Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Folding Bikes
Reload this Page >

Genesis Folding Bike

Notices
Folding Bikes Discuss the unique features and issues of folding bikes. Also a great place to learn what folding bike will work best for your needs.

Genesis Folding Bike

Old 02-25-15, 08:29 PM
kurtp13

Bikes: Trek 820, Cannondale F500 with Trekking bars and road tires, Bianchi Alfana, Panasonic PCI "Les Maillots", Cannondale M1000 Tandem, Schwinn Johnny, Trek Lime, 1964 Armstrong, 1962 Raleigh Gazelle, 1964 AMF Hercules, Brooklyn Cruiser Driggs

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I received my new Genesis bike today. I unboxed it and that's about it. I ran around a lot today and didn't feel like doing the inevitable adjustments. I weighed it with my luggage scale and it measured 27.1 and 27.2 lbs after multiple attempts. I couldn't stop it from light swinging before the scale would hold the reading.

First impressions.
The loop stand was bent at the flat plate but not collapsed like another poster's bike. It was twisted around the mounting bolt. I took pictures but I couldn't get them to load and I don't have the patience tonight. I will post later. I bent the loop back without issue. It was not cracked. I don't have an issue with it. The paint cracked in this area but it's still structurally sound.

The paint is very nice. I have an old Cannondale and this paint is rich and wet looking like that. Photos are not going to do justice to it. I'm very impressed. The clear plastic stickers to avoid contact scratches give it a nicely finished look. Even Brompton owners add their own clear cover stickers to protect against contact marks. So this is a nice thing to have pre applied.

The joints are a little stiff. I will lube them and try at another time. But right now it feels awkward to fold.

It does not have the look of a cheap bike. It has a much better appearance than the bikes in stock at Walmart. Other than the stamped rear derailleur (maybe grips and seat) it looks more expensive than it is.

Can't wait to ride it but snow is coming tonight so there isn't any rush to tune it up.

I have to thank Atombikes with clearing the path and finding this diamond in the rough. I would have bought something else and I think I would have been less satisfied.
Old 02-26-15, 12:42 PM
cocoabeachcrab 
Myrtle Beach Crab

Bikes: enough one would think, but thinking isn't my strong point

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 270 Post(s)
Liked 518 Times in 208 Posts
make sure to check your wheel and BB bearings for lube and adjustment before riding. mine was way over tightened and not much grease.
Old 02-26-15, 01:19 PM
kurtp13

Bikes: Trek 820, Cannondale F500 with Trekking bars and road tires, Bianchi Alfana, Panasonic PCI "Les Maillots", Cannondale M1000 Tandem, Schwinn Johnny, Trek Lime, 1964 Armstrong, 1962 Raleigh Gazelle, 1964 AMF Hercules, Brooklyn Cruiser Driggs

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by cocoabeachcrab
make sure to check your wheel and BB bearings for lube and adjustment before riding. mine was way over tightened and not much grease.
Thanks for the advice. I'll take a look. I don't expect to be riding for a bit so I have time.
Old 02-26-15, 02:09 PM
cocoabeachcrab 
Myrtle Beach Crab

I bought mine about a month ago, haven't been able to ride it, so I've been souping it up for when the snow melts. friggin snow!
Old 02-26-15, 03:19 PM
kurtp13

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I bought mine about a month ago, haven't been able to ride it, so I've been souping it up for when the snow melts. friggin snow!
Tell us more about what you are doing to it. I don't plan on doing much but hand grips and bar ends are in my hands now. And I want to adapt a handle bar bag to the seat post. I'm hoping I can get by with the current gearing. Hard to tell from inside the house.
Old 02-26-15, 08:08 PM
cocoabeachcrab 
Myrtle Beach Crab

well, I swapped out the freewheel (the original one is a clunker) with a 7 speed shimano, replaced the rear derailleur and installed some sexy gold sealed bearing pulleys in the derailleur, replaced the crank with a campy record 53t, dumped the plastic pedals, a pair of maxxis tires, and my brooks b67 saddle on top of a controltech post (i'm not a lightweight guy...)
Old 02-26-15, 09:23 PM
kurtp13

