Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Advocacy & Safety
Reload this Page >

I followed up on a local fatality, and the motorist got a light sentence.

Search
Notices
Advocacy & Safety Cyclists should expect and demand safe accommodation on every public road, just as do all other users. Discuss your bicycle advocacy and safety concerns here.

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-23, 08:19 PM
JW Fas
Cop Magnet

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 240 Post(s)
Liked 276 Times in 128 Posts

https://www.kansascity.com/news/loca...276885063.html

For context, a local cyclist was killed in a hit-and-run late August of 2022. It occurred along a route I frequently bike, so it definitely hit close to home. The victim was a father of ten children and a math teacher at a local elementary school. The woman who killed Charlie admitted to being high on Percocet, and she also tried to get rid of the vehicle by torching it in a nearby town. I think the Jackson County prosecutor dropped the ball by only charging her with two Class D felonies (leaving the scene of a fatal crash and tampering with evidence), which come with a maximum prison sentence of seven years. They could've easily gotten her on involuntary manslaughter, which is a Class C felony and carries 3-10 years. The motorist pleaded guilty, but she only got four years for each count to be served concurrently (minus time already served). That seems like a light penalty given the egregiousness of her offenses.
Likes For JW Fas:
Old 12-08-23, 08:40 PM
Polaris OBark
ignominious poltroon

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 2241 Post(s)
Liked 3,443 Times in 1,802 Posts
Ten kids? She should have to pay some restitution for the rest of her sorry life as well.
Likes For Polaris OBark:
Old 12-09-23, 07:11 AM
Bald Paul

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 824 Post(s)
Liked 1,659 Times in 784 Posts
Originally Posted by Polaris OBark
Ten kids? She should have to pay some restitution for the rest of her sorry life as well.
Oh, don't worry about that. Now that she's been convicted of the crime, there will be a wrongful death civil suit to follow. Of course, the family will never actually get all the money awarded to them, but it will sure put a dent in the offenders' lifestyle.
Old 12-09-23, 10:28 AM
JW Fas
Cop Magnet

Originally Posted by Bald Paul
Oh, don't worry about that. Now that she's been convicted of the crime, there will be a wrongful death civil suit to follow. Of course, the family will never actually get all the money awarded to them, but it will sure put a dent in the offenders' lifestyle.
Originally Posted by Polaris OBark
I don't know if there will be a wrongful death suit, because there is no way to draw blood from this stone. What about her insurance company? Well, it turns out the vehicle she used to kill Charlie was stolen months prior and uninsured.

The family has received some help, though. Two different crowd funding campaigns were opened on their behalf by friends, and in total they raised over $250k. Plus, a bunch of people in the community came together and renovated their house for them free of charge.
Likes For JW Fas:
Old 12-09-23, 02:44 PM
Chistophe516

Bikes: 2003 Specialized Allez

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked 21 Times in 19 Posts
Originally Posted by Bald Paul
Given that the father had ten kids. The judge should have gotten creative by, not only sentencing the driver to prison. But also ordering the driver to pay child support, starting from the day she killed the father.
Likes For Chistophe516:
Old 12-12-23, 12:04 PM
urbanknight
Over the hill

Bikes: Giant Defy, Giant Revolt

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 998 Post(s)
Liked 1,206 Times in 692 Posts
Around this time two years ago, a drunk driver slammed into a car containing my student, his sister, and their parents. The two kids were killed, leaving the parents to wake up in the hospital childless. The driver already had a previous DUI and wasn't even old enough to drink (which by law qualified her to be tried for murder). She somehow disappeared from the court system and I can't find any more news about it, making me suspect she got a slap on the wrist at best. We definitely go too lightly on the worst people. I have no desire to live with people that careless and wish they would be taken out of society one way or another so the rest of us can be safe.

