Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Professional Cycling For the Fans
Reload this Page >

Another question about pro team logistics.

Search
Notices
Professional Cycling For the Fans Follow the Tour de France,the Giro de Italia, the Spring Classics, or other professional cycling races? Here's your home...

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-23, 07:21 AM
_ForceD_
Sr Member on Sr bikes

Bikes: Several...from old junk to new all-carbon.

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1019 Post(s)
Liked 785 Times in 414 Posts

My query is specifically about laundry in the big stage races. Obviously all the teams have to carry team suits for all the riders. And I guess that would include at least a couple of replacements, various sizes, for each team member. And perhaps cold weather suits for possible inclement weather at elevation in the mountain stages. But what about the leaders’s suits (GC/points/climber/youth)? Do the teams have to carry all that too? For every team member, for every weather possibility? That’s a lot of laundry to move around.

Dan
Old 07-05-23, 10:30 AM
slcbob
bored of "Senior Member"

Bikes: Cross-Check/Nexus commuter. Several others for various forms of play.

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 642 Post(s)
Liked 593 Times in 453 Posts
The organizer provides the leaders' jerseys. They haul around a selection of sizes and styles, and someone who can slap the right logo on for the podiums. At times there is some fussing because the teams have certain kinds of special kit and the organizer-provided kit isn't quite so spiffy; IDK how that sorts out.

All the fancy helmets, bar tape, etc. to match is provided by the teams.

Yes, the teams have to carry a ton of stuff. There is a go bag for each rider in each car full of spare shoes, weather gear, etc. And the soigneurs do a lot of laundry.

A while back there was a tour of the team bus & truck(s) when Ineos was Sky and they were big on their marginal gains thing. One of their things was that each rider had their own washing machine in the truck, not just laundry bag. The thought being if Bob had some bacteria or a saddle sore, we wouldn't want to fester it on over to Joe by washing their stuff together or one after another. IDK if they still do that. There are also some pretty impressive cooking setups, again, not wanting to risk using the hotel kitchen or some unproven food source that exposes the riders to intestinal bugs.
Old 07-09-23, 06:49 AM
_ForceD_
Sr Member on Sr bikes

Bikes: Several...from old junk to new all-carbon.

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1019 Post(s)
Liked 785 Times in 414 Posts
Originally Posted by slcbob
At times there is some fussing because the teams have certain kinds of special kit and the organizer-provided kit isn't quite so spiffy; IDK how that sorts out.

…One of their things was that each rider had their own washing machine in the truck, not just laundry bag. The thought being if Bob had some bacteria or a saddle sore, we wouldn't want to fester it on over to Joe by washing their stuff together or one after another. IDK if they still do that. There are also some pretty impressive cooking setups, again, not wanting to risk using the hotel kitchen or some unproven food source that exposes the riders to intestinal bugs.
Yeah, that reminds me of when Mario Cipollini was in the peloton. As a sprinter, he would occasionally capture the yellow jersey. But he was a very flashy and colorful individual. So when he had the jersey he wanted ‘everything’ he wore/used on the bike to be yellow. Someone…either his team, or his own personal assistants would have to hustle to get everything overnight to be ready for him in the next day’s stage. Gloves, socks, shorts, helmet, sunglasses frames, bike frame, seat…everything. Some things the team wouldn’t necessarily be providing. There were times that he had to pay fines because his kit, or his bike didn’t match the TdF organization approved design for the team.

Regarding the specialized food preparation…I’d heard that before. They’ve done that for a long time. And it makes sense. I hadn’t heard about the individual washing machines. That’s interesting.

Dan
Old 07-09-23, 07:22 AM
urbanknight
Over the hill

Bikes: Giant Defy, Giant Revolt

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 998 Post(s)
Liked 1,206 Times in 692 Posts
Your thread reminded me that I saw a video on that a few years ago.
Old 07-11-23, 12:53 PM
HeyItsSara
Meet me at spin class!!!!

Bikes: Precor recumbant indoor bike, Stages bike at Equinox gym

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 122 Post(s)
Liked 74 Times in 53 Posts
i was just thinking about this too! thanks for posting!