Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Squealing brakes

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Squealing brakes

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-16, 02:17 AM
Shodan5150

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Squealing brakes

Hello, I have a quick question. I have a Sun Atlas Cargo Trike with 2 rear brakes. Both are band/belt brakes and they squeal like a banshee, especially when going slow. I have searched on the net on how to fix this but this type of brake is not too popular a discussion point. So how can I get these brakes to be quiet? Thanks.
Old 06-29-16, 02:51 AM
Zef

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
The squealing, also known as "chatter" is an inherent characteristic of the type of brake you have and one of a few reasons why they are not very popular. The problem is usually more pronounced at slower speeds as the higher force used to brake from higher speeds cuts down on the vibration interplay of the braking components.

First, inspect the parts of the system for any excessive wear and replace parts as necessary. If the parts are not excessively worn uou can try cleaning the band and the part it wraps around, but I would be careful to not to do anything that would materially impact the friction coefficient of the system or you may find yourself unable to stop adequately.

If the squealing is that much of a problem you should look into what other braking solutions can be retrofitted on your trike.

-j
Old 06-29-16, 01:49 PM
Shodan5150

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The issue isn't from wear or dirt. The bike is brand spanking new, built for me by a shop. The mechanic said there's nothing he can do already. The right brake is way worse than the left one. Maybe over time it will get quieter, I hope. Or maybe if I change the belt it will be quiet. I'll just have to live with the sound for awhile. Thanks for the answer.
Old 06-30-16, 01:16 AM
Zef

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
No offense but you may be living in denial about your brake situation. As I mentioned, the chatter/squealing you experience is a characteristic of the design of the brake you have. A simple web search for this type of brake reveals that although they can be very effective in terms of providing stopping power, one of their major drawbacks is they have a tendency to make a lot of noise...which is why they are not favored by many. Your mechanic said there is nothing he can do because there isn't any thing he can do. Your research about fixing the issue came up short because there is nothing to fix. Your brakes may get better with time as the belt/band wears but they also might not...be prepared for this. You can always wear earplugs or mount a radio somewhere on the trike to drown out the squeal.

Good luck,
-j
Old 06-30-16, 01:27 AM
Zef

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
According to the company, a Sturmey Archer 3-speed or 5-speed coaster brake kit is available for this bike. If yours is brand new then perhaps you can work something out with the shop or the company your purchased from to swap out the rear wheels with a set that uses a coaster brake instead of the band brake.

-j