Originally Posted by JW Fas
The family has received some help, though. Two different crowd funding campaigns were opened on their behalf by friends, and in total they raised over $250k. Plus, a bunch of people in the community came together and renovated their house for them free of charge.
I am growing tired of restitution falling on the backs of the most generous and most kind members of the working class. It's hard enough to make ends meet when we're covering our own responsibilities. Bring back hard labor.
Old 12-12-23, 12:15 PM
tomato coupe

Bikes: Colnago, Van Dessel, Factor, Cervelo, Ritchey

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 3952 Post(s)
Liked 7,299 Times in 2,947 Posts
Originally Posted by urbanknight
I am growing tired of restitution falling on the backs of the most generous and most kind members of the working class. It's hard enough to make ends meet when we're covering our own responsibilities. Bring back hard labor.
How is sentencing someone to hard labor going to help other people make ends meet financially?
Old 12-12-23, 01:31 PM
storckm
Cyclist

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked 16 Times in 15 Posts
Sentence her to fix the house.
Old 12-12-23, 01:56 PM
Paul Barnard
For The Fun of It

Bikes: Lynskey GR300, Lynskey Backroad, Litespeed T6, Lynskey MT29, Burley Duet

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 2135 Post(s)
Liked 1,647 Times in 829 Posts
https://www.kansascity.com/news/loca...276885063.html

For context, a local cyclist was killed in a hit-and-run late August of 2022. It occurred along a route I frequently bike, so it definitely hit close to home. The victim was a father of ten children and a math teacher at a local elementary school. The woman who killed Charlie admitted to being high on Percocet, and she also tried to get rid of the vehicle by torching it in a nearby town. I think the Jackson County prosecutor dropped the ball by only charging her with two Class D felonies (leaving the scene of a fatal crash and tampering with evidence), which come with a maximum prison sentence of seven years. They could've easily gotten her on involuntary manslaughter, which is a Class C felony and carries 3-10 years. The motorist pleaded guilty, but she only got four years for each count to be served concurrently (minus time already served). That seems like a light penalty given the egregiousness of her offenses.

What sentences for similar crimes did you compare this to?
Likes For Paul Barnard:
Old 12-12-23, 03:59 PM
FBinNY 

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5792 Post(s)
Liked 2,581 Times in 1,431 Posts
Things vary by state, but 4 years isn't exceptionally low for involuntary manslaughter. So while the DA might have tried for more, he did secure a guilty plea and a sentence not far off from what he might have gotten after trial for manslaughter or negligent homicide. OTOH he avoided a gamble, saved the cost of a trial, and the guilty plea cannot be appealed. Moreover, even if he had charged the greater offense there's a decent likelihood that there would have been a plea bargain with similar outcome.

I'd count this in the win column.

An ounce of diagnosis is worth a pound of cure.

Just because I'm tired of arguing, doesn't mean you're right.

“One accurate measurement is worth a thousand expert opinions” - Adm Grace Murray Hopper - USN

WARNING, I'm from New York. Thin skinned people should maintain safe distance.
Old 12-12-23, 05:24 PM
'02 nrs

Bikes: 1938 claud butler,1983 Basso,teledyne titan,teocali super,nrs,1993 stumpjumper fsr,Paramountain,Paramount Buell(sold),4 banger,Zaskar LE,Colnago Master Ibex MTB,1987ish,.etc....

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 804 Post(s)
Liked 2,985 Times in 1,498 Posts
35-60 x 2, years/

recent sentencing.https://www.clickondetroit.com/news/...ke-ride-crash/
Likes For '02 nrs:
Old 12-12-23, 05:52 PM
JW Fas
Cop Magnet

Originally Posted by FBinNY
Things vary by state, but 4 years isn't exceptionally low for involuntary manslaughter. So while the DA might have tried for more, he did secure a guilty plea and a sentence not far off from what he might have gotten after trial for manslaughter or negligent homicide. OTOH he avoided a gamble, saved the cost of a trial, and the guilty plea cannot be appealed. Moreover, even if he had charged the greater offense there's a decent likelihood that there would have been a plea bargain with similar outcome.

Re-read my OP. The driver wasn't charged with involuntary manslaughter even though it would've been a slam dunk. Missouri's definition: "A person commits the offense of involuntary manslaughter in the first degree if he or she recklessly causes the death of another person." Driving a stolen vehicle while high on Percocet easily crosses the threshold of reckless.
She was only charged with two Class D felonies: 1) leaving the scene of a fatal crash and 2) tampering with evidence.
Likes For JW Fas:
Old 12-12-23, 06:06 PM
jon c. 