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I did a quick ride today. I've done several rides on M-type Bromptons and I thought the seating position was similar. The rear freewheel appears to have some axial runout. The derailleur is moving slightly side to side in the lower gears when responding to the free wheel movement. But overall I liked it a lot. Too cold to give it a good shakedown. The seat is hard and needs to be replaced. The tires are too soft. The handgrips too thin. I expected to do these based on the experience of others. I've done the same on almost every other bike I've bought, so I don't know that I would have saved much with another brand.

The gear changes are a little crisper than I expected. I've ridden Walmart level bikes before and the gear changes were much more vague.

I also loaded it in a suitcase I already owned. It was narrower than Atombike's suitcase and it's a soft side case rather than a hard case. The bike fit but I had to deflate the tires. It was also more disassembly than I realized when reading prior posts. But then I looked at earlier posted photos and there was the same level of disassembly that I needed to do. For instance, I wasn't thinking I needed to remove the derailleur. I tried to put it back together as if I were traveling (no stand). It was a bit more work than I was expecting. I felt as times like I could use another hand. I don't know if I would bother for an overnight. At least at my current expertise level with this particular bike.

I also think I talked myself into QR axles. Just one less thing to mess with. I inadvertently tightened the bearing cups on the rear wheel and was starting to get a little frustrated.

I also discovered that the original build didn't bottom the rear axle into the dropout slots. So after I put it back together I had to adjust the brake pad position.

I am sure I will get better at this with time and practice but because it's small and 'floppy', it is a little difficult to control, at least the way I was handling it. That's probably why I need a sequence for reassembly. I also might need to stop sweating my concern about scratches. I was trying to avoid them. I don't think I added any but I don't know if I should care.
Old 02-26-15, 09:32 PM
kurtp13

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
well, I swapped out the freewheel (the original one is a clunker) with a 7 speed shimano, replaced the rear derailleur and installed some sexy gold sealed bearing pulleys in the derailleur, replaced the crank with a campy record 53t, dumped the plastic pedals, a pair of maxxis tires, and my brooks b67 saddle on top of a controltech post (i'm not a lightweight guy...)
Can you post the model #'s of the equipment you added? I was thinking a possible change to a 52 or 53 T chainwheel with a MegaRange freewheel (14-34T) to give me a climbing gear.

I'm also curious if anyone changed out rim strips. I usually use Velox fabric tape and have had good luck. Did you replace the rim strip? I don't know what the current one looks like. Sometimes they are really cheesy on cheap bikes.
Old 02-27-15, 09:44 AM
cocoabeachcrab 
Myrtle Beach Crab

XLC 4 finger brake levers, XLC 630mm BMX handlebars with tan leather grips, Shimano RD A070 rear d with VKtech sealed bearing gold pulleys, Shimano Tourney 13-28th freewheel, maxxis 20x1.05 Hookworm tires, Brooks B67 tan leather saddle with Controltech seat post , Campagnolo Record 53t crankset, nice little tan leather tool bag from Etsy
Old 03-09-15, 06:48 PM
kurtp13

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
So I thought I had a freewheel noise. Many others complained about the freewheel noise. Atombikes reported that he had a Fleaby brand freewheel which was noisy. I thought I had a similar noise but it was more of a scraping than a rhythmic noise.

I discovered that the stand on the bottom of the bike was spaced too close to the inner chainwheel guard and was rubbing when I pedaled. It was line to line with the chain guard. No noise when not pushed hard.

I noticed it and bent the stand out of the way when on a ride.

My freewheel appears to be a different brand than the earlier posters bikes. So that may be why I don't have the same noise they had. My freewheel brand name appears to be Three Arrows. It's still destined for removal when I can get time to change my gearing but it's good to know that seems to have been changed. I bought my bike in Feb, so the vendor may have been changed.

