Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Professional Cycling For the Fans
Reload this Page >

Triumph and Tragedy at the Tour de France!

Search
Notices
Professional Cycling For the Fans Follow the Tour de France,the Giro de Italia, the Spring Classics, or other professional cycling races? Here's your home...

Triumph and Tragedy at the Tour de France!

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-23, 03:26 PM
Chicago Al 

Bikes: 1974 Motobecane Grand Record, 1987 Miyata Pro, 1988 Bob Jackson Lady Mixte (wife's), others in the family

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 125 Post(s)
Liked 155 Times in 79 Posts
BREAKING: Triumph and Tragedy at the Tour de France!

Jasper Philipsen’s (Alpecin-Deceunik) breathtaking win in the final sprint stage on the Champs-Elysees was marred slightly today when he ran over his own mother. She is not expected to survive. However, Philipsen has now clenched four stage wins in this edition of the Tour, and the Green Jersey.
[None of you know me, so I probably should not inflict my sense of humor on you. Nevertheless, I will leave this up, just will note that it was written on the night of Friday 21, well in advance of the Champs-Elysees stage on Sunday the 23rd, with tongue so firmly in check it has probably left a bruise.]

Last edited by Chicago Al; 07-23-23 at 07:59 PM.
Old 07-23-23, 02:27 PM
Jughed

Bikes: Lemond Zurich/Trek ALR/Giant TCX/Sette CX1

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 570 Post(s)
Liked 773 Times in 404 Posts
What?
Old 07-23-23, 04:56 PM
MinnMan

Bikes: 2022 Salsa Beargrease Carbon Deore 11, 2020 Salsa Warbird GRX 600, 2020 Canyon Ultimate CF SLX disc 9.0 Di2, 2020 Catrike Eola, 2016 Masi cxgr, 2011, Felt F3 Ltd, 2010 Trek 2.1, 2009 KHS Flite 220

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 4393 Post(s)
Liked 3,016 Times in 1,865 Posts
Yaah, he tarnished himself pretty well.

It's a devil's bargain. He got the wins, but he's not going to get the fans' adulation, the sponsorship deals, or the respect that such a dominant performance would otherwise yield.