Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

Trailer..?

Search
Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

Trailer..?

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-05, 04:28 PM
pwarre20

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Trailer..?

I'm shopping for a trailer for a long distance tour, and I was wondering if anyone had experience with some of the less popular trailers, specifically the Croozer Cargo (I'm a student and the cost is appealing), or the Bike-Hod. But I'm also interested in the BOB Yak and the Burley Nomad.

Thanks!
Old 07-22-05, 05:14 PM
biodiesel

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
if you want cheap try this one!
https://www.otivia.com/lawnchair.htm
Old 07-22-05, 05:17 PM
biodiesel

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
never ridden a bike-hod but suspect theyre unstable at speed.

looked at xtracycle.com ?
a bit more expensive but an option to trailered touring.
Old 07-22-05, 05:54 PM
pwarre20

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I don't know how I feel about adding an extension to my bike, especially at that price.
Old 07-22-05, 08:34 PM
andrewh
where2pedalto.com

Bikes: LoGo Recumbent Trike

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by pwarre20
I'm shopping for a trailer for a long distance tour, and I was wondering if anyone had experience with some of the less popular trailers, specifically the Croozer Cargo (I'm a student and the cost is appealing), or the Bike-Hod. But I'm also interested in the BOB Yak and the Burley Nomad.

Thanks!
The Croozer Cargo looks good. For my money though a Bob is fabulous! We took one around Australia and it never failed us once!
Regards
Andrew
https://www.where2pedalto.gr8m8s.net
Old 07-22-05, 08:52 PM
DCCommuter
52-week commuter

Bikes: Redline Conquest, Cannonday, Specialized, RANS

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I have two Wike (https://www.wicycle.com/) trailers that I really like. When loaded, they seem to make the bike easier to ride, with better balance -- except for the added weight, of course. When my twins were four I took them for a short self-contained tour in the trailer, and between the kids, the camping gear, food and water I probably had 90 lbs in the trailer and it was never really an issue, except going up hills. I just couldn't go terribly fast -- although I did hit almost 30 mph going downhill!

I did about 40 miles on an unpaved road, and in the muddy spots I found that the rear wheel couldn't generate enough traction to pull the load, so I had to walk my bike.

I've probably only put a few hundred miles on my trailers so it's hard to comment on the long-term durability other than they haven't failed yet.
Old 07-22-05, 11:42 PM
womble
No longer in Wimbledon...

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I used a BOB Yak. Were I to do another serious tour that involved hills, I'd get panniers. The trailer was fine for good, flat roads, but made the bike jittery on fast downhills.

One thing the trailer was good for was packing- I just carried my usual backpack in it.
Old 07-23-05, 08:09 AM
pwarre20

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm using my road racing bike and it doesn't have adequate heel clearance for large enough panniers to carry the amount of gear I need. Plus I'm traveling from Georgia to Texas, so the hills won't be too serious.
Old 07-23-05, 09:33 AM
roadfix
hello

Quoted: 195 Post(s)
Liked 117 Times in 53 Posts
I'm using my road racing bike and it doesn't have adequate heel clearance for large enough panniers to carry the amount of gear I need. Plus I'm traveling from Georgia to Texas, so the hills won't be too serious.
I wouldn't use a single-wheeled trailer on a light road bike. Handling will most likely be squirrely at best....
Old 07-23-05, 12:29 PM
GiantDave

Bikes: Giant OCR Touring/Schwinn Moab3

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Georgia to Texas, huh? I did that not too long ago--did the natchez also. I use a Bob and severely overload it! Still going strong although a bit beat up looking. You probably will have handling problems if your using a "lite" bike. I use a Giant OCR touring and a Schwinn mountain bike ---they have racks and are pretty heavy. Try to find someone who has a bob and try it out before you decide.
Old 09-05-05, 03:26 AM
allballybee

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hi - I use a Bike-Hod almost every day, often to do my shopping at the local supermarket but also to carry any old stuff around. I can tell you that it's great! When it's not heavily laden you wouldn't know it was there, and even when it has tons of stuff in it, it follows you along with no problems at all. It's very stable, even at high speed. The best of it is, it's easy to wheel around off the bike as well, which is where it beats one-wheel trailers like the BOB (though I must admit, I think the BOB looks great).
Old 09-05-05, 03:46 AM
locky63red

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I just got back from my first trial tour with my BOB ibex. I did 475 kilometers in a week of riding with 20 Kilograms of weight in it. Only 23 Kilometers on bitumen the rest was dirt, rocks, sand and mud. I was impressed with my BOB. Tows along great. I was taking it easy belting down the hills(Gravelly roads) but that was most probaly me being extra cautious first trip out. Cant wait to go for my next trip in a months time.
Old 09-05-05, 06:24 AM
jay_z

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
i love my bob yak.
found it to be super-dependable.

didn't experience too much downhill squirrlyness
providence - dc - providence.
Old 09-05-05, 11:23 AM
becnal
I'm made of earth!

Bikes: KTM Macina 5 e-bike, Babboe Curve-E cargobike, Raleigh Aspen touring/off-road hybrid.

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Love my yak. No squirriliness at all. (Is that a word?) =)
Old 09-12-05, 08:58 PM
BikePDX

Bikes: Trek 520

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
But I'm also interested in the BOB Yak and the Burley Nomad.

Thanks!
I refer you to a thread entitled Burley Nomad cargo trailer--a review begun on June 28, 2004, but with more recent posts, including one from. The initiator of the thread provides an excellent review on the merrits of various trailers. I added my experience in the process of deciding panniers vs. trailer, then, once the decision was made to go with panniers, the final debate of BOB vs. Burley.
Old 09-12-05, 09:01 PM
BikePDX

Bikes: Trek 520

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by BikePDX
then, once the decision was made to go with panniers, the final debate of BOB vs. Burley.
Correction. In my unthinking haste, I said "panniers" rather than "a trailer." I ultimately decided to go with a trailer; specifically, the Burley Nomad.
Old 09-13-05, 03:25 PM
AndrewP

Bikes: Peugeot Hybrid, Minelli Hybrid

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
My daughter just bought this

https://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...B:EOIBSA:UK:11

She says it handles well, although she hasnt done any touring yet. She says it isnt fast enough for my grand-daughter
Old 09-13-05, 06:57 PM
supcom
You need a new bike

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
That Croozer has a plastic floor. Doesn't sound like a very long lasting design. I use a BOB and believe you would be better to save you money and do the same. I've hauled my BOB over some awfully rough jeep roads and it has yet to fail me. Rides like a dream once you get used to the sluggishness of pulling a heavy load behind a bike. You just let it bounce around and forget about it. I've been up to 39 mph down a mountain road with an MTB and knobbies and the rig was rock stable.