Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Mountain Biking
Reload this Page >

motor vehicles and mountain bikes had the most impact

Search
Notices
Mountain Biking Mountain biking is one of the fastest growing sports in the world. Check out this forum to discuss the latest tips, tricks, gear and equipment in the world of mountain biking.

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-21, 08:01 PM
tungsten

Bikes: 1962 Cinelli Mod. "B" / 1988 Bailey 531c /2 - '92 Rocky Vertexs' / Obed Baseline / Transition Scout/ Raleigh Willard

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 104 Post(s)
Liked 66 Times in 41 Posts

hikers the next most, and horseback riders had the least.
https://www.counterpunch.org/2021/02...ess-will-help/

Quote below is f*cked up....
Forest Service Statement on Electronic Bicycle Use:
“Emerging technologies such as e-bikes are changing the way people enjoy their visits to national forests and grasslands. Today, more than 60,000 miles of trails and roads on national forests and grasslands are currently open to e-bike use. As use trends change with time and new technologies, the way we manage lands to ensure their long-term health and resilience must change as well. This is why we are closely examining our policy to identify ways to expand access (emphasis added) for Americans to enjoy these recreation opportunities on our forests and grasslands in ways that meet user needs while continuing to protect forest resources.”

Last edited by tungsten; 02-17-21 at 01:41 AM.
Old 02-16-21, 09:24 PM
UniChris

Bikes: 36" Unicycle, winter knock-around hybrid bike

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 930 Post(s)
Liked 393 Times in 282 Posts
You really should quote something like that in context:

Naylor and Wisdom (2009) found that elk feeding and resting behavior was impacted by all
types of human use, but motor vehicles and mountain bikes had the most impact, hikers the
next most, and horseback riders had the least.
So yeah, Elk don't grok things that go fast on wheels, they're pretty wary of people but horses kinda make sense to them.

Overall an interesting article about some challenging realities - the mere presence of people, people on wheels, and much of it devoted to the unique issues of people on motorized things.
Likes For UniChris:
Old 02-17-21, 07:30 AM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4335 Post(s)
Liked 3,958 Times in 2,646 Posts
Oh no they want to expand access to the outdoors to people who aren't big oil, logging or coal companies but are riding bikes but also try and keep the forests safe. Eeeeek sound the alarms.

Like or not people ride bikes and e-bikes are growing in popularity and they aren't going away and people who are stuck in the past about them are going to be left behind. This is an ever changing world and more e-bikes is better than more gas powered motor vehicles like motorcycles which do some actual damage. Yes an e-bike could damage a trial so could anyone else and frequently they do. If you ride like a normal person and not a jackass you won't destroy so much and if they make the trails it will be less tempting for folks to make their own and destroy more.
Old 02-17-21, 09:47 AM
prj71

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 2975 Post(s)
Liked 1,180 Times in 770 Posts
E-bikes are fine. As long as they stay off the mountain bike trail. And it's not about whether or not they will destroy the trail or not. It's about their speed and a safety factor.

You ever ride an e-mountain bike? I tried it once at demo. Specialized Turbo Levo. I could fly up hills so fast it was crazy.

If I'm busting my ass on a climb, the last thing I want is someone creeping up behind me on their pedal assisted e-bike.
Likes For prj71:
Old 02-17-21, 12:15 PM
DMC707

Bikes: Too many to list

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 1765 Post(s)
Liked 1,124 Times in 746 Posts
Originally Posted by veganbikes
Oh no they want to expand access to the outdoors to people who aren't big oil, logging or coal companies but are riding bikes but also try and keep the forests safe. Eeeeek sound the alarms.

Like or not people ride bikes and e-bikes are growing in popularity and they aren't going away ore.

e-bikes are great!

got caught up in the moment on my current bike build , but i slapped my forehead when i realized forhow much i have invested so far, i could have easilly had a nice Turbo Levo . Know a guy who has lost a significant amount of weight riding his and it helps him extend the rides and access trails he couldnt do otherwise (being in Oklahoma, i am in easy drive distance to the Bentonville area and can attest it is fun, but you have to have your climbing legs to really enjoy a lot of it
Likes For DMC707:
Old 02-17-21, 12:20 PM
DMC707

Originally Posted by prj71

If I'm busting my ass on a climb, the last thing I want is someone creeping up behind me on their pedal assisted e-bike.
Lol - the guys’ i ride with are all Cat 2 or Cat 1 Masters age riders. I am not. Im an extrack sprinter who weighs well over 200 pounds now.

I get this sensation on any climb from my buddies passing me at e bike speeds. Unless i am wearing ear buds, i can hear them coming from far enough back to give them some room (their bikes have brakes too - so do e bikes) . If im wearing ear buds, i get a good natured slap on the ass and hear a lot of laughter as they motor past
Old 02-20-21, 01:03 AM
DomoNishiki
DomoNishiki

Bikes: Shogun(Remember those!), Univega, Sekai etc..

