Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Where do you keep your phone?

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Where do you keep your phone?

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-12, 10:42 PM
doctor j

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 3 Posts
iPhone in ziplock bag in left jersey pocket. Protects against sweat and rain. So far, so good.
Old 12-10-12, 10:46 PM
TheOtherBob

Bikes: 2012 CAAD10

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
You don't want to know.

(But seriously, in my jersey in a baggie. It's never gotten wet that way, and I sweat pretty hard.)
Old 12-10-12, 11:01 PM
zonatandem

Bikes: Custom Zona c/f tandem + Scott Plasma single

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 11 Posts
At home on the desk.
Old 12-10-12, 11:24 PM
Beaker
moth -----> flame

Bikes: 11 CAAD 10-4, 07 Specialized Roubaix Comp, 98 Peugeot Horizon

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Was also a ziploc devotee, then at got one of these - great for phone, money, insurance card, cc etc. works great.

https://www.timbuk2.com/tb2/products/...cycling-wallet
Old 12-10-12, 11:34 PM
alexaschwanden
Bike rider

Bikes: 2017 Raleigh Clubman

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Pouch pocket in the cycling jacket.
Old 12-10-12, 11:52 PM
bielijbog

Bikes: 2003 Specialized S-Works E5

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Jersey pocket in a ziplock with a small hole poked in it for headphones.
Old 12-10-12, 11:57 PM
WingSuit

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
In my jerseypocket in a LifeProof case. Slim profile, completely waterproof.
Old 12-11-12, 12:31 AM
Machka 
In Real Life

Bikes: Lots

Mentioned: 141 Post(s)
Quoted: 3203 Post(s)
Liked 596 Times in 329 Posts
Mine is still in whatever kind of store sells phones.
Old 12-11-12, 02:16 AM
icyclist 
Spin Meister

Bikes: Trek Émonda, 1961 Follis (French) road bike (I'm the original owner), a fixie, a mountain bike, etc.

Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked 41 Times in 16 Posts
I usually use a ziplock bag.

When I want to dress up and impress my riding companions, I use a case from elevengear.com. It's got a clever design and is made from recycled tire tubes.

Old 12-11-12, 02:33 AM
speedwobbles

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Ziploc bag in jersey pocket. My phone saved my ass the other day when I realized I was 40 km from home with only about 20-30 minutes left of daylight. I was able to find a route to the nearest train station to avoid being stuck on the roads with no lights.
Old 12-11-12, 02:47 AM
hamster

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Jersey pocket, almost every mile of the distance that you can see in my sig. No ziploc bag or anything. Sweat has never been a problem. I had iPhone about 90% of the time and, after it died, I got Motorola Razr i (the one with the Intel chip.) Wouldn't leave home without it. I think I actually lost some fitness a couple of months ago because I couldn't train properly between phones (iPhone was already dead, I didn't have the Razr yet, and I didn't want to go more than a few miles from home without a phone.)

Instead of headphones with their annoying wires, I use LG HBS700 Bluetooth headset. Quite an ingenious contraption, surprisingly good sound quality for earbuds, it stays in place even at 40 mph, and it's easy to forget that you have it on if the earbuds are not in your ears. It's supported by Spotify and Audible apps.

Last edited by hamster; 12-11-12 at 02:50 AM.
Old 12-11-12, 02:48 AM
eddiepliers 

Bikes: 2011 Scott Addict R3 and Redline Conquest with Campy Veloce

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
..But seriously, if the weather is chilly, I tuck my phone in the small chest zip pocket on my shell. Otherwise, in a jersey pocket.
This
Old 12-11-12, 03:28 AM
Fox Farm

Bikes: Merlin Extra Light, Orbea Orca, Ritchey Outback,Tomac Revolver Mountain Bike, Cannondale Crit 3.0 now used for time trials.

Quoted: 126 Post(s)
Liked 55 Times in 34 Posts
Originally Posted by saintsfaninks26
I just put it in a tiny zip lock bag in my jersey. Never had any issues.
exactly
Old 12-11-12, 04:43 AM
contango 
2 Fat 2 Furious

Bikes: 2009 Specialized Rockhopper Comp Disc, 2009 Specialized Tricross Sport RIP

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by maverick31210
Looking for some opinions here,

I have an under seat bag where I keep a CO2 can, valve, tyre level, a multi tool, and I shove my phone in there too. I want to get rid of the bag for aesthetic reasons and I can put everything in it in my jersey pockets. I don't really want to do that with my phone because I'll sweat and it'll develop condensation. Any ideas on this would be very much appreciated.
Put the phone in a waterproof bag (a simple sandwich bag will do), roll the bag up around the phone and put it in the zipped jersey pocket so it can't bounce out however bad a pothole you hit.
Old 12-11-12, 05:27 AM
Homebrew01
Super Moderator

Bikes: Old Steelies I made, Old Cannondales

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1173 Post(s)
Liked 927 Times in 612 Posts
Originally Posted by Velo Dog
I leave it on the kitchen table. One of the reasons I ride is to get some time away from phones and people, and the day I can't be self-sufficient on a ride, my bikes go on Craigslist.
But seriously, you think a bunch of crap in your jersey pockets is more aesthetic than an underseat bag?
We have a winner !