Quoted: 1591 Post(s)
Liked 1,020 Times in 572 Posts
I'm not sure any charge is a slam dunk when you have to go before a jury. They are notoriously unpredictable.
Likes For jon c.:
Old 12-12-23, 06:27 PM
urbanknight
Over the hill

Originally Posted by tomato coupe
How is sentencing someone to hard labor going to help other people make ends meet financially?
I think my post was mostly fueled by emotion, but the work should garner wages which then could be transferred to the victim's family. Actually, I think all inmates should have to work for their living in some way (just like they would on the outside) unless there are extenuating circumstances.
Old 12-12-23, 06:37 PM
tomato coupe

Bikes: Colnago, Van Dessel, Factor, Cervelo, Ritchey

Quoted: 3952 Post(s)
Liked 7,299 Times in 2,947 Posts
Originally Posted by urbanknight
... I think all inmates should have to work for their living in some way (just like they would on the outside) unless there are extenuating circumstances.
The majority of inmates in the U.S. are in work programs.
Likes For tomato coupe:
Old 12-12-23, 08:54 PM
FBinNY 

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter

Re-read my OP. The driver wasn't charged with involuntary manslaughter even though it would've been a slam dunk.....
First of all. I never argue stuff like this, but would like to clear the air.

You suggested I re-read your OP, but clearly you were too angry to read mine.

I never implied in any way that there was a manslaughter charge. Simply that the result was comparable to what it would have been.

Also, ask anyone involved with criminal law ----- there is no such thing as a slam dunk in a jury trial. That's why DAs will take a decent plea every time.

You may not like the result, but securing the guilty plea and 4 year sentence was a win.

An ounce of diagnosis is worth a pound of cure.

Just because I'm tired of arguing, doesn't mean you're right.

“One accurate measurement is worth a thousand expert opinions” - Adm Grace Murray Hopper - USN

WARNING, I'm from New York. Thin skinned people should maintain safe distance.
Old 12-12-23, 09:13 PM
JW Fas
Cop Magnet

You suggested I re-read your OP, but clearly you were too angry to read mine.

I never implied in any way that there was a manslaughter charge. Simply that the result was comparable to what it would have been.
You said the following: "Things vary by state, but 4 years isn't exceptionally low for involuntary manslaughter."

The four years for each Class D felony to which the motorist pleaded guilty. That was made clear in my OP. I said that involuntary manslaughter would have carried 3-10 years if it had been charged and convicted.
Likes For JW Fas:
Old 12-12-23, 10:26 PM
FBinNY 

You said the following: "Things vary by state, but 4 years isn't exceptionally low for involuntary manslaughter."

The four years for each Class D felony to which the motorist pleaded guilty. That was made clear in my OP. I said that involuntary manslaughter would have carried 3-10 years if it had been charged and convicted.
First of all, multiple sentences arising out of a single event usually run concurrently, not consecutively.

So it's still the single longest sentence. As I said, 4 years isn't exceptionally low, since it falls within that 3-10 you reference. (IF CONVICTED)

So, the DA did a good job negotiateding a guilty plea, saving the cost and uncertainty of a trial, with the fact that it can't be appealed as a bonus.

Stop complaining and take the win. Be assured it's the exception, not the rule.

Last edited by FBinNY; 12-12-23 at 10:30 PM.
Old 12-13-23, 12:29 AM
urbanknight
Over the hill

Originally Posted by tomato coupe
The majority of inmates in the U.S. are in work programs.
That's good to know (although I fact checked and "majority" is just 61%).
Old 12-14-23, 02:32 AM
50PlusCycling

Quoted: 552 Post(s)
Liked 820 Times in 412 Posts
I had to renew my Japan drivers license a few months ago, and had to sit through the usual safety lecture. During this lecture I learned that the minimum sentence for DUI manslaughter is 15 years. Running from the scene and destroying evidence might double that.
Likes For 50PlusCycling:
Old 12-16-23, 03:20 PM
merlinextraligh
pan y agua