The weather has improved. It's good to be out riding again.
Old 03-15-15, 04:56 PM
kurtp13

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Beautiful day. Shaking down the traveling bike. Need More Gears! I'm spinning like a Whirling Dervish at ~15+ mph. I haven't changed out the stock drivetrain but parts are in the mail. 53T chainring is coming.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
Bike Forum Genesis 1.jpg (96.8 KB, 83 views)
Bike Forum Genesis 2.jpg (97.4 KB, 76 views)
Old 03-15-15, 06:05 PM
atombikes

Bikes: homebuilt FWD recumbents, Genesis 20" folding bike, 1986 Schwinn Tempo, Cannondale Beast of the East, 70's Peugeot

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by kurtp13

Beautiful day. Shaking down the traveling bike. Need More Gears! I'm spinning like a Whirling Dervish at ~15+ mph. I haven't changed out the stock drivetrain but parts are in the mail. 53T chainring is coming.
Bravo! The 53t will make quite a difference (obviously).
Old 03-22-15, 07:17 PM
kurtp13

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Genesis Progress

OK confession time. I returned the first Genesis bike I got. But I did this recently and ordered a new one before I returned the first. The RH rear dropout was bent outward at the bottom. When I first took this apart to try it in a bag, I thought I was having some difficulty putting it back together since I was laying on the living room floor. I was trying to work as if I was in a hotel room. I should have taken it apart in the garage first. So I thought the resistance in reinstalling the rear axle was me not aligning the parts properly in my awkward position.

When I finally figured it out I ordered another right away before taking back the first one. The first one wasn’t unridable but didn’t fit together well and had a bent rear axle also. Due to a lot of schedule issues last month I didn’t have time to mess around with the whole process. So just this week after comparing the bikes, I returned the first one.

I still think it’s a good value. I don’t know if anyone would notice the flaw if they didn’t take it apart. The frame seems well constructed despite what appeared to be weld distortion in the first bike.

Both bikes had forks slightly out of square. I don’t know if everyone would notice but I tend to see stuff like this. I switched forks and the old fork was a little better. So I switched it back.

The first bike had a quiet freewheel (brand: Three Arrows). The second bike had a noisy freewheel (brand: Great Wall as I remember). I kept the quiet one even though I planned to replace it. It’s possible this might go back to the original condition at some point so I wanted something that worked properly.

On to the mods. Taking parts from an older mountain bike didn’t work as well as I had hoped. The one part I did use successfully was an Acera rear derailleur. The used freewheel seemed to be worn on the small first two cogs. It was skipping right from the get go. I don’t remember this on the original bike, but maybe everything was worn in together. So I got a Shimano MF-HG37 Tourney Freewheel (13-28T 7 Speed) and put that on yesterday.

Chainring: 53T
Crankset: SHIMANO 2300 FC-2350 170mm (110 BCD)
Freewheel: Used 7 sp Shimano Megarange 14-34T. Then changed to Shimano MF-HG37 Tourney Freewheel (13-28T 7 Speed)
Shifter: Shimano SL-RS45 Tourney Revo Shifter (7 Speed)
Chain: KMC Z33 NP
Tires: Kenda K-193 Kwest Commuter Wire Bead SRC/PRC Bike Tire, Black, 20-Inch x 1.5mm
Rim Tape: Velox
Grips: Andoer Ergon Style w/ Bar Ends
Bottle cage: Bell Clinch 600
Saddle: Selle Royal Lookin' Basic Moderate Men's Saddle
T handle for bag mount on seat post: Minoura SGS-400 OS Handlebar Accessory Mount: 27.2-35mm
Bell: MIRRYCLE INCREDIBELL Big Brass Bike Bell

I love this bike so far. Today I took a longer ride 16 miles on my usual hilly route. The mods really help the practical use of the bike. The chainring had to be mounted on the inside of the spider in order to clean up the chainline. I was hoping to leave on a crawler chainring gear to drop the chain on by hand if I was in a hilly area. But I may have to update the crankset or the bottom bracket axle offset sometime in the future in order to get that. I think there is room even if a front derailleur can’t be fitted.