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 1 Post
E-bikes are fine. As long as they stay off the mountain bike trail. And it's not about whether or not they will destroy the trail or not. It's about their speed and a safety factor.

You ever ride an e-mountain bike? I tried it once at demo. Specialized Turbo Levo. I could fly up hills so fast it was crazy.

Not looking to start anything but let me play the devil advocate.
So old people who need an assist can't be on your bike trails with an e-bike? You know the ones that paved and paid for those paths you are climbing?
My knees are shot out but I still love riding bikes and a little assist won't hurt. But I don't have one anyways.
Again NOT trying to start anything.
Cheers.

Last edited by DomoNishiki; 02-20-21 at 01:07 AM.
Old 02-20-21, 07:13 PM
Attilio

Bikes: Salsa!

Quoted: 93 Post(s)
Liked 63 Times in 39 Posts
I have found two sports that put me in proximity of wild creatures much more than being on foot. It seems that animals don't run away or run at all when I am either kayaking on on a bike, either biking on the road with one of my gravel bikes or on a trail with my MTB.
Old 02-22-21, 09:18 AM
prj71

Originally Posted by DomoNishiki
So old people who need an assist can't be on your bike trails with an e-bike? You know the ones that paved and paid for those paths you are climbing?
My knees are shot out but I still love riding bikes and a little assist won't hurt. But I don't have one anyways.
Cheers.
So your knees are shot. You are 5-6 miles back in the woods on the mountain bike trail and your bike breaks down and you have no way to fix it on the trail.

Are your shot knees in good enough shape to walk you and your 50 lb. bike back to the trailhead?
Old 02-22-21, 10:13 AM
DomoNishiki
DomoNishiki

Bikes: Shogun(Remember those!), Univega, Sekai etc..

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 1 Post
So your knees are shot. You are 5-6 miles back in the woods on the mountain bike trail and your bike breaks down and you have no way to fix it on the trail.

Are your shot knees in good enough shape to walk you and your 50 lb. bike back to the trailhead?
This quote wasn't about me per se it was a hypothetical situation. I wouldn't be on a 50# bike. I have a Nishiki Cromoly gravel bike I do well enough on. As I said, why exclude older healthier people(not me perhaps but I can roll a 50# bike just fine) who need an assist and maybe not as robust and energetic as someone in their 30's from riding the trails. There's too much "No old people on the road! Get out of my way" mentality. I see this too much in society casting old people aside if they aren't healthy enough or strong enough. They have every right to be there as you do enjoying it. Respectfully of course.
Peace.
Old 02-22-21, 10:39 AM
prj71

This quote wasn't about me per se it was a hypothetical situation. I wouldn't be on a 50# bike. I have a Nishiki Cromoly gravel bike I do well enough on. As I said, why exclude older healthier people(not me perhaps but I can roll a 50# bike just fine) who need an assist and maybe not as robust and energetic as someone in their 30's from riding the trails. There's too much "No old people on the road! Get out of my way" mentality. I see this too much in society casting old people aside if they aren't healthy enough or strong enough. They have every right to be there as you do enjoying it. Respectfully of course.
Peace.
Well what I described is also a hypothetical, but realistic, situation. I have been with friends way back on the trail that have had a mechanical breakdown and have had to walk their bike out. And the typical E-Mountain Bike weighs about 50 lbs.

And that's the thing with these bikes...Since you don't exert as much effort it allows people ride further into the back country.

I'm not tossing old people aside, but if you have knees that are shot or some other limiting physical condition...should you be riding on a trail way into the back country when you possibly would have trouble walking you and the bike out?

I think e-bikes are great for commuters or the recreational riders around town on bike paths. But don't like their use on Mountain Bike Trails.
Old 02-22-21, 11:03 AM
DMC707

Well what I described is also a hypothetical, but realistic, situation. I have been with friends way back on the trail that have had a mechanical breakdown and have had to walk their bike out. And the typical E-Mountain Bike weighs about 50 lbs.

And that's the thing with these bikes...Since you don't exert as much effort it allows people ride further into the back country.

I'm not tossing old people aside, but if you have knees that are shot or some other limiting physical condition...should you be riding on a trail way into the back country when you possibly would have trouble walking you and the bike out?

I think e-bikes are great for commuters or the recreational riders around town on bike paths. But don't like their use on Mountain Bike Trails.

