Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Tandem Cycling
Reload this Page >

First short tandem overnighter

Search
Notices
Tandem Cycling A bicycle built for two. Want to find out more about this wonderful world of tandems? Check out this forum to talk with other tandem enthusiasts. Captains and stokers welcome!

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-06, 10:00 PM
locky63red

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I have just returned home from the first overnighter with the wife on the Tandem. I did the right thing and we only went a little way with lots of rest stops. She enjoyed herself and hopefully it will be the start of many more rides both touring and fingers crossed normal tandem rides. I am hooked on cycle touring, and it would increase my enjoyment to a new level if I could do it with the wife. (Touring that is.)
I would love to get her that hooked that we would have to invest in a new tandem. I enclosed a thumbnail of the Tandem by Lake Greenly South Australia on one of our frequent rest stops on our overnighter.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
tandem photo.jpg (93.3 KB, 51 views)
Old 05-15-06, 06:17 AM
thomson

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
That is fantastic locky. That is close to my strategy as well. I would tour a lot more if I could bring my wife as I wouldn't feel as guilty. Well, also I guess I really feel she will enjoy it once she starts.

I can't help thinking you have quite a load for an overnight trip. I am hoping to use just panniers.

Anyway, good show, I hope you both have many tour miles ahead.
Old 05-15-06, 01:11 PM
stapfam
Time for a change.

Location: 6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England

Bikes: Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by thomson
That is fantastic locky. That is close to my strategy as well. I would tour a lot more if I could bring my wife as I wouldn't feel as guilty. Well, also I guess I really feel she will enjoy it once she starts.

I can't help thinking you have quite a load for an overnight trip. I am hoping to use just panniers.

Anyway, good show, I hope you both have many tour miles ahead.
Never done it on a Tandem but Many years ago- 3 of us used to take 3 or 4 day excursions. Everyone has to carry their own personal items but this was kept to a minimum- Sleeping bag is a must and one that packs up small- but a tent was not as we did it in Summer so a Bivouac bag was used- Just a big polythene bag but if raining works. The spares we split between us- One carried the Camping stove and kettle. One carried the coffee and food. and one carried the tools and Bike spares. Total weight could just comfortable be carried in a small rucksack but for 2 could easily be carried on or in panniers- including a small lightweight Tent. Then again if I would like to think back to my Marine training of 35 years ago- All we used to carry extra was a blanket. No tents, sleeping bags or other luxuries were allowed. For some reason they called that survival training. Survival was still finding the friendly farmer to allow us to sleep in his barn though.

Spike Milligan