Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational)
Reload this Page >

Confused about the stack/reach ratio

Search
Notices
Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational) This has to be the most physically intense sport ever invented. It's high speed bicycle racing on a short off road course or riding the off pavement rides on gravel like : "Unbound Gravel". We also have a dedicated Racing forum for the Cyclocross Hard Core Racers.

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-18, 03:01 PM
gus6464

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 353 Post(s)
Liked 92 Times in 67 Posts

So I have started looking at the stack/reach ratio and look at frames that are more comfortable as I am not as flexible as I once was. I got rid of my SS EVO last year and got a Slate. When I test rode the Slate I was definitely more upright than my EVO so I bought it and now I started to look at the numbers and something is not adding up:

All numbers in CM
SS EVO - Size 56
Stack 56.7
Reach 39.3
Ratio 1.44

Slate - Size XL
Stack 58.2
Reach 41.2
Ratio 1.41

So based on this the Slate would have me in a more aggressive position but that is clearly not the case.

Now another bike I am thinking about getting the new Nukeproof Digger Pro

Digger Pro - Size L
Stack 58.127
Reach 40.33
Ratio 1.44

This is a gravel bike that can take some massive tires, so there's no way it's as aggressive as a race road bike.

Plus the ratio on the Medium size is even crazier at 1.39.
Old 10-30-18, 03:14 PM
HTupolev

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quoted: 1979 Post(s)
Liked 1,298 Times in 630 Posts
Originally Posted by gus6464
So based on this the Slate would have me in a more aggressive position
Depends on how the bikes are actually set up. Stack and reach doesn't tell you how high your stem is above the headset, what stem is being used and which way it's flipped, what handlebars are being used and what angle they're at, what brake levers are being used and where they're positioned on the bars, what your saddle height and fore-aft is, etc.
Old 10-30-18, 03:28 PM
gus6464

Originally Posted by HTupolev
Depends on how the bikes are actually set up. Stack and reach doesn't tell you how high your stem is above the headset, what stem is being used and which way it's flipped, what handlebars are being used and what angle they're at, what brake levers are being used and where they're positioned on the bars, what your saddle height and fore-aft is, etc.
Talking bone stock on both bikes. I run the handlebars parallel to the ground. Stems are the stock cannondale which are +-6deg flipped up. EVO was SRAM Red and Slate is SRAM Apex so similar in size. Maybe there is a difference of 1cm of extra stack on steerer tube because of the spacers but would that make a huge of a difference?
Old 10-30-18, 03:34 PM
McBTC

Bikes: 2015 22 Speed

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1543 Post(s)
Liked 51 Times in 39 Posts
All things equal, the higher the stack the more upright riding position the bike can accommodate. The reach has a lot to do with how stretched out on the bike you can expect to be if you take the saddle position is fairly fixed with knees over the pedal spindle at 3 o[clock position and leg mostly extended when the pedal is at 6 o'clock (it oftentimes has a lot to do with things that cannot be changed, e.g., a combination of the length of the top bar and the angle of the headtube).
Old 10-30-18, 03:50 PM
redlude97

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 1975 Post(s)
Liked 232 Times in 173 Posts
why did you buy an xl slate? a large would have had a similar reach figure to your SS Evo. Stack isn't really that helpful of a measure unless you are trying to slam the stem or need something with a huge stack and can't pile on the spacers. The effective stack and possibly the effective reach on the slate could have given you a different ratio depending on the stem length etc. Assuming seat setback is the a good way to compare would be nose of saddle to hoods.
Old 10-30-18, 03:53 PM
gus6464

Originally Posted by McBTC
All things equal, the higher the stack the more upright riding position the bike can accommodate. The reach has a lot to do with how stretched out on the bike you can expect to be if you take the saddle position is fairly fixed with knees over the pedal spindle at 3 o[clock position and leg mostly extended when the pedal is at 6 o'clock (it oftentimes has a lot to do with things that cannot be changed, e.g., a combination of the length of the top bar and the angle of the headtube).
The Slate XL has a stack issue as Cannondale didn't want to make 4 versions of the oliver to accommodate 4 different headtube sizes so they kept the headtubes the same on the L and XL. The headtube on the XL really needs to be 1 inch longer and it can't be corrected with spacers above the headset because the steerer tube is the same from the L so it's too short.

There is a solution though which is not exactly cheap but actually fixes two annoyances. Project321 makes an assembly that replaces the entire 1.5 inch steerer tube with a 1-1/8 one and because it's much taller you can increase the stack by up to 2 inches. Adding 1 inch of stack to the XL puts the numbers where they should be for the ratio to make sense. Plus then I wouldn't be stuck with the expensive 1.5 inch cannondale stems anymore.
Old 10-30-18, 03:55 PM
HTupolev

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quoted: 1979 Post(s)
Liked 1,298 Times in 630 Posts
Talking bone stock on both bikes. I run the handlebars parallel to the ground. Stems are the stock cannondale which are +-6deg flipped up. EVO was SRAM Red and Slate is SRAM Apex so similar in size.
There are still a whole lot of unknowns in this description. Are the stems the same length? Are the handlebars the same shape? If yes, do you have the cockpit components positioned identically on the bars?

