Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Rear side pull brake caliper for step-through frame.

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-24, 09:57 AM
_ForceD_
Sr Member on Sr bikes

Bikes: Several...from old junk to new all-carbon.

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1019 Post(s)
Liked 785 Times in 414 Posts

I’m looking for a source for side pull brake caliper on a step-through frame. I’ve somewhat refurbished an old step through (“girls bike”) road bike frame and it’s being used regularly. It now has better wheels, index shifters, better brake levers. I want to replace the low-quality side pull brake calipers, but am unable to find any descent ones that can be used on this style of frame. The bike has 27” wheels so they need to be long reach calipers. AND, the rear caliper needs to have the in-line barrel adjuster and the cable clamp reversed since the brake cable comes up from the bottom bracket due to the lack of horizontal top tube. The photo isn’t the bike in question, but it shows how the rear brake cable is installed.

Dan
Old 03-03-24, 10:47 AM
Frkl
Must be symmetrical

Bikes: ... but look, they're all totally different!

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 109 Post(s)
Liked 186 Times in 102 Posts
Dia compe 884L, but it might not have the right look. They may make other ones too
Old 03-03-24, 10:51 AM
Frkl
Must be symmetrical

Originally Posted by Frkl
Dia compe 884L, but it might not have the right look. They may make other ones too
Yes they do: 883ql, has a quick release which I don't think the 884l does.
Old 03-03-24, 11:26 AM
_ForceD_
Sr Member on Sr bikes

Looking at close up of the two models mentioned above, either the barrel adjuster or the QR is riveted onto the caliper (in the traditional position). So they can’t be used on the step-through frame with the cable routing from the BB.

Dan
Old 03-03-24, 11:57 AM
Frkl
Must be symmetrical

Originally Posted by _ForceD_
Looking at close up of the two models mentioned above, either the barrel adjuster or the QR is riveted onto the caliper (in the traditional position). So they can’t be used on the step-through frame with the cable routing from the BB.

Dan
Take a closer look before dismissing them

The 883 has a cable crimp on the upper barrel adjuster. So yes, it is in the traditional position but it secures the cable.

The 884L doesn't have a qr but the 884ql does. Missed the q there, sorry m check out dia Compe's offerings a bit. They have exactly what you need, they may just do what you need in a way you don't expect.
Old 03-03-24, 02:10 PM
_ForceD_
Sr Member on Sr bikes

Originally Posted by Frkl
Take a closer look before dismissing them

The 883 has a cable crimp on the upper barrel adjuster. So yes, it is in the traditional position but it secures the cable.

The 884L doesn't have a qr but the 884ql does. Missed the q there, sorry m check out dia Compe's offerings a bit. They have exactly what you need, they may just do what you need in a way you don't expect.
I see what you’re pointing out now. That would work…except that’s a front brake, and I need it for the rear. I can’t find a picture of it that shows how long the mounting bolt is..but presuming it says it’s a front brake I’d think the bolt is longer since it goes through the fork crown. I suppose I could shorten it and cut new threads onto it. But, I’m still looking. Thanks for pointing that out.

Dan
Old 03-03-24, 09:29 PM
dedhed
SE Wis

Bikes: '68 Raleigh Sprite, '02 Raleigh C500, '84 Raleigh Gran Prix, '91 Trek 400, 2013 Novara Randonee, 1990 Trek 970

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 2747 Post(s)
Liked 3,401 Times in 2,058 Posts
I see what you’re pointing out now. That would work…except that’s a front brake, and I need it for the rear. I can’t find a picture of it that shows how long the mounting bolt is..but presuming it says it’s a front brake I’d think the bolt is longer since it goes through the fork crown. I suppose I could shorten it and cut new threads onto it. But, I’m still looking. Thanks for pointing that out.

Dan
​​​​​​https://www.ebay.com/itm/201149588022

​​​​​​https://www.porkchopbmx.com/dia-comp...spacer-fo.html
Old 03-03-24, 09:40 PM
dedhed
SE Wis

Bikes: '68 Raleigh Sprite, '02 Raleigh C500, '84 Raleigh Gran Prix, '91 Trek 400, 2013 Novara Randonee, 1990 Trek 970

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 2747 Post(s)
Liked 3,401 Times in 2,058 Posts
https://www.ebay.com/itm/25624320014...BoCOy4QAvD_BwE

​​​​​​https://www.ebay.com/itm/266446407292
Old 03-04-24, 07:53 AM
_ForceD_
Sr Member on Sr bikes

Thanks, but those are exactly what’s currently on the bike. I’m hoping to get something that’s a little better quality.

Dan
Old 03-04-24, 04:10 PM
DorkDisk

Bikes: Ritchey Swiss Cross | Teesdale Kona Hot | Haro Extreme | Specialized Stumpjumper Comp | Cannondale F1000 | Shogun 1000 | Cannondale M500 | Norco Charger | Marin Muirwoods 29er | Shogun Kaze | Breezer Lightning

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 576 Post(s)
Liked 1,003 Times in 488 Posts
I’m looking for a source for side pull brake caliper on a step-through frame. I’ve somewhat refurbished an old step through (“girls bike”) road bike frame and it’s being used regularly. It now has better wheels, index shifters, better brake levers. I want to replace the low-quality side pull brake calipers, but am unable to find any descent ones that can be used on this style of frame. The bike has 27” wheels so they need to be long reach calipers. AND, the rear caliper needs to have the in-line barrel adjuster and the cable clamp reversed since the brake cable comes up from the bottom bracket due to the lack of horizontal top tube. The photo isn’t the bike in question, but it shows how the rear brake cable is installed.

Dan
I'd try to place a cable stop on the seat tube and a roller on the seatpost clamp; at that point you can use a normal caliper.
Old 03-04-24, 04:27 PM
Arrowana
Bike Sorceress

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked 116 Times in 66 Posts
If you can't find one that meets your requirements, new pads plus upgrading to compressionless housing should make a noticeable difference. Combining that with DorkDisk's suggestion of a cable stop and roller to let you run a centerpull brake would be even better.
Old 03-04-24, 07:07 PM
_ForceD_
Sr Member on Sr bikes

Originally Posted by DorkDisk
I'd try to place a cable stop on the seat tube and a roller on the seatpost clamp; at that point you can use a normal caliper.
I’ve thought about that, and it’s not out of the question.

Dan
Old 03-05-24, 11:26 AM
JohnDThompson 
Old fart

Bikes: Several, mostly not name brands.

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Quoted: 3590 Post(s)
Liked 3,401 Times in 1,935 Posts
If the cable anchor and barrel adjuster are bolted to the caliper arms (as opposed to riveted), you can often just swap the positions to get what you want. That's what I did on my daughter's bike.