Bikes: Willier Zero 7; Merlin Extralight; Calfee Dragonfly tandem, Calfee Adventure tandem; Cervelo P2; Motebecane Ti Fly 29er; Motebecanne Phantom Cross; Schwinn Paramount Track bike

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1447 Post(s)
Liked 727 Times in 372 Posts
Re-read my OP. The driver wasn't charged with involuntary manslaughter even though it would've been a slam dunk. Missouri's definition: "A person commits the offense of involuntary manslaughter in the first degree if he or she recklessly causes the death of another person." Driving a stolen vehicle while high on Percocet easily crosses the threshold of reckless.
She was only charged with two Class D felonies: 1) leaving the scene of a fatal crash and 2) tampering with evidence.
there’s still the issue of proximate cause. It’s possible to drive a stolen vehicle high on Percocet and not be the cause of the accident. You’d be guilty of other crimes, but if the way you operated the vehicle didn’t cause the accident, you wouldn’t be guilty of manslaughter.

In other words it is possible to be intoxicated, and an accident to still be someone else’s fault if your intoxication didn’t cause the accident. That’s probably not the case here but we don’t have enough information. With no other facts, we don’t know what caused the accident. Thus while it would appear that there would be a good manslaughter charge, there isn’t enough information to conclude it would be a slam dunk. The Prosecutor who negotiated the plea deal obviously had access to more information than we do.
OR YOU COULD STAY HOME AND FALL OFF THE COUCH AND DIE.
Old 12-22-23, 08:38 AM
1989Pre 
Standard Member

Bikes: 1948 P. Barnard & Son, 1962 Rudge Sports, 1963 Freddie Grubb Routier, 1980 Manufrance Hirondelle, 1983 F. Moser Sprint, 1989 Raleigh Technium Pre, 2001 Raleigh M80

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1297 Post(s)
Liked 940 Times in 490 Posts
It could be instructive to learn the convict's highly-placed social contacts that were "taken into consideration" when the charges were filed and sentence decided. Corruption of this kind is rampant, and an entire website should be devoted to the subject, comparing the outcomes of similar cases.
Old 12-22-23, 08:52 AM
Eyes Roll

Quoted: 104 Post(s)
Liked 78 Times in 49 Posts
There are too many prisoners in the prisons. The States and the prosecutors are of the mindset that they want the prisoners out after a few years in prison, because it costs the State to maintain and feed the prisoners, and in more than 99% of the cases, the offenses are less serious to impose a death sentence.

With respect to a wrongful death action against the convict. Good luck collecting that judgment, if (1) she is a drug addict, (2) is already broke, and (3) employers unwilling to hire her after a background check..........da da da......

Last edited by Eyes Roll; 12-22-23 at 09:06 AM.
Likes For Eyes Roll:
Old 12-27-23, 10:27 PM
Jay Turberville

Bikes: 1995 Trek 990 (configured for road), Hotrodded Dahon folder, Trek 1400 (not ridden any more), Iron Horse 3.0 homebrew e-bike, 1984 Trek 770 (trying to resurrect)

Quoted: 89 Post(s)
Liked 131 Times in 80 Posts

Yep. It's a better result than I'm used to seeing her in AZ. I'm not sure about laws in other states, but the penalties for hitting and/or killing a cyclist with a car are sometimes laughably minor here. In AZ a young man killed a 3 year old in a hit and run. Plead guilty. Got four years probation. One year jail time. But that jail time was deferred after he met some early probation requirements. He loses his driving license for 10 years. What are the odds that this young man will be driving before then anyway?

https://azbikelaw.org/3-y-o-glendale...iver/#criminal
Likes For Jay Turberville:
Old 01-13-24, 03:06 PM
Camilo

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1109 Post(s)
Liked 1,200 Times in 760 Posts
I'm not making any comment on the severity of the crime or the sentance. Except to say, it's a bad crime and I'm glad the person will be put in jail.

But what the heck does the number of kids have to do with anything? Nothing. The crime is just as bad and deserves just as much punishment if it's a single childless person.
Likes For Camilo:

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.