Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Clydesdales/Athenas (200+ lb / 91+ kg)
Reload this Page >

Shimano 105 Di2 electronic drivetrain for clydes?

Search
Notices
Clydesdales/Athenas (200+ lb / 91+ kg) Looking to lose that spare tire? Ideal weight 200+? Frustrated being a large cyclist in a sport geared for the ultra-light? Learn about the bikes and parts that can take the abuse of a heavier cyclist, how to keep your body going while losing the weight, and get support from others who've been successful.

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-23, 09:40 AM
dkyser

Bikes: 19 Gunnar Hyper-X Ultegra Disk, 17 Specialized Sequoia Elite

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 61 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 6 Posts

I am considering a new Domane and I am a 230 lb rider and wondering if I will have any issues in the Di2 system. I can get one in the Shimano 105 Di2 electronic drivetrain or an Ultegra mechanical groupset.
I have not been following any of the Di2 advancement and how reliable it is.
Thanks
Old 07-01-23, 01:00 PM
Steve B.

Bikes: Flyxii FR322, Cannondale Topstone, Miyata City Liner, Specialized Chisel, Specialized Epic Evo

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 3242 Post(s)
Liked 2,087 Times in 1,182 Posts
No issues in 5 years using Di2, I’m heavier than you. It’s not the shifting to worry about, it’s stuff like wheels, carbon bars and seat posts, etc.
Likes For Steve B.:
Old 07-02-23, 07:41 AM
chaadster
Thread Killer

Bikes: 15 Kinesis Racelight 4S, 76 Motebecane Gran Jubilée, 17 Dedacciai Gladiatore2, 12 Breezer Venturi, 09 Dahon Mariner, 12 Mercier Nano, 95 DeKerf Team SL, 19 Tern Rally, 21 Breezer Doppler Cafe+, 19 T-Lab X3, 91 Serotta CII, 23 3T Strada

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 3148 Post(s)
Liked 1,713 Times in 1,034 Posts
I can’t imagine why Di2 (or any electronic drivetrain) would be affected by rider weight. In fact they’re not, either.
Old 07-10-23, 11:01 AM
jsigone
got the climbing bug

Bikes: one for everything

Mentioned: 82 Post(s)
Quoted: 632 Post(s)
Liked 912 Times in 275 Posts
My cervelo soloist came with R8000 mech Ultegra 11sp. I recently swapped the shifter and D's out the new Di2 12sp so I can have the same gear range plus the 34T on the cassette. I'm running the Ultegra Brakes and Crankset though. The shifting is fast and take little effort (hand movement). Battery last a long time, I've been charging once a month but there is still some juice in there (500-600miles a month). I just don't want to be stranded on my long rides in the hills.

With the Di2, I find myself shifting allot more with roller terrain, shifts 3-4x faster per shift, so easier to keep cadence up as hills changes in pitch so often.
Rule #10 // It never gets easier, you just go faster.
Likes For jsigone:
Old 07-12-23, 05:29 AM
stevel610 

Bikes: Novara Safari, CAAD9, WABI Classic, WABI Thunder

Quoted: 366 Post(s)
Liked 457 Times in 240 Posts
Shifters sound good. As was mentioned, the carbon bars are what scare me.
Old 08-11-23, 03:31 PM
VaMoots

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by dkyser
I am considering a new Domane and I am a 230 lb rider and wondering if I will have any issues in the Di2 system. I can get one in the Shimano 105 Di2 electronic drivetrain or an Ultegra mechanical groupset.
I have not been following any of the Di2 advancement and how reliable it is.
Thanks
You have a much bigger concern with the new Domane in that many people have issues with the rear speed squeaking loudly and seatpost slipping. A Clyde is even more likely to have these issues. Check out the comments in the DomaneCrew and Trek sub******s or even on some of the reviews on Treks site. I canceled my Domane order because of this. I just got a Canyon Endurace with 105 Di2 and am loving it. $2699. Never had electric in 40+ years of owing higher end road bikes and I'm a convert.
Old 08-18-23, 07:58 PM
jaxgtr

Bikes: Trek Domane SLR 7 AXS, Trek CheckPoint SL7 AXS, Trek Emonda ALR AXS, Trek FX 5 Sport

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 768 Post(s)
Liked 1,744 Times in 1,015 Posts
Originally Posted by VaMoots
You have a much bigger concern with the new Domane in that many people have issues with the rear speed squeaking loudly and seatpost slipping. A Clyde is even more likely to have these issues. Check out the comments in the DomaneCrew and Trek sub******s or even on some of the reviews on Treks site. I canceled my Domane order because of this. I just got a Canyon Endurace with 105 Di2 and am loving it. $2699. Never had electric in 40+ years of owing higher end road bikes and I'm a convert.
I've had 2 Domane's and have one now and not had this squeaky post you speak of or the slipping seat post and I am not a like weight. I did have an issue with a ticking that I tracked down to the chain ring bolts being loose, but I could have sworn it was coming from the rear isospeed. Electronic shifting is fantastic, although an Ultegra mechanical is also a great system. I upgraded my older Emonda ALR from Mechanical Ultegra for the SRAM eTap AXS would do it again tomorrow. Great system.

Old 08-18-23, 08:07 PM
jaxgtr

Bikes: Trek Domane SLR 7 AXS, Trek CheckPoint SL7 AXS, Trek Emonda ALR AXS, Trek FX 5 Sport

Originally Posted by stevel610
Shifters sound good. As was mentioned, the carbon bars are what scare me.
I started using Carbon bars, seatpost, and wheels about 12 years ago when I was up toward 240. Never had any issues with it. The current Bontrager Aeolus Pro 51s I have one my Domane are fantastic and the Pro 37's that came on the bike, I put on my Trex FX that I use for light gravel riding and they are nice wheels, never had an issues, and I also run carbon bars on that bike as well. Both sets of wheels have remained true and pretty bomb proof. Now most of my riding is road based, but I would have no problems running carbon wheels or bars on a mountain bike either as I am very comfortable with them.

Old 11-12-23, 10:58 AM
VaMoots

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by jaxgtr
I've had 2 Domane's and have one now and not had this squeaky post you speak of or the slipping seat post and I am not a like weight. I did have an issue with a ticking that I tracked down to the chain ring bolts being loose, but I could have sworn it was coming from the rear isospeed. Electronic shifting is fantastic, although an Ultegra mechanical is also a great system. I upgraded my older Emonda ALR from Mechanical Ultegra for the SRAM eTap AXS would do it again tomorrow. Great system.

LOL so I guess all the people saying they have this issue, including on Treks own website, and now Trek is on version 4 of this version IsoSpeed because of these issues is made up? LOL. Right. Alos look at the Trekdomane sub ******. Tons of complaints. You are a sample of one.
Old 11-12-23, 11:39 AM
jaxgtr

Originally Posted by VaMoots
LOL so I guess all the people saying they have this issue, including on Treks own website, and now Trek is on version 4 of this version IsoSpeed because of these issues is made up? LOL. Right. Alos look at the Trekdomane sub ******. Tons of complaints. You are a sample of one.

True, I am a sample of 1, however, not having an issue with mine, I've not had a need to research about it, and I also am not a consumer of red***. I took my bike in for an issue with a caliper about 3 weeks ago and that is when I was made aware there were complaints about the seat post slipping so the shop replaced mine on warranty and I have had my bike for over a year at that point still not having any issues with the post slipping. Not saying other people were not, but a know a few people that have them, and they did not have the issue, but I let them know there was a new version of the clamp if they do have issues.