FYI: https://www.bikeforums.net/forum-sugg...ad-please.html
Old 12-11-12, 05:34 AM
AdelaaR

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
It's always in my left jersey pocket ... with earbuds-wire routed under my jersey for radio or music.
Old 12-11-12, 05:42 AM
contango 
2 Fat 2 Furious

Bikes: 2009 Specialized Rockhopper Comp Disc, 2009 Specialized Tricross Sport RIP

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
I leave it on the kitchen table. One of the reasons I ride is to get some time away from phones and people, and the day I can't be self-sufficient on a ride, my bikes go on Craigslist.
But seriously, you think a bunch of crap in your jersey pockets is more aesthetic than an underseat bag?
I agree with the sentiment but if I were involved in a crash or a wipeout sufficiently ugly that I couldn't fix the bike and continue, it would be nice to be able to call for help.

It's also handy if I'm cycling a significant distance to visit someone I can let them track my progress with something like Latitude.
Old 12-11-12, 05:43 AM
eja_ bottecchia

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1020 Post(s)
Liked 463 Times in 293 Posts
Aren't you special?

I too ride to get "time away." There are, however, a number of reasons all good and valid why I and the majority of riders would want to carry a cellphone. YMMV.

As for the OP question, a ZipLoc works great.
Old 12-11-12, 06:50 AM
dtrain
L-I-V-I-N

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
If folks want to try a cheaper version of the Timbuk2 or Jersey Bin, check here:
https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread...ike-JerseyBin)

They are thicker, waterproof, vinyl pouches left over from a work conference - and happen to be a nice size for jersery pocket duty. Unfortunately, I've only sold a few and heard some comments that Ziplocs do the trick (which is hard to argue with).

Apologies for pimping my own for sale thread - but I'm not exact making any money on these. Just trying to pass them along to other cyclists and see them used.

'14 carbon Synapse - '12 CAAD 10 5 - '99 Gary Fisher Big Sur

Last edited by dtrain; 12-11-12 at 09:37 AM.
Old 12-11-12, 09:15 AM
Beaker
moth -----> flame

Bikes: 11 CAAD 10-4, 07 Specialized Roubaix Comp, 98 Peugeot Horizon

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by contango
I agree with the sentiment but if I were involved in a crash or a wipeout sufficiently ugly that I couldn't fix the bike and continue, it would be nice to be able to call for help.
I was glad to have my phone earlier this year when I wiped out and broke my collarbone on an early morning solo training ride. I'd always been in the habit of taking it with me when I ride for the "just in case" factor, just as I had got into the habit of carrying my medical insurance card. Not fun to think about, but it quickly becomes second nature.
Old 12-11-12, 09:21 AM
tagaproject6

Bikes: Wilier Izoard XP (Record);Cinelli Xperience (Force);Specialized Allez (Rival);Bianchi Via Nirone 7 (Centaur); Colnago AC-R Disc;Colnago V1r Limited Edition;De Rosa King 3 Limited(Force 22);DeRosa Merak(Red):Pinarello Dogma 65.1 Hydro(Di2)

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 551 Post(s)
Liked 277 Times in 145 Posts
Ziplock in seat bag or in jersey pocket. Depends. It is not complicated. Aesthetics??? Take a good look at all that bulging mess in your jersey pocket when you stuff all that in there. I am pretty sure no one is going to mistake you for being excited to see them.
Old 12-11-12, 09:36 AM
TrekFix

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I would leave mine at home but, take it for emergency use only. You never know when you may need to order a pizza

I had a top tube bag by Zipp that I liked but, usually just put it in a ziplock in the jersey pocket. my phone is old school and pretty small. Funny how phones keep getting bigger and bigger now.
Old 12-11-12, 09:42 AM
PatrickGSR94

Bikes: 2011 Felt Z85 (road/commuter), 2006 Marin Pine Mountain (utility/commuter E-bike), 1995 KHS Alite 1000 (gravel grinder)

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 676 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 13 Posts
I recently picked up a "bento box" bag I think they're called? Attaches around the stem spacers and top tube. The top panel of the bag is clear on top for a smart phone, which I've been putting my phone in and using Strava with it. But then last night when riding in 34° weather with Strava running for 1.5 hours, my iPhone battery didn't really take too well to that. I think the cold and continuous app running made it think the battery was konked out. Luckily a guy on the ride with us had a little emergency iPhone charger battery pack that he let me use, which gave it a little boost. On the way back I kept the phone stashed in my windbreaker pocket.
Old 12-11-12, 10:26 AM
AdelaaR

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by eja_ bottecchia
Aren't you special?

I too ride to get "time away." There are, however, a number of reasons all good and valid why I and the majority of riders would want to carry a cellphone.
I agree.
I (almost) never answer phone calls when riding ... but it's always good to have it handy ... just in case.
Old 12-11-12, 10:33 AM
Looigi

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 12 Posts
In the seat bag for emergency use, or in a plastic bag in a jersey pocket when using it with headphones to listen to music. I do not answer calls when riding.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.