I had a trigger shifter on my mountain bike that could have been used but I liked the compactness of the twist shifter. So I bought a new 7 speed shifter.

I was going to rave about the Bell water bottle holder but dropping down the couple of inch ledge from my driveway to street caused me to lose the bottle twice. I could be a little tighter. Being mounted on my steering post and not leaning forward probably doesn’t help the situation.

The small light is from REI and not much good for seeing, just for being seen. It's small so a good light to just keep attached.

The rear light is tie strapped to an open area on the back of the seat. The Selle Royal seat offers a clip attachment for their own light but the reviews for the light are terrible. I had a light already and attaching here positions it just above the bag on the seat post.

The grips were cut back to fit with the twist shifter and a little on the LH side. Too short really. I thought they were going to be similar in length to the ones that came off, but somehow I cut them a little short. Not a big deal. Not an expensive item and I can replace them if I can't live with the shorter grip. I didn't live to the Measure Twice, Cut Once axiom.

The blue tooth speaker is something I move from bike to bike. Nothing new here. I can set up a LED flashlight for a headlight with the same velcro/rubber block attachment.

Future Mods

DNP Freewheel 11-32T
Chainguard
SATORI Adjustable Stem extender
Some kind of quick on and off phone holder. I would like there to be the ability to hold a backup battery on the holder also.
Quick release axles

I want a wider range so I’m getting the DNP freewheel. It expands the top and bottom range. I’ve seen mixed review messages about the durability of these DNP freewheels but I like in a hilly area and would also like more top end. I'll chance it.

The chainguard just seems like a good idea. I will be riding when on trips and might be a variety of clothing.

The stem extender should open up the reach a little which I’m interested in trying out.
Attached Images
20150321_170616 (1024x576).jpg (92.9 KB, 54 views)
20150321_170535 (1024x576).jpg (94.1 KB, 52 views)
20150321_170544 (1024x576).jpg (103.5 KB, 63 views)
20150321_170558 (1024x576).jpg (94.5 KB, 46 views)
Old 03-28-15, 07:25 PM
kurtp13

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Milford Michigan. I love being able to travel with the bike.
Attached Images
2015-03-28 21.08.09.jpg (100.0 KB, 53 views)
Old 03-28-15, 09:40 PM
atombikes

Bikes: homebuilt FWD recumbents, Genesis 20" folding bike, 1986 Schwinn Tempo, Cannondale Beast of the East, 70's Peugeot

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by kurtp13

Milford Michigan. I love being able to travel with the bike.
That's awesome. Did you fly with it?
Old 03-29-15, 06:08 AM
kurtp13

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by atombikes
That's awesome. Did you fly with it?
No I only drove on this trip. So it was in my trunk. I also stopped in Pittsburgh on the way and rode along the riverfront for about an hour.
Next month I'll have an opportunity to fly with it.

I found some very small state flag stickers and I'm going to add those to the bike as I ride through each one. I think the flag stickers are normally marketed for use on motorcycle helmets.
Attached Images
2015-03-28 21.13.33.jpg (99.5 KB, 42 views)
Old 04-02-15, 11:09 AM
Bikeman58

Bikes: Giant Defy, 1977 LeJeune #1 French Team Bike, Geoffrey Butler custom, Specialized Stumpjumper, Gary Fisher SuperCaliber, Bianchi Volpe, Melon Slice folding bike, Genesis folding bike, etc.

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Impressed by GENESIS

Okay... I am officially impressed by this and will likely take the Genesis plunge. My only question is how strong/stiff is the stem assembly. I like to ride out of the saddle a fair amount and some folders stem and bar assemblies are way to flexy. I want to modify to have a bit more reach as I don't like an upright position and this also puts stress on the stem assembly.

