Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Advocacy & Safety
Reload this Page >

Liability insurance?

Search
Notices
Advocacy & Safety Cyclists should expect and demand safe accommodation on every public road, just as do all other users. Discuss your bicycle advocacy and safety concerns here.

Liability insurance?

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-23, 05:08 PM
spclark 

Bikes: 1972 Motobecane Grand Record, 2022 Kona Dew+

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 157 Post(s)
Liked 146 Times in 107 Posts
Originally Posted by Koyote
In addition to carrying the max limits on our motor vehicle insurance, the wife and I carry a $1m umbrella policy. I think it costs only a few hundred bucks a year. It'll cover a rather wide range of f---ups.
Originally Posted by indyfabz
I have $1M as well.
Same here, had one for sixteen or seventeen years. This year's premium was $242.
Old 10-15-23, 05:34 PM
jon c. 

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 1591 Post(s)
Liked 1,020 Times in 572 Posts
Originally Posted by I-Like-To-Bike
If "they" avoid such bike paths, how do "they" know what the conditions are on the local bike paths and why are "they" posting about the alleged needs of the actual users of the so-called bike paths?
Likely through experience. You find conditions on any route are not to your liking and you avoid that route in the future.

I expect that's pretty common practice.
Likes For jon c.:
Old 10-15-23, 07:25 PM
Rick

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 626 Post(s)
Liked 397 Times in 275 Posts
I avoid bike paths when possible. I have rarely used an MUP either. The couple of times I have been on an MUP, I used the basic speed law. My speed is controlled by the conditions at the time of travel. I have never hit a pedestrian with a bicycle. I was riding with a group in Florida and we went down an MUP for several miles. There was a rollerblader in the middle of the path weaving right to left and back from center. It took some convincing for him to move to one side so we could pass. People are even more unpredictable on these paths than when driving a car.
Old 10-16-23, 09:43 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6196 Post(s)
Liked 4,810 Times in 3,318 Posts
If "they" avoid such bike paths, how do "they" know what the conditions are on the local bike paths and why are "they" posting about the alleged needs of the actual users of the so-called bike paths?
You are picking with the syntax here and just trying to be a troll. It's reasonable to assume that the person saying they avoid such paths has ridden on such enough times to form their opinion. I avoided our local MUP during the first year of COVID as the traffic on it was terrible. Do I also need to add more wording to state that I did ride the path for a dozen or so rides prior to avoiding it? I wouldn't think so.
Likes For Iride01:
Old 10-16-23, 05:06 PM
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile

Bikes: Vaterland and Ragazzi

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 1,536 Times in 1,045 Posts
Originally Posted by Iride01
You are picking with the syntax here and just trying to be a troll. It's reasonable to assume that the person saying they avoid such paths has ridden on such enough times to form their opinion. I avoided our local MUP during the first year of COVID as the traffic on it was terrible. Do I also need to add more wording to state that I did ride the path for a dozen or so rides prior to avoiding it? I wouldn't think so.
The poster stated he didn't ride on the local paths, posted about his actual experience from over 50 years ago, but still posted in the present tense about the existing conditions on the paths that he does (or does not) ride, as well as ranted about pedestrians using cell phones and other conduct which allegedly interfered with his need for unobstructed speed on an MUP.

AND posted that that the MUP "needed" separate lanes for bicyclists and pedestrians because he says paths are unsafe without, regardless of whether the users of the MUP are satisfied with the current layout or whether there is sufficient room for such separation on the MUPs. He does not make clear how he or other speedy riders who get upset by alleged obstacles to their unimpeded speedy progress on the MUP will safely deal with slower riders dawdling in "their" separated lane.

Bottom line: it may not be desirable to reconfigure recreational MUPs if the rationale is that some speedy riders consider the MUP to be their "bike path" and won't use if if they have to slow down sometimes in order to share the MUP with other users, even those who may be holding a cell phone.

Last edited by I-Like-To-Bike; 10-17-23 at 01:42 AM.
Old 10-17-23, 03:42 AM
Troul 

Bikes: RSO E-tire dropper fixie brifter

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 2,979 Times in 1,920 Posts
whether the MUP by me have a standard width in-place, I often noticed that the width can get narrow enough that if a stroller pusher is hugging the far right, it still is a near miss when passing on the left... unless someone goes off of the pavement & there are no ditches/trees/rocks/broken bottles/car bumper.

More of a reason to have a liability policy imo. Never know when crap hits the fan.
Old 10-17-23, 05:24 AM
Paul Barnard
For The Fun of It

Bikes: Lynskey GR300, Lynskey Backroad, Litespeed T6, Lynskey MT29, Burley Duet

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 2135 Post(s)
Liked 1,647 Times in 829 Posts
The poster stated he didn't ride on the local paths, posted about his actual experience from over 50 years ago, but still posted in the present tense about the existing conditions on the paths that he does (or does not) ride, as well as ranted about pedestrians using cell phones and other conduct which allegedly interfered with his need for unobstructed speed on an MUP.
Your default position is that there is no way for him to understand the current environment on that path, that he is just blowing smoke? What a fun place this would be if we operated under that assumption with all posts.

Last edited by Paul Barnard; 10-17-23 at 06:20 AM.
Old 10-17-23, 05:56 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18420 Post(s)
Liked 15,564 Times in 7,333 Posts
Originally Posted by jon c.
Likely through experience. You find conditions on any route are not to your liking and you avoid that route in the future.

I expect that's pretty common practice.
You're making too much sense for some people and making them flail more.
Old 10-17-23, 08:13 AM
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile

Originally Posted by Paul Barnard
Your default position is that there is no way for him to understand the current environment on that path, that he is just blowing smoke? What a fun place this would be if we operated under that assumption with all posts.
Sure, everything to "understand" about bike lanes and MUPs and what their users need, as well as what is correct to "understand" about bicycling advocacy and bicycling safety can be learned by taking the postings on A&S from enthusiastic advocates as gospel. Especially the posts about what everybody else "needs" for their bicycling safety.
Old 10-18-23, 07:18 AM
Paul Barnard
For The Fun of It

Bikes: Lynskey GR300, Lynskey Backroad, Litespeed T6, Lynskey MT29, Burley Duet

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 2135 Post(s)
Liked 1,647 Times in 829 Posts
Sure, everything to "understand" about bike lanes and MUPs and what their users need, as well as what is correct to "understand" about bicycling advocacy and bicycling safety can be learned by taking the postings on A&S from enthusiastic advocates as gospel. Especially the posts about what everybody else "needs" for their bicycling safety.
Am I to believe that you have any experience riding a bicycle, or should I assume that since you present yourself as a rider that you are not?
Likes For Paul Barnard:
Old 10-18-23, 07:51 AM
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile

Originally Posted by Paul Barnard
Am I to believe that you have any experience riding a bicycle, or should I assume that since you present yourself as a rider that you are not?
You are free to believe whatever you choose to assume; or perhaps you prefer to assume whatever fits your chosen belief.