(Then there's the matter of saddle position and cranks...)

Maybe there is a difference of 1cm of extra stack on steerer tube because of the spacers but would that make a huge of a difference?
In the terms you're concerning yourself over, yes. It would effectively cancel out the difference in stack:reach ratio by itself.
Old 10-30-18, 03:57 PM
gus6464

Originally Posted by redlude97
why did you buy an xl slate? a large would have had a similar reach figure to your SS Evo. Stack isn't really that helpful of a measure unless you are trying to slam the stem or need something with a huge stack and can't pile on the spacers. The effective stack and possibly the effective reach on the slate could have given you a different ratio depending on the stem length etc. Assuming seat setback is the a good way to compare would be nose of saddle to hoods.
I got the XL because because I wanted something more upright and when I rode both I felt more hunched over on the L which is what I was trying to get away from.
Old 10-30-18, 03:59 PM
redlude97

I got the XL because because I wanted something more upright and when I rode both I felt more hunched over on the L which is what I was trying to get away from.
But you just said yourself that the headtube is the same length on the large and xl, so a shorter toptube(ie reach) would make you more upright assuming they were set up the same
Old 10-30-18, 04:07 PM
gus6464

Originally Posted by HTupolev
There are still a whole lot of unknowns in this description. Are the stems the same length? Are the handlebars the same shape? If yes, do you have the cockpit components positioned identically on the bars?

(Then there's the matter of saddle position and cranks...)

In the terms you're concerning yourself over, yes. It would effectively cancel out the difference in stack:reach ratio by itself.
I have never felt super comfortable with compact geometries as I tried the Tarmac and couple others before I the EVO and the traditional geometry just felt right. I didn't change a thing on the EVO not even the stem but on my two bikes prior which were compact geometry I have to change stem and fiddle with other stuff to get comfortable. I talked to a fitter and he said that when I tried out compact geometry bikes to go one size bigger compared to the EVO. I just felt really hunched over on the L slate as my saddle had to be raised pretty high.
Old 10-30-18, 04:09 PM
gus6464

But you just said yourself that the headtube is the same length on the large and xl, so a shorter toptube(ie reach) would make you more upright assuming they were set up the same
Yes but my saddle height was higher on the L in relation to the bars so I was not more upright.
Old 10-30-18, 04:12 PM
redlude97

Yes but my saddle height was higher on the L in relation to the bars so I was not more upright.
thats not how stack and reach work, they are measured from the BB, the seat distance from the BB should be the same. If the bars were lower on the L then the bikes weren't set up with the same effective stack either with less spacers or different stem
Old 10-30-18, 04:26 PM
gus6464

thats not how stack and reach work, they are measured from the BB, the seat distance from the BB should be the same. If the bars were lower on the L then the bikes weren't set up with the same effective stack either with less spacers or different stem
Don't know what to tell you but the steerer tube on the L and the XL is the same part so spacers are the same. As far as the front end goes (spacers, stem, bars) they are the exact same. The main thing I noticed immediately was that the saddle to handlebar height was bigger on the L.

Don't pro's do this all the time? They use a smaller frame so their saddle to handlebar height is taller so they can get more aero?

Last edited by gus6464; 10-30-18 at 04:29 PM.
Old 10-30-18, 04:30 PM
redlude97

Don't know what to tell you but the steerer tube on the L and the XL is the same part so spacers are the same. As far as the front end goes (spacers, stem, bars) they are the exact same. The main thing I noticed immediately was that the saddle to handlebar height was bigger on the L.
Just think about what you are saying and if it makes any sense at all. Something doesn't add up.
Old 10-30-18, 04:31 PM
redlude97

Don't pro's do this all the time? They use a smaller frame so their saddle to handlebar height is taller so they can get more aero?
They do this because the stack(headtube length) is generally lower on smaller frames, but that isn't true for the slate so the saddle to bar drop would be the same
Old 10-30-18, 04:56 PM
Spoonrobot 

Mentioned: 63 Post(s)
Quoted: 1217 Post(s)
Liked 187 Times in 118 Posts
You can't compare stack, reach, or their ratio without knowing head tube and seat tube angle as they fundamentally affect each value.
Old 10-30-18, 08:52 PM
unterhausen
Randomhead

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 3,699 Times in 2,519 Posts
stack and reach aren't affected by the seat tube at all and the head tube angle doesn't really play either. They are the x and y coordinates of the top of the head tube with the bb as the zero of the coordinate system. It's really more of a lower limit on sizing. A taller/longer person should be able to make things work.