Many of us have been in situations or far enough back into trails that hiking out would be problematic regardless of health or circumstances ---- since you have been riding for a long time - youve likely done this as well. Lots of times
Old 02-22-21, 11:59 AM
sloppy12

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 166 Post(s)
Liked 252 Times in 147 Posts

So basically a e bike is fine until its in your backyard?
Old 02-22-21, 01:33 PM
prj71

Originally Posted by DMC707
Many of us have been in situations or far enough back into trails that hiking out would be problematic regardless of health or circumstances ---- since you have been riding for a long time - youve likely done this as well. Lots of times
Knock on wood...I haven't had to walk a bike out yet. But I don't have any physical limitations at the moment that would prevent me from walking out if my bike broke down.
Old 02-22-21, 01:37 PM
prj71

Originally Posted by sloppy12
So basically a e bike is fine until its in your backyard?
My backyard is road, mountain, gravel and fat.
Old 02-22-21, 02:32 PM
Reflector Guy

Bikes: Bianchi Infinito XE, Via Nirone 7, GT Aggressor Pro

Quoted: 599 Post(s)
Liked 1,271 Times in 588 Posts
My backyard is road, mountain, gravel and fat.
Oh.... You live in your car?
Old 02-22-21, 03:25 PM
prj71

I think you were suggesting that "my backyard" means I only ride mountain bike trails.

I'm telling you that I ride road, gravel, mountain bike trails and snow bike trails. There is a place for e-bikes, but single track trails isn't one of those places.

Last edited by prj71; 02-23-21 at 08:46 AM.
Old 03-03-21, 01:30 AM
tungsten

Bikes: 1962 Cinelli Mod. "B" / 1988 Bailey 531c /2 - '92 Rocky Vertexs' / Obed Baseline / Transition Scout/ Raleigh Willard

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 104 Post(s)
Liked 66 Times in 41 Posts
I believe mountain biking is the greatest single threat to wildlife habitat integrity and new wilderness classifications.
https://www.counterpunch.org/2019/06...en-wilderness/

Also...
This is a short email that Brian Horejsi sent me on mountain biking and bears. It is a thoughtful review of how mountain biking can have substantial impacts on wildlife.
https://www.thewildlifenews.com/2014/...brian-horesji/

Last edited by tungsten; 03-03-21 at 01:34 AM.
Old 03-03-21, 09:28 AM
prj71

Originally Posted by DMC707
Knock on wood...I haven't had to do this yet. Everything has been repairable or able to be limped along back to the trailhead.

Although not always the case...Was on a ride this past fall and 3 miles into the ride my friends rear derailleur jumped into the spokes...both derailleur and chain were trashed and not able to be fixed on the trail. He had to walk back to the trailhead. If this would have happened on an e-bike 8 miles back on the trail and his knees were shot...might not have been fun.

Last edited by prj71; 03-03-21 at 09:39 AM.
Old 03-03-21, 09:44 AM
Happy Feet

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 2236 Post(s)
Liked 1,314 Times in 707 Posts
Hahhah..
Don't do this because a bad thing might happen to you.
Has that bad thing happened to you?
No. But don't do this because a bad thing might happen to you.

e-mtbs are pretty common at our local trail system. They are just like regular mtbs and push the same. Much ado about nothing.
Old 03-03-21, 01:10 PM
Kapusta
Advanced Slacker

Bikes: Soma Fog Cutter, Surly Wednesday, Canfielld Tilt

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 2761 Post(s)
Liked 2,534 Times in 1,433 Posts
"But it's FUUUUUN!!!!" is not a metric by which access should be assessed.

Yes, e-bikes are fun. Dirt bikes have always been fun.

Last edited by Kapusta; 03-03-21 at 02:28 PM.
Old 03-03-21, 01:17 PM
prj71

Originally Posted by Happy Feet
Hahhah..
Don't do this because a bad thing might happen to you.
Has that bad thing happened to you?
No. But don't do this because a bad thing might happen to you.

e-mtbs are pretty common at our local trail system. They are just like regular mtbs and push the same. Much ado about nothing.
Well if one is riding e-bikes because of some physical limitation, it is something that should be considered.
Old 03-03-21, 01:19 PM
Kapusta
Advanced Slacker

Cheers.
I'm all for some sort of handicapped tag for people who "need" assist.

But expanding access to the disabled is not at all what the burgeoning e-bike market is about. Of the ten or so people I now know who ride e-bikes, not a single one is not capable of pedaling a normal bike.
Old 03-03-21, 01:25 PM
Kapusta
Advanced Slacker

What paved MTB trails are you riding?

Most MTB trails I ride are maintained by volunteers. When I start to see e-bikers showing of for trailwork days, I'll be more open to this argument.
Old 03-03-21, 01:29 PM
prj71

Originally Posted by Kapusta
But expanding access to the disabled is not at all what the burgeoning e-bike market is about. Of the ten or so people I now know who ride e-bikes, not a single one is not capable of pedaling a normal bike.
Yup. I'm seeing the same thing.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.