect.
Old 03-09-18, 09:39 AM
Caliwild

Quoted: 414 Post(s)
Liked 676 Times in 283 Posts
Originally Posted by chagzuki
Get the cheap Tange sealed bearing headset which fits, I forget the name. I did years back and it's perfect.
Thanks. I read about that one too. Velo Orange has a Grand Cru one too in a couple different colors for a fraction of the Chris King price...

Now I need to decide whether I want to throw on my Brooks B-17 narrow (over 500 grams!) or just get a Fabric saddle (closer to 200 grams). I know this isn't a weight weenie build but the Brooks just sounds like it'll be an anchor!
Old 03-09-18, 10:22 AM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
It's a 1.125" OD, threaded fork, 1" ID, get the measurements from the frame when you remove the stock parts..
Old 03-09-18, 10:38 AM
blakcloud

Quoted: 608 Post(s)
Liked 352 Times in 225 Posts
As much as the Brooks look great, I agree they are boat anchors. I finally took mine off because I could never get use to it and I replaced it with a Specialized Avatar Gel. The bike doesn't have that classic look anymore but that's the price I paid. I wouldn't mind trying the Brooks C series saddles.
Old 03-09-18, 11:07 AM
Joe Remi

Bikes: Haibike Sduro Trekking SL, Rivendell Appaloosa, Concinnity singlespeed, KHS mini velo (Japan market), Trident Spike trike

Originally Posted by Caliwild
Thanks. I read about that one too. Velo Orange has a Grand Cru one too in a couple different colors for a fraction of the Chris King price...

Now I need to decide whether I want to throw on my Brooks B-17 narrow (over 500 grams!) or just get a Fabric saddle (closer to 200 grams). I know this isn't a weight weenie build but the Brooks just sounds like it'll be an anchor!
Saddle choice is one area where I don't give a toss about weight, I gotta be comfortable. The standard width B17 is the only one I can ride, I have a ti rail version on my Rivendell.
Old 03-09-18, 01:39 PM
FolderBeholder

Bikes: 1963 Schwinn, EuroMini Urbano, Magnum Premium 48, Brompton S6L, Tokyo Bike Mini-Velo

Quoted: 129 Post(s)
Liked 46 Times in 29 Posts
Originally Posted by Brompton_X
lol ... Just saw the thread.... I have both of them, chpt3 6spd and Black Lacquer 2spd. Bought last year from Thanksgiving sale with 15% off and free shipping.

I live in bay area. When I go to San Francisco, I used to ride my Titanium Ni edition 6 speed but now I just ride my 2 speed Ti Brompton. (12T/17T) The bike is about 8kg so it is easier for me to carry around the bart stations and cycling up hills in San Francisco.

BTW, I like the Brompton grips because of lightweight. However, I replaced them with Ergon Brooks grips because they caused my hand numbness.
Here is the picture of my Black Raw Laquer 2 speed. My chpt3 is on the shelf.
Just an FYI-

I posted a picture of a knife I have on a knife forum I belong to, and shortly thereafter received a fairly creepy PM from someone else on that forum that with data encrypted on that iPhone picture...he knew where I (and my knife(s)) lived.

I'm cautious, but not paranoid but that gave me pause. An unintended consequence of today's technology I never thought of.

Just saying...one Brompton is worth more than my ENTIRE knife collection.
Old 03-09-18, 01:57 PM
linberl

Bikes: Trident Spike 2 recumbent trike w/ e-assist

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 1321 Post(s)
Liked 374 Times in 288 Posts
Originally Posted by FolderBeholder
Just an FYI-

I posted a picture of a knife I have on a knife forum I belong to, and shortly thereafter received a fairly creepy PM from someone else on that forum that with data encrypted on that iPhone picture...he knew where I (and my knife(s)) lived.

I'm cautious, but not paranoid but that gave me pause. An unintended consequence of today's technology I never thought of.

Just saying...one Brompton is worth more than my ENTIRE knife collection.
You sure he didn't get it off what appears to be a shipping label on that box in the pic?
Old 03-09-18, 02:07 PM
FolderBeholder

Bikes: 1963 Schwinn, EuroMini Urbano, Magnum Premium 48, Brompton S6L, Tokyo Bike Mini-Velo

Quoted: 129 Post(s)
Liked 46 Times in 29 Posts
Originally Posted by linberl
You sure he didn't get it off what appears to be a shipping label on that box in the pic?
I was speaking of my experience with a picture I posted elsewhere...w/o any boxes or labels showing.

Point being, there's a lot of hidden data to be "mined" encrypted in a lot of digital media...photos included.

I was surprised a picture of a pocket knife I own essentially held my residence address in it's inner sanctum and more surprised someone would actually look at that data...

