Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Electric Bikes
Reload this Page >

New eBike Co. , Espin ; What do you think ?

Search
Notices
Electric Bikes Here's a place to discuss ebikes, from home grown to high-tech.

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-17, 12:42 AM
pakeboi

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 216 Post(s)
Liked 32 Times in 29 Posts

https://espinbikes.com
Old 01-22-17, 08:22 AM
Robert C

Bikes: This list got too long: several ‘bents, an urban utility e-bike, and a dahon D7 that my daughter has absconded with.

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 363 Post(s)
Liked 66 Times in 48 Posts
I am going to sound a bit critical; but first I want to say that I do like to see more ebikes on the market and I also like to see more marketing toward casual riders.

Frame:
Two thoughts. Firstly, I realize that "one size fits all" keeps costs lower; but one size really does not fit all. Second, if one is going to go with a semi custom frame design, it would be good to include a mid drive instead of still using a hubmotor.

Motor:
The appear to be using a 350W geared hubmotor in the rear. I have a 350W geared hubmotor on my commuter. It will give good, but not great performance.

As mentioned, at this point, a good, purpose built ebike will use a mid drive, there are several on the market, including a new OEM only model from BaFang that looks like it was "inspired" by the bosch unit.

This manufacturer took the easy way out.

Battery Capacity:
It isn't that great (416Wh @ 36V). They have room for significantly more battery capacity, however, that may require using better cells.

In all, it looks like it is an OK turn-key ebike; however, it could be a lot better. It should be good for local rides and runs to nearby grocery stores and if it helps people do those things on a bicycle, instead of driving then I give it one out of two thumbs up.

(keep in mind, all of this is based on just looking at the website, I havn't seen one of these bikes in person)
Old 01-22-17, 07:50 PM
pakeboi

Originally Posted by Robert C
I am going to sound a bit critical; but first I want to say that I do like to see more ebikes on the market and I also like to see more marketing toward casual riders.

Frame:
Two thoughts. Firstly, I realize that "one size fits all" keeps costs lower; but one size really does not fit all. Second, if one is going to go with a semi custom frame design, it would be good to include a mid drive instead of still using a hubmotor.

Motor:
The appear to be using a 350W geared hubmotor in the rear. I have a 350W geared hubmotor on my commuter. It will give good, but not great performance.

As mentioned, at this point, a good, purpose built ebike will use a mid drive, there are several on the market, including a new OEM only model from BaFang that looks like it was "inspired" by the bosch unit.

This manufacturer took the easy way out.

Battery Capacity:
It isn't that great (416Wh @ 36V). They have room for significantly more battery capacity, however, that may require using better cells.

In all, it looks like it is an OK turn-key ebike; however, it could be a lot better. It should be good for local rides and runs to nearby grocery stores and if it helps people do those things on a bicycle, instead of driving then I give it one out of two thumbs up.

(keep in mind, all of this is based on just looking at the website, I havn't seen one of these bikes in person)
Thanks for the reply .
Here's a Q & A I found with the company founders .
Q&A with the Creators of ESPIN eBikes ? espin
I think they're targeting first time buyers and for sure the entry level price point .

Which mid-drive bike(s) do you like in that segment ?
Old 01-22-17, 08:30 PM
jon c. 

Quoted: 1591 Post(s)
Liked 1,020 Times in 572 Posts
I'd always be leery about buying the first production models of anything. I gather the first ones have just hit the road.
Old 01-22-17, 10:03 PM
pakeboi

Originally Posted by jon c.
I'd always be leery about buying the first production models of anything. I gather the first ones have just hit the road.
Yes , I thought about that too ; plus afaik ,company founders have no prior bicycle business experience .
However , the bike did receive a good review by Forbes magazine .
https://www.google.com/amp/www.forbe...android-google

Last edited by pakeboi; 01-22-17 at 10:21 PM.
Old 01-22-17, 10:07 PM
Joe Remi

Bikes: Haibike Sduro Trekking SL, Rivendell Appaloosa, Concinnity singlespeed, KHS mini velo (Japan market), Trident Spike trike

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 653 Post(s)
Liked 91 Times in 74 Posts
They appear to be basic entry-level hub-motor ebikes based on basic Chinese frames. There's quite the cottage industry growing for this market, and we'll see how many of these companies are still around in a few years. I wouldn't buy one without a published road test, so hopefully they're working on getting one to Court at Electric Bike Review for a tryout.
Old 01-22-17, 10:24 PM
pakeboi

What is the price for an entry level mid-drive from an established company with a good reputation .?
Or put another way , what's the least expensive decent mid-drive commuter type ebike ?