I don't understand why you would look at ratios.
Old 10-31-18, 04:21 AM
dsaul

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 714 Post(s)
Liked 800 Times in 475 Posts
I agree with Unterhausen on the ratio thing. As another person who builds frames, I don't even know what the ratio is supposed to tell you. Stack and Reach numbers, as presented by the manufacturers, reference the frame only and are only a means to compare one frame to another.

The stack and reach of the handlebars is a completely different thing, though it could be related if you use the same bars, spacers and stem on each bike.
Old 10-31-18, 06:52 AM
aggiegrads

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 336 Post(s)
Liked 309 Times in 180 Posts
When setting different bikes for myself, I use "handlebar" stack and reach and "seat" stack and reach. Take a bike that is comfortable to you. Push it up to a wall so the front wheel is touching the wall and the bike is level on a hard floor. Then measure from the wall to the BB and from the wall to the center of the handlebars next to the stem. Subtract the second number from the first and you have a number to replicate on another bike. Do the same thing from floor to bb and floor to handlebars.

Then do do the same thing to the nose of the seat. Once everything is set up exactly the same on another bike, you won't be able to tell a difference in fit. Getting everything dialed in may require adding spacers (don't let the shop cut the steerer until you are sure), changing stems, or seat posts.

Don't worry about the ratio between them. Both numbers have to right for you. Measuring stack and reach at the bars and the seat puts all of your contact points in the right place relative to one another.
Old 10-31-18, 07:23 AM
Kapusta
Advanced Slacker

Bikes: Soma Fog Cutter, Surly Wednesday, Canfielld Tilt

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 2762 Post(s)
Liked 2,537 Times in 1,433 Posts
The ~1cm difference in frame stack and reach you are describing can easily be overshadowed by differences in cockpit.

Are the stems the same length? Are the two bars the same shape and are the levers the same and positioned exactly the same? these can both effect your “effective” stack and reach (from the bb to where you grip the bars)

Also, while it does not effect stack and reach, saddle position will effect how stretched out you are. Are you sure the saddles are in identical position (including fore-aft) relative to the bb and bars?

Last edited by Kapusta; 10-31-18 at 03:28 PM.
Old 10-31-18, 07:25 AM
unterhausen
Randomhead

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 3,699 Times in 2,519 Posts
Originally Posted by dsaul
The stack and reach of the handlebars is a completely different thing, though it could be related if you use the same bars, spacers and stem on each bike.
People have been using "reach" to mean the distance between some (probably nebulous) points on the saddle and the handlebars for as long as I have been riding. And then someone comes along and tries to change the meaning. I don't know if this is why it has been so slow to take off as a sizing metric, but ignoring the saddle position also seems to be a mistake. Granted, using a virtual top tube position is problematic too, but most of us know our size using that. If someone told me the stack and reach of a bike, I would have to go to bikecad to figure out if it fit me.
Old 10-31-18, 07:37 AM
Spoonrobot 

Mentioned: 63 Post(s)
Quoted: 1217 Post(s)
Liked 187 Times in 118 Posts
I’ve only ever used reach to refer to bb to headtube, thus seat tube angle is a relevant value to know. Saddle to bar is a different measurement, I no longer use as the differences in saddle type and position on the saddle preclude repeatable and transferable measurements.

Sorry for any confusion. This graphic is basically my understanding - as seat tube angle changes, the frame reach from bb to head tube can stay the same while real saddle to bar would actually change due to the uncounted “reach” from bb back to saddle clamp.

https://c1.staticflickr.com/7/6033/6...a5a1c0da_b.jpg

I am also not a fan of stack/reach ratio as using one value to determine fit is nonsensical. It’s great to have a high level discussion of frame types over a range of sizes but that’s it.
Old 10-31-18, 07:45 AM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10964 Post(s)
Liked 7,491 Times in 4,189 Posts
What does the ratio between stack and reach have to do with anything? Is that a thing? If so, I didnt realize.
I think a poster in this forum used the same ratio a couple months ago as I vaguely remember being confused about it before now.

Im really confused as to what its supposed to show.
Old 10-31-18, 09:13 AM
redlude97

Originally Posted by Spoonrobot
I’ve only ever used reach to refer to bb to headtube, thus seat tube angle is a relevant value to know. Saddle to bar is a different measurement, I no longer use as the differences in saddle type and position on the saddle preclude repeatable and transferable measurements.

Sorry for any confusion. This graphic is basically my understanding - as seat tube angle changes, the frame reach from bb to head tube can stay the same while real saddle to bar would actually change due to the uncounted “reach” from bb back to saddle clamp.

https://c1.staticflickr.com/7/6033/6...a5a1c0da_b.jpg
your graphic doesn't show that though, its showing the toptube length staying the same 570mm, not the frame reach from the BB, that is why the seat tube angle is affecting the overall reach
Old 10-31-18, 09:22 AM
redlude97

Stack/reach ratio is kinda helpful when you are trying to get a significantly different fit, ie race vs endurance geometry but it's more useful to look at the actual numbers if you have a certain reach you are aiming for and comparing stack between different frames

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.