Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Tandem Cycling
Reload this Page >

Any way to get better fender action on the rear wheel?

Search
Notices
Tandem Cycling A bicycle built for two. Want to find out more about this wonderful world of tandems? Check out this forum to talk with other tandem enthusiasts. Captains and stokers welcome!

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-20, 05:44 PM
fooferdoggie 

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 680 Post(s)
Liked 949 Times in 556 Posts

we will be riding in the rain as it does that once in awhile in portland Oregon. I talked to the guys at the bike shop about bigger fenders but he says that would not make a difference. its just that her foot is so close to the rear wheel. it needs some kind of splash guard. anyone do this?
Old 10-21-20, 07:47 PM
OneIsAllYouNeed

Bikes: Chinook travel/gravel/family tandem, Chinook all-road, Motobecane fatbike

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 232 Post(s)
Liked 34 Times in 25 Posts
Originally Posted by fooferdoggie
we will be riding in the rain as it does that once in awhile in portland Oregon. I talked to the guys at the bike shop about bigger fenders but he says that would not make a difference. its just that her foot is so close to the rear wheel. it needs some kind of splash guard. anyone do this?
Full coverage fenders are the best investment for staying dry. On a tandem, adding a mud flap to the bottom of the front fender helps keep the stoker’s feet dry.
Some fenders have a lot of hardware inside the fender that can send water spraying out the sides. If you’re riding long days in the rain, choosing a fender with a smoother inside (like most metal fenders) is helpful.
Old 10-23-20, 05:45 PM
dwmckee

Bikes: Co-Motion Cappuccino Tandem,'88 Bob Jackson Touring, Co-Motion Cascadia Touring, Open U.P., Ritchie Titanium Breakaway, Frances Cycles SmallHaul cargo bike. Those are the permanent ones; others wander in and out of the stable occasionally as well.

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 427 Post(s)
Liked 339 Times in 229 Posts
Originally Posted by OneIsAllYouNeed
Full coverage fenders are the best investment for staying dry. On a tandem, adding a mud flap to the bottom of the front fender helps keep the stoker’s feet dry.
Some fenders have a lot of hardware inside the fender that can send water spraying out the sides. If you’re riding long days in the rain, choosing a fender with a smoother inside (like most metal fenders) is helpful.
I agree!
Old 10-23-20, 06:14 PM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Quoted: 4806 Post(s)
Liked 3,932 Times in 2,557 Posts
Not a tandem rider but a long time user of good fenders. Good, deep front flaps rule. Many of the flaps that come on fenders are jokes. I regularly drill out the rivets, remove the flaps and screw on real ones that I make. If after that, the stoke still finds he/she is getting wet from the real wheel, I'd put a similar flap on the front bottom of the rear fender. (I am assuming both fenders are full fenders; projecting in front and covering the rear wheel from BB to mid height in back.
Old 10-24-20, 10:29 AM
cyclehealth

Bikes: Easy Racers Fold Rush 1987 Miyata 215 ST Rans Dynamik 1987 Schwinn Sierra Burley Duet

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked 18 Times in 10 Posts
Just read an informative article on fenders here: https://www.renehersecycles.com/journal/
Scroll down list of articles till you get to fenders.
Old 10-24-20, 10:44 AM
Carbonfiberboy 
just another gosling

Bikes: CoMo Speedster 2003, Trek 5200, CAAD 9, Fred 2004

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Quoted: 3890 Post(s)
Liked 1,939 Times in 1,384 Posts
Yes, it's the front fender. Stoker gets it much more than captain. Front flaps should be 4-5" wide at the bottom and come down to ~2" off the ground. I make them out of black rubber stair tread material and bolt them on with fender washers on the inside, bent to fit fender curvature. I put a similar one in the back. I've had the best luck with SKS cromoplastic fenders. I think the model I've been using is now called the Commuter. IME the cromoplastic ones way outlast aluminum, which has fatigued at the attachment points.