Last edited by pakeboi; 01-22-17 at 10:29 PM.
Old 01-22-17, 11:22 PM
Joe Remi

Bikes: Haibike Sduro Trekking SL, Rivendell Appaloosa, Concinnity singlespeed, KHS mini velo (Japan market), Trident Spike trike

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 653 Post(s)
Liked 91 Times in 74 Posts
Originally Posted by pakeboi
What is the price for an entry level mid-drive from an established company with a good reputation .?
Or put another way , what's the least expensive decent mid-drive commuter type ebike ?
I'm not an expert on the topic, but I just paid $2050 including shipping for a 2016 Haibike Sduro Trekking SL. That's close to the bottom of their line, and started at about $3000 last year..I think the cheapest '17 model from them is $2500.

Check out crazylennysebikes.com for the current sale on Haibike and BH bikes. If you're like me and just dipping your toe in the factory mid-drive ebike water, end-of-year clearance in the dead of winter is a great time to get a deal.
Old 01-22-17, 11:28 PM
Doc_Wui

Bikes: GT Transeo & a half dozen ebike conversions.

Quoted: 340 Post(s)
Liked 275 Times in 192 Posts
Good luck guys. Bikes are a bit boxy in my opinion, but at least the battery is integrated. Will your bikes go from Fisherman's Wharf to the Mark Hopkins? If they can take the hilly route, then the motor would be robust enough for me.

Last edited by Doc_Wui; 01-22-17 at 11:40 PM.
Old 01-23-17, 12:24 AM
pakeboi

They claim their bike can do SF's steepest hill.
They have a good back story , and maybe a good bike , but I wouldn't be surprised if they're simply importing a model they saw at their local bike shop in Shanghai selling at less than half the asking price here .
And nothing wrong with that .
Old 01-23-17, 09:56 AM
2old

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 883 Post(s)
Liked 824 Times in 623 Posts
Really be surprised if a 350w motor can climb the steepest hills in SF, and if it could be geared so low, the top speed might be slooooooow.
Old 01-23-17, 11:50 AM
speedy25

Bikes: Specialized, Trek, Diamondback, Schwinn, Peugeot

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 160 Post(s)
Liked 53 Times in 43 Posts
Its just an 8Fun rear hub motor. Nothing special about it but at least you can repair it if it goes bad after warranty time. I can almost guarantee that it wont climb steep hills of SF!

I didnt see a price, but it should be a relative bargain. The only thing really going for it is the AL frame.

-SP
Old 01-23-17, 12:36 PM
pakeboi

Speaking of new ebike companies , what do you think about Elby ?

https://elbybike.com

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.bus...-review-2016-5
Old 01-23-17, 03:33 PM
2old

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 883 Post(s)
Liked 824 Times in 623 Posts
Saw at Interbike and was very impressed with the quality. Also has a BionX 500w system IMO one of the best in the business. Priced at $3500 or so; glad I don't need a commuter.
Old 01-24-17, 02:28 AM
tds101 
55+ Club,...

Bikes: 9+,...

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 1115 Post(s)
Liked 849 Times in 593 Posts
Originally Posted by pakeboi
Speaking of new ebike companies , what do you think about Elby ?

https://elbybike.com

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.bus...-review-2016-5
Oh man,...for a low step thru frame, this baby is SMOKIN!
Old 01-28-17, 05:26 PM
coominya

Bikes: Giant ToughRoad Giant talon

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 705 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by jon c.
I'm always leery about a website that won't display content without javascript enabled.