YMMV
Old 03-09-18, 02:27 PM
linberl

Bikes: Trident Spike 2 recumbent trike w/ e-assist

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 1321 Post(s)
Liked 374 Times in 288 Posts
Originally Posted by FolderBeholder
I was speaking of my experience with a picture I posted elsewhere...w/o any boxes or labels showing.

Point being, there's a lot of hidden data to be "mined" encrypted in a lot of digital media...photos included.

I was surprised a picture of a pocket knife I own essentially held my residence address in it's inner sanctum and more surprised someone would actually look at that data...

YMMV
FYI just turn off geotagging in your iphone settings (location services). If not, your GPS metadata includes: altitude, latitude, longitude, and more. If the GPS data is available, the app will let you directly see it in the Maps app. This is a great way to see exactly where the picture was taken.
Old 03-09-18, 06:30 PM
desastar

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I think a replacing the bottom bracket is better value than replacing the headset.
Old 03-10-18, 01:50 AM
Brompton_X

Bikes: Brompton, Dahon, Tern, Birdy

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by fietsbob
Hub still under 120 mm wide?
Yes, it is the same.
Old 03-10-18, 09:17 AM
Caliwild

Originally Posted by desastar
I think a replacing the bottom bracket is better value than replacing the headset.

I see that there is a Phil Wood bottom bracket available... would I even feel a difference or is it simply to avoid any issues down the line?
Old 03-10-18, 02:20 PM
fietsbob
Banned

They're not good forever, but they are rebuildable, If shipped to California company..
Old 03-10-18, 03:46 PM
2_i 

Bikes: Trek 730 (quad), 720 & 830, Bike Friday NWT, Brompton M36R & M6R, Dahon HAT060 & HT060, ...

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 840 Post(s)
Liked 336 Times in 251 Posts
I see that there is a Phil Wood bottom bracket available... would I even feel a difference or is it simply to avoid any issues down the line?
Oh, there is no protection there of bearings against water, i.e. Phil Woods are fair weather BBs. When swapping BB I go for TA Axix Pro with Ti axle.
Old 03-10-18, 04:54 PM
fietsbob
Banned

They do offer a mud guard, + to add another seal, slip O rings on before fitting the crank arms..

Phil Wood & Co...
Old 03-10-18, 07:20 PM
12boy

Bikes: brompton sl, surly steamroller, fuji track, gary fisher bmx minivelo etc

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 156 Post(s)
Liked 16 Times in 12 Posts
I have some velo orange cartridge headsets that have given me years of flawless service but my brompton has a CK Gripnut which has given me 0 problems. nice not to worry about headsets, bottom brackets or hubs. I can remember when routine maintenance was required. Still when my campy bb, headset and hubs are freshly lubed and adjusted properly they do just fine, too.
Old 03-10-18, 10:03 PM
Joe Remi

Personally I think replacing headset or BB right away is bonkers. It's your money if you like the bling, but a new Brompton doesn't need it.
Old 03-11-18, 12:12 AM
avole
Banned.

Bikes: Brompton, Time, Bianchi, Jan Janssen, Peugeot

Quoted: 598 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
That would be my feeling too.
Old 03-11-18, 11:01 AM
fietsbob
Banned

some folks just want more titanium bits..
Old 03-13-18, 09:44 AM
Caliwild

Originally Posted by Joe Remi
Personally I think replacing headset or BB right away is bonkers. It's your money if you like the bling, but a new Brompton doesn't need it.

Thanks for the being the voice of reason! I was getting carried away. Just keeping it as is for now. Just going to throw my Brooks B-17 narrow on there and call it a day for now (it'll match nicely since even the rails are black).

PS: Just got word that the bike has arrived at the bike shop!
Old 03-14-18, 04:57 AM
desastar

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks for the being the voice of reason! I was getting carried away. Just keeping it as is for now. Just going to throw my Brooks B-17 narrow on there and call it a day for now (it'll match nicely since even the rails are black).

PS: Just got word that the bike has arrived at the bike shop!
You may want to get the bike shop to check the BB anyway. I happened to have removed the cranks of my wife's as new B and found the BB to be very stiff, you could hardly turn with your fingers. The serial number was just before the range being recalled, so I decided to replace with a Shimano one. But surprisingly, once out of the frame, it spins fine but not when installed. I suspect the non drive side cup cannot be tightened fully as it compresses on the bearing? Thats the only explanation I can come up with. Anyway, the Shimano one is better quality.
Old 03-14-18, 07:50 AM
avole
Banned.

Bikes: Brompton, Time, Bianchi, Jan Janssen, Peugeot

Quoted: 598 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Since the current bottom brackets are not the ones fitted to your bike, presumably no replacement is necessary. Also, it's a brand new bike. Changing a bottom bracket would neatly void the warranty.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.