Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

1st Day Back...

Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

1st Day Back...

Old 03-29-15, 10:52 AM
Retro Grouch 

Bikes: Catrike 559 I own some others but they don't get ridden very much.

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1572 Post(s)
Liked 642 Times in 363 Posts
Originally Posted by Beverly
I just recently started reading and posting again. Good to see some of the old regulars returning.
It's good to hear from you again too.

By the way, Mrs. Grouch and I are heading to Xenia May 1 to 4 for a (mostly) recumbent rally.
Old 03-29-15, 05:05 PM
Artkansas 
Pedaled too far.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
Congratulations on your recovery.

Originally Posted by Bjforrestal
I don't care if you are on a unicycle, as long as you're not using a motor to get places you get props from me. We're here to support each other. Share ideas, and motivate one another to actually keep doing it.
Old 03-30-15, 07:42 PM
fishboy316

Bikes: Cervelo S5, Cannondale AL1 Lefty MTB, Trek X01, Trek Farley 7,1951 Raleigh Sport, 57&60 Raleigh Tourist, 70 Raleigh Super Course, 80's Soma Prestiege,72 Raleigh Grand Sports, 85 Club Fuji, 76 Raleigh Competition, 85 Panasonic,70's Peugot u08. & more

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked 25 Times in 17 Posts
Glad to see you are back!!! Hope you continue to improve! I know how it felt to get back on the bike! I know now I really enjoy and don't take any ride for granted. I can't imagine not being able to ride again. This passion has surpassed fishing for me and nobody can believe it!

An illness is what brought me to cycling. I did 48 weeks of chemo and beat my illness. I decided that the Good Lord was not done with me yet so I was going to be in better shape than I had been. Decided I did not want to be inside a gym and don't like to run so the next thing was to get a bike and go for it. Found I have a passion for riding and can't believe I have a terrible sickness to thank for it! Started with mtb (c-dale al1 lefty)and then got a roadie(cervelo S5) and have had a blast with both. Now I also got a cross bike(trek X01) and really like it. About 7 months ago I crashed on my lefty and broke my back and tailbone. I just got back about 1 month ago. It sucked to not be able to ride but I have counted my blessings and I know it could been a lot worse! Haven't tried the lefty yet but will soon. Don't know if I will be able to ride singletrack like I used to but can still tear up on a roadie! Time will tell.
Bill
Old 03-31-15, 11:32 AM
berner

Bikes: Specialized Secteur, old Peugeot

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 663 Post(s)
Liked 496 Times in 299 Posts
Your description of the cause and treatment of your ITB issue was interesting to me because while I don't have that malady, I do a series of strengthening exercises to stave off overuse injuries. So your description confirms for me that I'm on the right track. Glad you're back on the bike and may improvement continue.
Old 04-28-15, 05:32 AM
Beverly
Senior Member ??

Bikes: 2007 Trek Madone 5.0 WSD - 2007 Trek 4300 WSD - 2008 Trek 520 - 2014 Catrike Trail

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Retro Grouch
It's good to hear from you again too.

By the way, Mrs. Grouch and I are heading to Xenia May 1 to 4 for a (mostly) recumbent rally.
I'm hoping to make a day or two of the recumbent rally. I know Richard (rtool) will be doing that ride. Our friend John recently had a heart attack and won't be riding.

I'm currently in Williamsburg, VA with a couple cousins on vacation but will be back for the rally. Hope to see you there.

Enjoy the little things in life, for one day you may look back and realize they were the big things.
-- Antonio Smith