Thanks (in advance) for feedback on this!!
Old 04-02-15, 11:46 AM
atombikes

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Bikeman58
Okay... I am officially impressed by this and will likely take the Genesis plunge. My only question is how strong/stiff is the stem assembly. I like to ride out of the saddle a fair amount and some folders stem and bar assemblies are way to flexy. I want to modify to have a bit more reach as I don't like an upright position and this also puts stress on the stem assembly.

Thanks (in advance) for feedback on this!!
The stem seems stiff enough. Lengthening your reach does place more strain on the riser, but the stresses are working on the hinge, not the locking pins (see pic).

Since this is a quill-style riser, it's easily replaced with something else.

Old 04-02-15, 01:22 PM
atombikes

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
XLC 4 finger brake levers, XLC 630mm BMX handlebars with tan leather grips, Shimano RD A070 rear d with VKtech sealed bearing gold pulleys, Shimano Tourney 13-28th freewheel, maxxis 20x1.05 Hookworm tires, Brooks B67 tan leather saddle with Controltech seat post , Campagnolo Record 53t crankset, nice little tan leather tool bag from Etsy
You gotta post some pics!
Old 04-02-15, 07:31 PM
kurtp13

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Detroit Slow Roll opener. My Genesis is hidden between my sister and brother in law bikes.

Stop on a trip home in West Virginia. I think I stumbled into Bicycle Heaven. I found an antique shop with a focus on old bikes. Folder is in the mix. I talked to the owner longer than I rode.

Back to its roots. I couldn't resist. This is the local store.

Updates to the bike. Driveline chain guard. Stem extender. DNS Epoch 7 speed 11-32 T freewheel. The stem extender complicates the fold a bit and requires me to extend the handlebar to tuck it under the frame but I like it.
Attached Images
2015-04-02 21.14.10.jpg (107.5 KB, 53 views)
2015-04-02 21.16.48.jpg (105.1 KB, 49 views)
2015-04-02 21.16.16.jpg (98.9 KB, 61 views)
Old 04-03-15, 06:10 AM
westgl

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I like the looks of the Genesis.

I just bought the REI Novara Flyby 7spd IGH shimano Hub for $420 out the door.

But I am considering a second folder, for me, and the Genesis may be the one, My future Son in law needs a bike to get around on, in Seattle Wa. city riding, this may be a great bike for him.
Old 04-03-15, 05:24 PM
kurtp13

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by westgl

But I am considering a second folder, for me, and the Genesis may be the one, My future Son in law needs a bike to get around on, in Seattle Wa. city riding, this may be a great bike for him.
I saw the Flyby at REI. It looks very nice. I like the internal hub. Seems like it would be easier to pack. If I didn't already have the investment in the Genesis I might have gotten that bike with the current discounts.
Old 04-05-15, 09:50 AM
Bikeman58

Bikes: Giant Defy, 1977 LeJeune #1 French Team Bike, Geoffrey Butler custom, Specialized Stumpjumper, Gary Fisher SuperCaliber, Bianchi Volpe, Melon Slice folding bike, Genesis folding bike, etc.

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by westgl

Just curious how you got this price. In my market the Flyby is $600... less a 20% member special discount = $480. + $38.40 in sales tax = $518.40... almost $100 more than you paid. You must have gotten 35% off... how did you swing that?
Old 04-05-15, 01:46 PM
westgl

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
hey Bikeman58,

flyby is $599.00 call it $600 to make it easy

20% discount
$600 -$120.00 = $480

State of Oregon has ZERO sales tax. NICE!!! buying cars no sales tax is Great! it all adds up over a year or many years!

end of year Novara gives you back $60.00 for being a REI customer, on the purchase of the Flyby

$480 - $60.00 = $420.00 was my end price

Last edited by westgl; 04-05-15 at 01:56 PM.
Old 04-05-15, 01:52 PM
westgl

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Bikeman58

You will get $60.00 back for being a REI customer about this time next year.

Bringing your overall net price down by $60.00, so your cost is about $460.00, look at the add for the Flyby it is on the page, read it carefully.

I cant help you on the taxes thing.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.