Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Perplexed over front tire flats!

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-15, 06:51 PM
one4smoke

Bikes: 2020 Specialized Roubaix Comp SC - 2016 Specialized Roubaix SL4 - 2015 Giant Roam 2 Disc

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 639 Post(s)
Liked 338 Times in 224 Posts

So I bought my new Roam 2. Rode it fine for about a week. Yesterday, the front tire goes flat. The single hole is on the inside of the tube, opposite side of the valve stem. I check out the wheel and can't find any reason for the puncture. For precautionary measures, I also check the inside of the tire as well, even though the hole is on the inside of the tube. I put another tube in, ride about 5 miles, then bam! Same thing, same location on the tube.

There is a very slight hairline separation at the seam of the wheel on the sides. There is absolutely nothing that is sharp to the touch though. The punctures are happening in the exact middle of the tube, not the side. The strip around the wheel is a very good one, not cheap rubber, and is stationary. It does not move or slide around at all.

I'm perplexed at what's going on. Any ideas??
Old 08-08-15, 07:03 PM
redben

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
You say that the rim tape is a good one, but it sure does sound like a flat from spoke eyelets.

The hairline seam you are seeing is normal, but you could cover that on the inside with some tape to make sure that isn't the cause.
Old 08-08-15, 07:20 PM
Andrew R Stewart 

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Mongoose Tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder, Stewart 650B ATB

Quoted: 4210 Post(s)
Liked 3,878 Times in 2,315 Posts
It's actually hard to say what the rim strip is doing after the tube and tire are mounted, as the rim strip is then out of sight. Andy.
Old 08-08-15, 07:23 PM
FIVE ONE SIX
SpIn SpIn SuGaR!

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
considering you can purchase a pair of new FSA rim strips for about $5, i would buy them and change both, it's not like you're going to break the bank and it eliminates one things it could be if for some reason it happens again. maybe the ones on your wheels are just not that good, new or not...
Old 08-08-15, 07:52 PM
Bill Kapaun
Really Old Senior Member

Bikes: 87 RockHopper,2008 Specialized Globe. Both upgraded to 9 speeds. 2019 Giant Explore E+3

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1795 Post(s)
Liked 1,271 Times in 877 Posts
Did the rim actually have a rim strip/tape?

The hairline crack is where they joint the ends of the rim.
They don't pump them out in a big donut machine.
Old 08-08-15, 10:10 PM
one4smoke

Bikes: 2020 Specialized Roubaix Comp SC - 2016 Specialized Roubaix SL4 - 2015 Giant Roam 2 Disc

Originally Posted by Andrew R Stewart
It's actually hard to say what the rim strip is doing after the tube and tire are mounted, as the rim strip is then out of sight. Andy.
It certainly is out of sight with the wheel on, but with the wheel off, the rim strip has everything covered well and is adhesive, so it does not move regardless if there's a tire covering it or not.
Old 08-08-15, 10:13 PM
one4smoke

Originally Posted by Bill Kapaun
Did the rim actually have a rim strip/tape?

The hairline crack is where they joint the ends of the rim.
They don't pump them out in a big donut machine.
Yes, it did, as I mentioned in the first post.

Are you absolutely sure??? They certainly look like a donut, ...even though they don't taste like one.
Old 08-08-15, 10:18 PM
one4smoke

Originally Posted by FIVE ONE SIX
considering you can purchase a pair of new FSA rim strips for about $5, i would buy them and change both, it's not like you're going to break the bank and it eliminates one things it could be if for some reason it happens again. maybe the ones on your wheels are just not that good, new or not...
I'll check into it tomorrow. Although, you'd think a $700 bike would have adequate rim strips included on a Giant brand bike from a LBS ...not Walmart or target, for goodness sakes!!! (Sarcasm... Have a Schwinn I bought from Target t6 years ago, and has been an awesome bike!)
Old 08-08-15, 10:44 PM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Quoted: 18378 Post(s)
Liked 4,512 Times in 3,354 Posts
If the flat is in the same place every time. Are you mounting the tire randomly, or in the same orientation?

I think I'd cover the seam with a few pieces of electrical tape. It can't hurt anything. And, of course, carefully check the tire.
Old 08-08-15, 11:11 PM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Quoted: 4806 Post(s)
Liked 3,932 Times in 2,557 Posts
Consider that auto tires now shed fine steel wires that can imbed in a bike tire, the strand being shorter than the distance from inside of casing to outside of thread, so there is nothing to see. That wire will keep causing flats until you remove it. (The holes from that wire in the tread and casing can be so small as to be basically invisible.)

You could try buying and mounting another tire. If the flats still happen, it isn't the tire and you can focus your search on the rimtape and rim. If they stop, you know it is the tire and you now have a good one on the bike and at your leisure you can track down that pesky piece of glass or wire.

Ben