Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fitting Your Bike
Reload this Page >

New to road biking

Search
Notices
Fitting Your Bike Are you confused about how you should fit a bike to your particular body dimensions? Have you been reading, found the terms Merxx or French Fit, and don’t know what you need? Every style of riding is different- in how you fit the bike to you, and the sizing of the bike itself. It’s more than just measuring your height, reach and inseam. With the help of Bike Fitting, you’ll be able to find the right fit for your frame size, style of riding, and your particular dimensions. Here ya’ go…..the location for everything fit related.

New to road biking

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-20, 01:58 PM
Schieven

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Smile New to road biking

Hey guys,

Background info: I am 6'2" 165-175lbs with a 32" inseam (not sure if that matters for bike fitting?) I regularly mountain bike and used to compete in DH racing. I want to get into road biking and have no clue how sizing works. Some bikes i see use just a regular S,M,L,XL and some use some form of cm or mm for sizing. I can't afford a new bike so I'm looking for a used road or aero bike. (I'm leaning towards aero bikes cause they look so cool) based on the above info on height does anyone know what size bike i should be looking for?

Thanks!!!
Old 05-27-20, 05:35 PM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6196 Post(s)
Liked 4,811 Times in 3,319 Posts
I'd recommend you buy an inexpensive for you, bike from a bike shop and go with what the manufacturers sizing and bike shop recommendation is. While sizing of bikes is somewhat is somewhat the same from one to another mfr, the different type bikes and geometries will feel different so a XL in one may be a L or 60 cm or 58 cm in another.

Don't buy a bike for it's cool looks. Buy it because it's appropriate for the type riding you are going to do. Basing part of your decision on cool looking colors is okay if it comes down to two different road bikes or two different gravel bikes and etc.
Old 05-28-20, 10:36 AM
Carbonfiberboy 
just another gosling

Bikes: CoMo Speedster 2003, Trek 5200, CAAD 9, Fred 2004

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Quoted: 3890 Post(s)
Liked 1,939 Times in 1,384 Posts
Nope. Go to https://www.competitivecyclist.com/S...ke.jsp#results
Take your measurements and put them in. For you, I think the competitive fit. That'll give you a range of measurements. Compare those to your candidate bike. You can pretty much ignore seat tube length, go more by top tube length.

You'll have to research frame measurements for the used bikes you like the look of, should be available online, google.